Stranger Walked In On Me Naked.

kariii

I don't even know where to begin.. but I will try to make this short..

So last year, I chose to move to San Francisco from Santa Cruz where my mom and my sister live (mainly because they both smoke cigs indoors and I was sick every constant second of lung infections/non - stop coughing.. plus the smell UGH). So I moved here because it had a "Private entrance" with utilities included in rent for decent amount (especially for SF) but then I found this is an in-law and it's pretty much illegal because it's like part of a garage. then the first problem I had, was the internet he claimed was included never worked in my room so I had to get my own so I'm paying 45 dollars extra a month because I had to get a phone line, too. Then about 3 months ago, he started requesting extra for electricity ( either $40 or 60) because the bill went over but HELLO it's fucking winter, and everyone is using their heaters and I'm barely home at all, all I do is sleep here.

My 2nd problem is ever since I've lived here, I've been itching like crazy.. my boyfriend was even itching when he came here and stayed with me it was so bad I thought I had bed bugs, and spent like $300 in Doctor's visits to get itching medicine/ clean my bed and it still never went away (I'm assuming because I don't get enough light here and there is invisible mold or something, that's my conclusion because I can't find a single bug or anything).

my 3rd problem is he constantly emails me about every single thing, like seperating the garbage (I dont have any garbage hardly because I am HARDLY home), making sure the garage door is closed, because my friend left my house at 2 am and it woke his mother (they live upstairs BTW), once bcause I left the light on.. and it just goes on, it's worse than it was living with my laid back mom.

BUT WHAT THE ICING ON THE CAKE WAS, this morning I woke up YES in my birthday suit because I heard bubblewrap (that was on my floor) popping and I opened my eyes and there was a man in the middle of my room saying he was looking at "the windows". I am so heated I called my fiance crying. I am not sure if there is anything I can do besides moving out, but I'm waiting for a position for my job so I can transfer to Las Vegas so I can move with my fiance. I have been living here since June last year. I can't deal with it anymore.

Do you girls know if I can report this living situation anywhere? Or how I can find out if it's illegal for me to live here, anyway I can get my rent back? or anything.. I can do? Thank you so much in advance.

I hardly talk about my feelings but I just cant take this anymore, I have finally broke down and realized that this is unacceptable. Sorry for the horrible grammar, Im just letting my heart out.

BEA2LS

In NJ we have a state office called landlord tenant offic. they handle things like evictions but also complaints against landlords. i would try to find out if your state has on and call asap.
i remember one time i came home and my landlord was in the living room fixing the heat (it was not an emergency the damn thing didn't work for ages at that point!) i was heated but your situation is much worse
ssad.gif

HOTasFCUK

Wow i would move & move out fast!!!! Besides everything wrong you listed, why the hell was that guy in your room? I would've freaked out too!!!

MzzRach

I am so, so sorry this has happened to you. *hugs*

What kind of lease or sublease agreement do you have with your "landlord"? (I use that term loosely, what a creep) Are you on a month to month rental contract?

If you are in the city of San Francisco, check out some of these links:

Housing Rights Committee of San Francisco Housing Rights Committee of SF (advocates for tenants in all levels of housing markets)

San Francisco Tenants Union San Francisco Tenants Union

Tenant Rights, Laws and Protections: California HUD link to California Tenant Rights resources

I would do a bit of research and see what rights you have based on your situation. What is happening is NOT RIGHT. You are entitled to habitable living conditions and privacy. You are getting neither.

Please let us know how things go. *more hugs*

kariii

I am on a yearly lease since June '08, it will expire this June. I pay monthly on time with personal checks which I have copies of.

I have been doing research all day, I have found out that I definitely live in an illegal unit, don't have sufficient heat and it's also fire hazardous. I'm reporting the Unit illegal as soon as I know I will be moving to Las Vegas, because the city immediately considers it illegal and makes you move out.

Thank you ladies for your support and help. It really means a lot to me and I truly appreciate it!

kariii

I just checked the parcel website you posted, Rach and it is definitely reported as a 1 unit/1 story 1 family house when IN FACT, I live downstairs which makes it TWO stories/ TWO units. God, only if he respected my privacy It would have never lead to this.

chiquilla_loca

i'm sorry to hear this happened to you.
th_hug.gif

what a violation of privacy! they had no right to enter w/o prior notice.
did they notify you? did the landlord say, someones coming to check the windows tommorrow at such & such time? did they knock? geez!
i'm mad with you. UNACCEPTABLE!
if this just happened, i would file a police report so you have documented proof of what happened. and it will help if you need to take any legal action against the slum landlord.
i've had to report a slum landlord when they let my toilet plumbing break, and refused to fix it, cause i was withholding rent! me and my children had to suffer the consequences for a few weeks, till i had the apt condemned!
at that point i moved out, but i was already leaving to move out of the state.
good luck sweetheart!

