Will gay marriage lead to the downfall of society?

ForgetRegret

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuki_KILLER
First of all, that's a biased point of view from the article.

Secondly, assuming that Christianity indeed was originally against homosexuality (which it does not say anywhere in the bible), banning gay marriages is against constitutional rights and is an atrocity.

Thirdly, the teachings of Christ tell the followers to love all of God's children, not to pigeonhole people and treat people poorly just because they're "different." It's original intent was to teach followers compassion, forgiving and having a good heart, not to teach xenophobia.

Although I agree with your points 100%, unfortunately it does mention homosexuality as being wrong in the bible. Leviticus, Romans, and Corinthians all mention homosexuality, and not in a good way. I don't agree with what these passages say, but they are in there. It's like you said, though, it's about compassion and being a good person, not persecuting people because of their orientation.

User27

Quote:

Secondly, assuming that Christianity indeed was originally against homosexuality (which it does not say anywhere in the bible), banning gay marriages is against constitutional rights and is an atrocity.

Thirdly, the teachings of Christ tell the followers to love all of God's children, not to pigeonhole people and treat people poorly just because they're "different." It's original intent was to teach followers compassion, forgiving and having a good heart, not to teach xenophobia.

First of all, I agree with you about the article being biased.

Secondly, the Bible does go into detail about homosexual relations. Just putting a couple of quotes out there.....Old Testament style.

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion. " (Leviticus 18:22-23)

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. " (Leviticus 20:13)

New Testament puts out the repercussions :

"For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;" (Romans 1:26-28)

Third, I'm totally in agreement with what you stated here.

I've been in both male and female relations and am an Atheist so I gain nothing from starting a war with you on this thread. Islam says that homosexual acts are also "haram", meaning sinful to carry out in one's life. I didn't put this here to get you angry but to show you where it's addressed in the Bible. I'm not a follower of either religion but agree with you that the article was biased and some people are a little blind to the teachings that are taught to them. You can't say you love all of God's creatures yet treat certain people (homosexuals) like they are nothing...goes against everything you're taught from the go.

A person can say hey, as a Christian the Bible tells me you're going to suffer damnation but guess what? A person makes their own life choices and mine would probably be to say something like I'll see you there because you're not God to cast judgement upon my life but thanks for trying to fill this beings' shoes. I'm sure if God exists, it's well aware of where I've been and decided my outcome without others aiding in it's decision. I'm not repenting any time soon over a few choices I chose to make and am not uncomfortable with....my friends and family still care and that's all that matters.

User27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetRegret
Although I agree with your points 100%, unfortunately it does mention homosexuality as being wrong in the bible. Leviticus, Romans, and Corinthians all mention homosexuality, and not in a good way. I don't agree with what these passages say, but they are in there. It's like you said, though, it's about compassion and being a good person, not persecuting people because of their orientation.

Jinxed and your timing was impeccable.
lol.gif

iadoremac

Actually its in Leviticus 18 v 22 and 20 v 13, romans 1 v 26-27.

ForgetRegret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casadalinnis
Beware. I think it was beer that led to that Tammie incident. If you want her number, she's in Glen Burnie but proceed with caution because she's superho now. I gave the warning but I have a laid back Snoop perspective to life...

Ain't No Fun if the Homies Can't Have None song is stuck in my head now.
lol.gif

LMFAO I totally wanna be a superhero...I live in Glen Burnie, too...does that qualify me for superhero-ness???
fluffy.gif
I know that's not a superhero...but it reminds me of the marshmallow man from Ghostbusters...LOL

Haha and for your song...
dapimp.gif

ForgetRegret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren1981
^^ what is the "tammie" incident??

Honestly, I have no idea...I'm just going with it...

I haven't lived in GB for long...I'm only down here because the Navy said so...I've been here since September of 05...but I do have a couple of friends who go to Orpheus a lot...I'll have to inquire about this chick...now you have me curious...LOL
I hear the street racing going on all the time...I have a regular get together with some friends on Friday nights at the Honey Bee...by the time we're all getting out of there, there's always cars zooming up and down Ritchie...

ForgetRegret

Quote:
th_LMAO.gif

Did they warn you about Orpheus' history? Place got shut down for a while because of the dungeon that used to be in the basement...."lascivious acts" from people having sex in bathrooms and upstairs. I quit going when the tabbing was going on because a girl I used to go there with got assaulted by a male. There's mostly ravers on acid or shrooms now but you have some odd types there off and on. Some of the people have been going there for like a decade and a half....the woman's name that runs it is Nikki or Vikki, one of the two. Definitely a mixed crowd....gay, straight & bi. The police used to do random raids on the place because of the sex and drugs, don't know about now but I know the dungeon's gone. They used to sell whips on the upper floor, overpriced at that. Be careful because some of the guys are just real creepy and there for the sex.

Honey Bee became the new go to after they closed down the Denny's up by Jumper's Hole Road....it's up by Crossroads. The waitresses never snubbed the goth crowd up there and it's all like 1950's and stuff....I lost a shirt there once....freaking classic.
lol.gif

No one warned me about Orpheus...cuz I don't go. LOL I'm glad I don't, now...sounds creepy.
I love the Bee...I love the waitresses there...they're so sweet.

