Boys In Make-Up...opinions.

mspixieears

Quote:
Originally Posted by joytheobscure
History always stays the same its just the level of tolerance that fluctuates. Makeup is fine, but please lord DO not let the decorated cod pieces come back into style.... nor I do not want to EVER see women shaving their eyebrows so we can look like a classical dutch painting.

It's always bothered me a bit that my mum's gradually lost her eyebrows, but decorated codpieces??? Ooh wow, I'd love to see one, sounds like an absolute hoot! Bring them back I say!

A good point you make about tolerance fluctuating. Yes, history stays the same, but the problem is, there is no such thing as 'objective truth'. No matter where we get our facts from, there will always be some sort of bias. So throughout time, history and its reportage, and the trends of reportage will constantly change. But that's getting a bit pedantic - sorry...

I confess I've always had a devastating weakness for guys who are pale, wearing black eyeliner and dark nail polish. I honestly don't know why I find it so sexy, but I do. *shrugs*

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruella
Decided to bite my tongue

You'd be amazed what you can get by sending off enough corn flake packet tops these days
graucho.gif

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspixieears
It's always bothered me a bit that my mum's gradually lost her eyebrows, but decorated codpieces??? Ooh wow, I'd love to see one, sounds like an absolute hoot! Bring them back I say!

You probably need to hang out at Renaissance fairs if you want to see lots of decorated codpieces up-close and personal but here's a representative example (click on the picture to see the full costume);

Meanwhile, back at the plot, how should we decide who is "allowed" to wear makeup and who isn't? What about some women who have very masculine features and who often get mistaken for men (nothing to do with sexuality, just anatomy). Should only feminine women be allowed to wear makeup?

How about guys who have very feminine or androgynous features then? Should they be allowed to wear makeup but macho looking guys not? Where do we draw the line?

How about indigenous makeup worn for tribal ceremonies? Men around the world adorn themselves with colours and patterns as part of traditions which have been in place for hundreds if not thousands of years. If that's OK, why should we complain when a guy wants to use some eyeliner or mascara or lipstick?

Makeup is all about helping people to change their appearance - in a subtle manner or even spectacularly. It may be used to cover the sorts of minor blemishes we all feel uncomfortable about displaying or it may be a way to achieve a complete transformation. For some people it is just a way to express their artistic creativity. Should we dictate who is allowed to be creative and who isn't based on their gender?

The simple fact of the matter is that we're born naked and devoid of makeup. Any adornment, be it clothing or cosmetic, is purely artificial and fashion (which determines what is acceptable) is never static. Proof of that is that Jean Paul Gaultier has now released a range of makeup specifically for men including lipsticks, kohl pencils, tinted brow gels and bronzers. Here are the lipsticks;

P62005_hero.jpg

You can see the full range at Sephora here

If someone can come up with a coherent and rational argument as to why men shouldn't be allowed to wear makeup then let's hear it.

MACgirl

caffn8me, could you have put it any better???? i agree 100% with you....and adding that i think everyone should be entitled to wear makeup. My fave MA is a male and he works wonders! he teaches me some tricks his trianers teach him cuase he knows im a makeupartist....he also got recgonized for best halloween mask in regianals or soemthing i couldnt really undertant it was really crowded! but all in all i think makeup is for everyone!

Shawna

I think the whole debate just boils down to personal preference. Just because I like or dislike something doesn't mean everyone else has to agree with me *rubs hands together gleefully* at least not yet, one day though...........insert evil laugh here
graucho.gif

mspixieears

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
You probably need to hang out at Renaissance fairs if you want to see lots of decorated codpieces up-close and personal but here's a representative example (click on the picture to see the full costume)

Oh my gosh, that is absolutely hilarious! Incidentally, I do actually play a bit of Renaissance classical music, but yet to sight the decorated codpiece. Thanks for the picture!

In relation to your comment re. cornflake tops...I wasn't quite sure what you meant but does it have something to do with the fact that apparently Kellogg (as in the man) invented them...as a cure (?!) for masturbation?! My friend read it in his psychology textbook. Bizarre.

But, as Ali G would say, I digest (sic).

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspixieears
In relation to your comment re. cornflake tops...I wasn't quite sure what you meant but does it have something to do with the fact that apparently Kellogg (as in the man) invented them...as a cure (?!) for masturbation?! My friend read it in his psychology textbook. Bizarre.

No - it was a bit obscure I have to confess. It was in response to your comments about Degrees 'R' Us - I was just suggesting that some degrees are so worthless that they could have been purchased with cornflake packet tops - and not just degrees from places like this. It's an old joke started by Tom Lehrer, the satirical singer-songwriter, and it comes from his song "It makes a fellow proud to be a soldier" which contains the lines;
Our lieutenant is the up-and-coming type
Played with soldiers as a boy you just can bet
It is written in the stars, he will get his captain's bars
But he hasn't got enough box tops yet​
So now you know
graucho.gif

mspixieears

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
No - it was a bit obscure I have to confess. It was in response to your comments about Degrees 'R' Us - I was just suggesting that some degrees are so worthless that they could have been purchased with cornflake packet tops

Ah yes, they have a joke here in Australia (well, first place I heard it) that if you get your driving licence on an automatic car, as opposed to manual, you have a 'cornflake' licence. From cutting out the coupons, send away for the free stuff...it's ridiculously easy to get a licence here, not like in the UK
th_confused_new.gif

firefly

I am from the Midwest so yeah I defiantely don't see it on a regular basis, but I see nothing wrong with it. If its their way of expressing themselves who am I to say it's wrong? Makeup doesn't hurt anyone. I have to say I would notice it more, because I don't see men wearing makeup too often, but its rude to tell someone how to live & express themselves, also very close-minded.

