Working for Sephora

sci tech

Thank you so much.
smiles.gif

I will post back tomorrow after i get home from the interview.
I am sooo nervous.
Jut hoping everything will be fine, and that i won´t get shaky or something when applying makeup.
tong.gif

sci tech

Well, the interview went really well.

She started by asking me a lot of the usual questions:
-tell me a bit about your history
-which type of makeup work do you prefer from your experience
-what can you bring to the company
-sell me this pen....
etc
greengrin.gif

Then, she took a lot of makeup from a bag and put it all on the table and went to find a model.
Then she asked me to do the eyes only.
I just used some concealer and powder in both eyes and then the eyeshadow (no pencils there), first cream eyeshadow and then powder on top.
Finished with mascara.

I talked and explained as i was applying, but it became harder than i tought because i didn´t knew all of the products names by heart. (but the advice that i read trough the forums here really helped me
winks.gif
)

Then she asked if i had brought my book (she probably guessed i did because i was carrying the book case).
I showed her my book and she said in the end that it was really good and that it really showed how much i loved makeup.

Then, She told me that this job is to freelance for the company- to work 3/4 days a week and to go to the stores to do makeup and also deal with stocks, etc.
And travel from sephora to sephora to do this.

From start tp finish it was a little bit more than an hour.
I fell like it went well, but my prior experiences tell me not no get overly excited...
winks.gif

MACtastic

I was supposed to do this awhile ago, but....I'm applying!!! I went to get my application today, and got a chance to talk to the store director!! I'm so excited, I've been wanting to work at Sephora for the longest time!! How does the interview process go?

MACtastic

Sephora group interview?

Ok, so I have my 1st group interview with Sephora on Thursday, and I'm really nervous. I usually do great at interviews, but for some reason, I'm a bit intimidated. I have some questions..

1. How does the interview/hiring process work?
2. Will I have to do a makeup demo? (I'm just applying for a cast member position)
3. How should I do my makeup? When I went to get the application and turn it in, I kept my makeup really simple, with more neutral shades. Should I keep it that way, or add a bit more color?
4. Anything else I should be aware of?

I'd appreciate ANY imput. Thanks so much! <3

MacVirgin

i'm sorry that i can not help you with this
ssad.gif

did you try the search option? maybe these questions have allready been ask before
hmm.gif
. Good luck hun!!

Dolce

I'm sorry I didn't see this before! I had an interview there a week or so ago. How did your interview go? I'm starting today! I'm pretty excited.

MACtastic

Its ok guys, thanks so much for the support!

I got it actually! Its seasonal for now, but hopefully they keep me after the holidays! I'm so excited
greengrin.gif

mwilson569

I currently work for sephora and the interview process is relatively easy compared to what I heard the mac interview process is. You do not have to do a makeup demo. I did one group interview and I was hired approx, 2 weeks later for seasonal which was last in oct. 05 and I was given a permanant position after the seasonal period ended. I wore natural earthtone colors to myinterview. Even though it was natural, my makeup was still very polished. I was asked the basic questions..why I want to work with sephora..my fav. product.. best and worst qualities... how do I handle difficult customers.. etc. HTH -Melissa

whitnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson569
I currently work for sephora and the interview process is relatively easy compared to what I heard the mac interview process is. You do not have to do a makeup demo. I did one group interview and I was hired approx, 2 weeks later for seasonal which was last in oct. 05 and I was given a permanant position after the seasonal period ended. I wore natural earthtone colors to myinterview. Even though it was natural, my makeup was still very polished. I was asked the basic questions..why I want to work with sephora..my fav. product.. best and worst qualities... how do I handle difficult customers.. etc. HTH -Melissa

What were your responses to the questions? I actually have a application floating around for a sephora that hasnt opened yet and need all the help i can get!
smiles.gif

Dolce

Sephora employees! Come hither!

Do you guys know if you get a discount at eluxury.com? I saw it in my employee manual and I really want something but I don't know how to go about getting my discount.

