MAC UK Interview Process & Demos

sarahsharkbait

THANK YOU so much for posting this.
I one day, want to work behind a make-up counter one day, pref Lancome, MAC, Dior or YSL.. after working at John lewis and being mezmorised by it all.
But it sounds sooo nerve wrecking, knowing me, I'd land up poking my model in the eye.
But congrats on getting that far and judging by it, you were amazingly well.
I cannot thank you enough for posting this.
Once again.
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

macbaby1987

Hi I was just wondering how much does a full time MUA get on a MAC counter in London, I really want to apply!!But if the pay doesn't match my stupid rent i'll be very sad :( All help greatly appreciated!!!

FafiNati

I applied for a christmas temp job at my local MAC. They liked my CV and my qualification (Diploma in beauty science) which taught us basic make up application and applying false eyelashes (strip and the single ones). But unfortuneatly I didn't have a portfolio to show my techniques on other people. As they wanted to see different shades and how I think I would work on other peoples different skin tones/eye colours. I dont think they hired anyone in the end whooopss!

Rachl

Hi,
newhere.gif

I had my make up demo and 2nd interview in London on Thurs 6th and still haven't heard anything. I was wondering does anyone know how long they usually take to let you know? I'm so nervous; I really want to know how I got on!
wacko.gif

Shaa77

Hi Ben

I have read through your very interesting demo story. Would you be able to help me or give me an outline as to the best way to answer the following questions. You may email me on [email protected].

Thank you

If M.A.C was a colour what would it be?
Describe your personal and make-up styles.
Favourite make-up artists.
What inspires you?
How would you determine someone skin type?
If someone had very dehydrated skin, what foundation/products would you recommend?
What would you use first; foundation or concealer?
Describe to me a typical 1940's make up style

What do you understand about the M.A.C philosophy?
Why did you choose M.A.C?
What is your personal style and how do you think you would fit in here?
How would you keep yourself motivated working for us?
What are your ideal work partner qualities? Your worst work partner qualities?
etc......

Kind Regards

Sha

Vernazza Makeup

Thanks to Ben for posting that..
urock.gif
you gave me the confidence to really go for it..

I had already been knocked back from 2 telephone interviews so confidence was a little low even though im a pro artist working on photoshoots and have been since 2008. But now I just passed one... so im really happy :)

Now i have to wait and see if MAC call me for an interview :) xx

For anyone about to telephone interview you should research all the questions Ben wrote down, but you have to do it for yourself you cant have him answer them for you as you wont remember the answers anyway..

I had the answers written out on paper all spread out in front of me. I had one page headed RETAIL with all my experience written down then another called MUA EXP with all my makeup experience written down... and so on.. So when they asked me a question I could just see it in front of me..

Good luck xx

Adele-Marie

This isn't particularly true in all. I'm in the middle of applying for a job for MAC in a duty free store and I have not been on any makeup courses nor am I a MUA. I spoke to a manager on the counter and she kindly let me know experiance isn't the main thing they look for. If you have enough ethusiasm for the brand and products thats what they like to see. I of course am not sure if this applys to every single store/counter. Some may differ. But I have heard that sometimes they like not so trained people as then they learn everything the MAC way!!

Just thought I'd have my 2 cents ha.

Adele-Marie xx

daisybuti

I suppose they do sometimes prefer a bit of experience in Make Up, but i think strong retail experience especially in cosmetics retail will give you a good strong base.
I have been to a MU school which is why I think i was able to get the first interview. However, experience in retail is low, but customer service experience is great.
I am lucky that the manager likes me, because I got through to 2nd interview which is demo, and i totally screwed that up by not discussing the face chart with my model, and also bad time management and bad lipstick application! I was told i was great with matching products, very informative and shared a lot of tips. My manager told me if I had missed out one product it wouldnt be as bad, but 3 products is just.... bad.

Anyway, because of my bad performance in my demo, the original position i applied for, which was retail MUA, i didnt get it.

However, the manager who interviewed me in first interview, she really liked me and offered me a host/cashier position and progress from that. She advised me to work closely with exisiting artists in the store so i can learn more from them, and to attend seminars etc. I am so lucky!

