MAC - Venomous Villains Discussion

shontay07108

Re: MAC - Venomous Villains discussion

I think it's awesome to not go with typical villains. I'm all for throwing people for a loop. Also, I don't expect this collection to make me look like any of these characters. I wouldn't want that at all unless it's Halloween. However, makeup inspired by these characters, the shades, maybe even the textures excites me a great deal.

PS: Am I the only one who was spooked the hell out by the trailer?
lol.gif
no, seriously.

lovesongx

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfSnark
Maybe it's just me, but the voodoo guy being in this collection is so random that I'm seriously hoping they didn't just put him in there in a ploy to be PC/diverse. Seriously, Ursula or any other female Disney villain would've made more sense, as this is a makeup collection primarily purchased by women.

I'm still hoping these characters aren't all for the release and we'll see some more. I'm all for Team Ursula!

(In case anyone gets offended by my statement above: I am a WOC and while I love diversity, I can't stand "token" diversity. Which it's striking me as happening with the inclusion of Dr. Facilier.)

I think they're just using him because he's the most recent villain? (Except for the Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland but that's co-produced with other studios and not just Disney owned, also I think Urban Decay already have their finger in that pie as banana1234 mentioned).

Maybe they're trying to boost DVD sales of The Princess and the Frog or something?
But probably they're just trying to reach a younger audience, I hope so anyway, because your theory about the token diversity would be quite upsetting if it were true!

DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroerin
I am SO ridiculously excited for this collection. Sure, the villain from Princess & the Frog was a bit out of the blue, but I LOVED that movie, so I'm interested to see what they choose for his part of the collection. I'm THRILLED that MAC (wisely) picked Maleficent for the collection. I'd be livid if she weren't!

Okay, they HAVE to do some freaking BA packaging for this collection! I can see shiny black packaging but with red, green, purple, or blue (?) glimmer/sheen depending on the character, maybe with some white script for the "MAC" label. I would say a gothic/victorian pattern, but Baroque Boudoir already had that... and I doubt MAC would release 2 victorian-patterned collections within a year of each other!

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen_kitty
I think perhaps the packaging will be black with maybe the sketchy designs of the character on them like they showed in the video. I just can't wait!!! This is going to be so fun, I'm the most excited about Maleficent and the Evil Queen. They are both so gorgeous in their movies, but the other two have a lot of fun potential as well. Dr. Facilier was really cool, and they could use some really awesome colors for them. And I seriously doubt they wouldn't do some kind of eyeshadows...that would be kind of weird. But I'm hoping for paintpots too, in really fun colors! That would be awesome, like a matte green and purple.

I'm willing to bet the farm that this will be the packaging. Black matte cases with the sketches of the appropriate villian. I'm not that hung up on the packaging but really what products are going to be used.

sailordom

Like I said earlier, my disappointment in the inclusion of the Princess & the Frog villain has nothing to do the merits of the movie or the merits of him as a villain. I didn't see the movie, so I have no opinion on his villian-ness. I'm sure he's excellently evil!
smiles.gif

But I don't see how adding a villain that was in a disappointingly performing movie adds to the collection. If Disney wanted a more recent villain, I think they would have been better off to use Ursula or Jafar, because I think those are probably better known to MAC's target audience than a villain so recent that most don't know who he is. After all, people who were young when Aladdin came out are now in college, so that seems a perfect fit to me!

I just think he sticks out because he's in a group with three of the most iconic characters in Disney's history, and he doesn't have the same history (through no fault of his own!).

(And I follow entertainment news pretty closely, so I admit that's some of my bias. I was hoping the movie would do better because I miss traditional 2D animation, but Princess & the Frog just didn't connect with a wide audience.)

Having said that, it's totally a minor quibble! I love the idea for the collection!

But a product of his (assuming there's special packaging) will have to wow me way more than the other three villains to make it onto my list because I would have no reason to buy it except for the merits of the product itself. Because, why yes, I do get sucked in by pretty packaging.
mac_haul.gif

Teggy

Really...the villains they use aren't nearly as important to me as the products themselves.

My dream product would be a line of MES along the line of Style Black (black base with mega sparkle), but with a wider range of shimmers that include RED, or GREEN, or BLACK!

omgitzstephanie

Yes! We need more MES like the Style Black ones. Those were AMAZING. Like Teggy said, a red one would be cool or a turquoise one!!

ElleStar04

I'm UBER Excited! September is my Birthday Month so I already know what I want for my BDAY!!!

