Chanel Holiday 2012 - Eclats du Soir de Chanel

elkaknits

argh my nordstroms had a gift with purchase two weeks ago but I don't think it was the holiday thingie since the holiday coll isn't out yet. Some red bag with a huge bow on it and then a goodie bag from chanel but I figured it was the skin care sample or what not they do.

@cartoonchic... you can ask for samples of foundation or powder or skincare stuff at almost any counter. Nordstroms and Sephora will usually make you a sample if they do not have one prepackaged by brand. Including fragrances at Nordstroms. I usually don't ask for samples but sometimes I will say something like I would like to try it for a few days at home before deciding to purchase. Mind you I almost always already have some sort of history of buying goods from those counters. My Macys SA seriously gives me tons of foundation. She just squirts or pumps it out of the tester into little round sample jars for me to use at home. I don't know why other than she knows I am looking for a new foundation at the moment but I have 3 full little jars of foundation from her. I have gotten testers of make-up removers from Sephora although I have heard peeps say they get lipstick and other stuff made into testers there.

Some stores don't make testers at all but those 3 plus Saks will. NM, Dillards I don't know about. But then I buy a lot of stuff and it is usually the SA's I shop with a lot that tend to go crazy with the making me testers.

Winthrop44

CartoonChic - Thanks so much hun!

If you buy from Nordies, Macys, Saks, there should always be some kind of freebie samples that they can give you.Sometimes they are crappy & other times quite nice.
I have not been so lucky. Do you usually ask nicely or do they just do it at your stores?

elegant-one

I have not been so lucky. Do you usually ask nicely or do they just do it at your stores?
Both happens. If I know that there is a particular sample that I like (Hydra Beauty Serum!) I hit all of them up for the sample...over & over
amuse.gif
My Nordies though usually loads me up with goodies.
Aww, thats terrible & stingy of them.

I had a Macys that I have only shopped at a few times give me several of the little glosses. I think she was like..here, I'm busy now go away LOL

MissTT

Yeah, I have to say I was disappointed I didn't receive a sample when I ordered from the Seattle Studio. Especially since I had just had an order canceled by them. My other SA gave me a sample from her counter when I didn't even order anything from her brand. (My SA during the Anniversary sale worked the Lancome counter.) I'm glad she did because she got me interested in things I wouldn't have considered before.

elegant-one

Speaking of CRAPPY samples
lol.gif
...when I ordered the blush from chanel.com this morning their samples were terrible. Umm, yeah I want samples of foundation that aren't even near my skin tone range. I think there were 2 like that.

Ingenue

grouphug2.gif
to all of you
heart.gif
All I can say is that it just sucks :(

Shontay, you bought Notorious? What made you want it? ah, another driving lesson. You'll do better each time.

I'm hoping that the color of Notorious doesn't make me look like a vampire...you know, how they sculpt their cheek hollows in the movies
oh.gif
You guys bought Notorious too? Mine gets here on Friday. I'm not a fan of using it on cooler or really pale skin tones (I mean... you guys saw the runway use of it. Those girls looked like Vampires), but I want to see what happens on a neutral or even a warmer skin tone. It might ACTUALLY be sort of universal. We'll see.

Yeah, no. Looks like dirt.

Winthrop44

^^ If I keep mine (long story) I will probably only use it on my eyes.

I know....it's ridiculous to offer foundation samples like that. Don't know why they aren't giving out the cards with the new RAs on them.

elegant-one

I kind of like it on her eyes in that pics so I agee winthrop.

So I will look like a vampire Ingenue
thud.gif
rofl.gif
COOL! But only if it makes me be able to fly too.

We'll see
sigh.gif

Winthrop44

Are you thinking of sending it back Winthrop?
No...I wasn't originally too interested in it but did a CP for someone from a store and because I was nervous about not getting it I later ordered another from Chanel...if I really get both one will be mine and if I only get one I'll probably just skip it for myself.

Ingenue

lol.gif

You can certainly rock it for Halloween if you apply it really strong Elegant. But I bet with a light touch, it will look good. I can just see people going full on with that contour... and the WHOLE point of contour is that it should be subtle.
ohboy.gif

Unless you are intentionally doing drag makeup, contour is a trick of shadows and light, that should NOT be obvious.

