Chanel Foundations & Concealers

QueenOfSnark

Unfortunately I've just realized that silicone is the culprit behind the persistent breakouts on my forehead.
ohboy.gif
Bye bye Perfection Lumiere, Le Blanc primer, and my KGD color corrector. I just bought the latter two too. After having stopped using those products my face has completely cleared up. Hopefully my Poudre Universalle should still be ok to use, and my blushes too since those don't seem to have any 'cones in them.

Winthrop44

Bummer...those are not so easy to avoid. But I'm glad you already have some things you like that don't include them!

bis

Unfortunately I've just realized that silicone is the culprit behind the persistent breakouts on my forehead. :eek:hboy: Bye bye Perfection Lumiere, Le Blanc primer, and my KGD color corrector. I just bought the latter two too. After having stopped using those products my face has completely cleared up. Hopefully my Poudre Universalle should still be ok to use, and my blushes too since those don't seem to have any 'cones in them.
Oh no, like Winthorp said they are in everything. Apparently Korres makes a primer w/o silicones, but I never tried it. Edit: Winthorp, do you think the cream version will have lots of alcohol again? From the Asian reviews it sounded a lot like it was made especially for people with dry skin.

QueenOfSnark

Oh no, like Winthorp said they are in everything. Apparently Korres makes a primer w/o silicones, but I never tried it.
I'm testing out some mineral makeup from a company called Meow, and apparently my skin likes their products as I haven't broken out from anything (foundation, primer, finishing powder, blush). In fact, like I mentioned, it's helping clearing my skin up. I'm sure the natural skincare I also recently started doing is helping as well. And here I thought the breakouts were due to hormones/stress. I guess I need to really be OCD about what I put on my face as it's turning more sensitive than it used to be.

I've used the Korres primer before and found it more or less useless.

Winthrop44

That sounds good. When my skin was at its most sensitive Alima mineral makeup was a huge help to me too. It also has really minimal ingredients (and no bismuth) like Meow.

Miss QQ

I checked the packaging of the sample of Vitalumiere Hydra I have and the ingredients are listed! I have 2, and I already used up 1. I like it, when my Vitalumiere Eclat powder foundation finishes I'll get it. I have VE in 20 and it is orange on me, and the other compact foundation I have is Diorskin Nude in 20 which is slightly too pale. VH in 20 seems to be a good match. I need compact foundation when I'm in a hurry on some mornings, increasingly more now, so I can powder myself on the go.

There is Dimethicone, is it a silicone? Yes it is marketed for dry skin.. Sorry this is a poor pic. If you need a better pic or me to type them out just let me know. :)

Winthrop44

Thanks so much Miss QQ! Yes, dimethicone is a silicone as is cyclopentasiloxane and polymethylsilsesquioxane. There's another one in there too. The sunscreen/sunblock looks to be a combination of physical (titanium dioxide) and chemical (ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate - which is one that there has been some controversy about actually generating free radicals upon exposure to sunlight but the cosmetics companies seem to persist in using it).

Miss QQ

^^ Hi, you are online! You know so much of these chemicals, and I'm ashamed, lol, as I was a Chemistry major. So is ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate present in most sunblocks?

Winthrop44

I don't really know that much...just enough to avoid what I need to for my sensitivity issues. Sunblocks are all physical, so just titanium dioxide and zinc oxide (those are what is in mineral makeup), but this is more often than not included in sunscreens. It's also called Octyl Methoxycinnamate or Octinoxate. Our FDA says it's ok up to a certain percentage.

Miss QQ

^^ Thanks! I realise many chemicals are ok up to a certain percentage, any more they will be carcinogenic. And it applies to skincare products too.

Monsy

they keep putting silicone everywhere now. not just in makeup, a lot of serums, day creams and even night creams have silicone very high on the list of ingredients.

