what are your views on cosmetic surgery?

britaniefaith

I am getting a breast augmentation & mini tummy tuck on January 25th and I am so excited. Most people may look at me and think "why would you waste money on plastic surgery?" well I have reasons, I lost 78 lbs and in turn am left with excess skin on my tummy area that I cannot get rid of and as far as my boobs go, that's a personal issue that I've struggled with for a long time so I am saving my money and will be getting them fixed. I don't think anyone should judge someone, it's your own choice if you want to get it done.

Wattage

Quote:
Originally Posted by britaniefaith
I am getting a breast augmentation & mini tummy tuck on January 25th and I am so excited. Most people may look at me and think "why would you waste money on plastic surgery?" well I have reasons, I lost 78 lbs and in turn am left with excess skin on my tummy area that I cannot get rid of and as far as my boobs go, that's a personal issue that I've struggled with for a long time so I am saving my money and will be getting them fixed. I don't think anyone should judge someone, it's your own choice if you want to get it done.

I agree. Everyone has their own reasons for having work done. Myself, I had my teeth done because I had 2.5 years of braces when I was young and my teeth were starting to shift as an adult. I love looking in the mirror every morning and seeing "my teeth but better". I have a great relationship with my dentist as well.

I think in your situation, britanie, I would do the same. Losing all that weight does leave a lot of excess skin - the final touches are a reward for your hard work and dedication to your health.

It's the people who don't exercise and take horrible care of themselves and then have liposuction, only to have it come back (think Tara Reid) that really irk me. It's really their business in the end, but I think it's sad that people have surgeries to correct problems that stemmed from a lack of self care. Not matter how good you look on the outside, it's the inner care that makes the difference. I see costmetic procedures as "tweaks" to a healthy body - not bandaids for bigger issues.

smiles.gif

Jessica

Quote:
Originally Posted by quandolak
The thing is dont most people have to get the boob job redone every 5 years or so?..its something that might put alot of people off.

Mentor (one manufacturer of breast implants) warrenties (sp?) the implants for 10 years. They will actually pay for some surgical costs and replace the implants if there was a defect in them that caused them to deflate. 10 years is the typical "life-span" of a saline implant. But there are of course woman who have had them for 20+ years with no problems. Yes, with an elective surgery you do have to weigh the benefits vs. burdens. At 30, I know that I will have to have a re-do at some point and I'm totally cool with that.

I personally had very little breast tissue to begin with and after breast feeding my son well.....let's just say I was less than pleased with my appearance. For those who are considering any breast surgery I would highly reccommend a great website that was absolutely vital to me choosing a wonderful plastic surgeon and provided loads and loads of information and education.

www.implantinfo.com

There are also links to other types of cosmetic surgical procedures there as well. The ladies are all incredibly helpful and will answer any questions that you may have. To you ladies considering various procedures....Please think your decisions through and be sure you have ALL of your questions answered before making a lifelong commitment. I am happy to answer any questions that anyone may have in terms of my personal experience.

star1692

I have a consultation for breast augmentation on july 17th...im excited and scared....what should i expect?

Jessica

Quote:
Originally Posted by star1692
I have a consultation for breast augmentation on july 17th...im excited and scared....what should i expect?

I would highly reccommend you visiting the website that I mentioned. You need know exactly what you want your outcome to be. I looked at hundreds of photos to find the PS that had results that match what I wanted. When you visit implantinfo there are photos that Dr's and individuals have submitted.

There are a lot of "options" that you have. size, shape, positioning, incision site, etc. For example, I chose round saline implants placed under the muscle with a crease incision.

Know that during the consultation you are interviewing the doc. You're determining if you feel that he/she can give you the results that you are looking for. If you have the SLIGHTEST notion that maybe this doc may not be the right one for you......schedule consults with other docs! Ask what the infection rate is, the complication rate (i.e. capsular contracture, double bubble, mastatia, loss of sensation, etc...)

As far as what will happen: You'll meet with the PS, disrobe, he/she will give you reccomendations, the costs will be discussed and they will try to schedule a surgical date.

I could go on, but I guess my final thought is that you must be prepared. Know your stuff, if you don't understand what the doc is saying be sure that you have him/her clarify it for you. Walk the walk and talk the talk!

