2008 Presidential Candidates Comparison ( Side By side)... DOn't know what to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkylarV217

Okay I'm really confused, I've been watching debates visiting both party's sites and reading plans .... But i seem to be getting mixed signals. I like parts of Both candidates plans, but was really surprised at the following Information I received in an e-mail ... Tell me what you think.... I feel like I'm so lost with what they say and what they do .......

2008 PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE COMPARISON TALKING POINTS

ISSUE JOHN McCAIN BARAK OBAMA

Favors new drilling offshore US Yes No

judges who interpret the law not make it Yes No

Served in the US Armed Forces Yes No

Amount of time served in the US Senate 22 YEARS 173 DAYS

institute socialized national health care plan No Yes

Supports abortion throughout the pregnancy No Yes

Would pull troops out of Iraq immediately No Yes

Supports gun ownership rights Yes No

Supports homosexual marriage No Yes

Proposed programs huge tax increase No Yes

For making English the official language Yes No

CAPITAL GAINS TAX

MCCAIN

0% on home sales up to $500,000 per home (couples). McCain does not propose any change in existing home sales income tax.

OBAMA

28% on profit from ALL home sales. (How does this affect you? If you sell your home and make a profit, you will pay 28% of your gain on taxes.)
DIVIDEND TAX

MCCAIN

15% (no change)

OBAMA

39.6% - (How will this affect you? If you have any money invested in stock market, IRA, mutual funds, college funds, life insurance, retirement accounts, or anything that pays or reinvests dividends, you will now be paying nearly 40% of the money earned on taxes if Obama becomes president. The experts predict that 'Higher tax rates on dividends and capital gains would crash the stock market, yet do absolutely nothing to cut the deficit.')

INCOME TAX

MCCAIN
(no changes)

Single making 30K - tax $4,500
Single making 50K - tax $12,500
Single making 75K - tax $18,750
Married making 60K- tax $9,000
Married making 75K - tax $18,750
Married making 125K - tax $31,250

OBAMA (reversion to pre-Bush tax cuts)

Single making 30K - tax $8,400
Single making 50K - tax $14,000
Single making 75K - tax $23,250
Married making 60K - tax $16,800
Married making 75K - tax $21,000
Married making 125K - tax $38,750

INHERITANCE TAX

MCCAIN

- 0% (No change, Bush repealed this tax)

OBAMA

Restore the inheritance tax
Many families have lost businesses, farms, ranches, and homes that have been in their families for generations because they could not afford the inheritance tax. Those willing their assets to loved ones will only lose them to these taxes.

NEW TAXES PROPOSED BY OBAMA

New government taxes proposed on homes that are more than 2400 square feet. New gasoline taxes (as if gas weren't high enough already) New taxes on natural resources consumption (heating gas, water, electricity) New taxes on retirement accounts, and last but not least....New taxes to pay for socialized medicine so we can receive the same level of medical care as other third-world countries!!!

You can verify the above at the following web sites:

Election 2008: The candidates and your money - CNNMoney
Taxes: Election Center 2008 - CNN.com

Palin VP Pick Brings Ethical Complications - America’s Election HQ
McCain, Obama Offer Different Visions on Taxes

Fact Checker Archive by Category
Fact Checker Archive by Category

SkylarV217

I'm disappointed the Educational reform information wasn't listed. Thats big for me b/c Thats the field I plan to enter... But I already know where the candidates stand in the area, I just think it should have been included ....=/

Brittni

With all that ridiculous tax info on Obama, it almost makes me want to vote McCain. I know we won't get much "CHANGE" but I'd rather have no change for four years then a complete disruption and expense. lol

Is this tax money gonna go towards the Social Security that's not even going to be there for me when it's my time? pft

rbella

I've got problems with both. What to do, what to do? But, I definitely don't like people jackin' with my money. However, I also don't like people jackin' with my rights as a woman with regard to abortion. This kinda sucks.

BeautyPsycho

I so know what to think
smiles.gif

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbella
I've got problems with both. What to do, what to do? But, I definitely don't like people jackin' with my money. However, I also don't like people jackin' with my rights as a woman with regard to abortion. This kinda sucks.

For real.
Then again, my position is somewhat mitigated because I'll not be using my baby maker for anything other than a temporary repository for...well. You get the idea. I'm not having anymore babies.

