What is it like where you live?

BarrelOfDonkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennah
oh.gif
No Tim Horton's???
I looove the Timbits...
tong.gif

I know, eh? We have a Robin's, but they're not nearly as good.

pink_lily002

I live in area called Lutherville, which is about 15 minutes away from Baltimore city. I absolutely love this area! I can see the highway from my apartment windows, but it's not loud or freaky at all. My apartment's location is actually perfect for me. Since I can see the highway, you can pretty much figure out that I can easily hop on the roads to get wherever I need to go. There are multiple malls in the area, including one (Towson Town Center) that's less than five minutes away with a MAC store! I even work in a mall that has a CCO, though not a very good one. There isn't a lot of crime in this area - most of that happens in the city, though occasionally my area will make the news because of something happening at the fairgrounds, which are a mere ten minutes away from me. There's TONS to do around here too, from bars/clubs to football games and art museums.

ooshkey

I currently live in Kaiserslautern, Germany, which is about an hour and a half away from Frankfurt. It's lovely here. Downtown has lots of shops and other things to do. We only have one MAC counter here, but I'm not complaining. It's just a 10 min drive to get to it.
thmbup.gif
My part of town is particularly quiet. The only bad thing about it here is the weather. No matter what season we're in, we end up experiencing all 4 of them, lol. I only have less than a year left here. From there, I have no idea. It all depends on where the military sends me.

I'm originally from Alexandria, Virginia, which is about 10 mins south of Washington, D.C. I do miss the craziness of the city life but I love seeing new places. For me, there's no place like home!

kittykit

I've been living in Prague, the capital of Czech Republic for 27 months now. I live in the quiet suburb and love it here. It's close to my workplace and a mall where they recently open a second MAC store!

shootout

I'm living in downtown Cleveland. Just moved here about a month ago. It's pretty nice, as long as you don't go out at night. But you get that with any city. My closest MAC is....3 minutes away.

ClaireAvril

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalikana
I live in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. And I honestly love it. It's more suburban, but I love it even though I'm more of a city girl. It takes less than 30 minutes to get to downtown Toronto (if there's no traffic), and 1 - 1.5 hrs to commute to school (I go to Ryerson in downtown). Everything is so close! Square One (with 2 MAC Stores and a Sephora) is less than 10 minutes away.. I can walk to the groceries, drugstore, bank, library, even the liquor store! (LCBO)

Hiya!
I live in Brampton, Ontario, Canada..
Its like Mississauga (suburbs).. but I think Mississauga is better than Brampton.. I love that it is close to Toronto.. its a big established city with a nice mall.. square one.. (which has my favourite MAC store).
Also Mississauga has this cute condo area (kinda downtown looking).. all brampton has is HOUSES.. HOUSES EVERYWHERE.. and consistant traffic.
We have 1 MAC couner in the Bramalea City Centre @ the Bay but I like the freestanding stores where I can get my palettes.
I work downtown Toronto (near Ryerson) and the difference between the cities are like night and day.

C

emeraldjewels

I live here Solihull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its a really nice town, we have lots of nice shops in solihull and i'm only 25 minutes away from birmingham city centre which has 2 mac counters and a freestanding mac store. we are close enough to the motorway to be able to get anywhere in the country. I live within a 15 minute drive from an airport, train station, concert venue - we have all major bands come to the NEC.

My mom and me often go for a day out to London, which is about a 2 hour drive. Its right in the centre of the UK so its accessible for anyone visiting. I love where I live. The only place i'd swap it for would be to live in the USA.

Shadowy Lady

another Canadian girl here
smiles.gif

I live in Ottawa, Canada. The city is very clean (much cleaner than other capitals I've seen), organized and due to its location by a river and a canal, very beautiful. The population here is just about 1,000,000. People are famous for being very polite and somewhat conservative. The temperature is warm in the summer and VERY cold in the winter. Winters are very long, no surprise here, but people stay active by skating on the canal,...and tolerate the long winters.

We have 3 MAC counters here and one freestanding store...oh and one Sephora that opened a few months ago.

