Ben Nye Makeup

aeni

Re: Ben Nye

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseMe
Why don't you like their cream foundation? I have one and the coverage, color matching and texture all all GREAT!

Smell and also their coloring for clients (seems like they're all a little too yellow, even the pinks). I find Cinema Secrets to be better in these 2 areas, and Bob Kelly the best I've encountered thus far. Granted, I don't have the budget to buy Visiora - really want to try it some day.

Ethel

I love the lumiere luxe powders in cosmic blue, cosmic violet, and azalea. Final Seal is the greatest gift to women who are sick of raccoon eyes.

The foundations made me breakout badly.

msmack

Ohh I am mega curious about this line! I called all around to find a place in town that sells it but no luck. I would be interested to hear more of what products you guys like/don't!

ArsenicKiss

I think their pressed and loose shadow powders are pretty fantastic. I have their one luxe shadow palette and while I'm not crazy about the brush, it's probably one of the best palettes I own.

VioletB

I just have to say....

I AM IN LOVE!!

I called a costume shop yesterday to find out about some products I want for Halloween. (I was looking for something similar to MAC chromacakes, because unfortunately, there is no pro store in Utah) When they told me they sold Ben Nye I was super excited because I've heard good things! I found what I was looking for and also bought a couple of extra shadows. Ben Nye's Azalea makes MAC's Romping look weak!! Another good thing is they come in a very large pot (a .09 oz. pot compared to MAC's .05 oz. A teeny bit smaller than a MAC blush or about the size of a Mineralize e/s.) Anyway. I just have to say. The color payoff is awesome, the colors are awesome and the price is awesome! I paid like nine bucks each for the Lumeiere shadows and six bucks each for the pressed shadows. Hell yeah! The one thing that disappoints me is they don't have a huge selections.. probably like 40-50 shades.. but that's ok!! Anyway, sorry I ramble.
smiles.gif

amoona

Ben Nye Make-up - where to find it?

Ok I did a search and I couldn't find the answer but if I'm an idiot and just missed it please let me know. I've been wanting to check out Ben Nye make-up forever now and I figured I'd come across it but I realized that I never have. Where can I purchase their products? I'd perfer to buy their stuff in a store where I can see the stuff.

astronaut

Re: Ben Nye Make-up - where to find it?

You live in San Francisco right? I wouldn't imagine it being too difficult to find Ben Nye in the city. I don't know for sure, but I'd just imagine. There's a whole Kryolen (sp?) store there too I believe?

amoona

Yea there's a Kryloan store here but I've never seen a Ben Nye store. I have to try and find a theater store.

liv

I've seen it at Costume shops before. Never the full line, though.

amoona

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjoycex
Amazon
smiles.gif

Yea I know I can easily buy it online through their own website but I hate buying cosmetics online. I rather see it in person. Thanks anyway. I'm going to try and find a costume/theater store.

astronaut

If you google "Ben Nye san francisco", you can find stores in the Bay Area that carry it.

theatre supply loc: San Francisco, CA - Google Maps

There seem to be a lot of promising finds if you search theatre supply or costume supply. You'll probably need to call to confirm if they carry any Ben Nye makeup. I managed to find a theatre shop that carries Ben Nye in San Diego through google search, so I'm confident that one can be found in San Francisco as well.

lcristina

If you're worried about what the product will look like in person, you can try finding a youtube review. They will give you lovely swatches of the colors you like. In fact, I found this review to be extremely helpful to me.
smiles.gif

YouTube - Ben Nye Grand Colour Palette Review

I think she does a great job at showing off the colors. ^^

ewlialovesme

Lots and lots of love for Ben Nye makeup

Disclaimer: Not affiliated, and neither am I a professional makeup artist.

About 10 years ago, I read about Ben Nye's Fireworks wheel in an issue of Elle, where MUA Charlie Green talked about using the wheel for fashion week shows etc. I immediately went to Screenface in London, got myself one of those wheels, as well as their concealer wheel (6 colours in one). I used them everyday for 2 years.

For some reason I went back to Screenface again yesterday, and repurchased the concealer wheel and the cream rouge wheel. OMG. First of all, here in the UK, Ben Nye isn't cheap. I paid like £25.50 for the concealer wheel, but given that 2 weeks ago, I also bought Becca's compact concealer for £30, this was a BARGAIN. There are 6 shades, and you get 28g of product. Becca's compact has 1 shade in 2 formulas, and you get a whopping.....3g of product.

Let me just say that I will be getting rid of the Becca, as well as any other supposedly "full coverage" concealers like MUFE Full Coverage, MAC Studio Finish, and will be using BN exclusively. I can't believe how pigmented the concealer is. It covers everything WITH ONE DAB. I hate how I have to layer and layer my MAC, MUFE and Becca concealers and still they don't cover my discolourations and minor scars. I can use a brush to gently pat the BN on, or use a finger to just lightly touch the area I want to cover and VOILA, scar/discolouration is GONE. I am so crazy about this product I went to order the other colour selection in SK 100 (The one I have now is SK 200 for fairest skin).

Now for the cream rouge wheel. 10 years ago, this product did not exist, so I'm thinking it's a relatively recent invention. The colours look really bright in the pot: crimson, light fuschia, coral, rose pink, neutral pink, and rose-coral. But I can't believe how easy it is to use, either. You only need a bit, given how pigmented they are. But they are ridiculously easy to blend out with a brush (I use the MAC 192), compared to my MAC Blushcremes and Stila CCs. No greasy feel, and you can also use them on lips. I haven't been able to use the Stila CCs on my lips - they look like I attacked my lips with crayon. I dabbed the crimson rouge on my lips, and it works like a lip stain. You can add lip balm to soften up the look, and then for an even more natural look, you can blot your lips AFTER lip balm and the remaining stain on your lip looks lovely.

I noticed at Screenface yesterday that there is also a lip gloss wheel. I am kicking myself for not getting that. There were testers. I played, and was stunned at how soft and gel-like they were, but yet so pigmented. I expected something harder and frostier, since BN is all stage-makeup like. But I was pleasantly surprised. I think I will go back and get the lip gloss wheel as well.

Has anyone else used the concealer and cream rouge wheels? What was your experience with these products? What other great things from Ben Nye have you discovered?

Re: Lots and lots of love for Ben Nye makeup

I love Ben Nye. I learned about it while taking my clasess for my makeup for my make artistry license. That is what I use on my clients and myself. The prices are right. I usually used the foundations, concealers, eye shadows and the blush (powder) oh and the lipstick.
yahoo.gif

Pimpinett

Re: Lots and lots of love for Ben Nye makeup

How does the concealer hold up over the day? I'm in the market for a concealer, my Secret Camouflage is running out and I can't spend the Laura Mercier kind of money on make-up right now.