NARS Summer 2012

katred

Specktra Bestie
Oh dear... M-G got a really bad review on Temptalia:

http://www.temptalia.com/nars-marie-galante-eyeshadow-duo-review-photos-swatches

It's bizarre, because reading her review and Cafe Makeup's, it doesn't even sound like they're talking about the same product. CM doesn't mention anything about the product being very sheer, although she does say that it was built up for the look (which I would have guessed, given that the lid colour is quite bright). And the swatches look totally different! I get that they have different opinions- which they're both clear about- on whether or not they like the finish, but it seems strange that women who know beauty would come to such drastically different conclusions.

These are the times when I think of how lucky I am to live somewhere I can easily swatch the products in person...

Monsy

i stopped reading her reviews a while ago... i just look at the pics

she reviews like a machine, too many items a day
i really don't think she takes time with the products

Aquamarine1543

http://www.temptalia.com/nars-marie-galante-eyeshadow-duo-review-photos-swatches

It's bizarre, because reading her review and Cafe Makeup's, it doesn't even sound like they're talking about the same product. CM doesn't mention anything about the product being very sheer, although she does say that it was built up for the look (which I would have guessed, given that the lid colour is quite bright). And the swatches look totally different! I get that they have different opinions- which they're both clear about- on whether or not they like the finish, but it seems strange that women who know beauty would come to such drastically different conclusions.

These are the times when I think of how lucky I am to live somewhere I can easily swatch the products in person...

As far as I know, she isn't a big fan of Nars eyeshadow basically. I read about it on Temptalia a couple of months ago.
She usually doesn't give good grades on Nars eyeshadows. (maybe from around B+ to B-)
IMO, when she writes some reviews about them, maybe she turns to be little subjectice at least.

mac_aiken

Hers is the ONLY negative review I can find. I spoke with friends who are NARS artists and some who are NARS afficenados (sp?) and I actually got asked twice if I was sure she reviewed the correct duo.

I only look at T's site for swatches now. I have several products that I personally love that she gave D-F reviews on. She says she is unbiased but there are some thing she just doesn't like (and that is fine) and she always gives them horrible reviews (like MAC mineralize products and NARS Soft Touch pencils). It would be more helpful at this point if she would just swatch these and not review them.

kimbunney

I read her review. She stated that it lacked three things creasing, fading and fallout. Just a personal opinion those things can be fixed with an extra base and applying foundation/concealer after eyeshadow application. Christine site is helpful but I just don't like how she holds everything up to the MAC veluxe pearl type finish. I don't think everything is meant to be so pigmented. But at the same time it's her site and her opinion so I just let my opinion win when Im spending my own money. With that said I'm still buying the duo!

toautumn

I totally agree that sometimes she holds things to a standard that the product was not even designed to meet. But I do agree with her soft touch pencil reviews because those things will crease into the lines on my hand!

But I really like the look of the duo, especially how it is on Cafe Makeup.

Miss QQ

CM makes me want to buy M-G. I mostly look at the pictures at Temptalia only for all her reviews. Too bad I can't see or swatch anything from NARS in person, but I'm lucky I can trust the opinions on Specktra. Let us know what you think of it. I am waiting for CM to review the trio!

The duo looks so pretty with Never Say Never! Liberte looks gorgeous on CM too, I'm a bit chicken - I don't know if I can pull off such a deep colour.

katred

Specktra Bestie
I totally agree that sometimes she holds things to a standard that the product was not even designed to meet. But I do agree with her soft touch pencil reviews because those things will crease into the lines on my hand!

But I really like the look of the duo, especially how it is on Cafe Makeup.

Sadly, I bought Celebrate from last year's spring collection and I've almost never been able to make it work, even as a base. If I use it, I can't use eye liner, because it causes the liner to bleed all over my lids (even if I set it with powder). I love the colour so much that I'll sometimes pull it out just to try again, but I've really not had much luck.

I do think that the duo looks like it has a very different kind of a finish- both T and CM said that it was like nothing they'd seen from Nars before- and I'm expecting it to be sheer but buildable. I'm so in love with the looks I've seen with it (ironically including the ones where Christine was wearing it to swatch the Nars lipsticks- I thought it looked wonderful!) that I have a feeling I'll be picking it up and figuring out how to make it work for me.

I can usually fix creasing with a primer and with building sheer layers and fallout is something that I get with a lot of shadows (including Hourglass and my beloved Armani Eyes to Kill), so even if I have some of the same issues, I figure they might not bother me as much.

Miss QQ

^^ I like the look T did with the duo for the lip swatches too. I'm with you, I am not bothered by fallouts unless they are large chunky glitters like UD ones. I have semi hidden double eyelids so everything creases unless I use primer. And I use Chanel baked eye quads and they are mostly buildable and needs layering. I seem to be justifying why I need the duo lol. Here's a review of Moscow, gorgeous on her! After reading what she has to say about its comfort level on dry lips, I think I'm ready to plunge and get my first pure matte lipstick. http://messywands.blogspot.com/2012/04/nars-summer-2012-moscow-pure-matte.html

cutemiauw

Yeah, I'm mostly not agreeing with T either. For me, lots of times the colors/texture that she recommends isn't really my favorite. For instance I tried the Cle de Peau lippies (I think she's raving a lot about it) but I'm not too crazy about it - especially with that price :p.

