Wayne Goss Brush Collection

sarabeautime

I'm surprised people are complaining about the prices. I actually expected them to be higher considering they're artisanal. But, I was really annoyed by his video stating that flat shader brushes are pointless. It seemed very close minded considering he's a mua. Hasn't he ever heard or cut creases or tried to create a very pigmented look? Seemed kind of silly to me.
I can't agree more. I love flat and dense brushes to pick up more pigment and give certain areas more definition.

That said I have preordered all and playing with them since two days. My more detailed review is coming up but as for the time being, they are extremely close to Hakuhodo G series (black goat other than the foundation brush) in terms of quality/softness. Three of the brushes are almost identical to Hakuhodo ones I own. Also the price seems to be close. I don't own any S series brushes (the fact which I would love to change soon) from Hakuhodo but the form of those look close.

Just wished instead of 3 crease brushes, there would be one shader brush.

LC Balthazar

From his video, maybe the #6 brush can be used as a shader? I know he calls it a blending brush, but if it's flat, we can use it to lay down color, no?

MissTT

I noticed that in the video as well. I was surprised to see it was a little flat and the light bulb went off. I'm thinking that was intentional on his part. I'd still be surprised if it could lay down color like a traditional flat brush though. Brush #7 could be used as a shader well. I rarely reach for a lip brush. As usual, his videos explaining them were very helpful.

Is the foundation brush #1 synthetic?

sss215

I noticed that in the video as well. I was surprised to see it was a little flat and the light bulb went off. I'm thinking that was intentional on his part. I'd still be surprised if it could lay down color like a traditional flat brush though. Brush #7 could be used as a shader well. I rarely reach for a lip brush. As usual, his videos explaining them were very helpful. Is the foundation brush #1 synthetic?
I went back to check that and he didn't say it was. I know he said there was an option to dye it to match the others, but he didn't want want that. Isn't there a Hakuhodo brush that looks like #1?

janette9687

I can't agree more. I love flat and dense brushes to pick up more pigment and give certain areas more definition.

That said I have preordered all and playing with them since two days. My more detailed review is coming up but as for the time being, they are extremely close to Hakuhodo G series (black goat other than the foundation brush) in terms of quality/softness. Three of the brushes are almost identical to Hakuhodo ones I own. Also the price seems to be close. I don't own any S series brushes (the fact which I would love to change soon) from Hakuhodo but the form of those look close.

Just wished instead of 3 crease brushes, there would be one shader brush.
I would be looking forward to your review! I have so many of the Hakuhodo G series that when I saw these im like crap i have already about half the collection. I am still intrigued but if they are very similar i will be skipping.

janette9687

I noticed that in the video as well. I was surprised to see it was a little flat and the light bulb went off. I'm thinking that was intentional on his part. I'd still be surprised if it could lay down color like a traditional flat brush though. Brush #7 could be used as a shader well. I rarely reach for a lip brush. As usual, his videos explaining them were very helpful.

Quote: Originally Posted by sss215

I went back to check that and he didn't say it was. I know he said there was an option to dye it to match the others, but he didn't want want that.

Isn't there a Hakuhodo brush that looks like #1?
I mentioned before that the #1 looks very much like the Hakuhodo G5554 4mm ($45) or any of the other G555_ 4mm the larger number the bigger the head. His looks similar in size to the smaller one which i have. I havent read anything about what hair he uses, I have been actually curious if his black hair bristles are also goat that are dyed. The #1 brush tho I suspect is white goat hair with a blend of synthetic white hairs like the hakuhodo one.

MissTT

Quote: Originally Posted by janette9687
I mentioned before that the #1 looks very much like the Hakuhodo G5554 4mm ($45) or any of the other G555_ 4mm the larger number the bigger the head. His looks similar in size to the smaller one which i have. I havent read anything about what hair he uses, I have been actually curious if his black hair bristles are also goat that are dyed. The #1 brush tho I suspect is white goat hair with a blend of synthetic white hairs like the hakuhodo one.

