Blush: The Search for America's Greatest Makeup Artist

hhunt2

I watched it last night and I was kind of dissapointed.

There's all these reality tv shows about fashion, interior design, hair, etc. then Blush comes along. It seems to all copy eachother.

chocolategoddes

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiosila
They should have open auditions for the talent here!

Seriously. Imagine if someone like snowkei was on the show? The competition would be over in 5 minutes.
specktra_rocks.gif

coachkitten

I am really suprised how many of the artist didn't think outside of the box with the theme Twisted Disco. I would have gone crazy with the glitter.
smiles.gif

xxsgtigressxx

You know what I think we should do?? I think we should all (after watching the show) do an FOTD challenge for whatever the contestants were asked to do...so for example this week was twisted disco, then we all do like a challenge where we do twisted disco, ya know? I think it would be funsies anyways.
smiles.gif

CaveB

Am I the only one who was seriously bothered by the amount of ADR* in this show??? It drove me freaking insane! Either do another take and have them say their lines properly or at least attempt to make it sound like a live shot! ARGHH! Of course I'm totally going to end up watching it every single week, no matter how much it disgusts me! Just like Top Model and Wife Swap...damn this reality tv trend that just won't die!

*Automated dialogue replacement or Additional dialogue recording (ADR) is a film sound technique involving the re-recording of dialogue after photography, also known as "looping" or a looping session.[1] In the UK it is called post-synchronisation or post-sync. (Just in case)

banjobama

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveB

*Automated dialogue replacement or Additional dialogue recording (ADR) is a film sound technique involving the re-recording of dialogue after photography, also known as "looping" or a looping session.[1] In the UK it is called post-synchronisation or post-sync. (Just in case)

I am confused about what this is... is it like dubbing over the voices?

MAC_Whore

Interesting concept. I am hoping the show picks up a bit in the subsequent episodes. It could be a bit, I dunno, jazzier? More exciting?

One word for Maxi: WhatTheFuck? What a load of issues. If I had a station next to him, I would probably smack him with a bag of mascaras (since hammers are scarce in makeup studios) within 2.5 seconds. That attitude of his will ensure he does not have anything near a successful career.

BTW, Maxi, masks are best worn for:

1. Marie Antoinette at a masked ball
2. Carnival in Venice
3. Mardi Gras in NO
4. Robbing banks
5. Lucha Libre

Masks are not good for:

1. Blush, the series

Anywhoooo.....

She is very talented, but am I the only one who thinks Charlie Green sounds stoned all of the time? lol

While I agree that a lot of Specktra members do work that is superior to some of those looks on the show, there is one thing that we are forgetting to factor in. When we do a FOTD, we have all the time in the world to think about it, execute it and tweak it. It is another thing all together to be given a look and a time limit. Then heap on the added pressure of the competition and nerves from TV. That is a lot of pressure for the contestant makeup artists.

Granted a makeup artist is always having to create, and pros are often expected to whip this stuff up at a moments notice, but this is the first foray into that realm for a lot of them. I have seen some amazingly talented guys and girls who are counter MAs that turn to mush when they are given a challenge.

I can't wait to see how the show progresses.

carandru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsgtigressxx
You know what I think we should do?? I think we should all (after watching the show) do an FOTD challenge for whatever the contestants were asked to do...so for example this week was twisted disco, then we all do like a challenge where we do twisted disco, ya know? I think it would be funsies anyways.
smiles.gif

GREAT IDEA
clap.gif
I am so in!

krissy90220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciara
Here's my thoughts on the new show...

Is it the Next Best Reality Show ... NO
Is it going to be on the air long ... Highly Doubt It.

I personally dont think its going to appeal to the General Public ... probably only other Make-Up Artist and Make-Up Enthusiasts and maybe some others.

I do hope this show is successful though ... it probably would've been better off on another channel like E!, Bravo, or Style.

My thoughts exactly.... :::turning the tv off lol:::

CaveB

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama
I am confused about what this is... is it like dubbing over the voices?

More like, the person ends there sentence...then their recorded voice is dubbed in with more audio. One major one I noticed was when the host didn't explain a rule completely. They dubbed in another sentence explaining how it works, and it was so broken and terrible I had to rewind it a few times.

I'm weird about things like this, former Theatre kid and major Film dork!

chocolategoddes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerJenny
Did anyone else notice that the pink haired girl looks exactly like Debra Messing?

totally.

the girl who didn't know disco kinda-sorta looked like Angelina Jolie

HeatherAnn

I did not think the skill for these "professional" make up artists was quite up to par. i've seen much better from ametuers right here on specktra FOTD's!

hhunt2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachkitten
I am really suprised how many of the artist didn't think outside of the box with the theme Twisted Disco. I would have gone crazy with the glitter.
smiles.gif

I was sooo pissed about their personal artistic "abilities".

Plus it was for a music video.... so go all out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
One word for Maxi: WhatTheFuck? What a load of issues. If I had a station next to him, I would probably smack him with a bag of mascaras (since hammers are scarce in makeup studios) within 2.5 seconds. That attitude of his will ensure he does not have anything near a successful career.

My husband was laughing so hard at Maxi-- what a weirdo!

"I've worked on so many music videos with famous rap artists". blah, blah.

What an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAnn
I did not think the skill for these "professional" make up artists was quite up to par. i've seen much better from ametuers right here on specktra FOTD's!

Yup, Yup. The blonde who was eliminated reminded me of a typical Southern/Mid States mom who doesn't let their daughters wear makeup (I can imagin her say, "Hunny, you can only wear neutral colors and lip balm. Or Jesus will send you to Hell with all the sinners".

I wonder where the producers got these artists. And why Max Factor... I love Carmen Electra (model for MF), but I was never impressed with their items.

Rennah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveB
Am I the only one who was seriously bothered by the amount of ADR* in this show??? It drove me freaking insane! Either do another take and have them say their lines properly or at least attempt to make it sound like a live shot! ARGHH! Of course I'm totally going to end up watching it every single week, no matter how much it disgusts me! Just like Top Model and Wife Swap...damn this reality tv trend that just won't die!

I know!!! It annoyed me so much. Tyra does it all the time on ANTM.
It really sounds bad on this one though... I think I noticed it on Stylista on CW as well.

franimal

This show seems so low budget to me. Of course, I love the topic of the show, but watching it was almost unbearable. I also think the judge is too nice. There needs to be more drama, and of course more talent.

NicksWifey

I finally watched this last night! I have to say WOW, Maxi is a total nut case. His drama queen behavior is already getting on my nerves, I wish he would shut the hell up. What, he thinks he is a makeup god because he's "worked on more music videos than any other artist on the planet" and that he uses stencils? His attitude alone is enough to make me want to puke.

I also thought that the girl that got eliminated was a good choice, I didn't see what was so special about either of the looks she did.

I'm not really blown away by anyone yet.

S.S.BlackOrchid

It was fun to watch because I like looking at makeup, but I can think of several Specktra members who can easily kick all of their asses.