Also...does every store schedule their employees to be "on-call" or is just my store? I love the job but this on call BS is making me really dislike it
ssad.gif

mwilson569

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitnie
What were your responses to the questions? I actually have a application floating around for a sephora that hasnt opened yet and need all the help i can get!
smiles.gif

Well my interview was over a year ago..so I dont remember my exact responses but.. As far as why I wanted to work for sephora. I told them about sephora being a reputable company.. How I loved shopping @ sephora before even applying.. and about how they were @ the top of the beauty industry and carry just about every high end beauty product under one roof. I also talked about how knowlegable the consultants were when you asked them any questions about product. I talked about how much I loved makeup and that working for sephora is a dream job. I told them that I talk about makeup on an everyday basis it makes sense to turn that into a job. I knew sephora's past promotional magazines inside out..so I talked about some of the seasons popular colors and palletes...I said patience is my best qualitiy which you would definately need in the retail business..I told them my worst quality use to be a lack of patience but it is something ive learned to handle in the past working with retail... if I remember any other questions they asked me I will post. -Melissa

HapaDynazty

how much does sephora pay an hr?

i applied but i just want to know the lady who answered the phone said "it depends" ,,, depends on what??

whitnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson569
Well my interview was over a year ago..so I dont remember my exact responses but.. As far as why I wanted to work for sephora. I told them about sephora being a reputable company.. How I loved shopping @ sephora before even applying.. and about how they were @ the top of the beauty industry and carry just about every high end beauty product under one roof. I also talked about how knowlegable the consultants were when you asked them any questions about product. I talked about how much I loved makeup and that working for sephora is a dream job. I told them that I talk about makeup on an everyday basis it makes sense to turn that into a job. I knew sephora's past promotional magazines inside out..so I talked about some of the seasons popular colors and palletes...I said patience is my best qualitiy which you would definately need in the retail business..I told them my worst quality use to be a lack of patience but it is something ive learned to handle in the past working with retail... if I remember any other questions they asked me I will post. -Melissa

wow no wonder you got the job!!!
thmbup.gif

you were very articulate
smiles.gif

Thanks a bunch!

*BeautyMarked*

Quote:
Originally Posted by martygreene
Look through this forum- there should be a thread from a while back about this very thing.

Sephora does have very strict policies regarding your appearance- be advised. Hair must be normal colored, no facial piercings, no more than two earrings per ear, no more than three rings per hand, nails must be manicured with a natural sheer, french, or american (red might be permitted too), you must wear a reddish tone of lipstick as part of your uniform, etc.

Awwww... that means my nose ring must go!
weeping.gif

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrusyMyEyes
Sounds too weird..can't be myself.

I just put in an application to Nordstroms cosmetic department. I think I want to work for any non Estee Lauder company. So like Nars or Laurier Mercier (sp)..something like that..Nars is going to be my first choice, when I go for interview.

Nordstrom is known for their strict dress code as well....no sleeveless, no cleavage, no piercings/tattoos showing, no short skirts, nothing see through or overly short...I could go on and on...:|

MACtastic

They changed the policies (I just got hired about a month ago.) For makeup, the minimum is mascara, a complexion product, and lipstick/gloss. The colors don't matter, as long as everything is applied properly. Nails can be any color as long as they are presentable (I.E., not dirty, and not a million different colors). Your hair has to be a color found naturally in hair, and you can't have some funky outlandish cut or style. Your hair must be pulled back if its below the collar of your costume. You're technically not supposed to have any facial piercings, but you can usually get away with a teeny nose stud (depending who your store director is). I think the most strict policy is regarding jewelry: no more than 2 rings per finger or 2 earrings per ear. Earrings need to be black, diamond, gold, sliver, pearl, or some sort of combination of that. Dangling earrings can't be longer than an inch, hoops no larger than a dime.
Oh, and the discount is 20%.
HTH!

amoona

o wow the manager at the sephoras by my house and this ridiculous kool-aid red hair, it's rather odd because she's VERY pale. her hair is soooo not a natural colour. i do see all the girls in pony tails ... which i personally hate for my hair and NOBODY wears make-up. I also never see anyone doing make-up applications there. I like shopping there but that's a major reason I didn't bother applying there.