Do MAC MA's REALLY hate it when we return things?

mae13

From what i know, it's not just MAC in those countries...it's ALL make-up brands. I don't know if it's a matter of law or just very strong custom.

Some stores here in Canada are iffy on make-up returns too. For example, I've told at Shopper's Drug Mart that I can return make-up that's been opened if I have a reaction to it. I had to return a sealed powder because upon taking it home I realized it was too light. Because I was returning it to a different store, they only let me exchange it, which was fine by me. (I assume that had to do with their bottom line, in terms of balancing their sales vs. returns losses. If they didn't make the sale, they didn't want to take the loss.)

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae13
From what i know, it's not just MAC in those countries...it's ALL make-up brands. I don't know if it's a matter of law or just very strong custom.

Some stores here in Canada are iffy on make-up returns too. For example, I've told at Shopper's Drug Mart that I can return make-up that's been opened if I have a reaction to it. I had to return a sealed powder because upon taking it home I realized it was too light. Because I was returning it to a different store, they only let me exchange it, which was fine by me. (I assume that had to do with their bottom line, in terms of balancing their sales vs. returns losses. If they didn't make the sale, they didn't want to take the loss.)

How are you supposed to prove you had a reaction to it? Have a doctor's note? I kind of like the no returns idea when people abuse it as much as they do, like using up a product then saying it didn't work out, but for the most part i think the company should be willing to give people their money back for a certain amount of time.
Some stores even have a little saying "No sale is ever final" meaning they accept returns under most circumstances if you have the receipt.

Dianora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_M
you don't return used underwear either, do you ?

When I worked at Victoria's Secret years ago, we would take back used underwear...we'd just damage them out of the inventory, put them in a plastic bag and seal it and toss it on the back cashwrap desk.

There have been times since then when, as a customer, I'd buy underwear in a 3 for $25 sale or something like that and wear one pair of the three only to discover they're too small...I can NEVER bring myself to return the worn ones, even though I know they'd probably take them. I just go and exchange the two unworn ones with the tags still on them and see the worn pair as a loss I took. Because, ew!

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianora
When I worked at Victoria's Secret years ago, we would take back used underwear...we'd just damage them out of the inventory, put them in a plastic bag and seal it and toss it on the back cashwrap desk.

There have been times since then when, as a customer, I'd buy underwear in a 3 for $25 sale or something like that and wear one pair of the three only to discover they're too small...I can NEVER bring myself to return the worn ones, even though I know they'd probably take them. I just go and exchange the two unworn ones with the tags still on them and see the worn pair as a loss I took. Because, ew!

I know, I'd never even consider returning used underwear. I'm not a big returner personally, because when I buy something I've looked it over and am satisfied. and if I have doubts about wanting my money back later, it means i don't want it bad enough. I don't return gifts because that would make me feel awful.
To mac so far i've only returned an msf that made me break out and and a khol power pencil because it literally ran down my eyes. Since i am lucky enough to be able to go to mac I can try things on. i feel its pretty unnecessary to have to return something I tried out in most circumstances.
When I worked in retail it also hurt our sales averages when people returned things. Inside I'd kinda cringe, but it was my job to put on a happy face and follow company return policy. Never be rude, that would get you fired if a manager was there. A happy customer tells 3 people about your company and an unhappy tells 10 people! This is so true!

Susanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
Sadly, you can return underwear if it still has the tag with it at some places. I've seen people do it. Always wash your underwear before you wear it!

nocomment.gif

BlahWah

I was apprehensive at first about returning things but it's still been quite rare. The latest is because the MA gave the wrong polish after the makeover and altho I returned it at another store, I told the girl doing the exchange I didn't even take it out of the box. She thanked me and said she'll put it up on the shelf then.

So I'm just curious... do all products go into the bin or just ones which would deal with people's face/skin? Of course, the MA was completely relying on my honesty, but is she allowed to put the polish back up for sale at all?

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahWah
I was apprehensive at first about returning things but it's still been quite rare. The latest is because the MA gave the wrong polish after the makeover and altho I returned it at another store, I told the girl doing the exchange I didn't even take it out of the box. She thanked me and said she'll put it up on the shelf then.

So I'm just curious... do all products go into the bin or just ones which would deal with people's face/skin? Of course, the MA was completely relying on my honesty, but is she allowed to put the polish back up for sale at all?

All products go in the bin-even if someone comes in and says they never touched it. We do that to make sure everything you buy is safe. I know some counters use returned brushes as testers, but we still put them in the bin.

I wanted to mention why we sometimes ask questions when someone returns something. Personally,if it was my sale, I ask because I want to know if I recommended something wrong, or how I can find something better for that person. It isn't to be snotty or rude. If I suggested Ramblin' Rose and you say you didn't like the frosty look it gave, then next time I know to recommend another formula.

