Are you often accused of "dressing up?"

cno64

Ever since I was a teen, I've fairly often had people say things to me like, "You're all dressed up!" even when I was just wearing jeans and a nice top.
And whenever my mother and I would be getting ready to go someplace such as a family gathering, and I'd wonder aloud what to wear, she'd immediately say, "Don't get all dressed up; just wear something comfortable!"
And my sister often complained to our mother that she didn't like to go places with me because I was "always dressed up."
As I explained earlier, it wasn't as if I were wearing a cocktail dress and diamonds to a football game; I'd wear jeans or cords, a nice casual top and yeah, coordinating shoes and makeup.
I *was* comfortable, though!
Has anyone else had the same sort of experience?

enjoybeingagirl

All the time ... I just feel more comfortable being pulled together. I feel like a slob if I'm wearing my pajamas in public.

RedRibbon

I always get told the opposite, i.e. that I'm dressing down.

It's quite disheartening at times when people think you've dressed down when you've actually made an effort, my usual home attire is just a tshirt and jeans so when I go to visit family I actually put some makeup on and wear smarter clothes.

I don't see the point of getting OTT dressed up when it's just a family thing and you're just going to visit them for no reason. I dress up when needs be but even then people have to point out that I could make more of an effort.

I don't know how to say this bit witout seeming conceited but I will try, I have cousins who are older than me and really go ALL OUT getting dressed up for the smallest of things (they always have), they look like they're going out clubbing when it's only a family get together and they get praised for looking so good and "doing what it takes to get a man to pay you some attention". They are all single, I don't make half the effort they make and I'm married?

Shimmer

It totally depends. I like to come to work looking presentable. Sometimes that's more than most women want to put into gym attire. *shrug* I climb and pole dance in full makeup. Sometimes my hair is done, sometimes not.

L1LMAMAJ

Yea people say that to me when I wear more makeup than usual (e.g. darker colors). They're like, "You're all dressed up!" or "You have sooo much makeup on!!" Sometimes the tone they use is not very polite. Or at least I feel like they're "judging" me. Whatever though. I "dress up" for me (and my boyfriend, haha).

pumpkincat210

Yeah, my mom accuses me of this. She often asks where I'm going and how my clothes would work better in some sort of fashion job. Umm, I buy my clothes at Ross, often paying less than 8 dollars a shirt, especially since the recession. I just dig and be creative..i'm in there for awhile, but you come across winners. My mom says I try too hard, but really I don't, it's just my personal style, i'm not trying to impress anyone but myself 95% of the time! I get ideas from magazines and pictures and while i can't afford versace, I try to take care of what i do have and buy basics that can be worn in a number of ways.

I don't wear cocktail dresses and diamonds to football games either, but I pick out the clothes that best flatter my body and colors that work with my skin. My sister does the same freaking thing as yours too! I've offered to help her find the best outfits based on her body type as their are tons of resources on the net for this but she just refuses. I never insulted her, but wearing an oversized t shirt and jeans everywhere is not appropriate and she knows this because she often complains that she doesn't have any clothes.
My friend was with me the other day and I suggested a really cute top, telling her it was conservative yet memorable and not drab, perfect for the interview she was going for, my friend loved it but unfortunately it was in the wrong size section and too big for her. This other lady was seriously invading our space and you could tell she was listening to our conversation,and literally as soon as i put the shirt down she snatched it up after hearing my thoughts on it and ran to the dressing room. I hope it worked out for her lol.

Oh, and it has been said numerous times..." it is better to be overdressed than underdressed!!"

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
It totally depends. I like to come to work looking presentable. Sometimes that's more than most women want to put into gym attire. *shrug* I climb and pole dance in full makeup. Sometimes my hair is done, sometimes not.

Do you have a portable pole? i'm interested in them.. not only for sex reasons, but they work muscles you didn't know you had.. its like 2 for the price of 1!

iadoremac

I get accused all the time but i really dont care. I think if i am to go shopping for clothes why not buy the best of what the store has to offer hence i do not own anything simple or comfortable and i like it that way.

Lambchop

Yep. Everyday. I don't wear pants. I am just so much more comfortable in a dress or skirt and cute top so I get told I'm dressed up all the time. I'm pretty sure that's why all of the other moms at my son's preschool give me mean looks.

chocolategoddes

Lol! I have to laugh because I'm the total opposite.
Some are jeans and t-shirt kinda girls.
I'm an oversized hoodie and sweatpants kinda girl.

