MAC Daphne Guinness Discussion

katred

Specktra Bestie
Just read this again. Do we think a midtone lavender could be a lighter version of Lavender Whip? Or better yet, a dupe?

"Mid-tone" is such a hard term to decipher. It can mean just about anything. Here's my completely unscientific thought process: The "Fresh Amour" mattene that came out with Posh Paradise (here are Temptalia's pics: http://www.temptalia.com/mac-posh-paradise-mattenes-swatches-photos-reviews#more-31571) was described as "light lavender". I'd expect that something described as "mid-tone" would be noticeably darker. That probably means it would be a bit deeper than LW, but might be close.

Of course, it's not like there's some empirical way to evaluate "light" vs. "Mid-Tone", but anyway...

liba

"Mid-tone" is such a hard term to decipher. It can mean just about anything. Here's my completely unscientific thought process: The "Fresh Amour" mattene that came out with Posh Paradise (here are Temptalia's pics: http://www.temptalia.com/mac-posh-paradise-mattenes-swatches-photos-reviews#more-31571) was described as "light lavender". I'd expect that something described as "mid-tone" would be noticeably darker. That probably means it would be a bit deeper than LW, but might be close.

Of course, it's not like there's some empirical way to evaluate "light" vs. "Mid-Tone", but anyway...
I suppose if you wanted to get really technical, "mid-tone" in photography refers to luminosity - the midpoint between pitch black darkness and total light reflectiveness. In paint mixing, it'd mean a pure base color mixed with white and black pigment, to reach a value that is right at the halfway point of brightness and darkness (somewhere in the area of 50/50 white and black mixed in, but this would depend on the starting pigment's hue). Whether MAC takes this super literally or not isn't something I'd know for sure. Mid-tone would certainly be different than "dirty", which usually implies a color that has its compliment mixed in to muddy the hue, which would be separate from how much white or black it's got, which will mostly be affecting the lightness. For example, this would be the difference between mixing white, black and brown to get light tan or dark chocolate; and mixing in a little extra green into the brown to get a taupe or clay color, separate from how much white or black you have.

Here's another example: Go For It lipstick is described as "mid-tone blue purple" and as all us purple-holics know, it's a color that isn't milky, but it's not murky or blackened either - just a color that reads as clear but without making your lips seem like they're too vibrantly or brightly standing out from the rest of your skin tone, no matter if you're in bright light or shade.

I don't own Lavender Whip, but looking at swatches and the official MAC description, I'm going to guess that it's brighter than what Seasoned Plum will be, if not lighter. Think Lavender Whip but standing out less on the lips when applied and we may be getting in the zone. :)

liba

oh here's Pantone Lavender:

Figure something in this vicinity, maybe a bit duller but still basically the same clear color.

aradhana

i think between this collection and the iris apfel collection, i'm going to be broke! the pigments and shadows sound lovely, as do the purpley/lavender toned lippies....
i don't know why i can't get enough of purple!? it's pretty much being featured in every collection!

incidentally, does anyone know why daphne guinness always gets associated with purple? (i'm thinking of that recent daphne inspired eyeshadow from nars...)

katred

Specktra Bestie
i think between this collection and the iris apfel collection, i'm going to be broke! the pigments and shadows sound lovely, as do the purpley/lavender toned lippies....
i don't know why i can't get enough of purple!? it's pretty much being featured in every collection!

incidentally, does anyone know why daphne guinness always gets associated with purple? (i'm thinking of that recent daphne inspired eyeshadow from nars...)

I was wondering that myself. Maybe she's as nuts for purple things as we are?

Piarpreet

thanx! I figured the cheapest way to survive halloween is with some red lipsticks, lipgloss and a cheap brown eyeshadow rubbed on eyelash glue :p
It actually turned out well... and $0!
lol! love your new profile pic btw!! :)

iheartangE

Azalea Blossooooooom!!

I am so excited they're repromoting this one-it is one of my all-time favorite blushes! I was so bummed I bought only one with Spring Color Forecast :( I got a Ripe Peach as well, but if I'm being totally honest-I've barely used it! I was never a 'cheek' girl anyhow...I think I'll experiment with it this week though, just because I've been slowly building up my cheek color recently and I think I'm ready for something new and unexpected.

