Bare Escentuals (all)

Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerisier
I read some reviews on MUA, is it really that shimmery like some people complain of? I'm tempted to plunk down $60 for the kit, but I don't want a face full of shimmer :confused:

i used be for a couple of years and really liked it. it doesn't make your face shimmery from my perspective, just gives it a glow. you can get some good sample kits off of ebay if you want to try it out.

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytale22
What do you guys think an NW43/NC45 would wear in Bare Escentuals?

I am a NW35 and I use Warm Tan. You might want to try Dark. But I found that you really have to go to either a BE boutique or a Sephora or Ulta to try it. That's the only way to know for sure. There is a website www.colorfulsprinkles.com that sells samples of all foundations, blushes, eyeshadows, etc. You can always try that. I have purchased plenty of samples from her and she is awesome. It's a good way to try it without spending $25 on the full container.

fairytale22

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
I am a NW35 and I use Warm Tan. You might want to try Dark. But I found that you really have to go to either a BE boutique or a Sephora or Ulta to try it. That's the only way to know for sure. There is a website www.colorfulsprinkles.com that sells samples of all foundations, blushes, eyeshadows, etc. You can always try that. I have purchased plenty of samples from her and she is awesome. It's a good way to try it without spending $25 on the full container.

Ooo thanks for that. I ordered Tan, Medium Tan, and Dark off eBay in samples so yeah...hopefully I get the right match out of one of them! ;D

aziajs

Quote:
I read some reviews on MUA, is it really that shimmery like some people complain of? I'm tempted to plunk down $60 for the kit, but I don't want a face full of shimmer :confused:

I have read those things as well. I can say that the darker shades - Medium Tan, Tan, Warm Tan, Dark, etc. have less of the Mica or whatever it is that makes them shimmer. BUT, alot of times I have heard people say that they just tried the foundation. To truly get the benefit if the makeup you need to wear the mineral veil with it. It neutralizes the "shimmer" and gives you more of a glow, a flawless glow. I would also say that there is a special technique that you have to use with the product and that is "buffing". You really have to buff in the product, even more so than what they say on the infomercial or QVC or the dvd. And finally, keep in mind that it will take a few tries to get it right. There is a bit of a learning curve with the product. You have to find what works best for you.

user3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace
i used be for a couple of years and really liked it. it doesn't make your face shimmery from my perspective, just gives it a glow. you can get some good sample kits off of ebay if you want to try it out.

I didn't really feel that it had that much shimmer. I think it all depends on what you consider shimmer. Those that are use to using more matte things might consider it shimmery but personally did not and I have very oily skin.

so_siqqq

I use one of the lightest shades (Fairly Light) and I don't notice a shimmer at all. I really like the BE foundation. It's the most natural looking foundation I've tried so far and it covers really well for a loose powder foundation.

FlaLadyB

Been using BE for about 2 years..and still wear it. It goes on easily, but you DO have to get the hang of it. I use the Bobbie Brown Kabuki brush (short face brush) and it makes all the difference in the world on how BE goes on. I do use MAC concealer underneath my eyes and such and this goes over it beautifully. I wont go back to liquid. This is much faster and easier and you can blend to the exact color you want instead of using only on color that may not match your skin. my 2 cents!

pale blue

Well I went ahead and ordered one of the kits from Sephora (also to get the awesome GWP/samples Sephora has going on now).

What do you gals think of the brushes? I read the Kabuki brush is scratchy. There's also a concealer brush in the kit, is BM meant to be used as a concealer too? I was a little confused by that.

lovemichelle

you can use the foundation as a concealer too, but the bisque, summer bisque and honey bisque are the offical concealers.

i also dont think the kabuki is scratchy. mine is very soft.

Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemichelle
I just looked at the Aromaleigh website. How are there blushes and stuff? I will stick to BE foundation, but I love blush and would try Aromaleigh's.

I love their AL Verve blush. It is one of my favorites.
luminouscomparison.jpg

Susan

Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs

Corina at Colorful Sprinkles is great. Use code SHIPBE on her website or through her e-mail (not eBay) and get free shipping.

