Who are your real friends?

Strawberrymold

When I was in HS I had a ton of friends. I went to very small schools (my HS graduating class had 6 people in it ) so we were all like family. I really did think it would be that way forever. Then as we all went our different ways I remember being surprised at how quickly we all lost contact with each other. Of course some of us still remain close (me and my BF started school on the same day and have been roommates for nearly 10 years now... that's my girl and I love her!) But out of a pool of 30 people or so, I still talk to maybe 5-6 of them.

My point was, everything changes. Although I only speak to a handful of the people that were important to me in HS, I met new friends in college and beyond. I grew up, grew out of friendships and grew into new ones.

It sounds to me like you already know the people who are most important in your life. Hang on to them and new friendships will come as the old leave.

kaliraksha

I'm also a quality over quantity person. I've noticed in my life that I've been a lot of people's good friend of best friend, but I've had very few people that would do the same for me. I'm generally surrounded by people and am generally agreeable and friendly which is why I make friends easily when I want to. But, I've also learned that you can't expect one person to have it all. I have a friend who "gets me"... I think she and I are very similar so I talk to her about the deeper stuff, I have a friend who I've had for a long time and knows me from middle school so it's really comfortable with her, I have a friend who is really sweet and a die hard friend and would do whatever she could to help me out, I have a friend who is an absolute blast to shop and go out with and she is my girl to call on when I need some cheering up the material way, I have a friend who is a relationship expert because she has dated so much so I vent to her about love troubles, and then I have my boyfriend who I can honestly tell anything to. My mother has also instilled in me that friends come and go and don't always have your best interest in heart, but your family will always be there and love you no matter what you do.

However, I am really disillusioned by television shows and I've always wanted my set of friends like from Sex and the City or my group of Friends (the show) that really go through life together- through highs and lows... from pissing each other off... to being there for each other when you do something wrong... to doing the greatest thing ever for someone. I have yet to find that, and I don't know if I ever will... what I've learned to do is take the best and most enjoyable parts of a person's personality and appreciate that.

L1LMAMAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliraksha
I'm also a quality over quantity person. I've noticed in my life that I've been a lot of people's good friend of best friend, but I've had very few people that would do the same for me. I'm generally surrounded by people and am generally agreeable and friendly which is why I make friends easily when I want to. But, I've also learned that you can't expect one person to have it all. I have a friend who "gets me"... I think she and I are very similar so I talk to her about the deeper stuff, I have a friend who I've had for a long time and knows me from middle school so it's really comfortable with her, I have a friend who is really sweet and a die hard friend and would do whatever she could to help me out, I have a friend who is an absolute blast to shop and go out with and she is my girl to call on when I need some cheering up the material way, I have a friend who is a relationship expert because she has dated so much so I vent to her about love troubles, and then I have my boyfriend who I can honestly tell anything to. My mother has also instilled in me that friends come and go and don't always have your best interest in heart, but your family will always be there and love you no matter what you do.

However, I am really disillusioned by television shows and I've always wanted my set of friends like from Sex and the City or my group of Friends (the show) that really go through life together- through highs and lows... from pissing each other off... to being there for each other when you do something wrong... to doing the greatest thing ever for someone. I have yet to find that, and I don't know if I ever will... what I've learned to do is take the best and most enjoyable parts of a person's personality and appreciate that.

I totally get you. Me and my boyfriend LOVE watching Friends and we are always saying..when will we meet our group of friends and be like them?? in reality, it's so hard to have a group of close friends who will always be there for you no matter what. i do wish i was like the people on Friends.

Le-Saboteur

I totally get where most of you are coming from in this thread. I hope that all of you who feel lonely find true friends one day.

I feel so lucky to have my boyfriend, he's one person that I can always count on to be honest, caring, loyal and fun (not to mention plain awesome). I kinda feel like any friendships I had over the years pale in comparison... It seems like a lot of people aren't interested in you much if you can't go out drinking with them every weekend. *shrugs*

kaliraksha

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1LMAMAJ
[/b]

I totally get you. Me and my boyfriend LOVE watching Friends and we are always saying..when will we meet our group of friends and be like them?? in reality, it's so hard to have a group of close friends who will always be there for you no matter what. i do wish i was like the people on Friends.