For reference, ladies and gents, I am an NC15 in Studio Fix Fluid, and a Matchmaster 1.0...super pale! But I have olive-yellow undertones and I swear Azalea Blossom is SO flattering. I never thought I could wear a cool-toned pink blush and now it's my absolute favorite!

I will definitely be picking up at least one back-up...I skipped out on Vintage Grape last time and honestly I think I'll be doing so again-it's a bit too deep for my casper-y skin tone.

I'm also thinking about picking up the Interior Life quad-I'm a sucker for grays and pinks together. Seriously, Lingerie was one of my all-time favorite collections ever because of the beautiful lavender-pink-gray-brown color palette :)

martiangurll

oh here's Pantone Lavender:

Figure something in this vicinity, maybe a bit duller but still basically the same clear color.

Okay...if Seasoned Plum is described as a "midtone lavender", and Fresh Amour is a "light lavender", and your tone above is a "lavender" then I am thinking this Seasoned Plum will be close to Lav Whip. Then again, maybe I am just dreaming

Piarpreet

lav whip is pinkier though.... i'd say more a fusion of up the amp and fresh amour... or even like blooming lovely.... but maybe im tripping on colors....

Okay...if Seasoned Plum is described as a "midtone lavender", and Fresh Amour is a "light lavender", and your tone above is a "lavender" then I am thinking this Seasoned Plum will be close to Lav Whip. Then again, maybe I am just dreaming

aradhana

I was wondering that myself. Maybe she's as nuts for purple things as we are?

yes that must be it :)
comforting to have something in common with the rich and fabulous ;)
i think from now on i will always associate her with purple...but i have to admit, i hadn't really heard too much of her before the nars shadow....

singer82

Right! I took some clothes from my closet, did my makeup, and used my vampire teeth from 2009. Thats the way to do it for halloween. No way I'm going to pay 40-50$ for a costume

Jennifae

Specktra Bestie
I can't wait for swatches!

I'm interested in:
Approaching Storm
Red Dwarf
Aurora
Nebula
Circa Plum
Azalea Blossom
Vintage Grape

Maybe:
Interior Life Eyeshadow Quad
Japanese Spring
Borealis

UrbanSweetheart

I just got Azalea Blossom recently thanks to a lovely lady here on Specktra, and I love it so much already! I will totally be purchasing a backup of that
flower.gif

I wish they were repromoting Springsheen (or is it shine? I always get that confused...) ombre blush! I use it to contour a lot =\

LMD84

yup i went to a party on saturday and did the same thing! :) and for hubby i just bought some cheap face paints for hubby to turn him into a skeleton :)

Piarpreet

OMG you guys remember I sadi i was so happy i was waiting for a swap for Ripe Peach? I've been swap lifted! :O

She/he deleted her/his account :O Damn :( it's the third time this year.... has it happened that often to you gals that swap often? 3 out of 30 swaps :(

Now I'm angry they are not repromoting it!!!!!!!

Jennifae

Specktra Bestie
OMG you guys remember I sadi i was so happy i was waiting for a swap for Ripe Peach? I've been swap lifted! :O

She/he deleted her/his account :O Damn :( it's the third time this year.... has it happened that often to you gals that swap often? 3 out of 30 swaps :(

Now I'm angry they are not repromoting it!!!!!!!

Oh, wow... that is just awful. What kind of person does that?!?

I hope they do repromote Ripe Peach... someday...

Piarpreet

her user name on MUA was MakeupPro80 (she said her name was lindsay on her note pad) but then the email i had to send the payment to was jeremy and then her account name was christina hahahah I just noticed it after the payment lol. I did report it to paypal. Hopefully I will get a refund but who knows....

I am very exited about this collection. It's really unfortunate that I'll be out of the country when this comes out. I doubts they will have special packaging after G&I and GP but it would be so awesome a purple packaging would be sooooo extreme! AND never seen before!

Latest posts