I think companies should NOT return panties. I've actually seen panties that were CLEARLY dirty hanging on the rack at Target. Nasty. Draw a line, people.

aziajs

Speaking of re-selling returned product, I have a little story. I went into MAC to exchange one of my paint pots because the glue in the lid was melting and causing dificulty opening the product. Well, they were OOS so she just refunded me the money. I went to another location and bought it. So, a week or so later my mother asked me to return a paint pot for her. She actually had the same color I had and was really excited about it but decided she wasn't comfortable with the cream product. Anyway, I returned it for her. I got a call from one of the MA's at the counter telling me that they had one in stock of the paint pot I was looking for. Now, I had just returned it about 30 minutes before then and she wasn't at the counter at the time. I think they put that paint pot back in to the inventory instead of damaging it out.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
Speaking of re-selling returned product, I have a little story. I went into MAC to exchange one of my paint pots because the glue in the lid was melting and causing dificulty opening the product. Well, they were OOS so she just refunded me the money. I went to another location and bought it. So, a week or so later my mother asked me to return a paint pot for her. She actually had the same color I had and was really excited about it but decided she wasn't comfortable with the cream product. Anyway, I returned it for her. I got a call from one of the MA's at the counter telling me that they had one in stock of the paint pot I was looking for. Now, I had just returned it about 30 monites before then and she wasn't at the counter at the time. I think they put that paint pot back in to the inventory instead of damaging it out.

I've also heard of ma's getting the returned products for free. I guess it depends on the manager and how much of a loss and risk they are willing to take. As far as i know aren't they supposed to return the returned items to the head office?

dmenchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosMEtix
what DO they do with all that stuff we return...? is is always just tossed?

yes, everything needs to be scanned and accounted for then loss prevention/manager signature is required to mail it to a 'destroy in field'- facility. it's a lot of work especially for returns without boxes-
nonono.gif
so please boys and girls hang on to those boxes ,you'll make a lot of people happy
thmbup.gif

dmenchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
Speaking of re-selling returned product, I have a little story. I went into MAC to exchange one of my paint pots because the glue in the lid was melting and causing dificulty opening the product. Well, they were OOS so she just refunded me the money. I went to another location and bought it. So, a week or so later my mother asked me to return a paint pot for her. She actually had the same color I had and was really excited about it but decided she wasn't comfortable with the cream product. Anyway, I returned it for her. I got a call from one of the MA's at the counter telling me that they had one in stock of the paint pot I was looking for. Now, I had just returned it about 30 monites before then and she wasn't at the counter at the time. I think they put that paint pot back in to the inventory instead of damaging it out.

This is truly horrible und i hope that it's just a theory...no product that has left the counter can EVER be restocked- even brushes...once it left the store it NEEDs to be damaged out. If you suspect such activity i would immediatly call customer service, this is not acceptable . this person puts people in serious health risks..this is why everything gets thrown out..nobody wants to get pink eye or herpes... i feel very bad for you to have this experience are you sure they didn't just get anew shipment? i can't imagine anybody risking their job for a 16$ sale..

CantAffordMAC

I dont return many products. I usually try to sell them here first.

The only product I returned to MAC was my perky paint pot. I didnt try it on in the store because I had already done my makeup, and I cant get to MAC only like once a month. after hearing all the raves on it and swatching it on my wrist i bought it. Wearing it on my eyes was a completely different so I wasnt even returning it just exchanging for something else. The MA who did the return for me was not the same one who sold it to me. This MA kept telling me I was applying it wrong, and I did this wrong, and it worked for her so it shouldve worked for me.

Seriously, that was the only return ive done. Dont give me that

MsCocoa

I've never returned make up but in the UK our return policy is much tighter than in the US, from what I hear you guys can return ANYTHING; not saying we can't get a refund or exchange but there's usually much more hassle as it's almost just not the done thing. I personally feel I have the right to return a product I'm not happy with, within reason of course but if I don't like something I don't think I should have to feel about it.

dmenchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalico
Well, when it comes down to it... I think it's about customer service. I've worked in retail a stupidly long time, and yeah - wasted product really sucks, so does losing out on sales, but come on. Manners? People realize all the time that something doesn't look good on them after they've bought it. It's not the end of the world. And not everyone is abusing the system just because they don't have an allergic reaction.

