The Dupe Thread: If you have... you don't really need...

justtobenaked

Re: If you have...you don't really need....

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeko
if u have shroom...u don't need Nylon...
if u have steamy... u don't need shimmermoss (imo these 2 colors really look alike...)

I find that Nylon is MUCH more of a frost than shroom...shroom blends the colors together very well....whereas nylon would make you look like a frosty ball (hehe) Nylon is good right below the eyebrow and inner corners of the eye. VERY different colors...IMO

cocodivatime

If I have Sumptuous Olive and Henna do I need Mink and Sable?

I know that some have compared then before. But are they really truely close or is there a noticeable difference

cocodivatime

Quote:
Originally Posted by afloresm13

• If you have Saddle (perm), you don't really need Brown Down (perm)

I have to disagree with this one. I use Saddle with nearly every look I wear slightly about the crease. I'm a brown eye shadow person so I'm one of those people who beleives that a brown just isnt a brown.

Saddle is lighter and closer to the same color as Texture...only without the slight shimmer.
Brown Down is a deeper brown. In my palette Brown Down actually looks closer in color to Courdorouy but slightly darker.

If you love brown, neutral eyeshadow like I do then then you could definitly use both. They are two totally different browns.

chickatthegym

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocodivatime
If I have Sumptuous Olive and Henna do I need Mink and Sable?

I know that some have compared then before. But are they really truely close or is there a noticeable difference

I have Sumptous Olive and Mink and Sable (I don't have henna)... they are very similar but Sumptous Olive is a bit more bronzy on me and Mink & Sable is a touch more green. They are VERY close though and if you also have Henna, I don't think you would NEED Mink & Sable
winks.gif
If I would have realized how close it was to Sumptous Olive (and I like Sumptous Olive better actually) I wouldn't have bought Mink & Sable. But that's just my opinion
smiles.gif

Here's some swatches (on NW30)
SOMS1.jpg

SOMS2.jpg

Mabelle

Henna is different than mink and sable. Although it looks like it could be greenish, imo it is not. It's just a very dull muted gold. I own both henna and m&s, and i reach for henna a lot more.

chickatthegym

^Same with me and Sumptous Olive. It's just a prettier version of Mink & Sable IMO. It's more pigmented too and just a better color
smiles.gif

hawaii02

Quote:

• If you have Antiqued (perm), you don't really need Glamour Check (Starflash/Love that Look)
  • If you have Satellite Dreams (perm), you don't really need Fashion Groupie (Starflash/Love that Look)
  • If you have Naked Lunch (perm), you don't really need Grand Entrance (Starflash/Love that Look)
  • If you have Sumptuous Olive (perm), you don't really need Mink and Sable (Starflash)
  • If you have Tempting (perm), you don't really need Romp (perm) - they're pretty similar IMO
  • If you have Honesty (perm), you don't really need Honey Lust (perm)
  • If you have Soft Brown (perm), you don't really need Tete a Tint (perm)
  • If you have Blanc Type (perm), you don't really need Brule (perm)
  • If you have Jeweltone (LE), you don't really need Violet Trance (LE)
  • If you have Cork (perm), you don't really need Wedge (perm)
  • If you have Shroom (perm), you don't really need Mylar (perm)
Some non-eyeshadow dupes, just for fun
smiles.gif

• If you have Warmed MSF, you don't really need Global Glow MSF
  • If you have Blonde's Gold pigment, you don't really need Gold Mode pigment (it's just a shade or so darker than Blonde's Gold, imo)
  • If you have Trace Gold blush, you don't really need Gold Spill MSF (Trace Gold's texture is much better anyway)
  • If you have Sunbasque blush, you don't really need Eversun beauty powder blush
  • If you have Refined Golden bronzer, you don't really need Sunny by Nature MSF

I disagree with Naked Lunch/Grand Entrance. Naked Lunch was almost white/slight pink at first glance on me, where Grand Entrance a more off-white/gold. Two different textures also.

HeatherAnn

Quote:
Is there a dupe for Bold and Brash from the Starflash collection? Trying to convince myself not to get it
cutey.gif

Do you mean bold & BRAZEN from starflash?? If yes, it's very similar to expensive pink.

chickatthegym

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAnn
Do you mean bold & BRAZEN from starflash?? If yes, it's very similar to expensive pink.

