The Battle of Gorgeous Packaging! Is it Worth The Money?

Candycoatedclos

Happy Monday Beauties!​
A few of us here at Specktra Headquarters have been having this debate over our makeup collections and the need to collect everything in pretty packaging. So I wanted to reach out to our fellow makeup enthusiasts and ask: what do you all do when it comes to purchasing makeup in pretty packaging?​
Do you buy everything and hoard the entire collection just because it looks nice or do you skip it and save your money to purchase items that you will use?​
For me, I can answer those questions by reflecting on my purchases from the MAC Cosmetics Prabal Collection Launch. [See the picture below]​
Now, one lipstick from this launch cost $30.00. Of course, the collector in me had to have at least one of them just for the sake of collecting. However, sometimes I wonder if that purchase was really necessary. I mean, yes granted the packaging is very pretty but is it something that we haven't seen before?​
What do you guys think?​
I took a picture of the MAC Prabal Gurung and the Yves Saint Laurent lipstick for comparison purposes.​

Monica

I bought in to the hype for a long time and bought every lipstick in special edition packaging that I could get my hands on. Then they sat on my shelf never seeing the light of day. I refused to touch them because they were too pretty!! I've moved away from that because it seems like such a shame to hoard a beautiful product and never let it see the light of day like it was intended to! Lipstick is meant to be used!!

DILLIGAF

I'm of the thought that if I can't use it I won't buy it. There is so much pretty limited edition packaging (especially from MAC) that could tempt me. However if I can't use what's in it what use is it to me. My collection is already out of control without adding every single cute package that grabs my attention.

mango13

I like special packaging, however I wouldn't buy a product that I didn't like just so I can have the pretty packaging on a shelf. I buy make up to use it, not just to look at it. If a product has a pretty design on it like Camelia de Plume or The Simpsons I take a picture before using it. Having make up that I don't use or don't like to use would bother me and I would see it more as clutter rather than a pretty LE product. Laura Mercier's Spring Eyeshadow/Face palette is absolutely beautiful, but I would only use two out of the six eyeshadows and I overall don't like face and eye products in one palette. I thought about buying it, but having four shadows that I wouldn't use or would have to force myself to use defeats the purpose for me.

Candycoatedclos

I bought in to the hype for a long time and bought every lipstick in special edition packaging that I could get my hands on. Then they sat on my shelf never seeing the light of day. I refused to touch them because they were too pretty!! I've moved away from that because it seems like such a shame to hoard a beautiful product and never let it see the light of day like it was intended to! Lipstick is meant to be used!!
I'm slowly moving to the light and about to de-stash all of my pretty packaging. I can't believe that it just sits there and collects dust!

Candycoatedclos

I'm of the thought that if I can't use it I won't buy it. There is so much pretty limited edition packaging (especially from MAC) that could tempt me. However if I can't use what's in it what use is it to me. My collection is already out of control without adding every single cute package that grabs my attention.
This is so true. Thinking back to the collection from this year alone is insane!

Candycoatedclos

I like special packaging, however I wouldn't buy a product that I didn't like just so I can have the pretty packaging on a shelf. I buy make up to use it, not just to look at it. If a product has a pretty design on it like Camelia de Plume or The Simpsons I take a picture before using it. Having make up that I don't use or don't like to use would bother me and I would see it more as clutter rather than a pretty LE product. Laura Mercier's Spring Eyeshadow/Face palette is absolutely beautiful, but I would only use two out of the six eyeshadows and I overall don't like face and eye products in one palette. I thought about buying it, but having four shadows that I wouldn't use or would have to force myself to use defeats the purpose for me.
You have great will power! Btw, I have and love the Camelia de Plume highlighter! It's so pretty!

allthingsglam

Pretty packaging gets me everytime when I was a lil girl I would ask mom to buy me the pretty things that caught my eye I started carrying a purse when I was 9 years old girly things get me everytime I don't mind paying extra for pretty packaging if its beautiful to wear and beautiful packaging I'm all in buyalltheprettypackaging

Dominique33

The same here. Hello Glam I hope 2015 will bring you joy and happiness and .. Buyalltheprettypackaging lol !

beautyjunkie12

The packaging can be beautiful but if the star product is dodo then its not worth it to me. I want quality inside and out.

mango13

You have great will power! Btw, I have and love the Camelia de Plume highlighter! It's so pretty!
My will power is greatly fueled by my ocd hate of clutter, oh and I don't like having dupes of products(unless it's red eyeshadow/eye products, mostly because they are so rare and I love reddish eye products). I also don't want to get to a point where I have so much stuff that I will have a hard time deciding what to wear. Before I bought Camelia de Plumes I thought this will be the Highlighter to End All Highlighters...sort of...and since then I haven't had a desire to buy any other highlighters... I even skipped Lightscapade and Perfect Topping. I know I'll probably buy some other beautiful highlighter early next year, but this one is just so finely milled and applies effortlessly.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
pompom.gif

Candycoatedclos

My will power is greatly fueled by my ocd hate of clutter, oh and I don't like having dupes of products(unless it's red eyeshadow/eye products, mostly because they are so rare and I love reddish eye products). I also don't want to get to a point where I have so much stuff that I will have a hard time deciding what to wear. Before I bought Camelia de Plumes I thought this will be the Highlighter to End All Highlighters...sort of...and since then I haven't had a desire to buy any other highlighters... I even skipped Lightscapade and Perfect Topping. I know I'll probably buy some other beautiful highlighter early next year, but this one is just so finely milled and applies effortlessly.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
pompom.gif
Have a fantastic new year!!

Trigger

I love pretty packaging but I have to be able to use it. That's a must. Chanel is famous for making beautiful items but I always remind myself at the end of the day I'm buying for the product. Otherwise your just a horder unless your a true makeup collector and I think majority of people aren't.