"THANK YOU'S" FOR GOING ABOVE & BEYOND! SPECKTRA IS AMAZING!

Knope2012

This is such a wonderful post! I've been lurking on and off for years, but I've always found it to be a warm, sweet, and very welcoming community. My purchases are much more informed now, and I try things I never would have while skipping something if I have many similar things. Now I just need to get a good camera so I can post helpful swatches like the rest of you
heart.gif

katred

Specktra Bestie
I love Specktra because its a place where I can share my hobby/passion without judgment. Too many people in my real life would think this is just a superficial waste of time and money. However I love getting new products and trying them not only on myself but on others. I've learned SOOOOO much since I left my days as a lurker behind. I've tried things I wouldn't have even considered due to recommendations from others. I enjoy the people here and the interactions come with it, I belong to many forums covering a wide range of interests from video games to books and I have to say that Specktra is the MOST positive one of them all.
My response to that is always to say that all hobbies are in essence superficial wastes of time and money. People (myself included) play sports and video games, follow sports, collect stamps and coins and models, learn to cook really well, follow music, go to the gym... All of those things are strictly speaking unnecessary, but if you don't have things that you enjoy and that make you feel better about life, then what the heck are you doing?

No one is saying that makeup is more important than family or great friendships or scientific and medical advances or art, but it really annoys me when people deride a love of beauty as inconsequential. I hate to say it, but I feel like it's a sexist hold-over. Things that interest women- beauty, fashion, decor, etc. are dismissed as trivial. As you can tell, I've thought about this... probably too much.

I love this place. That is all.

HoneyMilk

I only joined specktra in sept of 2011 so I haven't been here for that long but I have also noticed how sweet and helpful this community is. I've loved MAC for a long time but my routine was a basic 1 color eyeshadow (no primer...lol) eyeliner and mascara. Blending? Forget it. Thankfully in my high school years I had pretty great skin so I didn't look like a TOTAL hot mess. Anyway, I joined because everyone seemed so darn sweet and helpful. I've loved watching how people have gone from "I can't wear that color it's not in my comfort range" to people rocking something they wouldn't have pre specktra. Myself included. Ive learned so much in the few months that I've been here including how to properly stalk a MAC collection :D I'm going to get a smidge personal here... Without specktra and all of the confidence boosting, I'm not sure where I would be right now. I have suffered from major depression for a long time now (years). Sometimes it's impossible for me to get out of bed. Sometimes I can get out of bed but won't leave the house for weeks. It's terrible. Being here has helped me in that I wake up and say, "ok, just shower.... Now that you're showered try some new makeup out for fun... Now that you feel confident in your looks why not leave the house and do something productive?" Even if I'm tired and feel like crap I feel better knowing I don't look like complete hell. Haha. So yes, even if I don't respond much I do lurk and pick up techniques. Many of you have helped me. As a side note about not being able to talk to friends about this, yes, most look at me like I'm crazy. DH and I were out on a double date and my BFF said she liked my nails. I said thanks and told her how I've been practicing and make my manicures look almost professional. She turned to her BF and said, "Aren't you glad I'm not like that?" So basically my poor sweet husband will sit down with me if I ask him to so I can show him my new products, but no one else. Apparently I'm vapid and materialistic. Ok now I'm just rambling lol

PeachTwist

Ok now I'm just rambling lol
I'm sorry. I know how you feel. I have in the past suffered from depression, now it's more just a constant mental exhaustion. I have college, to cook and clean and look after my Mom/family due to her being unwell. I don't have any friends I can share my love and excitement with. I'm glad you don't let it get you down, though. You're not vapid or materialistic. You care about how you look and you've found some joy in something you didn't think you would. There is absolutely nothing wrong with practicing - shame on her. I'm glad your husband is so wonderful for you, you deserve it and I'm glad Specktra is here to help share your excitement of products with you. :)

mac_aiken

I'm sorry. I know how you feel. I have in the past suffered from depression, now it's more just a constant mental exhaustion. I have college, to cook and clean and look after my Mom/family due to her being unwell. I don't have any friends I can share my love and excitement with. I'm glad you don't let it get you down, though. You're not vapid or materialistic. You care about how you look and you've found some joy in something you didn't think you would. There is absolutely nothing wrong with practicing - shame on her. I'm glad your husband is so wonderful for you, you deserve it and I'm glad Specktra is here to help share your excitement of products with you. :)
HoneyMilk and Peach Twist, thank you both so much for having the courage to talk about this. I have also struggled with this and some days continue to struggle with it. The important thing to remember is to reach out when the bad times come. It will be the last thing you want to do but having the support of people who care makes a great difference. Please feel free to IM me if you are having a bad day need a shoulder to lean on.

duckrodeo

I've felt the same way. I might not be as tempted to purchase if I weren't here a lot, but I really enjoy the sense of camaraderie and the connections I have here. So I figure I'll just need to learn to keep my budget in check on my own.

