Using pigments to make nail polish / lacquer

FemmeNoir

I have never been successful doing this. Do you just add it to the bottle of nailpolish? How much pigment do yo need?

Thanks!

may_cup

Hmmm, well I didn't really measure it, because I just poured it in from a full pigment jar... But If i had to guess, I'd say about 1/4 teaspoon, but not at the same time. Gently pour in about 1/8 teaspoon first, shake it, then add the rest. You have to shake it like there's no tomorrow though... Its not as smooth as I'd like it to be, but its getting there. I want one of those paint shakers like they have at the home depot... that would fix it! The bottle of nail polish wasn't completly full either... it was like 95% full or so though. I'm still playing, but so far so good!

~may_cup

loveinexcess

Cute! I really like that color.
clap.gif

bellaetoile

oh wow, that is beautiful. i keep hearing about how pigments can be combined with nail polish, but have never seen finished product. thanks for posting!

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drea2447
Approx. how much pigment to a bottle of clear laquer? The color is great!

Andrea

You can start with clear or a coloured polish.

As far as the pigment, IMO, a little bit goes a long way. Just add pigment to your liking. One word of caution. One time when mixing up some nail polish, I kept f***ing with it, adding more pigment, then a little more, and so on. I eventually put so much pigment in there that it broke down the formula and really affected the length of time that the polish stayed on the nails. It chipped off almost instantly.

Cool colour, Macgoddess. It does look like Golden Olive polish. Nice.

MACGoddess

Yes I started with clear laquer, but as MAC Whore said, you can start with a shade of nail laquer as well...

I wanted my color to be opaque not sheer so I mixed less than 1/4 tsp of each pigment (I had 2, so less than 1/2 tsp total) in a glass petri dish first to get out all of the "pigment balls" andmix the two together finely. Then I put 2 small ball bearings (my b/f got me a bag of them from Lowe's for like $2) in the clear laquer, the pigment doesn't mix well otherwise.

I made a funnel with a piece of paper and then funnelled pigment into the laquer. I didn't put all of it in at once though, I put it in in segments mixing it really well in between. I wanted to make sure I didn't put TOO much pigment in it, just enough to get the effect I wanted. If you add too much pigment it will interfere with the quality of the laquer and break it down.

MACGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynna
Now that I'm thinking about it, I bet Dark Soul would make an amazing nail polish...

lol, it does...and I like Blue Brown as well.

aziza

That's nice! With pigments you really get your money's worth..e/s, lips, nails..just about everything. I love them
eyelove.gif

princess

They all look so nice, but I'm so lazy to try it, plus chances are I will spill the pigments more than anything.
tong.gif

Ella_

Im going to try this with accent red and maybe that blue from she shines. It looks horrible on me but Im betting that it makes a pretty nail varnish.

Latest posts