Ingenue

No...I wasn't originally too interested in it but did a CP for someone from a store and because I was nervous about not getting it I later ordered another from Chanel...if I really get both one will be mine and if I only get one I'll probably just skip it for myself.
Ahhh, I see.

elkaknits

I sent a letter to the SA in Seattle with my color match info NW15 , BG 32, 30 or 20 depending upon brand and she didn't seem encouraging about the Notorious for contouring unless I wanted to use it in the evening for an edgy look. She suggested brun d'or from the summer collection but that looks {online} dirty to me as well. I guess I can live without cheekbones a while longer seeing as I haven't had any the past 47 yrs.
fool.gif

Winthrop44

You guys bought Notorious too? Mine gets here on Friday. I'm not a fan of using it on cooler or really pale skin tones (I mean... you guys saw the runway use of it. Those girls looked like Vampires), but I want to see what happens on a neutral or even a warmer skin tone. It might ACTUALLY be sort of universal. We'll see.

Yeah, no. Looks like dirt.
That is pretty hideous, yep. It looks much better on Messy Wands:

http://messywands.blogspot.com/2012/09/chanel-notorious-blush-worn.html

And I think it will look good on eyes with Complice like they suggest on Chanel:

http://www.chanel.com/en_US/fragrance-beauty/Contrastes-Essentiels-LOOK-137293

MissTT

I sent a letter to the SA in Seattle with my color match info NW15 , BG 32, 30 or 20 depending upon brand and she didn't seem encouraging about the Notorious for contouring unless I wanted to use it in the evening for an edgy look. She suggested brun d'or from the summer collection but that looks {online} dirty to me as well. I guess I can live without cheekbones a while longer seeing as I haven't had any the past 47 yrs.
fool.gif
Honestly, I don't think she's gung-ho on the product. Assuming we're talking about the same person she was kina ehhh when she was emailing me about it. I think I was reading elsewhere that SAs just don't really get this product and therefore aren't selling it well.

Ingenue

fool.gif
The truth is that all contour (especially proper contour, which is cool... not warm) looks like dirt if it's not applied properly. Contour should always be light and thoroughly blended. Even very pale skin tones can be contoured. The trick is just finding the right shade. I've contoured some clients with a cool eyeshadow, if that was the best match for their skintone.

Ingenue

That is pretty hideous, yep. It looks much better on Messy Wands:

http://messywands.blogspot.com/2012/09/chanel-notorious-blush-worn.html

And I think it will look good on eyes with Complice like they suggest on Chanel:

http://www.chanel.com/en_US/fragrance-beauty/Contrastes-Essentiels-LOOK-137293
YES! You see how light messywands touch is? Also, she's warm toned. It just looks better on a neutral or warmer toned skin. On a pale skin, it's going to look goth because there's no brown base. It's very very cool.

CartoonChic

Ah, thanks for the info ladies. I think I'll make it a habit to "ask" for samples from now on. The counter I go to hasn't been generous with anything, and I often have to hunt down a SA from another counter to get help. It seems like they're usually under-staffed in the makeup department which surprises me at that store.

Now you all have me eyeing Notorious and I wasn't even interested in it.

Icecaramellatte

Honestly, I don't think she's gung-ho on the product. Assuming we're talking about the same person she was kina ehhh when she was emailing me about it. I think I was reading elsewhere that SAs just don't really get this product and therefore aren't selling it well.
The SA at the store I went to was very excited about Notorious. I bought it but I'm still a bit afraid of it so I don't wear it everyday. I'm pretty new to the contouring thing so I'm very afraid of using it or any contour for that matter. I blend like crazy but I do the same with the Mac one I just bought as well. It is such a new and different product, that I had to try it but so far I think it is good.

As far as samples and GWP goes, a Chanel SA told me years ago that Chanel never does GWPs. After buying Chanel for years, I just about fell over when they gave me a Nude lip pencil trial size. (best gift ever!) Soon after that, they gave me a brown one too. Now I stopped buying Chanel for years and I'm just now getting back into it but the SAs gave me samples quite a few times. I think this is a new thing but still kind of rare. So you can ask but don't expect much. I did get quite a few things when I attended an event though.