MAC - Prolongwear Discussion

PinkBasset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katjamo
Am I the only one who didn't find that this lasted very long? After 3-4 hours I started looking dewy, it wasn't better results compared to other long-wearing foundations.

In fact the only foundation that really last on me is Maybelline Superstay 24hr. I am really sad, the colour selection is so much better at MACs so I had my hopes up for this one.

It lasted me about the same as other foundations (I don't do touch ups with any foundations because they usually stay on me pretty well, unless it's a really crappy one) until I take it off, sometimes 5 hours, sometimes 12.
But what I did notice, was that it didn't handle windy and rainy weather. It was looking quite bad after just a few moments in that weather. Otherwise no complaints yet it holding up.
smiles.gif

Shadowy Lady

So i got a sample of this foundation last week to try out. She tried both NW30 and NW25 on me at the counter. NW30 was too dark and NW25 was a bit light. I got a sample of NW25 as I have a tan still and in a few weeks it should be a perfect match.

I wore this foundation today at 9 am and it is now 8 pm and it still looks perfect. I'm really impressed with that part so far. I do find that NW25 in this foundation looks more orange than NW25 in SFF but it looks good once I put it on. I also noted that I need a smaller amount than SFF to get great coverage. I applied it with 187 which is my go to foundation brush and it went on flawless.

So far so good, I'll wear it a few more times and if I still like it I will go for the full bottle
smiles.gif

sss215

Quote:
Originally Posted by shontay07108
Well, Mufe being my favorite brand, I'm glad you still love Mat Velvet
greengrin.gif
. I'm sorry the Mac foundation didn't work out for you. You still don't like it with the concealer? I always have to do a foundation/concealer combo myself.

Question: If I have NC50 in this foundation, should I go ahead and get the same shade in the concealer? I don't need a lighter concealer to highlight or whatever. I want a color match. Just wondering how the coloring for the concealer runs.
Also, can anyone compare studio finish concealer to this concealer? I love studio finish, but the fact that I love this PLW foundation so much keeps me interested in the concealer.

Not really. The foundation is just too sheer for me. To get the coverage I want, I would have to use concealer all over and then foundation which is pointless because the concealer works just fine by itself. The NW45 foundation runs too sheer. NW50 concealer is just the right; and since one pump (the flaw in the packaging design) blends out to cover my whole face, the flaw works out in my favor.

The coverage is pretty WOW! A little bit of concealer goes along way. it blends nicely. I say test it because the colors run so funny. NC50 concealer does not look like NC50 foundation at all.

I am kind of disappointed about not being able to get a good foundation match, because a long wearing, non transferable formula is what I live for!

Quote:
Am I the only one who didn't find that this lasted very long? After 3-4 hours I started looking dewy, it wasn't better results compared to other long-wearing foundations.

In fact the only foundation that really last on me is Maybelline Superstay 24hr. I am really sad, the colour selection is so much better at MACs so I had my hopes up for this one.

I got dewy a few hours after I wore the foundation during testing because it was extremely humid here the past couple of days. When I first brought the foundation, it lasted forever. It was cooler out too. I find the foundation is longwearing, just oily girls need to blot. Once I blotted, everything looked pretty flawless again. Personally, I just can't fight mother nature on this. If you're oily, expect some dew, and pack your blot powder.

makeba

ss215 I know how you feels about the color match issue. I am nw40 but found this color to be off. like a pink undertone. I went to the counter today and was matched in nc45 in plw. I will test this out tomorow and see if it will work.

aradhana

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeba
ss215 I know how you feels about the color match issue. I am nw40 but found this color to be off. like a pink undertone. I went to the counter today and was matched in nc45 in plw. I will test this out tomorow and see if it will work.

I am nw35 in select spf15 and nw40 in studio sculpt, and I was also colour matched for prolongwear foundation in nc45. I was surprised to be matched with an nc, but even in store when swatched on either jawline, I could see that the nw35 was too pinky and ashy in comparison. I was happy with the colour match...but in the end I find this foundation makes my skin look a bit too dry for my liking!

Nicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkin86
I bought the concealer. It is my first MAC concealer and I really like it! Hoping to try the foundation once I have some extra $$

This is my first MAC concealer as well. I'm quite pleased with it
yes.gif

angelisagemini

I wish I was able to get to a MAC counter without hopping on a plane...none of my foundations last more than a few hours here. The humidity is relentless and sunshowers happen all the time. Not the best makeup environment.

If my NC20 Select moisture cover is perfect for me does anyone know what color I should try in the foundation/concealer for this line?

ThePowderPuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelisagemini
I wish I was able to get to a MAC counter without hopping on a plane...none of my foundations last more than a few hours here. The humidity is relentless and sunshowers happen all the time. Not the best makeup environment.

If my NC20 Select moisture cover is perfect for me does anyone know what color I should try in the foundation/concealer for this line?

I would say stick with NC20. I am normally NC20 and I am also NC 20 in this.

ThePowderPuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBasset
It lasted me about the same as other foundations (I don't do touch ups with any foundations because they usually stay on me pretty well, unless it's a really crappy one) until I take it off, sometimes 5 hours, sometimes 12.
But what I did notice, was that it didn't handle windy and rainy weather. It was looking quite bad after just a few moments in that weather. Otherwise no complaints yet it holding up.
smiles.gif

My problem is mostly sweat. I get pretty sweatty in the face. It really didn't handle that well I think. Which is a shame, because in the winter I think I will have a difficult time finding a Maybelline Superstay, that is light enough for me (the european shades, maybe I should the american, I think you have a different colour selection.

RayannaBanana

I'd really like to see a swatch of the NC15 concealer if someone has it.
Maybe if possible to swatch it with NW15 studio finish concealer? That's what I use.

PinkBasset

Quote:
My problem is mostly sweat. I get pretty sweatty in the face. It really didn't handle that well I think. Which is a shame, because in the winter I think I will have a difficult time finding a Maybelline Superstay, that is light enough for me (the european shades, maybe I should the american, I think you have a different colour selection.

Yes, seems this one doesn't hold on so good if you're sweating, I noticed it too once I got sweaty wearing it.

I tried to mix it with the careblend oils and they gave it a more dewy look. It didn't look dry with the oil, like this foundation sometimes can make the skin look more dry if not super well moisturized.

Also I wore Good To Go today with Temperature Rising lip pencil. They are the exact same colour!
yes.gif
I was happy to see GTG going on very true orange on me, on my hand it looked more red. I took it off after wearing it for about 5 hours and it still looked good even I was drinking and eating with it.

angelisagemini

Quote:
My problem is mostly sweat. I get pretty sweatty in the face. It really didn't handle that well I think. Which is a same, because in the winter I think I will have a difficult time finding a Maybelline Superstay, that is light enough for me (the european shades, maybe I should the american, I think you have a different colour selection.

Thanks for this review! Officially not interested now. You just saved me $30!

Lyssah

I picked up a sample of the concealer in NW15 (or so that's what I asked for; it seems a little yellow for NW, so the MUA may have given me NC15 by accident).
I have sensitive skin and so far I haven't had a reaction.
I normally use Studio Finish NW15 concealer and it brightens my under eye area - but looks like I've got makeup on.
The PLW concealer applies naturally, it doesn't brighten under my eyes like studio finish. It sinks into my fine lines a little bit, but not as bad as studio finish.
One bad thing I noticed is a grayish cast after applying it to my under eye area. Has anyone noticed this?

PinkBasset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssah
I picked up a sample of the concealer in NW15 (or so that's what I asked for; it seems a little yellow for NW, so the MUA may have given me NC15 by accident).
I have sensitive skin and so far I haven't had a reaction.
I normally use Studio Finish NW15 concealer and it brightens my under eye area - but looks like I've got makeup on.
The PLW concealer applies naturally, it doesn't brighten under my eyes like studio finish. It sinks into my fine lines a little bit, but not as bad as studio finish.
One bad thing I noticed is a grayish cast after applying it to my under eye area. Has anyone noticed this?

The grayish cast might suggest that it is the NC and not NW. You could ask another sample to get it right, NW is so much better for under eye area.
smiles.gif

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBasset
The grayish cast might suggest that it is the NC and not NW. You could ask another sample to get it right, NW is so much better for under eye area.
smiles.gif

exactly what i was gonna say. sounds like she got an nc.

karester

Today I put on just the concealer, which I really like, it's been on for 5 hours and no fading. The only thing is it makes my undereye look really dry and it's making the lines a little prominent. Could it be that I applied it wrong? I mean I did use a concealer brush. Or should I do some moisturizer under my eye and let it absorb first?

I really want to have this be my HG, I need a good long lasting concealer because everything else fades and I start looking raccoonish.

Sass

I'm about due for foundation so I'm going to go get matched and try this baby out...foundation and concealer. I need full coverage so I'm hoping I can build the foundation as much as I need to. I just need something that's going to last. My desperate self is mixing Mercier tinted moisturizer with MUFE Mat Velvet, it's working very well...but it's just not right and totally doesn't make any sense. I'm embarassed. Anyway, hopefully I'll have nothing but good things to report about this one. I have very oily skin, fyi.

martiangurll

Well, shucks. I am wearing the foundation today and lets just say it looks really crappy right now. If you have any issues with dryness, it doesn't work so well. I have patchy spots all over.

Guess I should have moisturized well before putting this on, but I was in a pinch for time this AM.

Maybe I should have skipped my primer. Will try again and report back...

staceb1990

It's been almost a week and I still really like the foundation and concealer! I have noticed though that NC15 is too dark for me, but the way I fix that is by using N3 in Studio Fix Powder to set the foundation.

PinkBasset

The most annoying part of this foundation is that it makes skin look dry so easily. Especially I hate that it makes my nose look dry! Even sometimes after a heavy moisturizing it still looks dry on some parts. Even mixed with the mineralize all over lotion. And I don't want to look dry. Wow, I said dry many times.
thmbdn.gif
Sometimes I don't know if it's the foundation or does the dryness come after setting powder. I've tried it with Prep&Prime powder as well as MSFN, no difference (except for undereyes, MSFN does not work with the prolongwear concealer concealer for me, looks super dry immediately!P&P is much better there). I still for some reason want to make it work, it was so promising at first.