Well, on the plus side most of these shows are about people near their 30s.... maybe we just need to wait a bit longer =)

blindpassion

My best friend just moved to Montreal
ssad.gif
I feel so lonely without him. He was the most amazing friend I've ever met.

kaliraksha

Quote:
this reminds me of a story (kinda unrelated): so i wasn't allowed to have a bf in hs but i had one anyway. so i was hanging out with him one day and i told my mom i was with my friend amy. she loves to call me while i'm out and ask to speak to my friend. REALLY SCARY RIGHT? okay so i'm out with my bf at the time and she calls me. i don't pick up but instead i call amy (i was obviously not with her, it was just a cover) and three way her while i call my mom after connecting with amy. then my mom asks her usual supicious questions, "so you're with amy? where are you guys?" etc. and then my mom's like, "let me talk to amy." and so three seconds later, amy starts talking and i can barely hold my laughter cuz i got away so good! but yea back to topic. continue on.
greengrin.gif

Speaking of slightly unrelated stories... our friend's mom was super controlling so when our friend spent the night her mom had to be able to call the number our friend was staying at to make sure she was actually at our friends place. So what we would do when we were out for the night, we would forward all the calls from the house to our friend's cell phone. Haha, this makes it sound like we were out drinking and clubbing... but we were usually at IHOP and Wal-Mart at like 2AM.

AlliSwan

My mom is my BFF and my dad is pretty great, too. My boyfriend is amazing and I def consider him a good friend, but he's more of a lover/comforter than a call-for-a-chat friend. My mom is the one I go to when I want to be bitchy
smiles.gif
or sarcastic.

Other than that, I have a couple girlfriends but no one I could *really* confide in. My best friend for a decade besides my mom is my guy friend, but we aren't the best at keeping in touch. I do know he will always be there for me though!

L1LMAMAJ

sometimes i find it easier to be friends with guys cuz they usually aren't dramatic and possessive!

upside_down

It's been my experience that friendship is a two-way street, and it isn't as easy as people make it seem to keep friendships going. My best friend of 10 years is the only friend I would say I truly trust 100%. That's not to say I don't have other close close friends. The closeness of my friendships rest on different aspects of the relationship they bring to the table. You know, one understands my humor, one gets my sarcasm and bitchiness. Not to say they all don't understand me point blank, but each has their friendship "specialty" I would say. I went away for college, and my best friend stayed in my hometown, but there hasn't been any strain on our relationship. We still are as close as ever. All of our drama was in high school, which helped keep our friendship now easy going and comfortable.

I am going into my Junior year in college and I can say with certainty that I will be friends with maybe two people I consider to be my close friends at school. I knew both of them in high school as well, but we grew close in college. I don't fault my other friends (let's face it--most of them are guys, and guys just don't think about keeping in touch the way girls do) when I say I know I won't keep in touch with them. It's part of growing up. I have been fortunate to have the same best friend for ten years, the girl I can go to with anything no matter how long we go without seeing each other. Like others have said, outside of my best friend, the only people I depend on are family.

It sucks, but it is something everyone experiences. There are ways to keep in touch, but like I said it's a two-way street. If you are the only one putting forth the effort to keep the friendship alive, you will get worn out and come to resent the person. It's not fair, but just have faith that you will find people you can depend on for the rest of your life. My mother is living proof--she met her best friend a year after I was born, and they have been like sisters for 20 years.

SingFrAbsoltion

Quote:
Originally Posted by florabundance
WOW SAME. Except change 'Indian' to 'Turkish'.
It annoys me now because my dad was always so strict about not going out with white friends because their lifestyle and values are too different and all this lame b.s., when the Turkish girls were up to all kinds of shady shit (and on top of that were sooo shallow and two faced), but that was fine because they were Turkish, and all hung out together and could cover for eachother.

