Bare Escentuals (all)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimerbijoux
My skin is at its all time WORSE right now. I'm 18 in college and I want to shoot myself my skin is so bad. I have redness everywhere, tiny little bumps all over my forehead, clusters of zits in some areas...oiliness with occassional drynesss and...although it pains me to say it.... I think its my recent conversion to MAC concealer and foundation that is really breaking me out BAD. I'm thinking of switching to BE because im hearing rave reviews here and even when I worked at Ulta. But I was so into MAC (still am!) I just didnt want to admit my love MAC was breaking me out lol. My skin is also super sensitive and I have alot of scarring from previous acne breakouts.

So after hearing all that...will BE give me enough coverage and be a good switch from MAC? thanks for any answers!

I'd try EGminerals. Awesome coverage and isn't shiny like BE. BE was the first MMU brand I used, but since then I've found so much better. BE also wears off extremely fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddict09
Ive only tried 1 BE item so far and that was the foundation primer. I tried a sample at sephora and loved it so I thought I would buy the product and try it out again. I put it on and a few minutes later my face was itchy under my foundation but I thought nothing of it. I came home and took off my foundation, my skin was irritated and I had broken out. Im intrigued by their eyeshadows though. And I have wanted to try out their started kit.

Bismuth Oxychloride breaks a lot of people out in BE's formula. It is the ingredient that gives you a "glow" aka shine. There are lots of better MMU companies out there without this ingredient if you are allergic.

abbyquack

Has anyone tried Bare Minerals Matte yet? I'm interested to see how it compares. I hate mineral veil and the shiny look that the regular BE gives, but I'm totally interested in the matte version!

DaniPhiSig

A Quick Bare Minerals Review

Hi There!

I am 30 years old and have always been on the search for that perfect foundation. I've tried them all: compact, powder, liquid, stick, etc. Everything would either fade, cake, end up being the wrong color, make my skin greasy, whatever.

I finally decided that undereye cream and face lotion that had SPF self-tanner in it with a little bronzer would be the best option since it never came off.

A couple of weeks ago I was a bridesmatron in a wedding, and the makeup artist used Bare Minerals. All I can say is WOW! I've worn it everyday since the wedding, and I could not be happier with this foundation. It provides sheer coverage but yet fills in any spots that my lotion may not cover. It stays on all day, with only one touch up necessary before I go out at night.

I use Bare Minerals SPF 15 Foundation in Tan (3N). I also use the Tinted Mineral Veil to set the foundation, and the Warmth as a blush/bronzer.

I currently live in Phoenix, and for summer it's nice and light. I can't wait to see what it is going to do for me in Winter. :)

If you are looking for a light, easy foundation powder that has SPF in it, try Bare Minerals. I am so happy with it, I think you will be too.

tarnii

Re: Breakouts from my i.d Bare minerals

I have been using this off and on for years now. I am not totally happy with the colour match so I keep trying other brands but I keep coming back to BE. I have not had any trouble with breakouts at all but I do find that it tends to dry my skin out and make it flaky.

yay1

i wore it for a day, and it was a bit itchy, but i didn't break out. idk but the shade was soooo wrong on me, i was like 6 shades darker lol

kathyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyquack
Has anyone tried Bare Minerals Matte yet? I'm interested to see how it compares. I hate mineral veil and the shiny look that the regular BE gives, but I'm totally interested in the matte version!

I hear it doesn't contain Bismuth Oxychloride, which is a huge plus. I used BE for a a few years, and while I seemed to have few problems with it (other than a couple random zits), reading about others reactions to it scared me off. Didn't see it at Sephora the other day, though.

ModelBoy

The itching and burning is most likely from the Bismuth Oxychloride. A lot of people have a sensitivity to this. I know I do... Used to use BM foundations, but my face would always itch and turn red if I broke even a minor sweat or if I neglected to use a primer that day. Finally had to stop using it because the irritation (not to mention the breakouts) was becoming so bad. Switched to Everday Minerals: best decision of my life. Doesn't contain bismuth oxychloride, comes in SO many more shades (so better complexion matching), more finely milled, and ridiculously cheap. Able to achieve an airbrush finish (never was able to accomplish this with BM) with absolutely no irritation or abnormal breakouts after two months of use, and an actual improvement of skin tone clarity.

So, although not everyone has this sensitivity to bismuth oxychloride, many do, and this is most likely the cause of your reaction. If EDM doesn't seem to be your thing, try to find a MMU foundation that doesn't contain this, and you should be fine.