That's what I think, too. I wonder why so few companies actually list the type of hair used?

sss215

I mentioned before that the #1 looks very much like the Hakuhodo [COLOR=181818]G5554 4mm ($45) or any of the other G555_ 4mm the larger number the bigger the head. His looks similar in size to the smaller one which i have. [/COLOR]I havent read anything about what hair he uses, I have been actually curious if his black hair bristles are also goat that are dyed. The #1 brush tho I suspect is white goat hair with a blend of synthetic white hairs like the hakuhodo one. 
Thanks for this info again. I think I may grab the Hakuhodo one.
That's what I think, too. I wonder why so few companies actually list the type of hair used?
I wish they would. The Chanel brush I had, Le Pinceaux Poudre caused a painful rash. When I called, they just told me the bristles were from of natural origins humanely treated. I know I'm not allergic to any of MAC brushes, so those animals are ok. But other companies, it could go either way. The white goat hair brushes seem to work out fine so I think this brush will be ok. I've been hauling lots of synthetic brushes lately to be on the safe side. I'm interested in where the bristles come from. I did an article on shaving brushes and they tell you straight up, it's badger. Why the big secret for makeup brushes? Badgers are treated as pests in certain countries where brushes are made, so they are prime sources. I still don't know if I'm allergic to their hair or not.

MissTT

Exactly. I'm sure you're not alone in your animal hair allergies/sensitivities. People who don't want to use animal hair at all have the synthetic option. Telling us the actual animal won't affect sales as much as it will affect returns by reducing them.

shellygrrl

Staff member
I noticed that in the video as well. I was surprised to see it was a little flat and the light bulb went off. I'm thinking that was intentional on his part. I'd still be surprised if it could lay down color like a traditional flat brush though. Brush #7 could be used as a shader well. I rarely reach for a lip brush. As usual, his videos explaining them were very helpful.
#7 seems a bit short, IMO, for a shader brush. I could see it being used as a smudger brush, though.
No. All the hairs are natural (goat, I think?), sourced cruelty-free.

nicb2

I may get them individually as well. There are maybe 3 brushes that I'm interested in. Definitely the foundation brush for pores.

MissTT

I got to open my brushes last night. The quality is superb. These brushes feel good in the hand. A nice light weight. The hairs are unbelievably soft in texture, but still firm. Soft =/= flimsy. I can already tell I may want an extra of one of the crease brushes. Their tapered softness is going to be a dream to work with. This morning I used the foundation brush and ehhhh no. I was not pleased. I will be trying again tomorrow. I was about 45 mins late so no time to try new products effectively. I used brush #6 for a wash of gold on my lids. It laid down the color pretty nicely. The color was foolproof so I was expecting it to perform well. Oh and I used brush #2 for loose powder. It was okay. Felt amazing texture-wise, but think I prefer a fluffy brush for all over face. I also decided to use it to set concealer and apply blush and highlight. The tapered end made it perfect for undereyes and cheek highlights. I didn't fall in love with it for blush. There I'd like a bit more fluff as well. I will be working with them again though so there's an adjustment period, too.

Brushes 7 & 8 are teeny tiny. I don't need them, but I could see growing to enjoy them.

Sylvia60

I got to open my brushes last night. The quality is superb. These brushes feel good in the hand. A nice light weight. The hairs are unbelievably soft in texture, but still firm. Soft =/= flimsy. I can already tell I may want an extra of one of the crease brushes. Their tapered softness is going to be a dream to work with. This morning I used the foundation brush and ehhhh no. I was not pleased. I will be trying again tomorrow. I was about 45 mins late so no time to try new products effectively. I used brush #6 for a wash of gold on my lids. It laid down the color pretty nicely. The color was foolproof so I was expecting it to perform well. Oh and I used brush #2 for loose powder. It was okay. Felt amazing texture-wise, but think I prefer a fluffy brush for all over face. I also decided to use it to set concealer and apply blush and highlight. The tapered end made it perfect for undereyes and cheek highlights. I didn't fall in love with it for blush. There I'd like a bit more fluff as well. I will be working with them again though so there's an adjustment period, too.

Brushes 7 & 8 are teeny tiny. I don't need them, but I could see growing to enjoy them.
Thanks for sharing your impressions, Miss TT!

Latest posts