Susan

Quote:

The glow of BE is from the bismuth oxychloride. There are many other mineral companies that have a more matte finish if you prefer that. I need more coverage than BE gives and didn't like the glow of BE, so I prefer foundations from the mineral companies I posted links for above. I would never go back to a liquid after trying and loving BE and other mineral foundations though. Try samples first so your investment is low. www.colorfulspinkles.com The Cat Cosmetics Kabuki or Bobbi Brown Kabuki (Face Brush) are two *great* brushes to use to apply mineral foundation. I didn't like mineral foundation until I got a proper brush, as a regular powder brush isn't going to give you very much coverage.

pale blue

Okay two more questions, has anyone slept in this foundation?

Also do you get that furry face from using it like with other powder foundations? I sort of get it when I used my Studio Fix.

I know some others have said it takes a bit of practice, I feel like I'll be swirling, tapping, buffing for like an hour the first time I use it lol

pale blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan
The Cat Cosmetics Kabuki or Bobbi Brown Kabuki (Face Brush) are two *great* brushes to use to apply mineral foundation. I didn't like mineral foundation until I got a proper brush, as a regular powder brush isn't going to give you very much coverage.

I just bought the Bobbi Brown #5 Powder brush 6 months ago and I love it to bits! However, I don't think it would be good for mineral makeup since I use it to dust on loose powder and the bristles aren't stiff. I hope I like BE kabuki that comes in the kit.

Jaim

Quote:
Okay two more questions, has anyone slept in this foundation?

Also do you get that furry face from using it like with other powder foundations? I sort of get it when I used my Studio Fix.

I know some others have said it takes a bit of practice, I feel like I'll be swirling, tapping, buffing for like an hour the first time I use it lol

I've slept in it with no problems. It's cleared up my skin a lot.
smiles.gif

I get what you mean by "furry face" I think, I don't find that it happens. I guess it kind of feels like it settles into my skin pretty well and feels very smooth actually!

I also really like the baby kabuki brush.

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB
Been using BE for about 2 years..and still wear it. It goes on easily, but you DO have to get the hang of it. I use the Bobbie Brown Kabuki brush (short face brush) and it makes all the difference in the world on how BE goes on. I do use MAC concealer underneath my eyes and such and this goes over it beautifully. I wont go back to liquid. This is much faster and easier and you can blend to the exact color you want instead of using only on color that may not match your skin. my 2 cents!

I use the Bobbi Brown brush and MAC concealer too! Kindred Spirits! LOL!!! And I totally agree, the foundation goes over it beautifully and the brush blends it all together really well. I lucked out and found a perfect match in Warm Tan but you do have the ability to custom blend your own and that is a plus.

pale blue

Well I got the kit a few days ago, and I absolutely LOVE Bare Minerals! It provides enough coverage that I need, and no furry face!
rofl.gif
It also manages to cover up my broken caps by my nose (and last almost all day), which nothing has been able to do until I tried BM.

I do have to admit one thing, I'm not that nuts about the brushes. They felt very scratchy to me and they shedded EVERYWHERE. So the time I saved by using BM instead of a liquid foundation was wasted by cleaning up all the hairs in the sink. I think I'll have to invest in BB's brush like others have used. I do like the concealer brush though, I think it's the best in the kit!

Thanks for answering all my inane questions, I'm so glad I've discovered this now
lol.gif

user3

My UPDATE on wearing BE.
Well it has only been a few days but I have to say that it is a bit more shimmery than I had recalled. I just put powder over it and all is fine. I have not had any itches or breakouts that I had a few years back. I think I was playing the blame game and really back then BE was not the reason I was breaking out. At the time I was not really doing anything to control or prevent my acne. I thought it would just go away on it's own since I was in 20's. I was wrong!
I am happy that I went back to BE. I really like Aromaleigh but it just didn't give me that "glow" look I wanted. AL is great if want a very matte look. BE does cost more but compared to how much I use I think it will last longer.
Overall, I am thrilled to be back using BE and I can't think BE lovers enough for telling me to give it another try.

aziajs

How do MAC pigments compare to Bare Escentuals eyeshadow. For instance, there is a White Gold pigment and there is a White Gold glimmer eyeshadow. Are the finishes similar? What about application? And how do they wear?