Annie Boy

Yes i do believe males should wear make up. Why would i disagree! lol Im a guy myself. But i also have to agree with the fact that only certain guys can wear make up well. Not every guy can pull off striking eyeshadow. But same as girls of course.

All i know is, if it looks good and it's done skillfully, just enjoy the work.

Joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt629
Go gender equality.

Totally 2nd this!
I don't believe very much in huge gender differences, but more in differences between individuals!
Halleluah!

Christina Victoria

I believe that everyone has their own beauty, everyone is beautiful in their own, unique way. I think that what is on the inside counts, what is on the outside is just for a visually-appealing effect, and nothing more. Of course, people have different opinions and views on what is 'beautiful' and what is 'ugly', and they always will. But maybe someday people will be able to look past that, and see that everyone is beautiful, and should be able to do what they want (within the law, of course) without feeling that they may be harrassed, critized, or pressured if they do something that may not follow today's very prejudice perception of beauty, and what is considered "acceptable".

It is someone's free choice to use their money and time how they want - If they want to use makeup, apply it, all the power to them, no matter what gender! They have every right to, and while people may always not agree with it, it's a fact that they have the right - not an opinion. People who choose to judge people, solely on the outside, should also choose to phrase their opinions in a non-threatening and kind way. Please treat people how you would like to be treated.. It saddens me how many people are close-minded today.. Can't we just all look past that, and look at what really counts, not just what's on the outside and make our opinions based on that alone?

Julia Vanhorn

I am all for guys wearing make-up. I know that this might freak out a few people, but I am a guy... lol. I am sure everyone knew that already. I love wearing make-up. It makes me feel more appealing if that is the right word to use here. I love being creative with it, and not just using it to conceal my problem areas but to also wear it as any girl would. I cannot even go out in the public without putting on e/s, blush, and l/g. I am sure that I am not the only guy that does that.
I also wear make-up on stage, if you have not already guessed, I am a drag queen. Being on that stage is what makes me happiest. All the attention is on me and no one else at that moment. But however, I have seen some guys wear make-up and they look like Mimi from "the Drew Carey Show." I cannot stand that. Makes me want to go up to them and snatch their wig off for not being professional about it.
I am glad that I live in a time where guys wearing make-up is becoming more socially accepted. But like any time in the past, some people still have a problem with it. It may be that they feel less... I don't know what the word to use here, but I know that with most guys, it makes them feel less masculine. I am glad that Hollywood is starting to strongly influence that, because some of these guys out there could definitely use the help of make-up. Especially where I live *gasps* Redneckville lol.
I am glad that everyone in this forum is strongly for it. I hope that I can meet more ppl like you all in here.
Anyways, that is my two cent opinion for the moment. So peace out and hope that everyone had happy and safe New Years.

ette

seriously, whatever makes you happy! but if my boyfriend started wearing makeup all of the sudden, i'd be like wtf? haha but otherwise, it's a personal decision. who cares?!

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Vanhorn
I am glad that Hollywood is starting to strongly influence that, because some of these guys out there could definitely use the help of make-up. Especially where I live *gasps* Redneckville lol.

I've spent a lot of time over the last couple of years working in Rednecksville south of Atlanta. I'm not sure the guys there are ready for makeup yet. One of my friends there used to be an ER nurse and she told me that one of the regular admissions to the hospital was an androgynous looking guy who kept getting beaten up every couple of weeks because the local rednecks couldn't figure out whether he was a boy or a girl - and that was without him wearing makeup or girls' clothes
ssad.gif
I think that's really sad. She did tell me that he had a figure to die for though and all the female nurses were jealous! I hope you don't find you have such problems, be careful!

Essjica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne
I do think make-up looks good on SOME men. I think you look (onederland)great with make-up on, and I like the other boys's creations a lot too! I also don't believe that anyone should judge men who like to wear make-up, if it makes them feel happier and more confident, why not? one thing I do is htat my first reaction to mu on boys is 'they must be gay'. Kinda weird, but I'm glad you just showed me that I shouldn't be judging people on that.

But know I would freak out if I saw my dad wear make-up, and I would be kinda upset if I saw my boyfriend apply foundation on himself.. Sorry I just don't find it a turn on, I like it that my man is scared of make-up, because it might harm his manhood (He HATES the MACstore, because there are too much colorfull men, who are not afraid to show off their homosexuality). I had to force him into wearing lipbalm when he had sore ,dry and broken lips. I was the one who put some cream on his face. And I adore him even more when he comes w/ me to MAC, and I see him thinking 'what the hell am I doing here', and runs to the shop with X-boxgames as soon as we leave the place, to make sure he's boy-ish enough!

I saw some girls write about men w/ dirty nails are gross, and I agree on that one. But hygiene is something that's a must for everybody, I like everyones face and nails clean, and I don't want to smell a body odour on anyone, male or female!

I do find the male MUA are mostly better than the female, maybe that's because the girls don't want to be jealous at the girls they did the MU on.

I agree 100%. That is like my exact opinion on this subject.
smiles.gif

karen

Boys in makeup are hot(usually... there are always exceptions).

I have an ex-fiance that was actually a drag queen(This was 10 years ago, though). I used to do his makeup all the time. Kind of a turn-on, actually. :p

As far as regular makeup goes, like women, it's up to them. If they feel comfortable wearing makeup, then more power to them. If they don't, then natural is fine too.
My husband doesn't wear any, but he's let me put lipstick on him before(he has such pretty lips!).

Chelly

i looove metrosexual guys - ones who take care of themselves, their hygene, their appearance etc. my boyfriend moisturizes every day, his hair is always neatly cut. but as for makeup on him - def not. i want my man to be manly (not trying to start drama but that is my personal view) i dont want him to worry about smudging his makeup when i grab his cheeks bc they're so cute ya kn0w?