Like I said, this is NOT a regular thing!

yes, it happens all the time and the staff should treat everybody with respect. I believe that asking customers what wwas wrong with the product is very important and shouldn't be seen as an criminal investigation. It actually helps people to provide better service ,if they know what is wrong with items.
But there are those customers that i would like to sit down and tell them: please don't buy the whole collection and then when you can't get rid of it on ebay return it -because you are a greedy price gauger!!! believe me, there are crazies like this out there and some counters have implemented a three item max purchase policy due to that. Isn't this an indication that after all MAC is a business and all customers will be negatively affected in the long run by those who abuse the generosity?
Also there is such a thing as sampling containers. Everybody is more then welcome to test products before they buy. And MAC is much more generous than any other company with samples (excluded sephora)... I just feel bad when people are unhappy and then blame MUA for their lack of communication ..( like the lady who comes in and wants a pink natural lipstick and walk out with Russian red ....)
A lot of people working in the service indusrty are so abused by customers ,it's not even funny...
(I have seen girls actually leave the sales floor to surpress their tears or other emotion because some customers are so agressive...)

Simply Elegant

Here the only type of makeup that's returnable is anything from a department store or more high end makeup. Drugstore makeup can't be returned here because it's the stores' policy here to not allow it.

liv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Elegant
Here the only type of makeup that's returnable is anything from a department store or more high end makeup. Drugstore makeup can't be returned here because it's the stores' policy here to not allow it.

Ugh, that would be terrible, because the majority of drugstore makeup don't have testers (and on the rare occasion they do, they usually look absolutely terrible from all the little kids/teenagers sticking their dirty fingers in there and I don't even want to touch them.) Besides, since the employees there don't have a vested interest in the volume of cosmetics they sell, I don't think it should matter to damage things out (again, in the same respect as dept. store brands, as long as they aren't essentially "renting" the makeup, etc,)

VioletB

UUUUUUGGGGGHH

I've got one for you all!!

So the other night I am working, and this customer walks up with some stuff.

She would like to return a lip color (the stay in place kind) and a nail polish. She has the receipt.

Her nail polish has the box but the lip color (the double ended kind) was HALF EFFING GONE!! The container looked like crap and the logo printed on the outside of the tube was all rubbed off.

Oh and did I mention that she bought it at the beginning of LAST SEPTEMBER?

I was like.. I'm sorry ma'am, I exchange the polish for you, but I can not take this lipstick back... This is past our 180 day return policy.

So she says "OK A manager can approve this for me. Call one."

I do as told.. and as usual my cosmetics manager backs me up. She tells the lady she's sorry, but the ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY DAY RETURN POLICY has passed, and there's nothing we can do.

The lady kind of looked puzzled and she said "EVEN IF I WASN'T HAPPY WITH THE COLOR??"

I'm like WTF lady -- how the hell does it take you more than six months to decide if you like something or not???!

LOL it was good for a laugh.

We are not a bank.. we can't just return things because you need cash, nor are we a pawn shop. We don't look at items and say to ourselves.. "Hmm.. this is slightly used, but still in good condition. I'll give you ten bucks for it."

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletB
UUUUUUGGGGGHH

I've got one for you all!!

So the other night I am working, and this customer walks up with some stuff.

She would like to return a lip color (the stay in place kind) and a nail polish. She has the receipt.

Her nail polish has the box but the lip color (the double ended kind) was HALF EFFING GONE!! The container looked like crap and the logo printed on the outside of the tube was all rubbed off.

Oh and did I mention that she bought it at the beginning of LAST SEPTEMBER?

I was like.. I'm sorry ma'am, I exchange the polish for you, but I can not take this lipstick back... This is past our 180 day return policy.

So she says "OK A manager can approve this for me. Call one."

I do as told.. and as usual my cosmetics manager backs me up. She tells the lady she's sorry, but the ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY DAY RETURN POLICY has passed, and there's nothing we can do.

The lady kind of looked puzzled and she said "EVEN IF I WASN'T HAPPY WITH THE COLOR??"

I'm like WTF lady -- how the hell does it take you more than six months to decide if you like something or not???!

LOL it was good for a laugh.

We are not a bank.. we can't just return things because you need cash, nor are we a pawn shop. We don't look at items and say to ourselves.. "Hmm.. this is slightly used, but still in good condition. I'll give you ten bucks for it."

if she was returning it at mac at macys, she wouldn't be able to for two reasons. it was past 180 days (come on people, 6 months is way more than enough time), and it was more than 1/4 used. she obviously liked it enough to use half of it! some people just have no shame.

VioletB

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
if she was returning it at mac at macys, she wouldn't be able to for two reasons. it was past 180 days (come on people, 6 months is way more than enough time), and it was more than 1/4 used. she obviously liked it enough to use half of it! some people just have no shame.

I don't work for MAC, I work for Lauder.. but the policy is the same no matter what line it is.. But yeah. No shame whatsoever! Unbelievable.