Depotting Shadows/Quads/Blushes/Blushcremes etc.

MacVirgin

Re: Have you removed individual eyeshadows from packaging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSana
Yup! That's the one I learned from.

me too!

ruthless

Honestly I depotted (it's easy) and my opinion is unless you have the 15 pan palettes it's not worth it. I have a bunch of 4's from ELF and others and while it's nice to make a mix and match to take with me for storage and ease of use you're better off waiting until you have a big palette to put them in.

breezybabe89

I like Enkore's method without heat the best I've depotted 70+ shadows that way with no chips or cracks ever!

Ursula

Well, I gave it a try, though I used a heat gun instead of the flat iron. My flat iron doesn't lay flat so that wouldn't really work well for me. It has worked great, although removing all the excess glue is a royal pain. I wished I could find synthetic cotton balls to use with the alchohol but I can't find them anywhere.

Got lots more to do!

TISH1124

I have done about 15 palettes all via the Candle method....I think I like getting high off the fumes, j/k....But I never have nicks or cracks....Works for me so I continue

Ursula

Yeah, by the time I'm done, I'll have done about 6 palettes worth so with my already existing palettes, I'll have 13 altogether. Sometimes I wonder why I have so much, I hardly know what I even have, LOL

stephlovesmac

I have a really junky gold plated flat iron that I like to use for depotting. It has really wide plates, which I think makes the whole process easier. It's one thing I've noticed from a lot of the depotting videos, they don't use the high heat 1 inch flat irons. I burned myself with my Paul Brown iron so badly, that I couldn't feel the side of my thumb for a week.

I have tried the candle method, and I prefer the flat iron method. It heats more evenly, and it is much easier to work with. If the eyeshadow won't pop out of the plastic, just throw it back on the iron.

Dayjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula
Yeah, by the time I'm done, I'll have done about 6 palettes worth so with my already existing palettes, I'll have 13 altogether. Sometimes I wonder why I have so much, I hardly know what I even have, LOL

Just making sure you know--don't throw away the empty MAC pots after you depot. You can use them for the Back2MAC recycling program and get free lipstick (or lipglass or eyeshadow at freestanding stores).

chickatthegym

^ You're right! They always use the wider irons... I know why now LOL! I only have the thin CHI flat iron and it gets really hot, really fast so I just had to keep a close eye on the pots. But it works fine. It does heat the metal up FAST though and I kinda burned my hand a couple times (not too seriously) so I wish I would have worn gloves or something.

As far as depotting, it makes things so much more organized and easier to find. I wish I would have done it a long time ago now! I have 4 palettes and didn't depot any of my quads or small palettes. Do you guys depot your quads?

And has anyone else had trouble Back 2 Mac-ing your depotted shadows?

Ursula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjoy
Just making sure you know--don't throw away the empty MAC pots after you depot. You can use them for the Back2MAC recycling program and get free lipstick (or lipglass or eyeshadow at freestanding stores).

Yeah, got that in mind. I've been bagging them up and hoping to aquire some of Makeup Art Collection with them. thanks though, you never know who might be out of the loop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickatthegym
^ You're right! They always use the wider irons... I know why now LOL! I only have the thin CHI flat iron and it gets really hot, really fast so I just had to keep a close eye on the pots. But it works fine. It does heat the metal up FAST though and I kinda burned my hand a couple times (not too seriously) so I wish I would have worn gloves or something.

As far as depotting, it makes things so much more organized and easier to find. I wish I would have done it a long time ago now! I have 4 palettes and didn't depot any of my quads or small palettes. Do you guys depot your quads?

And has anyone else had trouble Back 2 Mac-ing your depotted shadows?

I'm planning to depot some quads because I don't like storing all the extra packaging, though I guess quads don't take up too much space, but I like to be able to see all the stuff I have in a color range in one place.

I called my MAC store just the other day to ask if the pots have to have the pans inside and they told me that they do not. I've heard that some folks have had trouble so it's probably best to call your store and find out. I understand that you can buy replacement empty pans at the craft store for pretty inexpensive.

chickatthegym

^I got denied last time at the MAC store in Naples. She said they had to have the metal pans in them. I thought about just putting some NYX pans in there that I don't like LOL... I thought the whole point of the B2M was to recycle the plastic pots? Do they recycle the pans too or something? I thought of buying new pans and putting them in but then that kind of defeats the whole recycling purpose, doesn't it LOL? I have about 75+ things to B2M now, so I think I will just wait til I travel next to a store where they don't give me trouble
winks.gif

stephlovesmac

I just took a bunch back to my local MAC without any problems. They didn't even ask about the depotted shadows. The whole process took about 5 minutes.

With that said, I did come prepared. I went onto MAC's live chat yesterday and asked about it, they said that they take back depotted shadows. So I emailed the chat transcript to my Blackberry and had it prepared just in case.

It seems kind of asinine that half of the MAC stores accept them, and the other half do not. I would have thought they would all be familiar with current policy.

Ode to Joy

When depotting quads, where do I insert the knive exactly?
I want to depot my photorealism quad, but there is almost no space to put a knive in. A scalpel might work, I am just worried it will damage the quad...

cocodivatime

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic
HELP! depotting disaster!!!
my blanc type eyeshadow shattered into what seems like 20 pieces, is it ok if i just use some alcholo and repress it using Enkore's method???
Even though its matte2, the finish won't be ruined rite?

This EXACT same thing happened to me with the EXACT same color/formula Blanc Type. It broke into like a million pieces.
I just ended up buying another one. But I've learned to not depot that formula (Matte2) because its too soft.

Aimishu

I like to depot my eyehsadows so that i have more room and wuch easier to put in a quad to bring with me. I do not depit my blushes since i tend to take the one im wearing that that with me as well in my kit
smiles.gif
hihih..
But other than that i like my eyeshadows to be organized

Mis_Prim

I've had no problems depotting shadows ( touch wood !!) But I was wondering if anyone has tired depotting lipsticks ? I want to keep my Heatherette packaging, but depot other lipsticks into it. I read somewhere on here that using a radiator to warm the lipstick will make it free to be taken out and transfered into another tube.

banana1234

i know this is probably blasphemous but has anyone depotted a hello kitty quad? i never really liked the packaging, but i really like some of the shadows, can anyone show me how to do it, with out totally messing up the packaging??