I dont know if my interview after the demo interview was taken into consideration though, cause after demo i got interveiwd for another 15 minutes just on general retailing experience, MAC in general, trends etc.

Now i am just waiting for my store approval. I am so happy to even get my foot in the door! And glad that the manager gave me the chance to prove myself!

So, a make up cert is sort of important cause its prbably what could/would get you the interview. But previous cosmetic retail is good too, do not neccessarily need the make up cert. Esp if you hand in CV in person, if they see you and like you, they will probably offer you the interview (my cousin applied for bobbi (no experience) and they offered her an interview, if you go through estee lauder they ask you LOTS of questions and if you have no experience in retail AND make up application, they refuse to take the interview further)

PhoebeP

Hello my Lovelies,

I am keen to start my career as a Makeup Artist and am practically gagging to work for MAC due to their funky atmosphere and incredible training! I am also undergoing a masters course at AOFM in July 2013 who are sponsered by MAC.

I recently applied for a position on the Estee Lauder website in a London store with wishful thinking and more for the ''Whats the worst they can say, no!''. I was very surprised when I was invited for a telephone interview.

I have no professional makeup expierience but am self taught through countless YouTube tutorials and the love of practising make up on myself, friends & family. I do however have 2 and a half years luxury senior retail expierience working for Kurt Geiger.

I prepared myself for the interview as much as I could researching the company in as much detail as possible (Mac Aids Funds, Mac Pro Programme, Back to Mac etc..) all in which i found on their website. I wrote it all out so I had in front of me which helped. The questions I were asked are:

Why would you like to work for MAC?
What do you know about the company?
What retail expierience do you have?
What make up expierience do you have?

I was then put on hold as my answers were assesed to then only hear the dissapointing, ''unfortuantly we have other applicants with more expierience'' ! :(

Personally I have never got any previous jobs by applying online, I have always took myself into stores, got chatting with employees and managers and handing in my CV.

I also have had a temp job with Jo Malone (another company owned by Estee Lauder), again I managed to get the interview directly by going into the store, I didnt go through any of the Estee lauder process.

So.. on Saturday I will be taking a visit to my local MAC and giving the 1st impression I was unable to do with my trembling nervous phone voice! Face to face is always better, allow them to portray their own image of you, after all that is what its all about!

I really hope this gives some the confidence after a knock back to keep on trying! We will get there one day!

Phoebe xxxx

I passed my telephone interview and I'm waiting for the area manager to contact me for a face-to-face interview. I applied for the cashier role and I'll mostly be on the tills processing transactions and selling additional products to customers. I was wondering if I would have to do a demo on a model because I wasn't told I would need to in my telephone interview? I have lots of retail and customer service experience but not much makeup experience. I'm going to do a makeup course in the summer and they seemed ok with that.
Hiya! Ive got a telephone interview with Mac and I was hoping you could give me some advice on how I should go about it and also the questions they ask so I can prepare myself for it? thanks soo much! x

Fahima86

HI EVERYONE. i have handed in my CV at white city MAC i have great passion for makeup and love applying it on others. i have done makeup courses and do freelance bridal makeup and have worked in shoe retail few years back. does anyone know how long they usually call u if they are interested? i really really want the job part time as i am a mum too. :)

LaurenWolf

I applied online, passed my phone interview and then went for my face to face interview and demo last Weds in Meadowhall. Most of the questions were about sales and then I had another mini interview at the end about makeup with the trainer. They said they would call me within 2 weeks (it's been 8 days already) so I'm keeping all my fingers and toes crossed it's positive news. :)

Fahima86

That's great Lauren do u have alot of sales experience I haven't heard from them don't think they are interested because I don't have sales wxpwrie

LaurenWolf

That's great Lauren do u have alot of sales experience I haven't heard from them don't think they are interested because I don't have sales wxpwrie
Hey, Yeah I've worked in the industry for a while and have loads of sales experience as well as freelance. I got a call from the area manager last week saying sorry she's not been in touch and I should get a call this week (the week just gone) and still nothing. It's been nearly a month since my demo!!!