ModelBoy

Re: I.D Bare Minerlas looking cakey

Well, I stopped using BM a while ago (for various reasons), but this was one of them. just a couple of things that may help. 1.) Rev-er Upper isn't a moisturizer. It contains a mix of vitamins and skin agents to chemically "peel" your skin and renew skin cells. Using this under your makeup can make it cake, clump, and flake. If you insist on using it (I personally hate this stuff. Makes skin tight, dry, flaky, and red), try using it before bed at night. Two: doubling up on a moisturiser and primer is not a good idea, especially if you have oily skin. A good primer will do the job of moisturizer, and layering on two layers is not only a waste of product, but may also trap too much moisture in your skin, which could cause the makeup to slip and cake. Also, if using just a moisturiser, make sure to let it absorb into the skin for about a minute, then blot lightly with a tissue to remove excess moisture that could cause the above results. Hope this helped a bit! And good luck!

InspiredBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyquack

Still no one?

I have a little tester jar of it (Sephora didn't have the full size yet, so they hand out the tester with a cute little mini kabuki), but it's in Fairly light (my winter shade) and I'm too dark to use that color right now so I haven't tried it yet.

And thanks CassieAM for explaining the shades. I guess that means I really should get Medium Beige for the summer. I've been using the Light from my starter kit - it is a bit yellow on me, but it works, since I use a thinner application in the summer. And I think my skin does get more yellow toned when I tan.

xiahe

I just bought the BE "n00b" kit from Sephora, which was $18 and it comes with 2 shades of foundation, mineral veil, warmth & a mini flawless application brush. The sizes of the products are very small but are great for travel. So far I really liked how BE looked on my skin and how it felt - I have combination, acne-prone skin and it didn't make me feel "dry" or make my skin itch like most powders do (in the winter time it will probably make my skin somewhat dry but oh well, I guess I'll have to moisturize some more or something!) - however, when I went up close in the mirror, my face looked kind of chalky and the foundation excentuated my pores. I use the mini flawless application brush which was soft, but not "fluffy" and dense like a kabuki/mineral m/u face brush should be...it was more flat if that makes sense. I think the brush is to blame. My friend has BE and has the full-sized brushes but they seem kind of rough and scratchy to me and I have very sensitive skin. Is there a good brush out there that is a cheaper alternative to Sephora/MAC brushes but still just as good? I was looking at Sonia Kashuk's synthetic flat brush that is meant for blush but I guess it has multiple uses...anyone ever tried it? Would it be good for mineral m/u application?

And would a primer help with my pores? I have a sample of Smashbox Photofinish primer (the oil-free kind) but I have never used it...does anyone have a favorite primer? are the BE primers good?

xiahe

oh yeah, and for reference, the jars of the mineral veil & two foundation shades are in 0.57g jars...the warmth is maybe half the size?

InspiredBlue

xiahe, my advice would be that you get the Long Handled Kabuki or Flat Top Brush from Everyday Minerals (everydayminerals.com). They don't cost mush, so get both and see which one you like best. The best value for money would be that you get one of EM's custom kits, that way you get the brushes and can throw in some fun eyeshadows or blushes. They also make a mineral concealer that I really like.

As for primer, I haven't used it before but I am currently trying out the Powder Primer from Meow Cosmetics. So far, it seems good.

Oh, and the 0,6 gram jar isn't really "small". I think mine lasted me 6 months or so. A little goes a very long way with mineral foundation.

westindiesangel

Is it ok to use baby shampoo on the BE brushes? I want them to last so I want to take good care of them...I also have a brush cleanser by a company named Quo (I think it's only available in Shoppers Drugmarts in Canada)...

Sass

Quote:
Originally Posted by westindiesangel
Is it ok to use baby shampoo on the BE brushes? I want them to last so I want to take good care of them...I also have a brush cleanser by a company named Quo (I think it's only available in Shoppers Drugmarts in Canada)...

I've been using Johnson's Extra Conditioning Baby Shampoo on my BE brushes and so far so good. They come out just stiff enough, but soft.

westindiesangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiahe
And would a primer help with my pores? I have a sample of Smashbox Photofinish primer (the oil-free kind) but I have never used it...does anyone have a favorite primer? are the BE primers good?

The Photofinish Light is really good at minimizing pores, and it's nice and lightweight too. Regular Photofinish is really nice too if you don't need oil-free, it leaves your skin soo silky! Clinique has a Pore Minimizer line that's good too (I use the Pore Minimizer T-Zone Shine Control), and they have an Instant Perfector and a lotion that do the same thing as well. Overall I like Photofinish Light, so use that since you have a sample and see if you like it too!
smiles.gif

InspiredBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by westindiesangel

BE brushes are going to be awful and scratchy no matter what you clean them with. But, yes, in general baby shampoo is fine.

westindiesangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredBlue
BE brushes are going to be awful and scratchy no matter what you clean them with. But, yes, in general baby shampoo is fine.

Lol. I don't find them to be that bad, but I've only used them twice so far. Anyway, I have no choice because I simply don't have the funds to be buying a ton of brushes...although I'd like to. :p

I have another q....they have All-Over Face Colours and then Soft Focus All-Over Face Colours. What are the point of these? They say they give you a more soft and diffused look, but couldn't you just achieve that with the right brush and blending?
th_dunno.gif