But we should probably get
back2topic.gif
before we get yelled at by mods...
greengrin.gif

iShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetRegret
No one warned me about Orpheus...cuz I don't go. LOL I'm glad I don't, now...sounds creepy.
I love the Bee...I love the waitresses there...they're so sweet.

But we should probably get
back2topic.gif
before we get yelled at by mods...
greengrin.gif

I've got your back girl!

Back on track~ Encore of Prop 8 the Musicallllllll

"Prop 8 - The Musical" starring Jack Black, John C. Reilly, and many more... from FOD Team, Jack Black, Craig Robinson, John C Reilly, Rashida Jones, and Sarah Chalke

Lapis

Quote:
First of all, I agree with you about the article being biased.

New Testament puts out the repercussions :

"For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;" (Romans 1:26-28)

Ok BUT let's look that the complete verse break down, I'm lazy and will do Romans, but I have plenty thoughts of the Lev ones too inc new stoning laws for shrimp eaters
greengrin.gif

Anyway

Quote:
1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; that they are without excuse: 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

This chapter speaks to the Pagans, those who did not recognize God in every Bible I've read and I own like 6 of them all different versions, the jist is homosexuality wasn't the sin but the punishment!

Vs 23 the sin
Vs 26 the punishment

My thoughts and plenty others I've read inc the head of the church of England is that it wasn't in their nature to be gay hence why it's a punishment, like me eating shark fin soup or whale blubber but if it's your nature it's not a sin
th_wink3.gif

hello_my_apple

Quote:

Actually its in Leviticus 18 v 22 and 20 v 13, romans 1 v 26-27.

yea, and in the bible it says the same fate should be met for disobedient children. i dont see parents offing the;r kids for being rude, so you cant pick and choose what you want out of the bible. GOD loves homosexuals just the same.

Lapis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_my_apple

yea, and in the bible it says the same fate should be met for disobedient children. i dont see parents offing the;r kids for being rude, so you cant pick and choose what you want out of the bible. GOD loves homosexuals just the same.

Well my dad's new GF doesn't eat pork or shell fish because it says so in the bible, if they bring back these laws I think I'm the first person she's killing cause I keep telling my dad when he tries to force me to have her over I'm cooking shrimp/lobster/crab
th_LMAO.gif
so he has to stay home with her, lol

user79

When did the Bible become the basis of how morality/social issues in any society should be judged? Ugh....

What a poor method of argument, since I think the majority of people in this world do not believe in it. I really hate when Bible talk comes into play on social/legal issues, the Bible cannot be the basis for laws in any secular society, or we might as well all live in Saudi Arabia where the entire system is governed by Sharia.

nanefy

I really feel I have to post here because....well, just because I know I have to.

I am totally prepared to be berrated for this, and I dare say (and I cant be certain because I haven't read all of the posts) there are a lot of people who have been scared to write anything that so much as hints at an agreement with the article, but I will write this anyway.

I used to go to church a few years back and used to go for a long time. I fell away from the church, and not because I stopped believing, but stopped because my lifestyle started changing and I started becoming 'spiritually lazy' and felt like a hypocrite. I don't believe its right to go to church on a Sunday and act all holier than thou and then sin the rest of the week (what is the point!). However I will say this, I do still believe in everything I did when I went to church.

I wont call myself an active christian, but I still have all the belief system, so for the purpose of this response I'll use the term 'Christian' lightly. So.....as a 'christian' I do believe that homesexuality is not as god intended and therefore, for me, I would have to say I oppose Gay Marriage. HOWEVER! I do also believe in free will. As a christian, I know that the future is already written and whatever is in gods plan will come to pass. Without starting to preach scripture a good example is when Jesus was in the garden of Gethsemane (please excuse any spelling errors!) the night before he was crucified, he cried out to god to ask if there was any other way, but as I said before, God has a plan and everything happens for a reason (I promise I won't start bursting out into scripture!).

So back to the point. I don't stay in the States so cant talk for anyone in your country, but if I was born in the states, and the government were passing a bill (or whatever its called) and it depended on feedback from the population by means of a vote, I am entitled, just like every other member of the population (gay or not) to make my contribution.

What really makes me angry about all of this, is that it appears VERY much, that so long as you are on the opposing side, you're opinion shouldn't count. If people want to be angry, they should be angry with the people who made the decision to put the matter to vote. Homosexuals (and I don't like to use that as a label, because people are not defined by their sexuality) are entitled to their opinion just like everyone else. I do not take away your right to your opinion and I would expect the same in return.

Just because I have a certain belief system (as does EVERYONE) that does not make me closed minded or out of touch with reality. What actually makes me boil with rage is the vile, horrible, nasty comments that 'us' on the opposing side have to put up with from those on the opposite side of the debate.

If you are under actual attack from someone then, by all means stick up for yourself. However, I have never criticised anyones belief systems or their personal lives, so don't criticise mine. Regardless of the argument or belief system, no one should be made to feel like their opinions don't matter, or that their opinions are less important than anyone elses. If people don't want to live in an opressive society then it should be that way for all, not just for the cause you are fighting for. If you want to talk about equality, then make it equal for all.

As a final point, everyone is free to make their own choices, and I would never dream of stopping you from doing so, but I will not be forced into going against what I believe in, just because someone else thinks I should.

This is not aimed at anyone in particular, and is not just a response to this topic, but really a general response to the whole topic.