It's always better to be overdressed than underdressed, though. :/

OfficerJenny

Yes, like every day.

For some reason, people think cardigans are dressy o_O They can be dressed up or down and I definitely dress them down at school.

User38

All the time
greengrin.gif
.... and I love it!!

luvsic

I've gotten this before. I think it's rude when people ask if you're too dressed up if it's passive aggressively (in which it usually is), because like you said, I'm not wearing homecoming dresses to football games. And what I wear is my business and you can mind your own. I feel like if I were relocated to LA or NY, I wouldn't be considered "dressing up" at all if I wore what I wore I usually wear...but I live in a conservative state with even more conservative societal dress codes.

It's like that time when I wore fake lashes to class, and this one girl asked me why I was wearing them in front of EVERYONE..."why are you so dressed up? why are you wearing fake lashes?" I wanted to punch her in the face and say "why are you so passive aggressive? get out of my face, bitch."

But to me, THIS is not getting dressed up:

...THIS is.

(I designed all of these on polyvore :p)

But whatever...wear what you like. People sip on too much haterate. They're bound to overdose sooner or later.

Tahti

I get told it all the time, and I agree with them ;D I LOVE dressing up, putting loads of effort into my visual appearance and wearing less than normal everyday clothes.
It does make me stand out in a mostly relaxed-casual clothing crowd, but I don't mind at all ^_^

kaliraksha

I sure do. I don't really mind... I realize it probably makes some feel uncomfortable, but I see that as their issue. Sure, there are times and days that I will go wearing yoga pants and a bright shirt and flip flops everywhere I go... that's my total bum outfit. I also don't do jeans... I also agree that skirts and dresses are more comfortable and if I have to do pants I'll do something tailored in a stretchier material. My weakness are dresses which require little thought. When I wear a t-shirt and jeans it's because I planned the accessories, hair and makeup and the only outfit that it worked with was a t-shirt and jeans.

florabundance

Yeah I do...my response is always "yeah but only for you"/"only cos you're here"/"yeah i knew you'd be here". I find it to be quite a backhanded compliment. Like if you like what someone is wearing then a simple "you look nice" will do....IDK... but it gets on my nerves sometimes lol.

just.nicki

Lol, sometimes I wish. I'm pretty much the opposite.

I always look mismatched with my face when I get dressed in the morning. Ha! I'm a straight-up t-shirt and jeans kinda girl (unless it's the weekend and we're going dancing or to the bar, then I actually clean up pretty nice, lol), but I always do a full face of make-up. It's really just because I like to play with eyeshadow and colors and I just love the stuff...but then I'm wearing something like a t-shirt and nike shorts and a pair of tennis shoes. My hair is NEVER done, unless I'm going out or some special function because it is outrageously curl and required a lot of attention to look nice. I just don't have that kind of patience on a daily basis. It's usually in a loose bun with a headband or something..

Shadowy Lady

every.single.day! lol! I like to look nice though. When someone tells me I'm too dressed up with a funny tone and reproachful look, I just say: "I think you look too dressed down. Try my way, you might like it!" It usually works

NatalieMT

I also like to feel together in what I'm wearing, how my hair is, how I've done my makeup. I suppose it makes me feel more confident in myself. I don't often go out in jeans and a tshirt because that's not my style anyway. The only time I'm not made up etc is when I'm going to the gym, popping out to get groceries etc because I don't feel there is any need.

I have had people pass comment but it's not usually 'you're really dressed up' more of a 'everytime I see you, you look like a doll', I've actually overheard people in the street saying I look like a doll. I don't take offence at it but at the same time I'm not really sure how to take it.

metal_romantic

I don't know why anyone would accuse anybody of being too "dressed up" unless they were embarrassed about being too "dressed down" in comparison.

If you want to make an effort, then it's your time to spend. If that makes you feel confident and good about yourself, and makes you more productive, then that is time well spent. If the accusers put in a bit more effort to "dress up" then perhaps they could enjoy positive results too.

If they don't want to and they want to "dress down", that's their prerogative- but they should understand that another person "dressing up" is their choice.

Latest posts