Do MAC MA's REALLY hate it when we return things?

User49

I'm still a fairly new ma at mac, but I always give the customer the benefit of the doubt when it comes to returns. As a huge mac fan I have had my fair share of expensive mistakes so I know that it's important to be fair. I think no matter what the situation the way that the ma you described behaved seemed a little bit unprofessional... You shouldn't be made to feel bad for returning something. However we wouldn't put a returned product out as a tester for hygiene reasons. You never know what people do with the products so the company has to be 100% safe about things. xx

Kalico

I don't return things on a usual basis. I spend a stupid amount of money at MAC and have only returned two products now (I just did the return I was dreading). I wish the MA hadn't pushed me to buy it when I didn't want it in the first place. It's not really her fault though, no body made me give up my money but me.

When a return is made, does it come out of the MA's goals that is doing the return, or the MA who made the sale in the first place? I'd feel horrible if it affects the MA doing the return!

tinagrzela

I've never returned items! I'm a very savy shopper, and what I buy I use, or trade..

If people didn't waste so much by returning so much, maybe prices wouldn't go higher!

eye_pr0mise

i had to return a studio fix at mac once. well not really return but exchange.. then again it wasnt really my fault. the MA gave me the wrong box.
but yea, i sorta stray from talking to a MA for too much help, only bc i dont wanna get pressured into buying something and regretting it later or not bringing enough money (cash helps me to limit my spending for the days lOl). but MAs are really helpful.
i just hate to return things that someone sold to me. if they get comission on the product that i bought i try to resell it or give it to a friend just to avoid taking the $$ away from the MA.

BohemianSheila

I've developed a great relationship with the MAs at the counter I frequent. They know I'm passionate about MAC but they don't pressure me either. It works great. Because they know me, if I do have a problem with the product they will return it no problem - a) because I don't just return things & b) a spend a heckuva lotta money, so they keep me happy. I also try to swap if I get bored with a product because I hate the fact that the product would be thrown away.

christineeee_

i bought the 217 brush again cuz i forgot that i already had it so i have to go return it. they don't toss those away do they? cuz i'd feel really bad if they did. i didn't even open it, it's still in it's plastic sleeve.

ritchieramone

I've never returned anything to MAC - or to any other cosmetics company. I reckon that I made the decision to buy, so it's my bad judgment if it doesn't look all that good on me.

I didn't realise until quite recently that all MAC returns are binned, even if the item is returned literally minutes after the sale. Knowing this has made me think a little differently about my purchases e.g. I ordered Neutral Pink last week and when it arrived, I wasn't entirely sure about how the colour would look on me. Returning it would have meant it was ditched and that I would have effectively taken one of an already limited product "off the market" and out of circulation.

Instead, I decided to test it carefully with a clean brush and eBay it if it really wasn't a good shade for me. That way, I'd be able to recoup most of my money and make sure that someone else who wanted the product could have it.

Hmm, that perhaps made me sound a little sanctimonious like I think I'm some sort of amazing do-gooder, but I know I'd be totally fed-up to think that something I wanted was sold out because someone had bought the last one on a whim and then changed their mind an hour later!

chocolategoddes

yeah.. instead of tossing it away they should giveit to me.
it seemed kind of rude that the MA would throw it like that. but it is a waste of an expensve product.

Chikky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinagrzela
I've never returned items! I'm a very savy shopper, and what I buy I use, or trade..

If people didn't waste so much by returning so much, maybe prices wouldn't go higher!

Well, so am I... But if the MUA is the one who put the wrong color in the bag that's not really my fault. It's not always because the shopper is careless!
smiles.gif

Quote:
I've developed a great relationship with the MAs at the counter I frequent. They know I'm passionate about MAC but they don't pressure me either. It works great.

Here here. Me too. I love the gals at the counter near here (though I really miss the one guy who really hooked me up. I think he got promoted though, so good on him!)

liv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchieramone
Instead, I decided to test it carefully with a clean brush and eBay it if it really wasn't a good shade for me. That way, I'd be able to recoup most of my money and make sure that someone else who wanted the product could have it.

Hmm, that perhaps made me sound a little sanctimonious like I think I'm some sort of amazing do-gooder, but I know I'd be totally fed-up to think that something I wanted was sold out because someone had bought the last one on a whim and then changed their mind an hour later!