I love it in Ottawa, I would like to see other cities but I doubt that I would want to live anywhere else
smiles.gif

Shadowy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelOfDonkeys
.... We don't even have a Tim Hortons!

No Timmy's? Girl, how do you survive? I practically live on their coffee and donuts!

SNOTCROW

I live in Sweden, in the south part in a small city called Lund. This place is great, mostly because of its academic history. The University of Lund was founded in 1666, and right now about a third of the city's population (10 000 of total 35 000) are students. They come from many differents cities in Sweden, and quite a few exchange students from all over the world. Average age of Lund inhabitants is 27 years (at least I heard)! We have a lot of bohemians, old professors, interesting buildings, parks... Virtually NO crime (besides a lot of pot smoking students of course....).
Of course, shopping isn't great, but I don't mind. I buy a lot of stuff off the internet (mostly because of the price) and the next town, Malmö, is the third biggest city in Sweden and YES there's a MAC counter there - yay!

couturesista

I live in Baltimore. I love the city, although it has it drawbacks, traffic, noise, overcrowded on the weekends ( clubs and all) but I wouldn't give it up for anything, its home. Its very multicultural and its a very artistic driven city. There's always some type of Festival going on here.

aleksis210

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykit
I've been living in Prague, the capital of Czech Republic for 27 months now. I live in the quiet suburb and love it here. It's close to my workplace and a mall where they recently open a second MAC store!

Do a lot of people speak english there?...I can speak a little bit of slovak (My bf family is from slovakia) but not nearly enough to be able to get around if no one speaks english, just wondering because I would love to visit...

crystalclear

I grew up just outside Glasgow in an area infested with neds who thought that deep fried pizza was "classy" (an actual quote from someone I was in school with), but now live in the East Midlands, the actual city is awful but the area where I live is quite and is nice enough and its easy enough to go to Nottingham for decent shops. I didn't realise there were so many Scots on specktra but then again most of the people I know back home love their makeup...

I live in Ontario (Canada) in Whitby which is in the suburbs. For now Im really liking living here. Its a quiet town (only 100,000 people) but everything you need is relatively close. And its only 30 mins from Toronto. I do want to move to the city once i graduate university though

malteze_bubbleg

I am from a small island in the mediterranean called Malta. born and raised. i love it there because its VERY safe, everyone knows everyone , people are friendly..and you can get anywhere on the island in no time. you can walk alone in the streets at 4am because noone will harm you. we walk to wherever we want to go in teh village you want. like we walk to go get groceries!!!! Mediterranean ocean is everywhere and its beautiful. the only thing i dont like about it is that its very limited to when it comes to opportunities in life and its VERY expensive since we import everything.

BUT .....now i just moved to the US because my husband is from here. I miss Malta a lot but i try not to think negative cos it will only depress me!!!I now live in South Carolina....first i was living in a place called rock hill which is too country for me..all you see if trees and u have to drive far to get somewhere...i am so not used to that. now we moved to a place called anderson because he is going to Clemson university...and i prefer it a lot here because we have everything on one road....super markets, banks, restaurants...you name it....but no MAC store here..i have to drive 30 mins to Greenville for that!!!! (or just purchase online!).

but yeah like someone else said..its pretty much the same everywhere at the end of the day. you go to work and you come home. It can get boring in other places too...but its always nice to travel and get a lil break from the normal surroundings!

melliquor

I live near central London. I love it... i like being central because I can go shopping when i want and am close to everything. I have mostly everything walking distance... i am also on the central line and only a few stops from Oxford street. We live in a mostly bengali community which is great... everybody knows each other and it is safe for the kids to play outside. You don't have to worry about drugs, noise, or violence which in other areas of london are really bad right now... especially with all the stabbings that have been happening.

I wouldn't mind moving someday but i don't want a mortgage... we own our house outright. I also like that i am so close to work... it takes me about 20 min to get to work... i could walk it in about 40 min. Mostly everybody at my work commutes for over an hour and spends about £3000 on travel a year. I spend about £500 for a yearly bus ticket.

kittykit

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksis210
Do a lot of people speak english there?...I can speak a little bit of slovak (My bf family is from slovakia) but not nearly enough to be able to get around if no one speaks english, just wondering because I would love to visit...