Shadowy Lady

where are u guys getting the product lists and how there might now be any eyeshadows? I must have missed it somehow....

shontay07108

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordom
Like I said earlier, my disappointment in the inclusion of the Princess & the Frog villain has nothing to do the merits of the movie or the merits of him as a villain. I didn't see the movie, so I have no opinion on his villian-ness. I'm sure he's excellently evil!
smiles.gif

But I don't see how adding a villain that was in a disappointingly performing movie adds to the collection. If Disney wanted a more recent villain, I think they would have been better off to use Ursula or Jafar, because I think those are probably better known to MAC's target audience than a villain so recent that most don't know who he is. After all, people who were young when Aladdin came out are now in college, so that seems a perfect fit to me!

I don't mind the inclusion of the Princess and the Frog villain. I think it will bring attention to a "breakthrough" movie that went under the radar partly due to the lead princess being African-American. Perhaps Mac lovers or people who see this collection, in general, will have their interest in this film sparked. So, in the end, I think it's a good thing. Above all else, I want to see the actual makeup.

sailordom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
where are u guys getting the product lists and how there might now be any eyeshadows? I must have missed it somehow....

I think the speculation about the lack of eyeshadows is coming from the WWD info, which said: "Lipstick, powder, lip gloss and blush shades will be sold, ranging in price from $12 to $29.50." (quote from Temptalia.)

But I'm in the camp that says eyeshadows will be included. I don't think WWD necessarily was giving a definitive product list.

ReveNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana1234
i have no problem with a bloke being in the line up! jafar would have been pretty cool, this guy doesnt even look like he is wearing any type of 'make up', jafar at least has the eyeliner thing going on

Would love to have seen Jafar! I can just imagine the products that would've been inspired by him...

Rinstar

I agree about Jafar. Also, to me, the Evil Queen and Maleficent seem very similar. Why not use only one of those two?? Ursula would have been super too.

Barbie-gone-bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungelly87
okay so I'm a bit of a MAC newbie...what's something that would cost $29.50? That's too little for a palette and too much for a blush...

Beauty Powers or palettes most likey...a nice disney compact <3
yahoo.gif

TheTeenageMuse

This has probably already been said but I think the $12 applies to nailpolish. Which would make the product list invalid and then we can have EYESHADOW!!!

purrtykitty

I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but for $29.50, I highly doubt those are palettes. MAC's trios, quads and palettes are all in the $30 range. The only thing MAC sells in the $12 to $29.50 price range are lip palettes.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I doubt MAC would drop prices that much. I think we're going to see some sort of compact a la Hello Kitty.

mizuki~

This collection better have some bangin' packaging to make up for not including Ursula, the baddest b*tch of them all
nonono.gif

I like the idea of black packaging with the color sketches of the characters like in the teaser video. Not too cheesy IMO

Also..please please please have beauty powders!

MAC_Fafinette14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuki~
This collection better have some bangin' packaging to make up for not including Ursula, the baddest b*tch of them all
nonono.gif

They could have had some kind of product/facechart named (Poor) "Unfortunate Soul" for it...
drools.gif

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by shontay07108
PS: Am I the only one who was spooked the hell out by the trailer?
lol.gif
no, seriously.

its wicked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teggy
My dream product would be a line of MES along the line of Style Black (black base with mega sparkle), but with a wider range of shimmers that include RED, or GREEN, or BLACK!

drools.gif
drools.gif
drools.gif

kaylabella

I think if they wanted to include a more recent villain, they could have used Queen Narissa from Enchanted. She's fierce and Susan Sarandon was amazing, but she is reminiscent of both Malificent and the Evil Queen, so I can understand why they wouldn't include her.

But I love Dr. Facillier! He was an awesome villain in The Princess and the Frog and all of the stuff he does with the voodoo and his "friends from the other side" has a lot of color potential. I definitely remember some neons in those scenes and also lots of blues, purples, reds, and blacks! So I do think he'll be an interesting one to see how he plays out.

Another villain that would have been cool to see if they wanted to throw in a dude is Hades! He would have given them some different colors to play with, the blues and grays and silvers and blacks!

And seriously, why didn't they include Ursula?! She's like, the baddest of the bad! She and Malificent are my all time favorite Disney villains, you'd think she'd automatically be included! She would have the grays, purples, blacks, greens, and that bright pink from the lipstick thing she puts on! Oooh! And maybe the yellow of Flotsam and Jetsam's eyes!! Hopefully they'll surprise all of us and include her! haha

I'm feeling a lot of purple, black, green, and red in our color future with this collection! I am sooo excited!

TeresitaMC

While I get why they would choose a villain from a more recent movie, it's of recent hype, new and can target a younger audience, I also believe choosing strictly 'classics' would have worked just as well.
smiles.gif
After all, Disney re-releases their movies for different generations, not to mention all the parents that must introduce their children to all the classics we love
greengrin.gif

Either way, I can't wait to see or hear what the products are so I can know what my budget is! lol
lol.gif