Bobbi Brown Discussion & Must-haves

anita22

I saw the Xmas collection out today, it's really lovely! So many pretty palettes. I'm very keen on the Smoldering eye palette (it had a lovely mauvey-purple theme going on) for an upcoming Xmas party, but just not sure I can justify it when I already have so many smokey palettes I hardly use. Must resist!

Camnagem

I got my Smokey and Smoldering Eye Palettes!

I really, really like them. The new product (Long-Wear Eye Paint) is incredible when swatched wet. I think they would be amazing for a simple dark and steamy sexy eye (using it wet all over the lid and using it dry to blend out) and even for a more day to day simple but eye catching look (wet as a liner with the other included shades).

I used a foam applicator for my swatches and the color payoff was good. I didn't have any problems at all with pigmentation, but there is some fallout with the Metallic Eye Shadows (one in each palette), and some with the Long-Wear Eye Paints when used dry. I have to say the Smoldering Palette is my favorite, it's stunning! I posted pictures in the BB swatch thread, but I'll post them here too for easier searching.

Smokey Eye Palette:

Smokey Eye Palette Swatches:
(NW15 skin, no base)

Smoldering Eye Palette:

Smoldering Eye Palette Swatches:
(NW15 skin, no base)

Honey&LemonGirl

Oh my gosh. Those paints are INSANE!! What a fantastic concept to have it be super pigmented and paint-like when wet like that. I totally passed on these palettes, but I'm definitely thinking twice now. Thanks for the gorgeous swatches, Camnagem!!

Camnagem

No problemo, I'm happy to share the pretty!
sigh.gif

I think these eye paints are pretty fantastic. I was iffy about them dry, thinking they were a big time miss...then I swatched them wet. OMG! The wet swatches really shocked me in the best way possible, just gorgeous. I hope BB makes more of these, or a palette of just them...I'd LOVE them in dark green, navy, dark violet, burgundy and copper shades.

Miss QQ

Thanks for the review and great pics, Megan! I have been interested in Smoldering, and more so now! Is it all right to put a damp brush directly on the eye paints? I rarely use my e/s wet and I don't know which e/s can be wet and which cannot. Enjoy your new palettes!

anita22

Thanks for the review Camnagem!

I saw these palettes again today, and I was SO tempted by Smoldering. I think I will go back and get it next week! (I also have my eye on the brush set as well).

MissQQ, the eye paints look a lot like MAC's Mineralize eyeshadows, so I'm assuming that you can put a damp brush right in without ruining the shadow.

Camnagem

Thanks for the review and great pics, Megan! I have been interested in Smoldering, and more so now! Is it all right to put a damp brush directly on the eye paints? I rarely use my e/s wet and I don't know which e/s can be wet and which cannot. Enjoy your new palettes!
For these new Eye Paints specifically, they're designed to be used both wet and dry. I'm not sure if they're baked, but they actually don't sit in the palette flat. The first 3 shades are pressed flat like normal e/s, and the Eye Paint is domed (like MAC MB's and MES). For my swatches I just wet the foam applicator and swirled it around a bit in the Eye Paint directly. It kinda makes a paste-like texture, similar to a cake eyeliner when wet, and didn't damage the product at all.

I can't wait to hear what you think of everything!

Miss QQ

Thanks, anita and Megan. :) I'm have been thinking, maybe I will pass the modern classic lip & eye palette after all. I will just have to see what calls my name when I see the collection in person.

Miss QQ

Is it very warm - very bronzy/coppery? I can't wear warm browns. It looks gorgeous, and so does the cool eyes. I wonder if my counters will get the Choose your glam collection besides the palettes/sets collection.

elegant-one

Is it very warm - very bronzy/coppery? I can't wear warm browns. It looks gorgeous, and so does the cool eyes. I wonder if my counters will get the Choose your glam collection besides the palettes/sets collection.

No, I didn't think the bronze or the browns were overly warm at all. In fact, I was kind of surprised that it was called warm eyes. Maybe it was the lighting too.

Miss QQ

^^ That's good. Hope you like it if you are buying it.

I don't have it, but here's a great review and swatches: http://cafemakeup.com/2010/11/bobbi-brown-day-to-night-warm-eye-palette/
It looks so different swatched! I really like it in the palette, but swatched it leans too orangey for what I need.
I saw her swatches too and thought it looked very orange on her.

I know this is a bb thread, but perhaps I will pass bb again and get my Chanel Delicat-Taupe which has been in my list for a long time.

Miss QQ

I saw the red lippies and the smoldering, smoky and sultry palettes. The palettes are nice, and I like smoldering but the lippies impressed me more. The texture of the lipsticks feels good and pigmentation is good too. I like the gloss, it is a true red! But I've never tried their glosses before and I heard that the brush applicator will splay. The modern lip & eye palette was on display but there was no tester so I couldn't swatch.

I just realise there are two red glosses but I only swatched one and I don't know which. The displayer wasn't up so everything was brought to me one by one by the SA, which was messy and confusing.

patty88

For me it's the following:-
corrector
banana eyeshadow
ultra fine eyeliner brush (for use with Mac fluidlines & Bobbi Brown gel eyeliners)
Bobbi Brown eyeliner brush (for use with eyeshadows)

anita22

I stopped by the Bobbi Brown counter yesterday to pick up the Cool Day to Night palette but they were sold out :-( I might order it online instead.

I also picked up the Natural Finish Longwear foundation (I love the Skin foundation but it's not really long-wearing enough for me to wear to work) and the larger of the two mini brush sets. The brush set is so luxurious, I can't wait to use it!

Lavande

BB Shimmer Bricks

I've heard nothing but amazing things about these bricks...however I try and stay away from shimmer so I am somewhat concerned.

Does anyone know what these look like on? (I've never seen one in real life). I assume they are different than MAC's msfs?

What exactly is the point of them? I'm not looking to highlight, but rather to get a healthy looking glow.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

SweetCheeks

Having worked for Bobbi I've tested all the shimmerbricks an honestly, they are great, but only one or two of them worth the purchase IMO. The main one being Bronze, it's the staple SB you need to have. Honestly these babies are way too shimmery to be anything but highlight or shimmery shadow. You can use the rose as a blush, or even the coral, but the pink, gold, beige, beach etc are really only valuable as highlighters. I usually use the bronze as eyeshadow along with a highlight over blush. For an all over glow, I'd suggest Bobbi's illuminating bronzers.

Lavande

Excellent advice- thanks so much!

There was a pink one that a friend has and it looks pretty but honestly it looks like a glitter bomb. Wasn't sure exactly what these were used for- sounds like mainly highlighting, but so pricey! I was hoping there was one for an "all over glow" type color but I guess not?

Thanks again
Having worked for Bobbi I've tested all the shimmerbricks an honestly, they are great, but only one or two of them worth the purchase IMO. The main one being Bronze, it's the staple SB you need to have. Honestly these babies are way too shimmery to be anything but highlight or shimmery shadow. You can use the rose as a blush, or even the coral, but the pink, gold, beige, beach etc are really only valuable as highlighters. I usually use the bronze as eyeshadow along with a highlight over blush. For an all over glow, I'd suggest Bobbi's illuminating bronzers.

Latest posts