Boys In Make-Up...opinions.

Cruella

Wheee! I love you MsPixieEars! Can we run away together? LOL I was thinking the same as you but I bit my tongue because I know I can be quite nasty when irritated. Thank you for saying what I was thinking, but saying it in a mature rational fashion.

My husband, who was in the Army, who can shoot a gun like nobody's business, who works as an auto mechanic, loves all kinds of skin care products and colognes. He loves to get dressed up and enjoys shopping with me. He can also cook and clean and do laundry. Does this make him less "manly"?

mspixieears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruella
Wheee! I love you MsPixieEars! Can we run away together? LOL I was thinking the same as you but I bit my tongue because I know I can be quite nasty when irritated. Thank you for saying what I was thinking, but saying it in a mature rational fashion.

My husband, who was in the Army, who can shoot a gun like nobody's business, who works as an auto mechanic, loves all kinds of skin care products and colognes. He loves to get dressed up and enjoys shopping with me. He can also cook and clean and do laundry. Does this make him less "manly"?

Good to know my BA came in handy for something...
lol.gif
Your husband sounds like a good, decent person; in such a context, the question of whether he is or isn't manly seems almost irrelevant, if you know what I mean.

My mum said that in the 70s, my dad used to cop so much crap from her fellow workmates for ironing and cooking, and looking after me as a baby. They used to joke he was kept on leash by her! But he just wanted to have an even hand in everything, and that meant doing the things traditionally associated with women, helping out his partner.

You've got to love a man who knows the value of taking care of their skin. Particularly in Australia, men wearing moisturiser (with sun protection of course) is neither manly or unmanly, but just plain responsible. I imagine that getting melanoma because your pride dictated that men don't use moisturiser, and thus worrying the crap out of your family...it doesn't sound so manly to me...

user3

I just wanted to put my 2 cents in here.

I personally could careless if men wear makeup. I say do what you like! If they want to toss on some makeup go for it. If my husband wanted to use makeup, that is fine I would just lay down the ground rules and let him know my makeup is off limits! I have share issues! LOL

I did once think like lovemichelle and she is intitled to her own opinion.
I realize that it upset some people but we need to be more open minded. That goes for everyone!
I'd personally like to know exactly what is that she does not like about men wearing makeup?
I am always open to other opinions because I know that what someone else believes or thinks does not impose on me.
I realize that this is an issue the "ruffles the feathers" but I think it's an issue worth talking about without getting "worked up".
I'd love to hear from some of the guys on our forum!
I know my husband would never wear makeup, I have a problem getting him to put on chapstick! Drives me nuts!
I would love for him to be more into skincare! He doesn't realize that he can more with that face than shave it!

I'd love to hear what men/males have to say on this subject.

I spoke to a few of my male makeup artist friends and I got some mixed ideas. A few said they love makeup but would wear it themselves. Other told me they had makeup on and I was like NO you don't but they did. Some concealer, lip balm and brow filler! I could not even tell! Yet, even others who I knew wore makeup said that it does not bother them for people to ask why they wear it. Most responded with a "Because I love color" response.
BTW I personally have found male makeup artist to be top notch! They seem to add a great artistic touch to the work that is always so creative!

Just one more thing. I think we all need to realize that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and we do NOT want to discourage people from voicing their thoughts. Just because your opinion might not be in the majority does not mean those that have the majority opinion have the right to come on on the lesser opinion.
Keep in mind that you don't have to agree and you don't have to respond.

Ok I am done! Dang, did I use the work opinion enough? :p

Shawna

All I have to say on the subject is that men wearing makeup is HOT. Too bad most of them are gay. Sigh.

rcastel10

The only problem I have with men wearing makeup is that most men that wear makeup know how to aplly it way better than I do. I'm jelous. Also, I hate that every guy that plucks out his eyebrows has like the perfect brows. Again, jelous. Besides that I could care less what men do to take care of themselves. I think anybody can do whatever they want.

joytheobscure

I think the great plains states are pretty conservative as is Oklahoma. But my personal opinion on it is, it looks awesome on some guys but on my husband he'd look silly -just the way he is his facial type etc... But I think that some guys look totally hot in makeup- gay or straight. I love 80s rockers and eyeliner on guys looks great- but it has to go with their "look" - I guess maybe I"m stereotyping but I love the guys with a lean face and punk hair with eyeliner - I could totally go for a guy like that. And of course I think guys have every right to wear makeup but look at how society views women who wear "too much makeup" or "no makeup at all" if you wear too much you'll get called a whore and too little a lesbian... so no one wins, you only can if you please yourself and say to hell with everyone else.

joytheobscure

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurian

For me personally, black eyeliner makes everyone hotter. This is just God's own truth. Man or woman, gay or straight, it's just hot. I don't know if this is due to having grown up in love with Motley Crue or what..
:

LOL this is my opinion, black eyeliner looks so nice on guys - I also have to admit the first thought in my mind when I read this was "Duran Duran" - I love Johnny Reznick from the goo goo dolls too and I believe he wears black eyeliner or used to. *I may be wrong*

Now the pink shirt thing thats popular - not sure about that- but I hate to go out with my "manly husband" and watch him snicker- of course my husband had a mullet when I met him and thought metallica was cool. He's a cop now and probably isnt' allowed to wear makeup to work. LOL

joytheobscure

Cruella My husband said:
No, it just makes us all who have the slovenly do nothing around the house husbands jealous. Although mine will rarely cook and occasionally build things - but he does not love skin care - he does demand his dove moisturizing soap <grin>

joytheobscure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspixieears
I don't think anyone's going to yell at you, but did you know that it was in fact MEN who wore makeup before women? I'm thinking pre-Revolutionary France, court of the Sun King. Also in theatre: at the times when women were not allowed to act (Shakespeare's time).

There is a massive thread on this in the Chatter section; it's fairly old but yes, it's been a topic of discussion here before.

I say do whatever the hell you want, just make sure it's not mortally wounding someone.

Beautiful roccocco art with the men wearing their high heel shoes - tights and wigs... along with their beautiful white lead based makeup.

I know in NM /AZ in some of the pueblos ceremonial makeup is used regularly even among the boys. Also Zuni tribe has the legend of the "man woman" - they sent a "princess" transsexual man as a princess to Washington DC in the late 1800s. I think its neat.

Of course the Japanese also have their traditional actors who were always men- playing women's roles - as in the greek theatre.

History always stays the same its just the level of tolerance that fluctuates. Makeup is fine, but please lord DO not let the decorated cod pieces come back into style.... nor I do not want to EVER see women shaving their eyebrows so we can look like a classical dutch painting.

lovemichelle

I remember starting this thread being high so I didn't think people would go on and on about it. I also didn't think people would start history lessons but, just opinions. Either way I didn't get the response I was looking for so thanks for whatever.

mallory

Boys wearingmakeup doesn't bother me but I don't find them sexually attractive..come to think of it they probaby wouldn't find me attractive anyway if they're wearing makeup.
lol.gif

user4

Makeup is something to enhance your positive feature (from what I know) and what's wrong with men wanting to enhance what they like about themselves. If we can chose to hide our pimples and imperfections behind foundation and concealer then why shouldnt they be "allowed" to also...

Either way, I don't think there is anything wrong with men wearing makeup (gay or straight). And like someone pointed out... most male MAs are a million times better than the chic behind the counter!!! So there goes any women are better at makeup than men theory!!! Personally I am not sexually attracted to men in makeup (at least obvious makeup) but I'm not against it! If a guy wore concealer to hide something he doesnt want everyone to see... then by all means!

CaliKris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDee
That's ludicrous! Some of the most famous MA's in the world are male...and my fave at my MAC counter happens to be a man...he is FANTASTIC at doing women's makeup.

How very close-minded you're being.
ssad.gif
Sad for you.

That is exactly what I was thinking. My brother-in-law is a MA and a damn good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemichelle
I remember starting this thread being high so I didn't think people would go on and on about it. I also didn't think people would start history lessons but, just opinions. Either way I didn't get the response I was looking for so thanks for whatever.

I am confused, what exactly were you looking for? Everyone to agree with you?

Not all men that wer MU are gay...Give me Billy Joe from Green Day in his black eyeliner any day, He is HOT!!!
8730709-8730711-medium.jpg

Cruella

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemichelle

Did you think you were just going to bring up a controversial topic, spout your close-minded beliefs and everyone was going to applaud your brilliance?

At least everyone who responded responded rationally & thoughtfully. The best you can come up with is "...thanks for whatever." As for the "history lessons," I think it is terrific that there are people on this board who can discuss things other than makeup.

Maybe if you spent less time getting high and more time reading something besides "People" magazine, you wouldn't be so narrow-minded.

joytheobscure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKris
That is exactly what I was thinking. My brother-in-law is a MA and a damn good one!

Not all men that wer MU are gay...Give me Billy Joe from Green Day in his black eyeliner any day, He is HOT!!!

YES!!!Oh yeah - Billy Joe is very hot- I wouldn't mind having one of my own <grin>

lovemichelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKris

that is one ugly man in my opinion.

lovemichelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruella
Did you think you were just going to bring up a controversial topic, spout your close-minded beliefs and everyone was going to applaud your brilliance?

At least everyone who responded responded rationally & thoughtfully. The best you can come up with is "...thanks for whatever." As for the "history lessons," I think it is terrific that there are people on this board who can discuss things other than makeup.

Maybe if you spent less time getting high and more time reading something besides "People" magazine, you wouldn't be so narrow-minded.

dont pretend like u know me. i get high maybe once a month. i work my ass off everyday 9-10 hours so i dont give a shit what anyone says. i started the topic because it was something that popped in my head and i obviously knew everyone wouldn't agree with me. in fact i knew most wouldn't, if not all. for some reason the people i see online are nothing like the people i meet and see in everyday life. its very strange for me.

and i never read people magazine before. where did that wack comment come from?

i have a business degree and know what i am capable of so acting like all i do is get stoned and read some magazine i never picked up before is very close minded and judgemental of you.

lovemichelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
Have you tried looking at him with beer goggles?
greengrin.gif

even drunk he would not be attractive to me. when i get drunk my eyes dont make ugly people look good. i dont know how other people get like that. ugly is ugly no matter if im drunk or not.

Latest posts