Yes, it is! I have them both and can swatch them if you're intersted
greengrin.gif

panda0410

Both LE but if you have Awash from the Stowaways quad you dont need Magic Dust. They look quite different in the pot, but no matter how many times I swatch them - on me at least - they are identical!

cocodivatime

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickatthegym
Yes, it is! I have them both and can swatch them if you're intersted
greengrin.gif

Oops yes I meant Bold And Brazen

I swatched it on the back of my hand and it appeared coppery. Expensive Pink doesnt come out coppery on my

Chick-I'd love to see a swatch if I could. I've got a list that I'm trying to scale down if I can find dupes...

cocodivatime

I read a reveiw on Notable Blush from the MAke Up Art Collection that said Ablaze blush and Mountain High are dupes for Notable.

Does anyone agree? Ablaze seems so much darker than Notable but I can be wrong.

fallenang3l211

Quote:

• If you have Antiqued (perm), you don't really need Glamour Check (Starflash/Love that Look)
  • If you have Satellite Dreams (perm), you don't really need Fashion Groupie (Starflash/Love that Look)
  • If you have Naked Lunch (perm), you don't really need Grand Entrance (Starflash/Love that Look)
  • If you have Sumptuous Olive (perm), you don't really need Mink and Sable (Starflash)
  • If you have Tempting (perm), you don't really need Romp (perm) - they're pretty similar IMO
  • If you have Honesty (perm), you don't really need Honey Lust (perm)
  • If you have Soft Brown (perm), you don't really need Tete a Tint (perm)
  • If you have Blanc Type (perm), you don't really need Brule (perm)
  • If you have Jeweltone (LE), you don't really need Violet Trance (LE)
  • If you have Cork (perm), you don't really need Wedge (perm)
  • If you have Shroom (perm), you don't really need Mylar (perm)

I think if you have any Starflash ES its hard to compare to a lustre, vp or anything like that. The formulas are so different, which makes the pigmentation different.

I have henna, sumptuous olive, and mink & sable. henna is a little more yellow/gold, sumptuous olive is more green. I love mink & sable, its my fav of the 3. I think, for my skin at least, I get better color payoff.

Naked lunch & grand entrance could not be more different. Grand entrance has much much more glitter, its got a little bit of pink. Naked lunch is an every day neutral. I would not wear grand entrance as an everyday es.

Fashion groupie & satellite dreams..same thing. I don't think you can compare starflash es with anything else. If anything satellite dreams & parfait amour are almost the same.

Tempting and romp..color payoff for tempting is better. Romp and mulch are much closer in color, but mulch you get much better color payoff. Romp disappoints me.

chickatthegym

Quote:
Oops yes I meant Bold And Brazen

I swatched it on the back of my hand and it appeared coppery. Expensive Pink doesnt come out coppery on my

Chick-I'd love to see a swatch if I could. I've got a list that I'm trying to scale down if I can find dupes...

Here are comparisons of Expensive Pink, Bold & Brazen, and French Cuff. They are similar on me but not identical by any means. But maybe this will help you narrow down your list
winks.gif
Expensive Pink has more pink to it, Bold & Brazen is more bronze, and French Cuff is just lighter without great color payoff... it's prettier in the pan than on skin IMO
smiles.gif

swatches9.jpg

swatches92.jpg

swatches9-1.jpg

nursie

my find of a dupe for baby goth girl: uptempo plum from sally hansen's 'insta-dry' line of nail polish. Sally Hansen | Insta-Dri Fast Dry Nail Color

even though the swatch on their site is plummy/purple, it dries to black with the pink shimmery bits.
i ran across this polish in walgreen's today after having just bought baby goth girl yesterday and painting my 16 year old's nails last night with it. i had swatched bgg on a couple of my nails, and yes i did a very low class move: in store swiping. the colors match.

panda0410

If you have Collection 2000 Hot Looks polish in #27 Wham you dont need HK On The Prowl. These colours are almost indistinguishable - you'd need laser vision to be able to see the difference noticeably
icon_eek.gif
This was sent to me as an extra from a very sweet lady and for all intents and purposes its identical to HK OTP!

Hellolover

Hey girls,

can someone point out a dupe for the light blue in the Graphic Garden palette?

i m in loooooove with that color and I don't feel like buying a whole new palette juste for the blue shade (although I might if i dont find a dupe loll)

Thnks!!!