What do y'all think about McCain having a female VP candidate?

purrtykitty

Smaarrrrt move on his part. A conservative and female - two things his campaign desperately needed to compete.

For me, I'm worried about my rights, but I worry even more about being taxed through the nose and having my tax dollars squandered away. I despise paying for inefficient social programs.

Shimmer

I understand the need for taxes and all of that. I do get it, but at the same time, having to be taxed out the wazoo because of (as you said) inefficient social programs that do little more than bandaid a problem? No way.

tabou82

I really hate when people post things of this nature in forums that are not political! Although everyone is free to make their own decisions on whichever candidate they support and why, I think postings of this nature are definitely skewed! From the data that was posted, it appears that this post is skewed in favor of McCain. And that's fine, if the goal of this post is to support McCain but by the data that was posted, this "portrait" of the candidates proposed agendas on tax reform are not objective! Anyway, I just hope that people do not rely on posts such as this to inform them of each cadidates policies but rather base their decisions on their investigations. That being said, I feel that it would have been more appropiate to post the links and invite Specktra members to visit those links and intelligently analyze each candidate's position on various issues.

Peace!

SkylarV217

I don't think Abortion will get overturned even with MCain in office ... There are enough pro choicers in congress... I could be wrong , but I don't think it will be overturned in my lifetime.

purrtykitty

It's not skewed if those facts are accurate. All she did was post the info so people wouldn't have to click through all those links to being a discussion. Everyone here is free to do as much or as little research as they wish. It would be a completely different story if the data she posted wasn't accurate.

PMBG83

The mccain views on women reproductive rights makes me so mad I wanna spit! Dont decide what Ill do with my own body...point... blank... period!

blazeno.8

I'm not sure about all of this information. From what I've heard about Barack he's not for same sex marriages, but he does support civil unions. Other than that, when I look at a candidate, I want to look at that person as a person in addition to the issues. I find that Obama has more personal traits as a leader such as: Willingness to admit to flaws which I haven't heard from McCain yet. I have also seen more of a uniting factor in Obama's message than in McCain's which is something I also look for in a leader: ability to look past our differences and focus on what unites us.

miss_cinday

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabou82
I really hate when people post things of this nature in forums that are not political! Although everyone is free to make their own decisions on whichever candidate they support and why, I think postings of this nature are definitely skewed! From the data that was posted, it appears that this post is skewed in favor of McCain. And that's fine, if the goal of this post is to support McCain but by the data that was posted, this "portrait" of the candidates proposed agendas on tax reform are not objective! Anyway, I just hope that people do not rely on posts such as this to inform them of each cadidates policies but rather base their decisions on their investigations. That being said, I feel that it would have been more appropiate to post the links and invite Specktra members to visit those links and intelligently analyze each candidate's position on various issues.

Peace!

I completely agree! Obviously the email is an email in support of McCain. The data is skewed in the way that only certain data is mentioned and not all. You can't just look at the something thats given to you and take it for face value, research it yourself, and then make your own educated decision.

Obama def. is not my ideal candidate but then again McCain is far from it.

PuterChick

McCain has said that he would keep our men and women over in Iraq for 100 years if need be....... That is a scary thought!!
thmbdn.gif

rbella

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_cinday
Obama def. is not my ideal candidate but then again McCain is far from it.

I agree with this. I'm actually quite sad about this election year. I don't know who I am going to vote for and to be honest, I don't really even know if I want to vote for either.

Just for reference, I've done my own individual research, my views are not based on this post.

Even so, I agree with you Skylar. I am confused as well.

SkylarV217

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbella
I agree with this. I'm actually quite sad about this election year. I don't know who I am going to vote for and to be honest, I don't really even know if I want to vote for either.

Just for reference, I've done my own individual research, my views are not based on this post.

Even so, I agree with you Skylar. I am confused as well.

I'm about 1/2 way through with Obabma's Blueprint for change .... I'm so confused it looks like people( In both camps) are lying though their teeth and flip flopping and I have no clue how to feel about either candidate.

I don't know what to think .... but i def can't afford higher taxes
ssad.gif

concertina

I may not be thrilled with Obama, but McCain and his anti-choice VP will *NEVER* get my vote.

It is pretty fucking cut and dry for me. Personal freedoms > *perceived* tax hikes any. day. of. the. week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts