Skinny Jeans--Yay or nay?

metal_romantic

Once upon a time, they weren't fashionable. I'm a huge Metallica fan and they rocked the skinnies in the 80's (also Megadeth, amongst many others) and so I thought I'd get a pair as an homage to 80's thrash metal... I tried every shop in my city and finally found one pair (ONE! in grey) that cost a fortune (and no longer fit.... *sigh*) 2 WEEKS LATER, they were everywhere! I was so annoyed! I was glad to be able to buy a trillion after that easily, but still.... it was MY thing, lol. It annoyed me to see so many girls wearing skinny jeans and beat-up ballet flats.... ew... not cute...

MaskedBeauty

They're alright. Sometimes I like wearing them. I have 3 pairs. I personally don't like the ones that are super skinny and really tight around the ankles though. I like the ones that are loose at the ankle.

Iffath

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrattan
Seeing as all the clothing companies are jumping on the skinny jean bandwagon, what do ya'll Specktra-ites think of them?

For thick waists and hips, and thin calves which makes it the "denim legging" look: Nay Nay Nay!!!!

For the skinny jeans that have uniform thigh and pant leg: Yay!!!!

astarael7

love them, i wear skinnies pretty much everyday. it just sucks being short so by the time i hem my skinnies or turn them up they're pretty much bootcut style
ssad.gif
and taking them in is a pain. although mango makes good length pants for shorter legs.

nettiepoo

Dont like em. Im a boot or flare leg kinda person, skinny jeans looks awful on me cuz i have some curves...and proud of it !! Ha ! 2 each is own I guess.

Cupid

I dislike em' but have a pair only due to the fact that they work well with boots. Aside from that you'll never see me in the ankle huggers. Some girls pull them off well though.

mahonereh

At first I didn't think they would look good on me since I have wide hips. I decided to try a pair on just to see, and they actually looked okay on me, lol. I like to wear them with flats. Unfortunately I can't pull off the skinnies w/ heels look.
ssad.gif

widdershins

I loooove skinnies!
I don't even own any other cuts of jeans--but then I'm into the punk/retro/psychobilly-esque look. I'm definitely not the skinniest girl either, but I feel like they balance out my body pretty well. I always wear really dark wash or black.
I like the ones that have a lot of stretch to them that you can just pull on.

hello_kitty

I was always a "hater" of them (and still are one honestly)... but I bought myself my first pair today *blush* I'm thin, but have wide hips and rounded butt... so I'm still undecided on how I like them. I love how my legs look in them, especially with heels! Definitely wouldn't be for every day wear, I'll probably just wear these when I go out.

I told all my guy friends they'd have to see me in them and give me the verdict, haha. We'll see how that goes... luckily, I picked up a pair for $5 on clearance at JCPenny's, so I won't be out a ton of money if I decide they're not for me.

f a m o u s

oh gosh i haaaate them on everyone even the skinny girls, because they look waaay too skinny. and omg they are so uncomfortable:!

teeezyy

during fall and winter im always wearing skinny jeans because i wear boots all the time. to me, they work perfect with boots because you dont have all that excess jeans hanging out or folded over. when occassionally wear flats and i feel that skinny jeans work best with those too. other than that, i wear boot cut jeans!

Nicala

I like skinny jeans that don't feel completely tight on me. I'm not exactly a skinny person - size 14 pants with a big butt and I think it flatters my body. I love the old navy the diva skinny jeans. They aren't too tight nor too loose.

hello_kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubletta
I like skinny jeans that don't feel completely tight on me. I'm not exactly a skinny person - size 14 pants with a big butt and I think it flatters my body. I love the old navy the diva skinny jeans. They aren't too tight nor too loose.

Ooo, didn't even think of checking Old Navy's selection! I'll have to keep that in mind.

I'm kind of scared by all the people saying they're uncomfortable... exactly how tight are you buying them? LOL... Mine don't feel uncomfortable, but aren't loose either.

blackeneddove

^ Perhaps they're buying jeans with no stretch at all? All of my skinny jeans have a little bit of stretch in them, and they are super comfy. Skiny jeans with no stretch = wayyy too tight when you sit down and not comfy. Sometimes I thrift for regular jeans (with a hint of stretch, of course) and take them in myself with a sewing machine, it's much cheaper. If any of you ladies who are fans of this style of jean and are decent with a sewing machine, it's something to think about
smiles.gif

And I personally love skinny jeans, they are the only type of jeans I wear, and I think most people can pull them off, regardless of height/weight, of course they look flattering on some people more than others though. I'm 5'8 and at my height I definately think these jeans flatter my body shape the best. Just a matter of preference though!

Nicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_kitty
Ooo, didn't even think of checking Old Navy's selection! I'll have to keep that in mind.

I'm kind of scared by all the people saying they're uncomfortable... exactly how tight are you buying them? LOL... Mine don't feel uncomfortable, but aren't loose either.

They're a bit stretchy. Also, during the day, the jeans start to loosen up a bit which feels nice. :p I'm usually size 14 in any pants - but on my I've noticed the grey wash is a bit tighter than the jean skinnies. As I said, they end up loosening up after walking around 'em for a bit.

jess126xo

i have an hourglass shape (im latina) and skinny jeans look great on me they actually show your curves nicely .. i prefer them with long shirts tho b/c i dont feel too comfortable showing my butt lol .. soo yay for me