I think it's like that in any traditional culture. Girls from my country are like that too. Which is part of the reason I don't hang out with them, I don't understand how you can move to a diverse country like America and still keep shutting out everyone who's different. I love meeting people from different cultures, and those kind of girls think it's weird. I even got really rude responses when they found out that my bf is Asian. They would say "Uh why?". I don't even waste my time with them anymore.
angry.gif

wishingforsn0w

Quote:
sometimes i find it easier to be friends with guys cuz they usually aren't dramatic and possessive!

agreed! a lot of the time, theyre easier to get along with.. less bitchy and no jealousy issues

that being said, i know what you mean about feeling like there are few people around who you can truly count on.. i had a few close friends in hs, and moved from san jose to irvine for college (they all went to different places). even though we shared a lot and went through a lot together, i still fell out of touch with all but one of them.

revinn

As of now, I feel like I have no real friends.. UGH. Everyone left me when I was depressed, and after I get help, they all come back like nothing happened. UGH again. I'm just so sad right now.. I don't know why I can't find people who are supportive and loyal. I think there's just something wrong with me. Ugh.

TISH1124

Everyday...I know more and more the people who have double roles in my life are my Mom, Dad and My husband...they are my best friends in the world! Never judgemental...always supportive...and they are who they are 24/7...they never change no matter who they are around or what the situation..they are the most real people I have ever met.

NernersHuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
Everyday...I know more and more the people who have double roles in my life are my Mom, Dad and My husband...they are my best friends in the world! Never judgemental...always supportive...and they are who they are 24/7...they never change no matter who they are around or what the situation..they are the most real people I have ever met.

This is me as well. They are the few that I know will never let me down.

RedRibbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127

So so true.

I think you have to be a certain age/have certain things happen before you realise who your TRUE friends are. I have my parents, my brothers, Mr RR, the one Indian boy I trust my life to and my friend Kam, they're the people who would do anything for me and I'd do exactly the same for them.

It's just sad that you have to go through struggles to find this kinda stuff out.

luvsic

Hey Lilmamaj,

First, be prepared for a loooooooooooong response.

Friendships. Don't even get me started on this topic! I have been so on and off about friendships ever since I started making them in the first grade!

First, I just want to say that I empathize completely, and I know EXACTLY how you feel. I'd say the great majority of my friends are only friends to me at THEIR own disposal, meaning they like being around me, but they don't really do their part as a friend (they don't really ask me to hang out, don't really call me unless I call them first, etc.) It really pissed me off, but I've learned a little trick that I use all the time now and I feel so much better about things.

I will tell you a story. I left college because I was having a really hard time (personal issues) and when I came home, I literally came home to my family and that was it. I had one friend in town, but she was busy a lot with school and her job and didn't have that much time to hang out with me. When I left for college, NOBODY bothered to talk to me. I literally heard from nobody for weeks, then weeks turned to a few months, and I was confused and sad. These people I would see weekly, if not daily, didn't even bother to even call in and check up on me! Sometimes I would text them and usually just get a simple text back, but that was it. No initiation on their part. It was like everyone I had considered a good friend at school just forgot all about me and didn't even care how I was doing. Even my own big in my fraternity didn't text or call to check up on me or anything. I felt really bad about it for a long, long time.

I then realized that a lot of the time, at least for me, the friends I made in college were friends out of convenience, convenience at least for them. It dates back to high school, actually. We would eat lunch together, make small talk, but never really connect on a deeper level. I have come to realize that the majority of the time, that is the way it will be throughout life. You will meet different people in different stages of your life, and not all of them will stick around forever. In fact, most of them will probably fade away.

Some people are extremely lucky to find friends who will stick with them like family, like the girls in Sex and the City. I've always wanted a relationship like that with some girls, but I never found it...and not everyone will be fortunate enough to find it. I never may and I find myself just getting sad thinking I'll never have "best" friends. But I must tell myself it's ok and to stop expecting things I can't control. I now believe when it comes to friendships you have to take things with a grain of salt. People are selfish sometimes, in fact a lot of the time in my case. They will act like your best friend at parties or in class/work and like they can't live without you when you're in close proximity with them, but then they might just forget about you when you're not there. It's not that they don't like you anymore, they just move on with their lives. It's hard to swallow (it was for me, at least) but it's the truth.

