The best of UK cheapies?

melliquor

My vote is for Gosh in Superdrug. I love everything they do and is just as good as Mac. They have tons of pigments and their eye pencils are amazing for £5.

Princesa Livia

I have a few 17 e/s from Boots and Me Me Me e/s from Superdrug. I bought them before I got into MAC. Those 2 drugstore makeup lines are pretty good for eyeshadows, but obviously there's not much a selection for colours as MAC. Otherwise, I think that they generally have good colour pay-off, although you might have to check out the shades you want yourself to be sure...

Barry M Dazzledusts from Superdrug are really good too! supersoft and superpigmented
smiles.gif
They come in little jars, but the amount of pigment should last you quite a long time!

-moonflower-

17's pressed eyeshadows and blushers are lovely, and really cheap! Their foundation's good too, if you're looking for one.
Avoid No.7 eyeshadows, most of them have awful colour payoff(the metallic ones are alright) and it's only a little bit cheaper than MAC anyway.
Prestige eyeshadow's are lovely, especially the gold one, it glides on and stays put for ages.
GOSH is brilliant for pretty much everything. The waterproof eyeliners are particularly good, and the waterproof stick eyeshadows, which you can use like MAC shadesticks.
Be careful with Bourjois, some of their stuff is lovely, some is awful. The new longer, stretch eyeshaows are nice though, the colour payoff is better than their round one, and they're not as glittery.
Barry M dazzle dusts are alright. I used to love them because they were so cheap, but they're really not amazing. The GOSH effect powder is waaay better if you're looking for loose eyeshadow.
Hope that helps someone, I've just realised how long ago this thread was made...

abbey_08

i love gosh, i use max factor for foundation most of the time, and it mite sound REALLY bad but i picked up an eyeshadow set from primarks out of curiosity and with a primer the colour pay off is really nice, i was shocked!

amber_j

In case anyone still checks this thread for recommendations... I saw some great mineral eyeshadow palettes by Sleek in Superdrug last week - Star Sellers - iDivine : sleekmakeup

The colour payoff was really intense - I'm NC50 but the colours were still true and bright on my skin. Don't know about the staying power etc. There's a 3 for 2 offer on at the moment so I'll probably get some of these tomorrow.

uh_oh_disco

I agree with the Sleek palettes - they're comparable to my pressed MAC pigments. Also, if pigmentation is an issue, try using mixing medium - it amplifies the colour of eyeshadows so amazingly it's unbelievable. 1 part glycerine (about 75p in the flavourings bit of the supermarket) to 3 parts purified water.

chellaxx

^ after seeing reviews about the sleek palette i went and picked up 2! i love them, nice colours, high pigmentation and lovely packaging plus its soo cheap. ive kinda put my MAC/Nars e/s to 1 side coz of these lol

highly recommend them!

and Barry M dazzle dusts.. theyre more fine then the MAC pigments & apply more smoothly. i think i prefer them =/

Blushbaby

It's all about Sleek for me. I'm so glad they've revamped the line. I remember using it when I was about 14/15!

I like GOSH too but think some it's a bit overpriced for a high street brand.

LivingFire

I'm a huge Barry M fan, I think the dazzle dusts are great. I love my 120 Pro Palette I got online too, it's a bit of a cult thing at the moment - those who watch a lot of the youtube MU artists/reviewers will probably know what I mean.

I do have some E.L.F stuff but I found their E/S don't have enough colour payoff, and while I like how their eyeliner pencils go on, they seem to run out super fast...? Maybe that's cause too much of the product goes on per application? I really don't know.

Aside from that, I have an annoying habit of sticking to the pricier stuff... Not great when you consider the fact that I am a skint student! :O

LivingFire

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about GOSH! I like what I've tried by them, definately. I'm currently using their primer, which I really like and my foundation is a mix of theirs and my bobbi brown one (neither is *quite* the right shade for me, so I mix right now... needless to say once they run out, I think I'm going to try MAC.. I could do with getting a new colourmatching done actually, though my skin is a bit of a PITA to match... :S )

Oh, and not totally M/U, but my moisturiser is Superdrug's camomile one - was £1-odd, IIRC, and it's lovely. Doesn't annoy my skin and just does the job!

Bedhead1988

Im not liking the gosh foundation, It makes me breakout
ssad.gif
But some of their brushes and lipgloss's are super fab
smiles.gif

SolarWhite

Is Rimmel a No No over there? I use to use Rimmel's powder as it was the lightest I could find when I lived in England at the time. I hate their eyeshadows but I use their mascaras and lipsticks from time to time.
Birthday Suit is a nice nude lip!

Rennah

Quote:
Originally Posted by enajee
anyone know where i could buy the sleek palette in the us?

I got 2 Sleek palettes on eBay. I love them!
Here's the link, but they are no longer for sale from this seller. Try searching eBay for "sleek palette" at a later date.

Illamasqua is cheap?!?!?! Just checked and it's £16 for a blush, so, er, no! It looks so gorgeous though...

I just saw this thread and wanted to spread the Sleek love, I think the eyeshadow palettes are absolutely AMAZING. If they were about four times the price I'd still think they were fabulous! The colours are beautiful, the texture is lovely and they have brilliant staying power. I really like the design of the packaging as well.
The only other product I've tried is the gel eyeliner and I was impressed with that too. The brush that comes with it is predictably rubbish but the gel liner itself goes on nicely and stays put.

Blushbaby

Illamasqua isn't "cheap".

Solarwhite, Rimmel is advertised on TV about 3 times a day so is another popular cheapy brand over here.

wonderdust

I love my sleek palette the colour pay off is great. I'm also a huge fan of Gosh Velvet touch eye liners. The colour selection is wicked and they seriously stay put. Actually I got some the other day as there 3 for 2 at Superdrug. I've found the Gosh primer really good under my MUFE HD foundation.

I forgot another brand at Superdrug called 2True. I purchased a really lovely purple glitter eyeliner from the range. I was really impressed with it and the colour is gorgeous. Cheap as chips too. I got a clear mascara (to tame the brows), clear lip gloss and the glitter eyeliner for only £5 as it was 3 items for a fiver.