Will gay marriage lead to the downfall of society?

TISH1124

I actually pray it gets locked....Who joins one day just to post 3 of the same threads in 3 different forums unless they are just looking to start controversy. Surely her time would be better spend passing out flyers on the streets of CA...But no then she would have to face people of different beliefs and not hide behind a screen and that may just cause her to perhaps get a total smack down.

Shimmer

Here's the deal:

Like it or not, this IS a belief and misconception some people have. It IS one of the big arguments against something some believe in, some don't.

I'm not saying it isn't a fallacious argument. I'm not saying that at all.

I'm saying take the opportunity to make educated and intelligent statements against the position and knock the wind out of its sails. Take the rhetoric and respond to it with logic, sound argument, and intelligence.

It's highly possible, and encouraged, to debate this particular idea without degenerating into attacks and ad hominem style argument. Take the opportunity to disseminate information that destroys the position.

*Stargazer*

I don't begrudge Christians the right to say that they think gay marriage is immoral. I draw the line at them telling me that for me. If people are opposed to gay marriage, then they, themselves, should not marry someone of the same sex. But they absolutely, positively do not have the right to tell ME that I can't because of a religion that I don't believe in.

Don't like gay marriage? Don't enter into one.

blindpassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stargazer*
I don't begrudge Christians the right to say that they think gay marriage is immoral. I draw the line at them telling me that for me. If people are opposed to gay marriage, then they, themselves, should not marry someone of the same sex. But they absolutely, positively do not have the right to tell ME that I can't because of a religion that I don't believe in.

Don't like gay marriage? Don't enter into one.

Exactly. I still don't see how gay marriage effects OTHER people. The only people it effects are the two entering into the marriage.

Just like abortion - how does myself having an abortion effect anyone else, but myself. It doesn't. Same as: I'm not a religious person, but others being religious doesn't effect me personally.

atwingirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennieHere
Will it? This article makes a good point at why it will:

Gay Marriage Will Lead to the Downfall of Society

It does make a good point about if we put morals and ethics aside for gay marriage, then what else will people start to think they should be allowed to do? Do we allow polygamous relationships, ect, as long as people are happy? Where does it stop?

Thoughts on this subject? Its worth reading, regardless of your views on the issue...

th_welcomeemoticonsign.gif
girl_devil.gif

MAC doesn't stand for Mean spirited, Angry, Can of worms. FYI.

Please peddle your derogatory agenda somewhere else. I can't see the point of your post on this site.

MACLovin

I hate when people think that being gay is some kind of trendy lifestyle choice or something, and people just want the laws changed to piss off heterosexuals. Come on.. wake up. People are born that way, and to discriminate solely based on their sexual preference is just totally outrageous.

The downfall of society?? REALLY?? You mean to tell me that 2 men or women getting married is really going to harm our country? Wow.
th_rolleye0014.gif
Please crawl out from beneath that rock you've been living under.

atwingirl

Quote:
Will it? This article makes a good point at why it will:

Gay Marriage Will Lead to the Downfall of Society

It does make a good point about if we put morals and ethics aside for gay marriage, then what else will people start to think they should be allowed to do? Do we allow polygamous relationships, ect, as long as people are happy? Where does it stop?

Thoughts on this subject? Its worth reading, regardless of your views on the issue...

After working for an airline for a number of years, I was fortunate enough to see Same Sex Partners finally recieve benefits that many of the heterosexuals had enjoyed from hire. Was it fair that my spouse and I could take a hard earned vacation but my SSP co-worker could not travel with their partner because they were not yet recognized as a significant other? What kind of message is an employer sending to their workforce when they grant benefits to one group but exclude another? Perhaps that we don't condone your lifestyle or agree with it? That is why it is crucial to not allow government, employers, even your own neighbor to stomp on other people's lives. Or their basic wishes to enjoy some of the same rights as their counterparts. (Insurance, adoption, etc. just to name a few).
Does it have to do with laws in many of the states, yes and maybe. But I think it should have to do more with decency and human kindness. What with the American divorce rate at 50% and climbing, it probably is better to exclude a large demographic of loving, commited adults who merely want to spend their lives side by side.

