Do MAC MA's REALLY hate it when we return things?

trollydolly

i cant believe that you have 180 day return policys!!!! in the uk its mainly a 28 or 32 day policy. and at a lot of places if u take something back within the 28 days but have lost ur reciept they wont give u a refund or exchange.

ginger9

When I first started getting into MAC I thought returns went back as testers and then I found out they got tossed. This totally changed my purchasing habit because I thought about returning makeup the same way as returning a sweater, but they are not the same - the sweater doesn't go into the trash even though you tried it on. Since then I don't buy on impulse and I make sure I take the time to try on what I plan to purchase at the store before I buy it. I figure if I try my best to avoid returns on my end 1) in the end it'll help keep costs down (if there's a lot of returns it eventually gets reflected in the price, let's face it) 2) I saved a wasted LE from the garbage to someone that could have used it.

We don't realized how good we have it in North America! Personally I know in Asia there isn't much of a return policy and people there give you SERIOUS attitude for it! I am grateful for our generous return policy and I try not to abuse it.

yc2405

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglegirl
I understand (and its happened to me before) where something looks alright swatched in store but doesn't look right when you get it home, but i feel guilty returning it (and have only done so once). There are some ppl (and I'm not trying to say its you) who habitually buy a ton of a collection, go home, and return more than they keep. its just sick to think all that gets tossed b/c someone couldn't make better purchasing decisions, and all that definitely adds up and we'll be bitching about it down the line when prices continue to go up.

I sometimes wonder if in North America we should adopt the more European policies I've heard discussed here where there would be limited allowances for returns.

I'm in Ireland and here, like in most of Europe, it would be seriously hard to try return cosmetics because of hygiene reasons. I've never even considered returning any make up I've ever bought - that will tell you our attitude to returning cosmetics. Unless something is faulty or "not in saleable condition" then consumers dont really have much to stand on - a change of mind just isn't enough.

adela88

the only times ive returned any makeup is when i had an allergic reaction to it, and times where ive bought somthing and it apears to have been used :s

Lutya

I have a question. I got a paint pot as a gift which I tried once and really don't like, and I'd love to be able to exchange it for something I would use but I don't know what store it's from. It has a sticker on the box but the sticker doesn't say "Macy's" or a store name on it.

It has a bar code and "M74027" and then a 12 digit number. Any ideas where it might be from?

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutya
I have a question. I got a paint pot as a gift which I tried once and really don't like, and I'd love to be able to exchange it for something I would use but I don't know what store it's from. It has a sticker on the box but the sticker doesn't say "Macy's" or a store name on it.

It has a bar code and "M74027" and then a 12 digit number. Any ideas where it might be from?

all boxes (no matter where they're from) have that same sticker. is there another sticker on the box with a barcode? if there isn't, then you can rule out macy's or nordstrom.

mandilovesmakeup

ok i have the same issue with this one MUA at the counter i always go to (it's only a mile from my house)..i NEVER return anything to get my money back, i do exchange and that is only if i really have to, meaning, it really doesn't work for me, though i tried..Anyhoo, everytime i do so this MUA would always be there, and what's ironic is when i go and buy like hundreds worth of stuff she's not there. So the last time i had to make an exchange, it seemed like she didn't want to help me at all..she was very snobbish and not to mention rude..i even tried complimenting her MU (not like it's something to her) and asked her what she had on and the answer i got was "Basically everything that's on there"..with like an irritated tone.. *then she points to the Heatherette display*..gaaah...so rude..

Lesson learned: i'd rather drive miles away to a counter where they have nice MUAs than have to deal with this MUA..which reminds me, tomorrow, i'll be attending a Studio Talk Class at that same counter, i just hope it's not her who'd be helping the trainer..besides, she's not all that great anyways..lol..hater *points to self*..

Kalico

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandilovesmakeup
Lesson learned: i'd rather drive miles away to a counter where they have nice MUAs than have to deal with this MUA..which reminds me, tomorrow, i'll be attending a Studio Talk Class at that same counter, i just hope it's not her who'd be helping the trainer..besides, she's not all that great anyways..lol..hater *points to self*..

I do that too. I drive across the city just to go to where the MA's are nicer, when there's a MAC store 10 minutes from my house.

tarynlovesmac

You know, I've only returned something to MAC once, but the MA was super friendly and treated me no differently than I'm usually treating when I'm in the store spending money. MA's shouldn't get upset, if they help each customer find the right colors for them while their in the store (ie: helping them put it on at the counter, whatever) then that should help keep returns down. I know that this isn't possible to do with every customer, and sometimes other things are a factor (lighting, gifts for others, etc.) but at the end of the day it's YOUR money and if you're unhappy with something you purchased, you have every right to take it back and receive something you like. Like I said, my MA was wonderful about it. I'm sorry you had an icky experience.
ssad.gif

boudoirblonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210

I think a good company should refund/exchange items.

Other countries aren't totally getting punished though.
I know makeup is expensive in other countries, but our dollar is weak right now, so you have to factor that in. What seems like a good deal really isn't that great to us because inflation is a problem. Now if you came to the U.S. and used your money you'd be able to get a lot of stuff. To other countries where the dollar is stronger, the U.S. is on sale. If you watch our economic news we are about or already in a recession, people are losing their homes because of the mortgage crisis and decent jobs that cover basic necessities are increasingly hard to get. I could easily go on about it. The middle class is going away and many are getting to the point where having a bit of makeup is just a dream. I know we've cut back on buying things and we have put off taking a vacation because it's too expensive to go anywhere. Gas prices are so high and we don't have public transportation that is great here. Everything is so spread out you have to have a car to do anything unless you live in the city.
Sorry for my little rant, but it's not so easy over here right now.