TISH1124

I would careless about lease....Like MissChievous said....MOVE ASAP!!! Your situation sounds dangerous...deal with the legalities later.

Willa

I already mentionned my story a couple of times before, but I want to share it with you.

I lived in a multiple unit building. The landlord was WEIRD.
He kept making me strange comments, here's one :
I asked him if it was ok to leave a sofa in the hallway untill garbage day, he said yes. The day after, he told me he took it because he needed one, and then he said that he loooovvvvedddd it because it smelled like me, my perfume, and that when his wife was asleeep, he went on the couch to smell me...
th_confused_new.gif

I left saying : you should buy it to your WIFE, so it smells like her now...

Then, I started noticing pubic hair in my bathroom sink, then one on my bed.
Saving the details here, but... I shave, brasilian way. Def. not my hair, neither from a man I knew because I wasnt seeing anyone.

Then, a girl in the shared laundry room told me how she felt about the landlord... one day she came out of her shower and he was there.
nope.gif

She left the week after...

My advice : leave, and now!

stronqerx

You should move out. Eff the lease, that unit you're living in is illegal anyways, right? ...off topic, but I really dislike hearing crap about nasty landlords. My parents rent an apartment, and they even leave the heating adjustment on the wall for the ppl that live in the apartment, so it's totally in their control. OF course the bills get higher in the winter, but they never ask for more money!!!

kariii

I am going to move out and I know I need to, but at this point I'm going to move the second my job becomes available for me to transfer into. I can't going anywhere else at the moment. It freakin' sucks so bad..... i'm crossing my fingers, I keep checking my jobs career website everyday to see for opening.

TISH1124

^^ do you have a privacy lock on the inside of your bedroom door that you can lock when you are inside....I would certainly get one and make sure it is locked at all times when you are home.

kariii

Funny you asked I put one in today. I got an email back from my landlord, too.

this is the one I wrote this morning upset:

Hi Vincent,

I just want to reiterate, please let me know when someone is going to be coming in my room. The only reason I moved into this room was because it was a "Private" room. This is the second time (that I'm aware of anyways) that someone has come into my room without my permission. I woke up this morning because I heard bubblewrap popping in my room and there was a man right in the middle of my room trying to look at the windows, not to mention I was naked in my bed. I have no words to express of how upset I am at this situation. Please let me know next time someone is going to come into my room. I don't understand the point of "no overnight guest especially male because of privacy of others" When you let just about any male come into my room without permission.

Thanks.

This is his response:

Hi, Kari, I am sorry to hear that. I totally didn't know about this. I called up the window replacement company to fix a problem upstair. They were supposed to call me to set a time for them to stop by. But they didn't call before they showed up. And I was only asking them to fix the problem upstair, but they wanted to inspect all the windows they installed. I was not home and my dad couldn't communicate with them. They went downstair, knocked your door but got no response so he just walked in. I believe that he also already explained to you what was going on. I have reinstated to my dad that under no circumstance (except emergency) anyone is allowed to enter your room without your permission. Sorry about that, thanks.

aziajs

^^^^Creepy still. I thought by law landlords had to give you 24 hours advance written notice when they are going to enter your apt. Maybe it's a law that varies by state.

Makeup Emporium

OMG I literally would have freaked out!!
angry.gif
Guess the guy is lucky you don't own a gun (or that you didn't use one) or he could have found himself missing some pieces!!

Consider your own safety first and get out ASAP!

Lizzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
^^^^Creepy still. I thought by law landlords had to give you 24 hours advance written notice when they are going to enter your apt. Maybe it's a law that varies by state.

This is absolutely true.

I used to live in a shared house that had mice, no heat or AC (it gets in the triple digits in the summer) and the landlord used to come and go as he pleased. One night, he came by late at night (around ten) to drop off room fans (which, is not a substitute for AC, esp when he charged each person $50 for electric....6 other people) and I was scared when he knocked on my bedroom door and almost hit him with a lamp (because I thought he was a home intruder). Long story short, it was the first time I ever lived away from my parents (I was 17) and I didn't know my rights. I moved out as soon as I could and later found out that he was being sued by other tenants.

I hope you are able to move out soon, and your landlord gets punished. I would've hit the window guy with the first object I could find.

I'm sending happy thoughts your way, and not so happy thoughts your landlord's way.

blazeno.8

Accident or not, the potential of a repairman coming near your private space should have been discussed. These are good resources, thanks for sharing this.

Cinci

are you kidding me? he has a rule that you can't have overnight guests??? i would pack my stuff and move in with a friend, and even call the police to see about pressing charges for unlawful entry.

Lauren1981

i would definitely just move. talk to your job about relocating
that is NOT acceptable by any means. you're paying rent but you're also paying for that privacy and respect and if you did not ask him to come "look at windows" then there's no reason ANYONE should be in your room without your consent.
thats so fucked up