Half N Half

I didn't even make it through the entire article, I think it's probably the dumbest thing I've read all day. I still cannot wrap my brain around this gay marriage thing being SUCH a huge issue. And I absolutely do not understand how someone can be so adamant in fighting AGAINST a group of people who will in no way affect their own life. Like a lot of people have said...if you don't like homosexuality/gay marriage...don't be gay and don't marry someone of the same sex! How hard can it be?!
nope.gif

chocolategoddes

The OP does bring up a valid question but s/he is just doing it in a trollish manner.

BUT
what if gay marriage actually improved society? What if letting two people of the same sex led to less crime and violence? A better economy? No more poverty? Why does it always have to be negative?
ssad.gif
lol

Lapis

Quote:
How soon do people forget that America is also a Christian nation founded by Christian people on Christian fundamentals...hence the multiple scripture passages in our government buildings and the obvious "One Nation, under God" in our pledge and "In God We Trust" on our currency. Gay marriage goes against that 100%.

If you dont like the Christian principles this country is based on, your free to move to a different country also. We shouldnt have to change our laws for 1% of the population. (the amount who consider themselves "same-sex" couples)

Sure, we're a nation of tolerance...to a certain extent.

Tonight for one night only the founding father's thoughts on equality and church

Government is instituted for the common good; for the protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness of the people; and not for profit, honor, or private interest of any one man, family, or class of men; therefore, the people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government; and to reform, alter, or totally change the same, when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it.

John Adams

How many observe Christ's birth-day! How few, his precepts! O! 'tis easier to keep Holidays than Commandments.
Benjamin Franklin

Every man "ought to be protected in worshipping the Deity according to the dictates of his own conscience."
George Washington

"You say you are a Calvinist. I am not. I am of a sect by myself, as far as I know."
Thomas Jefferson

"I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved -- the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!"
John Adams to Jefferson

"The United States of America have exhibited, perhaps, the first example of governments erected on the simple principles of nature; and if men are now sufficiently enlightened to disabuse themselves of artifice, imposture, hypocrisy, and superstition, they will consider this event as an era in their history. Although the detail of the formation of the American governments is at present little known or regarded either in Europe or in America, it may hereafter become an object of curiosity. It will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of Heaven, more than those at work upon ships or houses, or laboring in merchandise or agriculture; it will forever be acknowledged that these governments were contrived merely by the use of reason and the senses.
Adams again

Founded by Christians you say, hmmm seems the men who founded this country had open minds
Oh and since over 50% of them were Episcopalian and I do know my church, we have a gay Bishop and will have gay marriage as gay rights is being seen akin to race rights and the Episcopalian/Anglican church will never again be slow to call for the rights of all.

AmiS4ys

I find this highly offensive, as I've been working as a volunteer for the Human Rights Campaign for 5 years now. Posts and articles such as these make me feel like we've gone one step forward and two steps back as a society.

mizzbeba

Quote:
Originally Posted by frocher
Yes, it will. That along with women in the workforce, SHO time, and super sized fries.

Sorry, you ask a ridiculous question, you get an equally ridiculous answer.

I blame MTV and Pop radio!

purrtykitty

Well, for me (whose livelihood depends heavily on family law), gay marriage would make good business sense...because theoretically more marriages means more divorces. But I guess that's not very moral of me to think so...sue me.

ForgetRegret

I think we've quite beaten this subject to death...bottom line seems to be this; everyone here (who's posted a reply, anyway) seems to vehemently disagree with the OP...and have all brought up valid, well thought out points to support your views. Since the OP has, at this point, appeared to have given up arguing with us, I believe we can safely say that we've proven our point. ...and also too, proved that we can debate a highly controversial topic without stooping to childish levels and just attacking people...like Shimmer said earlier, attack the argument, not the individual. Personally, I think we've done that rather well.
smiles.gif

Can we lock this now?

TISH1124

Ok what is the point of locking it based on the points you just stated.....If people are able to debate it logically then why should it be locked? Maybe there are others besides the people who have previously posted that want to voice their opinion and be heard just as well.

What is the reason to lock it now, people who don't want to read it should just not open the thread?

Latest posts