Where are you from and where are you at???

jenee.sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
Dude, my husband is Guyanese, he told me that there are ppl with Chinese background in Guyana and I never believed him..hehe small world, we're all in Canada now
choochoo.gif

haha that's funny! there are TONNES of chinese in guyana. it's so weird, but try to picture my dad's accent..it's a cantonese accent, but also also mixed with a guyanese accent cuz he learned his english in guyana. it's SO weird if u listen to it, but just when you think he has this weird little sounding cantonese accent, he'll bust out "TREE" (for #3) haha

Shadowy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenee.sum
haha that's funny! there are TONNES of chinese in guyana. it's so weird, but try to picture my dad's accent..it's a cantonese accent, but also also mixed with a guyanese accent cuz he learned his english in guyana. it's SO weird if u listen to it, but just when you think he has this weird little sounding cantonese accent, he'll bust out "TREE" (for #3) haha

th_LMAO.gif
my dad says "tree" too. That's because of hi Persian accent though...lol! We've tried correcting him a lot but he just can't say it.

BloopBloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenee.sum

i LOVE guyanese people! They're so fun and just out there. every guyanese person i've ever met always ends up in a great friendship. <33
yahoo.gif
(not to mention the guys are friggin cute)
cutey.gif

leenybeeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvs Queen
So yeah, I think about this a lot. I am originally from Western North Carolina but I now live in Tirol, Austria. I always wonder about where people originate from and where they have migrated to over the years. I know that I am not the only one. I just thought that this would be a cute little way to get to know each other a bit better. So please, spill the beans.
smiles.gif

Great idea.. I would love to know how/why you made the transition too!

leenybeeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenybeeny
Great idea.. I would love to know how/why you made the transition too!

Duh, would help if I read the rest of the thread!!

I was born in East York, Ontario, Canada and now live in Oakville, Ontario, Canada
winks.gif
Not a huge leap, but my family have all come up here from Trinidad and live within 20 minutes of me, so I am staying put! I wouldl ove one day to move to Arizona or Australia.

TexasBelle

I was born in Alexandria, Virginia (on the east coast of the U.S.), but not long thereafter my family moved to Virginia Beach, which was literally right on the coast (the beach was across the street).

Around age 7, my family moved to a little town in northwest Louisiana (in the southern U.S.), where my maternal grandparents (and a lot of aunts / uncles / cousins) lived. I grew up there.

In my twenties I moved to Texas to go to graduate school at Texas A&M University (which is in that part of central Texas where the terrain just starts to turn to scrub land and desert; little rain, hot nearly year round). I've ended up staying in Texas . . . lived here now for over 10 years.

A few years ago we (that is, my partner and I) moved to a town in East Texas when we got new jobs at a university here. I like it here - a lot more rain and trees than in central Texas. We get a real "Springtime" here - March and April are BEAUTIFUL.

sinergy

^^The weather is one thing I love about NE Texas where I live now..the season actually changes, not like living near San Antonio, last time we went home to visit, it was so dry and...brown. everything was brown. And we get so much rain at this time of year, our grass is so green and our flowers and trees are beautiful

MrsRjizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloopBloop
Born in Philippines, and i live in NYC =] And would like to end up in Canada, New Zealand or Portland!

Why Portland?? As in Portland, Oregon? I cant image going from New York to Portland. You have friends or family there?

MrsRjizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinergy
wow! so interesting to see where everyone is from or is currently at. =)

I was born and raised till a teen in Caldwell, Idaho moved to San Antonio when my dad had to help with the family business, did high school some college married and kids there, and for the past 3 yrs have lived in a little town called New Boston, Tx after my hubs got a job with the D.O.D. Its small and country and nothing like where we used to live, but my kids love it here.

OMG I grew up in Payette Idaho and then moved to Boise and finished Highschool... Im so glad you moved. I swear those that I know that are still there... their life stands still.... no one changes and nothing ever happens there!

Cinfulgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieR429
I was born and raised in a place called Highland Park CA, I moved to Palmdale in my teen years

Oh how cool!! I lived in Palmdale before I came to Texas ,nice to know someone knew where I lived 5 years of my life ^_^

Sabrunka

I was born in Windsor, Ontario.. Now I'm in london, Ontario.. Wow what a move!! A whopping 2 hour drive!! Lol. My family originates from Romania, I'm the only one in my family who was born in Canada
smiles.gif

ClaireAvril

This is fun.
But my story isnt that interesting.
I was born in Toronto.. now I live just north west of Toronto.. yay
I would loveee to live in Montreal QC or London UK.

jenee.sum

^^^ T dot to the O! what what!
th_sign_woot.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
th_LMAO.gif
my dad says "tree" too. That's because of hi Persian accent though...lol! We've tried correcting him a lot but he just can't say it.

my dad too. when my parents try to say "shit"...they say "sit" HAHAHAHAHAHA that's when the cantonese accent comes in. haha just like the H in three, they totally miss the H in shit.
th_dunno.gif
lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloopBloop
i LOVE guyanese people! They're so fun and just out there. every guyanese person i've ever met always ends up in a great friendship. <33
yahoo.gif
(not to mention the guys are friggin cute)
cutey.gif

i use to work with this guyanese lady, her personality just cracked me up all the time. my dad's not funnie tho..the closest to funnie he's ever been is that he thinks my mom is crazy too. haha

Willa

I was born on the south shore of Montreal-Quebec-Canada in a city called Boucherville. About 10 minutes by car.

I moved in Montreal 5 years ago, but I don't think I'll raise my childs here. I need a home with some place for that :p

I wish I could live in New York
One day...
graucho.gif

nelyanaphonexia

oooh! this is fun! I love getting to hear stories about "migration"
greengrin.gif

I started out in Corpus Christi, Texas - I lived on North Padre Island. I was a beach bum.

My father worked for the US Military so I spent lots of time in other areas, although we kept our home in Corpus Christi. Most of my summers and sometimes spring and/or fall was in another city.

I spent a few years in Fresno, CA when I was a kid - nothing permanant though. But I loved being in CA. It was a nice place, I will forever remember the amazing fresh strawberries there. Yum!
greengrin.gif

I also spent a time in Mystic, CT. Another lovely little town.
greengrin.gif

From there my family was in Montreal for a time. Only about 4 months, but I had an amazing time.
greengrin.gif
I want to go back and visit some day.

Then I moved to Lubbock, Texas for college. Lived there for almost five years. Where I met my husband!
greengrin.gif

I spent a huge amount of time in Dallas, Texas (Southlake/Grapevine area) before I got married. I consider it a second home!
yes.gif

Now my hubby and I live in Leawood, Kansas (suburb of Kansas City) It's a nice area, but we really want to travel the world before we get too old and stuck in our ways.
winks.gif
I would love to live in Melbourne and London to experiance the culture and people.
greengrin.gif
Right now, I'm trying to convince the DH to take a job in Germany. He said he doesn't want to learn German...so...I don't know how that is going to turn out. :p I think I will always consider Texas my "home" though. There is just a soft spot in my heart for my home state.
greengrin.gif
If I don't end up retiring abroad somewhere exotic, I would love to end up on a Texas Hill Country ranch with horses and such.

sinergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRjizzle
OMG I grew up in Payette Idaho and then moved to Boise and finished Highschool... Im so glad you moved. I swear those that I know that are still there... their life stands still.... no one changes and nothing ever happens there!

I know! Ive been in touch with people I grew up with thru myspace and for the most part. nothing has changed at all
shockt.gif
just more crowded I suppose, so they say. I dont mind going to visit, but yea, not for me anymore.

and nelyanaphonexia...woot woot! padre island!
lol.gif
my mom and brother were there on the jetties yesterday
greengrin.gif