My response to that is always to say that all hobbies are in essence superficial wastes of time and money. People (myself included) play sports and video games, follow sports, collect stamps and coins and models, learn to cook really well, follow music, go to the gym... All of those things are strictly speaking unnecessary, but if you don't have things that you enjoy and that make you feel better about life, then what the heck are you doing?

No one is saying that makeup is more important than family or great friendships or scientific and medical advances or art, but it really annoys me when people deride a love of beauty as inconsequential. I hate to say it, but I feel like it's a sexist hold-over. Things that interest women- beauty, fashion, decor, etc. are dismissed as trivial. As you can tell, I've thought about this... probably too much.

I love this place. That is all.
werd.gif
Even if you don't understand the activity - if it makes them happy that's exactly why it's worth doing! I'm the lone ranger in my social circle when it comes to enjoying cosmetics. Every one of my girl friends has a makeup collection and/or everyday essentials, but my stash is massive by comparison. I spend a good $100-300 on cosmetics and beauty supplies per month (that's including the toiletries, too, but sometimes more if a MAC collection takes me head over wallet lol). While most of my friends think WTF, they also understand that it is a hobby of mine and I like to have fun with it. I've always loved art and enjoy the art of creating. Makeup IS art. It's a form of expression and even if it is image-based (conceited or not), it is a projection of ourselves using our bodies as a canvas!

I've been on Specktra for a good number of months now and I've never looked back! It's such a great honor to be included in this community of wonderful people saying positive, uplifting things and sharing a common tie.

What I love the most about makeup is that it's my "ME" time. It's a slot of the day just before going to work where I can collect myself, hunker down and just let loose. I earned my bachelors almost two years ago and I've had the same customer-service based position for nearly four years. My resume has been submitted over and over again and still here I am. Instead of being down on my luck (and I admit - I do have my vulnerable days) I always look forward to my FOTD! My makeup products give me inspiration and motivation to keep moving forward. I have to wear a uniform every work day, but I'll be damned if I wear the same FOTD two days in a row
cutey.gif
that's the best part of the day for me: deciding what colors to wear!

Dreaming Dancer

That just breaks my heart that you have been so depressed and have no one to share your makeup love with. Your hubby sounds great. My fiance does the same thing. he is the first person i tell all the new collection news to, and i can share things with my mom, but none of my friends get it either. oh well. their loss.

So glad Spectra has helped you so much. Just goes to show you never know how you can be helping someone and no even know it. :) Hugs!

Spanky

It's so odd to think how we all seem to run in this circle where we've battled or are battling depression. I haven't been on Specktra long, but I can see the kindness. The thing that overwhelmes me the most is to see women complimenting each other, boosting each other rather than ripping us down! It's a very good feeling!

Knope2012

It's great to read all of these stories here. I completely understand. I finished two degrees now and make barely more than I did when I just had my HS diploma, but I always look forward to coming here and seeing the great swatches and reading the discussions. It makes me feel better and more confident. My sweet fiance is great about listening when I ramble about the new products, and even bought my HS haul for me since it would be a few days til I got paid
heart.gif
I feel so lucky to have all of you to talk to and a great fiance at home.

Spanky

It's great to read all of these stories here. I completely understand. I finished two degrees now and make barely more than I did when I just had my HS diploma, but I always look forward to coming here and seeing the great swatches and reading the discussions. It makes me feel better and more confident. My sweet fiance is great about listening when I ramble about the new products, and even bought my HS haul for me since it would be a few days til I got paid :heart: I feel so lucky to have all of you to talk to and a great fiance at home.
Yeh on finishing 2 degress! Don't worry about the money, just follow your heart & passion & all will fall into place! nice that ur fiancé hauled for you! My DH is probably grateful for this site b/c he doesn't have to hear quite as much about MU b/c I come online to chat & get some *great* ideas! Thanks!

martiangurll

You know, for vapid and materialistic girls that we are, this is the most supportive forum I know. Ironical?

I am glad you shared that about depression. I struggle with that too, and yes, putting on makeup keeps me feeling a little bit better about myself. When a person is depressed and has low self esteem, every bit helps. I am glad your DH understands the make up thang and that mine does too. Even if he calls me a hoarder LOL

lmcmullen

I too have suffered from chronic depression for years, and yes the makeup makes me feel a bit better too.

Part of it is that I have a well-paying but not-too-creative job with heinously long hours. Putting on makeup in the AM is really the only creative outlet I have right now. I don't have time to do much else but I DO have to get dressed LOL.

I actually try to keep my stash somewhat secret, I don't share it with hubby or too many friends. And I don't really use a lot of it at once either. But I do enjoy trying different color combinations etc both to look better and to see how they interact. It's like an art project on my face LOL.