Winthrop44

Silicones are one of the very few things my rosacea loves, but I feel badly for those who can't use them because they are so ubiquitous. Chemical sunscreens on the other hand I have alot of trouble with, so QoS we may be in the same boat for different reasons with this new foundation!

bis

I'm testing out some mineral makeup from a company called Meow, and apparently my skin likes their products as I haven't broken out from anything (foundation, primer, finishing powder, blush). In fact, like I mentioned, it's helping clearing my skin up. I'm sure the natural skincare I also recently started doing is helping as well. And here I thought the breakouts were due to hormones/stress. I guess I need to really be OCD about what I put on my face as it's turning more sensitive than it used to be. I've used the Korres primer before and found it more or less useless.
Oh, can I join the club? I do have a lot of issues with my skin and i still am not 100% back to where I was. My skin was always meh about silicones, but now the only cream that my skin tolerates is full of them :dunno: Good to know about the primer though,
That sounds good. When my skin was at its most sensitive Alima mineral makeup was a huge help to me too. It also has really minimal ingredients (and no bismuth) like Meow.
Maybe I should loo into this brand, you guys make it sound like a miracle worker ;)
I checked the packaging of the sample of Vitalumiere Hydra I have and the ingredients are listed! I have 2, and I already used up 1. I like it, when my Vitalumiere Eclat powder foundation finishes I'll get it. I have VE in 20 and it is orange on me, and the other compact foundation I have is Diorskin Nude in 20 which is slightly too pale. VH in 20 seems to be a good match. I need compact foundation when I'm in a hurry on some mornings, increasingly more now, so I can powder myself on the go. There is Dimethicone, is it a silicone? Yes it is marketed for dry skin.. Sorry this is a poor pic. If you need a better pic or me to type them out just let me know. :)
Thanks a lot for posting the ingredients :)
Thanks so much Miss QQ! Yes, dimethicone is a silicone  as is cyclopentasiloxane and polymethylsilsesquioxane. There's another one in there too. The sunscreen/sunblock looks to be a combination of physical (titanium dioxide) and chemical (ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate - which is one that there has been some controversy about actually generating free radicals upon exposure to sunlight but the cosmetics companies seem to persist in using it). 
Bummer, *methoxycinnamate is breaking me out too :( It depends on how often I wear it, but right now I am not trying it, sorry Chanel.

QueenOfSnark

So I looked at the ingredients for the Poudre Universalle and Joues Contraste (Euro) blushes, and despite both having talc and parabens my face seems to be ok with them as I've never broken out with those. Even so I don't want to take the risk and will have to start weaning myself off Chanel.

Their face products anyway. No way am I letting go of my Rouge Allures. *death grips*

Miss QQ

Hi bis! Love your new avatar. :)

The Vitalumiere Hydra is non-refillable, right? I have been looking at the chanel website and checking out all the powder foundations. I'm thinking if I should go with VH or Guerlain Lingerie de Peau foundation and concealer compact.

shadowaddict

I would say Vitalumiere Aqua.

Hi, what kind of coverage does this have? Is it super sheer? Also do you think it would be good for oily skin?

I am having a hard time finding a pale enough foundation that will not leave with an oil slick in an hour or two but yet not be so matte it looks flat and like a mask. Perhaps I am asking for too much. Even at 49 I am prone to breakouts.

MUFE mat velvet plus is powdery and cakey on my. It just looks bla on me. And their HD gives me the oilies in the t-zone.

Any recommendations from anyone in any brand would be helpful. Thanks

Winthrop44

I don't think it's super sheer but I only experimented with it briefly. I have normal-dry very sensitive skin with rosacea and can't use it since it has alot of alcohol in it. I think oily skin types generally like it from what I've read. Definitely worth getting a sample.

bis

Hi bis! Love your new avatar. :) The Vitalumiere Hydra is non-refillable, right? I have been looking at the chanel website and checking out all the powder foundations. I'm thinking if I should go with VH or Guerlain Lingerie de Peau foundation and concealer compact.
Thanks, back to MAC for my avatar ;) I am not sure if it is refillable, does not look like it, but I hope it is. Otherwise it would be such a waste. I like the Mineralize foundation from MAC, but you always throw away a perfectly good compact with a mirror. I'd love to the the Lingerie de Peau, but the colors we have here are too dark. Have you tried it already?

Prettypackages

I had to give up on perfect lumiere... I realized it has been causing me major break outs, I stopped using it and switched to Nars and already my skin has cleared up. I thought the medicine my doc had me on was causing it. I think it is the perfume in it that did it. The concealer even irritated me, the first time I wore it alone with just powder it felt like my skin was on fire. I wanted to dig my nails in my skin to relieve the itchiness. The finish was gorgeous, but just not for me. oh well.