Thanks for the $900, Hello Kitty here I come.

tana2210

just to add, those people on centrelink who people think get "heaps" of money dont really. Ive spent a whole year studying the centrelink system and it treats everyone like crap and no one gets "heaps" money. there also arent that many resoucres for these types of fmailies, the previous howard gvrenmnt undertook a systamtic destruction of free human services resulting in less on the ground agenices available for at risk groups (including free drug services). as such not only are there less resources but less jobs for human service workers.
and I agree IQ is irrelevant but IQ is also based on learnt behaviour and some of these parents and their parents and their parents were all at risk groups, low socieconomic and as such didnt have access to the best eductaion or life chances that others do, their basic IQ may have been quite high but they lacked the oppurtunity to build that due to failure for provison of service. I mean some of these people have to make a living out of stealing, or have avoiding centrelink retribution down to a fine art, peopel with low IQ's couldnt manage some of these things.

Once again this is just my opinion and experiance and knwoledge
of the sector

simplyenchantin

I agree, I was just annoyed about the mentioning of IQ. Having a low IQ does not in any way make you stupid and it's time people recognise that. IQ tests measure how many correct answers a person can get in a limited amount of time on a particular kind of topic. It's on the same wavelength as really intelligent kids who do crap at school, it means jackshit really. I mean did it take Einstein 10 minutes to figure out the theory of relativity? He probably would've been given a low IQ too if that was the question on his IQ test LOL.

And myself being on centrelink, it's really not a crapload of money. My boyfriend has to help me pay my rent and I live in a sharehouse with 3 people so it's not like I'm living the life haha.

Brie

I can honestly say i don't understand blowing money on drugs and such is a great way to stimulate the economy.

I mean i don't think your friendly local drug dealer is exactly paying taxes and really what is he/she giving back to the community - addicts - drugs cost the government a lot too and then what about alcohol abuse......

My point isn't about the IQ's (i don't agree with that) because IQ's really have nothing to do with being greedy and selfish and not looking out for someone other that yourself.

I don't think the government thought hey lets give everyone some money so we can have a great bender.........

Paramnesia

I've spent many years on centrelink, they treat me like shit too. I've had my fair share of shitty times with centrelink and if i could i'd have nothing to do with them if i could. I can't go back to finish my degree pretty much because I can afford to life and study (which is devastating, to get so close to completing degree and just having to give up my place because centrelink wouldn't support me).
My dad gf works in the house sector and deals with a lot of unemployed people who suck off of centrelink and some do get quite a lot of money (payments for children, disabilities, etc). There is services out there for people who are from such backgrounds and are in such situations. There is housing not just through hospitals but also the salvation army. There are people who are employed to help intergrate people in these situations with employment/education services and local employers. Unfortunately many people don't take up these opportunity. Also through the hospital here people can get help with drugs, there's the methodone scheme. Sadly there is more support here for people with drug problems than there is for mental health. Which in my opinion is wrong, I think if we had a strong mental health system, it works towards preventing some people from ending up abusing drugs.

Simplyenchantin, I was saying the whole family has low IQ's, I was referring to the parents. I think its reckless giving people who are irresponsible with money a lump sum, especially since they recieved payments for their children. I know many people who have to work with people like this day in, day out and they all disagree with a lump sum, rather than vouchers which is no different thats the money, it just means they cannot spend the money intended for their children on drugs and/or alcohol.
I personally don't think an IQ test is the best way to test ones full capabilities but for somebody to get so below the average is clearly showing that there is something going on with the family lifestyle.

I think it's been a great thing for struggling people, and like sambibabe's friend it's great that these people can do something for themselves. And i'm sure recieving the payment has been a real moral boost during such a tough situation.

In my opinion I just don't think throwing money around like that was the most responsible choice and we're still not sure whether the last stimilus package even made an impact. It's not just what we do that's gunna impact our economy, we're still quite depend on foreign economies eg. China and the US. As superkaz mention we'll be paying this bad for years. $900 now will seem awesome but when the government doesn't have a surplus to support many community services, we'll start to miss out.

I'm not intending to offend anybody, I'm just giving my opinion on the situation. I'm not ignorant to think that everybody is like that, it's a small majority. But seeing tax payers money being wasted on drugs and parents using their childrens payments for themselves angers me.

Oh a lighter note, I hope everybody recieves their payments soon and can spoil themselves
smiles.gif

Paramnesia

Yeah I just heard they want to hand out a 3rd stimulus package.......

I can't even get a straight answer from anybody whether i'll recieve the current one (if i do a 07/08 tax return), the ATO tells me to asked centrelink, centrelink tells me to ask the ATO..... *rolls eyes*

Brie

^^ do you do your own taxes or do you get them done, and does it usually go into your bank or you get sent a cheque??? I think that's what the main hold up is

I do my own taxes so it went straight through

boudoirblonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie
^^ do you do your own taxes or do you get them done, and does it usually go into your bank or you get sent a cheque??? I think that's what the main hold up is

I do my own taxes so it went straight through

I do my own taxes and it goes straight into my bank, still waiting
ssad.gif

darkorchid

It's not alphabetical, it's totally random so as to help avoid ppl raiding letter boxes for cheques.
My bf got his today
ssad.gif
Strangely he got a cheque too , yet he gets his tax return to his account?

Latest posts