Working for Sephora

amoona

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACtastic
Oh boy. I live in the Bay Area, and my boss at Sephora has kool-aid red hair. HAHA!

LMAO omg do you work at the Sephora on Burlingame Ave?! Ooo if you do I'll totally visit you next time I head down there haha.

ellesea

Quote:
They changed the policies (I just got hired about a month ago.) For makeup, the minimum is mascara, a complexion product, and lipstick/gloss. The colors don't matter, as long as everything is applied properly. Nails can be any color as long as they are presentable (I.E., not dirty, and not a million different colors). Your hair has to be a color found naturally in hair, and you can't have some funky outlandish cut or style. Your hair must be pulled back if its below the collar of your costume. You're technically not supposed to have any facial piercings, but you can usually get away with a teeny nose stud (depending who your store director is). I think the most strict policy is regarding jewelry: no more than 2 rings per finger or 2 earrings per ear. Earrings need to be black, diamond, gold, sliver, pearl, or some sort of combination of that. Dangling earrings can't be longer than an inch, hoops no larger than a dime.
Oh, and the discount is 20%.
HTH!

I guess some of their locations don't really follow the policy. The one near my work has girls who have funky cuts and bright colors as well as jewelry.

amoona

Quote:
HAHA indeed I do! :p

lmao.gif
next time i come in i'm totally holding a sign saying "specktra.net" haha

adorablekay

for the MAC lovers

If you're an employee at Origins or Aveda..you can actually get 30 % off at MAC. Which is a better discount than sephora employees and Ulta.

NikkiHorror

Dude, I went to Sephora today to get an application...they have a VERY weird background check policy. It's very thorough and invasive. Kinda scary...all driving records, credit check, investigation on terminations from pervious jobs, etc. Sounds like the CIA, geez!

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiHorror
Dude, I went to Sephora today to get an application...they have a VERY weird background check policy. It's very thorough and invasive. Kinda scary...all driving records, credit check, investigation on terminations from pervious jobs, etc. Sounds like the CIA, geez!

Uhh which one? cuz I didn't have to go through anything like that to go through the hiring process.

NikkiHorror

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
Uhh which one? cuz I didn't have to go through anything like that to go through the hiring process.

Fashion Valley, San Diego, CA. The application the manager handed me was like 7 pages thick with background check info.

Jade M

I just got a job at Sephora

I just got a job at Sephora! It is a 'Colour Lead' position, very excited.
Just curious to hear from anyone else who works (or has worked) for Sephora about their experiences.

honyd

Re: I just got a job at Sephora

hey... i have heard some good and bad things.. but i guess it all depends on who u work with.... i kno they give great gratis!!!... BUt how is the pay there??? if u dont mind me asking...
smiles.gif

Jade M

Quote:
Originally Posted by honyd
hey... i have heard some good and bad things.. but i guess it all depends on who u work with.... i kno they give great gratis!!!... BUt how is the pay there??? if u dont mind me asking...
smiles.gif

The $ is way less than what I was on at my previous job as a cosmetics manager in Aus, but they have told me that I am only starting in this role to get 'acclimatised' to Sephora, and then I can go onto the role that is more in line with my experience. So hopefully better $ then.

I'm looking at it as an opportunity to show them my skills etc, and I am pretty confident that they will stand by what they told me. I actually declined a few offers from some major companies to do counter manager/business manager roles in department stores, just because I feel like I have 'been there, done that' already! (The salary packages they were offering would have been nice though). I feel like Sephora is a good company and they seem to have some good options available for me.

LocaLeslie

I currently work at a sephora and I must say coming in as a color lead is a good place to start because you are not just a castmember and things like encore will happen for you more quickly. Even though I am not a lead, I have seen what it takes and it does not seem easy and I feel like in a lot of the stores in my region you spend less time doing MUA things and more managerial things.

Good Luck!

CantAffordMAC

Working for MAC/Sephora

Everytime I go into MAC or Sephora (lucky me, I have both in the same mall close-by..) I ask an artist what you have to do to get a job there.

One MAC artist told me that you just have to do a full face of makeup.
Another one (same store) said you have to have a lot of experience, do a full face, and no they werent hiring (which i didnt ask)

At Sephora, a lady told me "You have to be an actual artist to work here" when I told her that I was a licensed cosmetologist she just shook her head and said "No you have to be like, an actual artist, with a big background"

I'm just wondering what you really have to do to get a job at MAC and/or Sephora. I'm tired of going into MAC and asking them because so many of them are rude to me....

In addition to this, I'm wondering about the MAC Pro thing. I heard a lot about this, but I'm still not sure what you need. Like I said, I'm a beginning cosmetologist with ZERO makeup training.

NaturalSister19

Re: Working for MAC/Sephora

Us the Spectra Forum Search. We have discussed this many times. Tons of great info, actual interviews blow-by-blow, detailed free-lance audition posts...

It's all there. just search
smiles.gif

Love Always Ivy

Re: Working for MAC/Sephora

yeah these topics have been covered very in depth ..

but idk what sephora you went into but thats complete bullshit what she said to you. you dont even need retail experience. any experience in m/u and retail does help alot, but are not necessities to getting hired. half the people that work at my sephora (roosevelt field mall, long island) are not makeup artists. i almost got a job there and im not a makeup artist (only reason i didnt get it was bc i was 5 minutes late to the interveiw). AND sephora is not just makeup, there is skincare fragrance bath and body .... so to say that everyone who works there has to be a professional MA is complete bull, sorry.