I now have reconnected with a few people from college and my work. I hear back from some of them more often than others. Some I have to initiate texting all of the time, others text me first occasionally. I also have reconnected with a few local friends from high school over the summer, but as of now it's more surface level than anything, I like their companionship and they like mine, so we spend time together when we can. When I return to my college (I've been missing for an entire semester) I think things will be a little weird at first, but I don't mind, I feel like I'll just pick up where I left off with people if I still could even consider myself having relationships with them lol. All I know is now I don't get as hurt anymore, because I no longer expect anything from these people, not even people I used to think were my closest friends. And when I have no expectations, it's impossible to get disappointed. This is my specialized case, however, but it's been working for me thus far and I feel great in terms of my friendships now.

Most of my life now consists of spending time with my family and spending time with myself. I go out with my friends when they have time (it's usually only once a week, no more), otherwise I don't sweat it. I used to be the girl who would call everyone to hang out and get mad because nobody would ever call her back. I wanted to be texted left and right, but it never happened. I thought people didn't like me for the longest time and I felt lonely and depressed about it. I wanted a group so I could be like Carrie and the gals, but never found that. I think now that I'm older, though, I've become ok with that. I will never be a social butterfly who is loved by everyone and their dog, but I've just come to accept that and I'm much happier. I like spending time with people but I also like spending time with myself (in healthy ways, not lumping myself in front of the tube for hours!), and that's important!

Ok, I rambled a LOT, but I hope some of this helps you! It sounds a little harsh, but when it comes to friendships, people who can find one GOOD friend, and when I say good I mean someone they tell everything and can trust them with their life, they are already very lucky. I can maybe only say I have one friend like that, and we are even drifting apart now because things aren't the same anymore. The majority of "friends" you will have throughout your life will just be your friends at that stage of your life, and then they will pass. So I think what is important is to develop a good relationship with your family/significant other if you can, and most importantly with yourself. Good luck with everything!!

k.a.t

I don't have any real friends that I know will always be there for me. I have maybe 1 close friend, who I thought was my real friend but I've come to realize she's not which is quite sad but that's life for you.

A lot of the people I've met just seem to be selfish and close minded. I really don't have any high expectations of finding someone I can call a true friend.

Oh well.

celestia

I never lead the 'typical' highschool life. I'm so gratuitous to have the friends I've kept. Every now and then, I make friends I get along with- but we never make that 'permanent' connection of needing each other in our lives. So when it's time to move on, I adapt. I have two very, very close highschool friends and we keep in touch whenever we can though. I would never trade them in for the world because I've realised they are much more than true friends.

I have several very close friends over the internet and I'm persistent in keeping them. I don't give two shits about the fact i've never physically met them yet, I still consider them real friends. They ARE real humans, afterall- and are susceptible to being deceitful as they are to being honest. Having said that, I'm not exactly an 'easy' target or a welcome doormat. Although much of it is more complicated than it seems, I haven't been burned by any of the friends I've really let in... so I take that as a good sign!

And I guess everyone is about as 'real' as they come until otherwise- whether in person or online. I don't think people would willingly oblige to a 10 year relationship with emotional/physical abuse if they could avoid it either... or being in a position where a person they've assumed to be 'real' is actually some incognito rapist. (and the list goes on) 'Real' people are everywhere. 'Fake' people live amoung them. Who could be true to you may not be true to the next person- and vice versa.

Where are all the real friends? I guess to answer that, you have to know who they are first because I'm pretty sure you won't find them like you find blue calm eyeshadow at the MAC pro store. (Sorry, first thing that came to me DX) Who are the real friends? Well, determining who is a 'real' friend and who is 'not' can only be properly tested by time. Someone you initially are nonchalant towards may in time become a 'true' friend to you.

Ultimately though, I'd say in this day and age, it's not what you physically do together- but whether or not you're still on the same page and on the same wavelength. I think having a handful (even just ONE) of really close, reliable friends who know you inside out and accept you for you is better than having a boatload of random acquaintences anyday.