Good Luck! Keep us posted
encore.gif

star1692

Jessica your to sweet. Thanks for giving me some info. I have been researching this for quite a while and feel like I know what I'm looking for. I just dont really know what to expect as far as knowing what size to get and what shape of inplant would be best.....round? tear droped?

Jessica

Quote:
Jessica your to sweet. Thanks for giving me some info. I have been researching this for quite a while and feel like I know what I'm looking for. I just dont really know what to expect as far as knowing what size to get and what shape of inplant would be best.....round? tear droped?

At implantinfo you can search for those particular types of implants and see the results that they gave other women. The only potential problem w/ tear dropped is that they can rotate in the pocket and make your breasts or breast appear very unnatural. Most docs don't offer them as well.

I'm so happy for you!!!!

Nicoletta

Hey, it's a personal decision and no one has the right to judge another person if they choose to have "work" done. I personally wouldn't have cosmetic surgery just because I'm happy with what God gave me, but more power to whoever wants to get a "touch up"
lol.gif

dollbabybex

Quote:

sorry i thanked instead of quoted again!!

I had my consultation in may

heres what happed.

He asked my reasons and concerns.

then he explained what happened, in extreme detail.

he went thru all the risks then

answering all my millions of questions,

and to be fair most things are fixable!and covered too!

then he examines your breasts, sees how much tissue you have what shape your breasts are... and if he can acheive what you want.

he also checked the strength of the muscles under my arms.

then the BEST bit, you get to play around with the impants and try them in your bra.

then you discuss which ones you'll go for.

He said to contact them if i wanted to go ahead.

but my friend has had her boobs done by him, and i was impressed.

so he arranged his secratary to call me within a week .

i was really nervous, i had my x bf with me.

i was the most devestated when i had to be topless.

by the way a nurse MUST be present to supervise.

(prob to check the surgeons not a perve!)

it lasted about 40 minutes in total

HTH x

sorry i forgot to say he showed me loads of photos of previous operations hes done.

Jessica

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollbabybex
and to be fair most things are fixable!and covered too!

But how many times do you want to go under the knife? Better to do it right the first time or not at all. JMHO

star1692

Thanks dollbabybex.....That actually answered alot of questions...I guess I'm just really nervous about what the PS is going to think about me and I really have no idea what size I should get so I look perky and cute but not over done. I'm thinking I want to get round smooth unders and a crease incision....????

dollbabybex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica
But how many times do you want to go under the knife? Better to do it right the first time or not at all. JMHO

oh yes of course i want it to be perfect the first time

... fingers crossed everything will go swimmingly.

but you have to know your options if anything did ever go wrong
smiles.gif

dollbabybex

Quote:
Thanks dollbabybex.....That actually answered alot of questions...I guess I'm just really nervous about what the PS is going to think about me and I really have no idea what size I should get so I look perky and cute but not over done. I'm thinking I want to get round smooth unders and a crease incision....????

no problem hun... just makesure he doesnt pressure you into goin bigger than you want.

althought they say the number one complaint, is people people wishing theyd gone a bit bigger.

im having cohesive gel, round, crease incision.

apparantly tear drop can turn upside down... makeing an unusual shape.

but then my friend had teardrop and hers are fine.

I have about 6 friends with implants, and none have had any problems. some have had them for years.

good luck x

Chic 2k6

I agree with CS, I myself want it but Mom won't let me at all because I'm 16, i had my mind set on complete CS since i was 14, and i will do it when im in my 20s.

Beauty Mark

I personally do not like the idea of added stress on the body, so I am not for plastic surgery myself. However, I think it's up to the individual. I'm only really against it if the person has unrealistic expectations of what'll happen after a procedure (instant success, fame, love, whatever have you.)

little teaser

i got breast implants eight years ago and have had no problems i have the saline round ones and i plan on going back to get them replace with the silicone ones that look and feel more real and the other reviewer was right you can cut them in half and they dont move the gel that is in them but i dont think there is anything wrong with any plastic surgery thats a personel choice and if you can improve something to make you look good and feel better about your self i say go for it..

kradge79

I used to be completely against any kind of cosmetic surgery, but my opinion has definitely changed. Quite a few members of my DH's family have gotten implants in the last few years, after their children "sucked the life out of them." They talked about how horrible their breasts looked after breastfeeding. I'm small to start (34A), so if after I have kids, my breasts look terrible, I might consider it. If it makes you feel good, who am I to say no?