NO. In Australia we pay close to double (yes DOUBLE) the US retail price. This isn't a recent/new thing, this is how it has ALWAYS been, even when the US is doing great. They didn't suddenly jack up all the prices because the US might go into a recession. Yes they have to pay to ship it all out here, but I still believe their mark up is much higher here than in the US. Yes, shipping CAN be expensive, but not THAT expensive, especially for make-up given the size. And I know about shipping from the US to here, I regularly have to pay to have large items of clothing sent from the US to me!

Kalico

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmenchi
A lot of people working in the service indusrty are so abused by customers ,it's not even funny...
(I have seen girls actually leave the sales floor to surpress their tears or other emotion because some customers are so agressive...)

That is horrible. Just wrong. You can tell when customers have worked in the service industry and when they haven't. Once you've done it you treat employees very differently.

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmenchi
A lot of people working in the service indusrty are so abused by customers ,it's not even funny...
(I have seen girls actually leave the sales floor to surpress their tears or other emotion because some customers are so agressive...)

this happened a few weeks ago to one of the girls i work with. it was on a saturday and we were slammed. this lady had an appt for a bridal practice, and because it was so busy, her appt got started 10 minutes late. the girl that was doing the appt appologized for the delay, and was ready to get started when the lady asked her "what do i get for free for waiting?". the artist was said "i'm sorry, what do you mean?" and the lady said "well, since i had to wait 10 minutes for my appt, what are gonna give me for free?" whatever lady! when the artist told her that she was sorry for the delay (again) but that we don't give anything away for free, she started going off on the girl. she was in tears and had to step off the floor for a few minutes. another artist took over the appt and in the end the lady was happy. apparently she went off on another artist, cause i overheard her appologizing to a different girl. thankfully she also appologized to the girl she made cry and said that she was stressed out cause she still had so much stuff to do for the wedding. that is no excuse to go off on not one, but two girls for a slight delay and then expect something for free. not only do we not give people free stuff, but if we did, do you honestly think that we'd give you something free after acting like an ass!

GENESISLEXY

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
this happened a few weeks ago to one of the girls i work with. it was on a saturday and we were slammed. this lady had an appt for a bridal practice, and because it was so busy, her appt got started 10 minutes late. the girl that was doing the appt appologized for the delay, and was ready to get started when the lady asked her "what do i get for free for waiting?". the artist was said "i'm sorry, what do you mean?" and the lady said "well, since i had to wait 10 minutes for my appt, what are gonna give me for free?" whatever lady! when the artist told her that she was sorry for the delay (again) but that we don't give anything away for free, she started going off on the girl. she was in tears and had to step off the floor for a few minutes. another artist took over the appt and in the end the lady was happy. apparently she went off on another artist, cause i overheard her appologizing to a different girl. thankfully she also appologized to the girl she made cry and said that she was stressed out cause she still had so much stuff to do for the wedding. that is no excuse to go off on not one, but two girls for a slight delay and then expect something for free. not only do we not give people free stuff, but if we did, do you honestly think that we'd give you something free after acting like an ass!

WOW!!!! I can't believe people act this way. Its horrible!!
angry.gif

dmenchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881

LOL- i had a ldy once insisting that i gave her a brush for free....it was hillarious. she took the 150 from my brushbelt and insisted that she couldn't do her make-up without it and i should give it to her ...she was bargening for items with me...( since clinique gives GWP, we HAVE to give her something for a big purchse- yah excuse me i just gave you my undivided attention and work for an hour- what a 'c u next tuesday'!!!!)

Debbie

It's kind of tough with things like Lip Gloss. I just feel there's a hell of a lot more potential to get germs and things like that on the lips, than on the eyes. Who knows what kind of cold sores people had. I do take my precious time at Sephora and MAC picking out the lip glosses, but there's only so much "educated guess" you could do. I have no choice but to return it sometimes.

MACnickels

I work for mac, and have never posted here, but this is kind of a hot topic. Any product that has left the store/counter and is returned has to be tossed, because MAC can't ensure nothing weird has happened to it. In general I don't mind returns, because some things look different in store lighting, and utimately I want you to be happy with what you buy. i don't want people going home and cursing my name every time they look at the lipstick they hate. I do not appreciate makeup renters -that is the worst!!! Not only do we have a sales goal, but we are also paid on commission where I work. If you return something, that is actual money comming out of my paycheck! Try to exchange it if you can, and if you feel bullied into buying something, maybe you should find yourself an artist who doesn't make you feel that way, and only let them help you. But don't feel bad if you have to return something every now and then, that is why we have a return policy!

kittykatsj

To my understanding, the policy to all Mac stores is that if a product is returned then that product has to be toss away regardless? If so, then Macy's and Nordstrom violated the rules right?I'm not so sure if they toss the returned products away because i once brought a paint pot and a lipstick at the counter and i was shock that the product was used. What do you think of that?

Meryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie
It's kind of tough with things like Lip Gloss. I just feel there's a hell of a lot more potential to get germs and things like that on the lips, than on the eyes. Who knows what kind of cold sores people had. I do take my precious time at Sephora and MAC picking out the lip glosses, but there's only so much "educated guess" you could do. I have no choice but to return it sometimes.

MAC has clean lip gloss testers tucked away. You're not supposed to try on the dirty ones that are put out, unless you do it on your hand. The MA will scoop into a clean tester, if you ask.