People are a lot more judgemental of people who have nice nails, I've found. I have such horrible nails that I've never had that criticism directed at me, but nasty people are more likely be critical of nice nails than about nice face makeup for some reason.

Don't let the jerks get you down!

aradhana

this is a great thread...

i started out lurking randomly in the info boards a few years ago, but only started to come on here regularly in the past year. i love how supportive everyone is, the sharing of techniques etc...and how much fun it adds to the makeup launches. most people don't know how big my collection is, and my family is understanding, even if they think i'm mad for makeup. i have a few friends and cousins who i can share my love of makeup with, but none of them are as into it as me, so i try to limit how much i bore them with my chatter!

baghdad81

I may not always post but I am always online. i love being here and love reading the posts and seeing the swatches and following the journeys of all of you. I may not know your real name but I know who you are. Thanks ladies you really are the best!

PixieDancer

I cannot get over this thread!! I am TRULY honored to be here and call you all my Specktra friends! It's already been said, but you just NEVER know what someone is going through behind the scenes and how much we may really be affecting each others lives with our compliments and support! I think if feeling beautiful on the outside helps lift you up on the inside... HOW can that be foolish, materialistic, stupid, wasteful... and any of the other criticisms we may receive!?

Please know how much I value the time I spend here getting to "know" each of you. It's a high point in my day! In the very superficial world I find myself in on a daily basis (due to my job in the Entertainment Industry) it's so uplifting to find women and men of all ages, races, walks of life, etc. with such positive energy and compassion. It really restores my faith in mankind.

Spanky

I cannot get over this thread!!  I am TRULY honored to be here and call you all my Specktra friends!  It's already been said, but you just NEVER know what someone is going through behind the scenes and how much we may really be affecting each others lives with our compliments and support!  I think if feeling beautiful on the outside helps lift you up on the inside... HOW can that be foolish, materialistic, stupid, wasteful... and any of the other criticisms we may receive!?  Please know how much I value the time I spend here getting to "know" each of you.  It's a high point in my day!  In the very superficial world I find myself in on a daily basis (due to my job in the Entertainment Industry) it's so uplifting to find women and men of all ages, races, walks of life, etc. with such positive energy and compassion.  It really restores my faith in mankind. 
We love you 2 Pixie Oprah! I really never thought how involved I'd become in the posting on Specktra. I lurked for a while but felt like I was missing out on the fun and the inspiration that we give to each other. I was telling my hubby that I had sent a picture to macupsjf (thank u!!!) who was trying to help me with my MU technique & she actually complimented me & said I was beautiful & she's quite a stunner herself...point is I told him that I've rarely seen woman support each other in this way. It usually seems like there is so much tearing down, superficial bs & just feeling threatened by someone for what ever reason. I still have poor eye lash self esteem b/c one of my "best friends" said mine were horrible. I never even thought about them before she said anything. Even the smallest jab can stick with someone forever, whether that was the intention or not. On the other hand the slightest acknowledgement, smile or hello could mean the world to someone. It is so scary & true to think that as much as we think we might know someone, even the person we choose to spend most of time with, you never, ever know what someone is going through. Here/online we can present ourselves in whatever fashion we want but it's important to keep in mind that this really might be the only communication one has with the outside world & in a way friends. It is nice to come on here and talk to each other & I hope it remains that way! FYI- super thanks to Pixie Oprah for saying she would get my goods if I couldn't on Thursday due to health stuff. I'm not holding you to that but it goes to show that there is still pure generosity & humanity in the world & in the Specktra world it's just more beautiful because there are so many beautiful colors, opinions, ideas & thoughts that get passed along & built onto!

Spanky

HoneyMilk, I'm sending u a big hug right now. I don't call liking a manicure or talking about a hot new LS color vapid or materialistic, it's far from that I know you don't know me, but I do know depression. Please know that u can PM me or any of 1000 different members on here who wouldn't drop everything they could to boost you up & listen to you. You are not alone! Big hug! S~

PixieDancer

FYI- super thanks to Pixie Oprah for saying she would get my goods if I couldn't on Thursday due to health stuff. I'm not holding you to that but it goes to show that there is still pure generosity & humanity in the world & in the Specktra world it's just more beautiful because there are so many beautiful colors, opinions, ideas & thoughts that get passed along & built onto!
You can MOST DEFINITELY hold me to that... I'd be happy to help! Just PM me and let me know if there's anything you need me to pick up for you! It's the least I can do to help a friend out... Especially when I know it can mean a lot in times of stress. Just to know someone cares! You are a doll!!

Indieprincess

I would like to say thanks to all of the wonderful folks on here. I'm relatively new to this forum and MAC as well(I just got into MAC last year:) and I'm able to make purchases on the MAC website fully informed from reading all of the insightful posts and fabulous swatches from everyone here instead of having to deal with the hassle at the counter. Oh and much love to everyone who post the free shipping codes :bouquet: