Depotting Shadows/Quads/Blushes/Blushcremes etc.

banana1234

thanks, ive done it with regular shadows before, but what about quads in special packaging ? does anyone know?

banana1234

so i just thought sod it, i'll give it a go, its pretty easy, but its also pretty easy to f up the packaging, so if anyone has any questions you can PM and i'll give you some pointers, but basically, the plastic tray is stuck down in a few places by double sided tape, so you just have to pry one of the metal sides of the special packaging down, so u can insert a knife or something underneath, and slowly pop it off, i wouldnt try to pry at the edges without folding one of the sides down, or you will bend the metal, making it bow or gape, then i just did the usual, on a hair straightener trying to get the pans out, except i accidently messed up yoghurt out of my too dolly quad, but i hear mattes and matte2 can be quite tricky to depot, i didnt shatter it, i just lost a big chunk, but it was my least favourite colour of them all, so i wasnt too bothered. once you've done it all, you can just fold the metal side back and put the plastic back in, and use it instead of a quad if you want, (it has a mirror in which is even better) i also did this with my heatherette trio. anyone has any questions at all, or would like me to demonstrate with pics, PM me XX

paparazziboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocodivatime
This EXACT same thing happened to me with the EXACT same color/formula Blanc Type. It broke into like a million pieces.
I just ended up buying another one. But I've learned to not depot that formula (Matte2) because its too soft.

i would have depotted many matte2 shadows and had no problem i just make sure that the plastic is at the right consistency to push on it and it pops out fine my blanc type is fine

Bria0083

In my experience I think de-potting blushes are the hardest task to do. I've broken four of my blushes in the process
ssad.gif
I think I'll just stick to leaving them in their packaging!

LoveStoned

i've just bought my first 15 eyeshadow pallette a few days ago and i'm waiting for it to arrive. i still haven't depoted any of my eyeshadows and i must admit i'm a little bit scared of doing it
ssad.gif
any special advice for poor little beginner me?
blush-anim-cl.gif

MsHielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveStoned
i've just bought my first 15 eyeshadow pallette a few days ago and i'm waiting for it to arrive. i still haven't depoted any of my eyeshadows and i must admit i'm a little bit scared of doing it
ssad.gif
any special advice for poor little beginner me?
blush-anim-cl.gif

No matter which method you use, it's best to take your time and don't try to rush through depotting. If you rush through it, you're more prone to breaking your shadows (I have learned this from experience, sadly).

ThePowderPuff

I want to try to depot using the original label, but I don't know which magnet to use. Normally I use a small magnet, but I suppose I need a magnet that's the same size as the pan almost when using the original label.

Which magnets work for that? I have one depotted eyeshadow received in a swap with a large magnet, and it's so powerfull it's almost impossible to remove from the palette. How do you use the original labels?

mariserinb

depotting question!

okay, hopefully i am putting this in the right place.

i bought some magnetized empty palettes at starsmakeuphaven.com

i depotted my mac shadows and it does not stick to the magnet in the palette. so i bought some separate magnets and apparently those do not stick either. i was confused because my UD shadows and the hotpot starsmakeuphaven sent me worked fine.

how am i supposed to put my mac shadows in there? or does this mean i can only put them in a mac palette (with separate magnets)?

so confused!

LC

Re: depotting question!

When you take the pans out of the shadow pot, they're not yet magnetized, so you'll need to use a separate magnet for each one...I'm not sure why they wouldn't stick to your palette, unless it's the same type of magnet and it's reflecting from each other.

mariserinb

yeah i guess that's what it is. damn. guess i'll have to go to the pro store sometime in the next few days since i now have 12 homeless eyeshadows!

ThePowderPuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katjamo
I want to try to depot using the original label, but I don't know which magnet to use. Normally I use a small magnet, but I suppose I need a magnet that's the same size as the pan almost when using the original label.

Which magnets work for that? I have one depotted eyeshadow received in a swap with a large magnet, and it's so powerfull it's almost impossible to remove from the palette. How do you use the original labels?

Anybody?

panda0410

You can actually get 26mm hole punches so you can cut exact size round magnets out from a sheet, or just buy the 26mm magnets from ebay. If you want to use the original label just hang the bottom over the pot over something with heat, the base label will begin to curl - peel it off and replace it immediately on the base of the pan over the pre-affixed magnet and wallah - your original label on your depot
smiles.gif

ThePowderPuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
You can actually get 26mm hole punches so you can cut exact size round magnets out from a sheet, or just buy the 26mm magnets from ebay. If you want to use the original label just hang the bottom over the pot over something with heat, the base label will begin to curl - peel it off and replace it immediately on the base of the pan over the pre-affixed magnet and wallah - your original label on your depot
smiles.gif

I can't find any 26 mm. on ebay. Only with holes in them
ssad.gif

mariserinb

so i thought i'd update on how i solved the problem.....

i just pushed the mac shadows into the pans that work with the palette. worked wonderfully and it's very secure! and now i don't have to go buying a much bigger palette!

MzzRach

*moving to MAC Chat*

FYI - the Recommendations forum is for product recommendations only. Thanks!