Karen put up a review of Ramatuelle: http://www.makeupandbeautyblog.com/...-eyeshadow-is-both-cool-and-warm/#more-109119
I'm not too crazy with the colors on her, unfortunately... maybe just the placements?

So, in my attempt on being frugal and sure of the products I'm buying, I'm trying to recreate the look with some products I have. I don't have anything close to silver so I took a little bit of UD Gunmetal from Naked Palette and apply it with MUFE Aqua Eyes 23L (light champagne) I think that's closest thing to a cool silver I have. It's still way darker than the silver in trio would look like :D. Also the light in my apartment is kinda awful to catch colors but I'd love to hear your thoughts :).
Result:

Eyes: MAC Lithe Pigment & MAC Saffron
Liner: Chanel Espresso
Blush: Nars Taj Mahal
Lips: Mac Prolongwear So Very Good, with Instagold lustre on top of it.

I think I've just convinced myself to get the trio. LOL.

MissQQ - I think Moscow looks very pretty on her too! Would love to see how it looks on you :)

MarieMary

I've stopped reading Temptalia's reviews or look at her swatches actually, because she is just not objective. Often, she doesn't even try to use the product in any other way than she usually does. It's her way or it's crap. Well, no. There are a variety of eyeshadows, and you just don't use them the same way to get the best results. Some look best when used wet or over a cream base. Some need to be dabbed onto the skin and not applied by swiping the color, some look better over another color, etc... Some are sheer; that doesn't mean they're poor quality; they're just designed that way (just like lipstick, really).
If you look at her review, the colors in Marie Galante are too sheer to achieve a nice intensity. But other reviews, swatches and looks prove otherwise. At least with Marie Galante, you can use it dry for a sheer softer look, and use it wet (I imagine) or over a dark base for an intense night look. It's a versatile product.

I do agree with her on her review of the soft touch shadow pencils. And in that case, she tried (even though she could have tried applying it in a thin layer). But what doesn't work for one (or most in that case :p ) doesn't mean it's unusable. My sister can use soft touch shadow pencils because she has "magical" eyelids: she can wear anything, any texture, without a base, and it would look amazing, stay on all day with no creasing. Therefore Christine's opinions shouldn't be held as an absolute truth (and they often are, just based on the comments on her website). I know it sounds obvious said like that, but I'm sure some didn't even bother to check out a product in person even though they could just because it got a bad review on Temptalia.

Btw, Never Say Never looks amazing on Liz on Cafe Makeup. I can't wait for the review. And applying Buenos Aires on top is a good idea. :)

Rinstar

I kind of want the trio now.... LOL. I didn't want it at all, I wanted MG, but now I am starting to like the trio more. I have so many purples, I don't think I need any more for now.

Aquamarine1543

I kind of want the trio now.... LOL. I didn't want it at all, I wanted MG, but now I am starting to like the trio more. I have so many purples, I don't think I need any more for now.

lol...so do I. I also have lots of purple and blues. (but I'll get the duo in any way.lol)
but the problem is, even if peach/apricot shade doesn't go with me esp. the third shade of the trio which is pretty orange, I don't know why but I'm still attracted to the trio.:S

Dominique33

It's most surprising. " Marie-Galante " is a very pretty duo, I don't understand Temptalia's revieuw. D no way, to me it would be B+ ( without a primer ). Colours look more intense than they really are but on the whole it's very good. Maybe there was a problem with that duo Temptalia received ? Mine is ok, I agree with the fact that shadows are pretty sheer, beautiful though.

sss215

With that said I'm still buying the duo!

She isweang the duo with the Liberte blush and it looks so pretty on her. I am not woried about the creasing cause i have to work ALL shadows. My lids are so oily. i can't wait to get to Sephora and check this out!

califabulous

for some reason I have been really wanting that Doucers de Paris (pleasures of Paris) palette! Anyone know anything about this palette? I think I am going to order it if I get the Liberte blush. I know it is different from exhibit a but I haven't made a definite decision yet. At least this blush is permanent so I have a little time to think about it :)

fferonica

Not sure if this has been posted.. but regardless of what Temptalia review was, looking at this look from this blog sold me on Marie Galante :D

http://www.makeupzone.net/nars-mariegalante-look/

Shadowy Lady

So I posted here last night and somehow my post has vanished! Anyway, I'm still wanting Marie-Galante duo. One bad review is not gonna phase me. Here's my wishlist:

- Marie-Galante duo
- Liberte Blush - anyone with cool undertones and light skin tried this? It looks pretty orange on T and I'm cooler than her so I'm worried it may not work
- The yellow nail polish from Takhoon - if it suits me of course...anyone seen these polishes in Canada?
- Trouveille nail polish
- the matte velvet pencil

Miss QQ - I only have two of Nars Pure matte lipsticks, Mascate (deep neutral red) and Montego Bay (light peach) and both are beautiful, have great texture and are wearable colours to me. I have more of their matte velvet pencils but I just find those so easy to apply. I'm on my second Sex Machine and Damned.

Miss QQ

^^ thanks! I have Sex Machine, love the colour but I apply gloss over it because it is dry for me. Montego Bay looks pretty on NARS website, but I think I'll start with one pure matte first, so it's likely to be Moscow. I want to see Liberte on a fair, cool toned skin too. Monsy - Great swatch! BA looks lovely. I've never tried the gloss pencil before because I haven't read up on their reviews.

Latest posts