Ahoj!
smiles.gif
My boyfriend's a Slovak too!
th_DANCE.gif
I only understand a bit of Slovak and my Czech is still very bad.

Do a lot of people speak English there?
Yes and No. I work for an international company and there are more than 56 nationalities working in this building, so everyone speaks English. I believe 90% of the people working in this business park speak English.

Not everyone speaks English here especially the older generations. If you go to shops, most of the people don't speak very good English or they don't speak at all! I've problems with the MAC makeup artists a few times because they didn't get what I was saying
th_dunno.gif

Jinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by -moonflower-
I live in the west of Ireland, in Galway city. I live around a 10 minute walk from town, and a 5 minute walk from the university I'm going to, so it's pretty handy.
I guess it's a pretty nice place to live, except for all the rain. There's plenty of green areas and nice things to look at, but the weather really is brutal. It rains pretty much every day. And everything just looks grey and depressing in the rain.
You can pretty much walk everywhere here, which is good cos I don't drive and I don't plan on learning to. The buses could do with being more frequent and cheaper though.

I just visited west Ireland for the first time last week. It was so beautiful but it did rain all the time
yes.gif

I live in Denmark. I'm quite happy with that. I've lived in the US and Russia, but Denmark is still the only place that feels like home. Makeup is expensive here though, so I usually buy when I travel.

emeraldjewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by melliquor
I live near central London. I love it... i like being central because I can go shopping when i want and am close to everything. I have mostly everything walking distance... i am also on the central line and only a few stops from Oxford street. We live in a mostly bengali community which is great... everybody knows each other and it is safe for the kids to play outside. You don't have to worry about drugs, noise, or violence which in other areas of london are really bad right now... especially with all the stabbings that have been happening.

I wouldn't mind moving someday but i don't want a mortgage... we own our house outright. I also like that i am so close to work... it takes me about 20 min to get to work... i could walk it in about 40 min. Mostly everybody at my work commutes for over an hour and spends about £3000 on travel a year. I spend about £500 for a yearly bus ticket.

I would kill to live in central London. London is one of the best cities in the world. I love it so much. If I didn't work for my family business, I would live in London
thmbup.gif

vocaltest

I live in Pluckley, near Ashford in Kent (UK). Its apparently the most haunted village in the UK, but I've never seen anything (I always go by the most scariest thing you'll see in Pluckley is me drunk haha), it was featured on Most Haunted recently, also on The Sunday Night Project and Top Gear (boy did I whinge when domino's delivered out to Richard Hammond but they won't bloody deliver to me will they! PFFFTT!!) and if anyone of you UKers have heard of it The Darling Buds Of May were filmed here, which meant I once had lunch with David Jason and Catherine Zeta Jones hah!
I love it here. Its so pretty and quiet. Sometimes I hate living out here because right now I'm home alone (parents are on holiday, my brothers away on business) so I get pretty scared with the ghosties (hehe) and being in the middle of nowhere. I'm pretty lucky because I live right opposite the train station so its 7 minutes into Ashford and just over an hour right into Charing Cross in London, so before I drove I didn't have to rely on lifts. Its only 15 minutes drive into Ashford (not that thats anything special!), and its only 30 minutes drive to Canterbury (nearest MAC counter is there but I buy all my MAC in Brighton mostly. I'm kinda near Maidstone too which is good for shopping and near Bluewater (ish). Nothing is within walking distance of my house, the village shop is two miles away up a hill (i'm lazy, i'll drive!) but I like it.
I love it here when I think about it, I whinge when I go out on the piss (hahah) because its such a hassle getting back, but I wouldn't change it. Completely peaceful, big garden, I can walk Macey dog across the fields and to the stream and the woods, so quiet and just general country life. I'd hate to move away from here, all my best friends live in Ashford or nearby, and my family are here. I love it!!

This is a birds eye view of the main part of the village...

http://www.greenbard.8m.com/Images/pluckley.jpg

I live further out of there though, couldn't find a decent picture, sorry! Google image it, its pretty
smiles.gif