That's a bit deceitful of you actually, as you aren't allowed to sell tested items on eBay, no matter how "lightly" you tested them. You'd be better off selling them here on on LJ and selling them honestly. I'd be more than a bit peeved if a product I bought was listed as BNIB and I realized it wasn't (I'm quite anal about the hatchmarks, and I can tell when they're smudged)

I still see no problem with occasional returns as long as you aren't "renting" what you're returning and then re-buying or other schemes. The customer isn't always right with what they buy, and I don't feel like the SA's should give them undue grief because of this.

ritchieramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv
That's a bit deceitful of you actually, as you aren't allowed to sell tested items on eBay, no matter how "lightly" you tested them. You'd be better off selling them here on on LJ and selling them honestly.

I think you're making an unfair assumption there that I've listed a tested item as BNIB when that's simply not the case. I have never, ever been dishonest when listing an item on eBay - or selling it elsewhere for that matter. I've always made it absolutely clear if an item has been tested and am sure to include clear, close up photos so potential bidders can make up their own minds about the condition of the item I'm selling and whether or not it's acceptable to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv
(I'm quite anal about the hatchmarks, and I can tell when they're smudged)

I'm sure you can, but if they were smudged on something I was selling, I would state the fact and show that in my photos; I certainly wouldn't try to mislead anyone.

liv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchieramone
I think you're making an unfair assumption there that I've listed a tested item as BNIB when that's simply not the case. I have never, ever been dishonest when listing an item on eBay - or selling it elsewhere for that matter. I've always made it absolutely clear if an item has been tested and am sure to include clear, close up photos so potential bidders can make up their own minds about the condition of the item I'm selling and whether or not it's acceptable to them.

I'm sure you can, but if they were smudged on something I was selling, I would state the fact and show that in my photos; I certainly wouldn't try to mislead anyone.

I understand what you are saying, but the fact is, eBay's rules are that you can't sell tested makeup...period. Yes, I know that people still list things that have been used/tested/swiped/whatever but listing it on eBay implies that it is Brand New and untested. And if you do state that you had tested it, you are not conforming to eBay's standards, and I don't think that you should be selling it on there. I'm sorry if this came off as rude, but I don't think it's fair that you say that you "will leave it up to the seller to decide" while there are rules in place that should make it clear about what you are buying.

ritchieramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv
And if you do state that you had tested it, you are not conforming to eBay's standards, and I don't think that you should be selling it on there.

I'm unaware of this restriction and I believe it may be due to a difference in policy between ebay.co.uk and ebay.com. I read through the prohibited and restricted items help page on the UK site to double check and there's nothing about used cosmetics. However, there certainly is on the US site. I'm in the UK, selling within the UK and when you're listing an item in the make-up categories, 'used' is one of the options in the item specifics.

CaraAmericana

9:37:39 PM System
Initial Question/Comment: Selling Your Item
9:37:44 PM System
Thank you for contacting eBay Live Help!
9:37:44 PM System
You are successfully connected to eBay Live Help. Please hold for the next available Live Help Agent.
9:38:40 PM System
We appreciate your patience. You will be able to type in your question as soon as you are connected with a Live Help Agent. Please continue to hold for the next available representative.
9:39:40 PM System
Ray M. has joined this session!
9:39:40 PM System
Connected with Ray M.
9:39:50 PM Ray M.
;Hello, thank you for waiting and welcome to eBay Live Help! My name is Ray. If you're a registered member, may I please start by having you confirm your User ID and first name?
9:39:59 PM [email protected]
-------------------------
9:40:41 PM Ray M.
Hello there. How may I help you today?
9:40:53 PM [email protected]
I would like to know if when selling cosmetics...is it okay to sell used cosmetics if listed as such
9:43:50 PM Ray M.
As what I know Stella, it is not allowed in eBay.
9:44:08 PM Ray M.
But for you to make sure, I would suggest to contact our Listing Policy team in regards to this.
9:44:33 PM Ray M.
For them to give you instructions and complete information about prohibited items on eBay.
9:44:42 PM Ray M.
Would that be alright?
9:44:43 PM [email protected]
ok, so makeup is not allowed to be sold as used, only new? DO you know why that is, when we can sell other items as used?
9:44:54 PM [email protected]
ok
9:46:16 PM [email protected]
thanks
9:46:42 PM Ray M.
I'm sorry but our Listing Policy team are the department who can give you details on this.
9:46:57 PM [email protected]
thank you! b ye

EmbalmerBabe

I would not really care if I were the employee processing the return. Its just mere loose change coming out of a gigantic,wealthy corporations pocket.

Most people keep most of their purchases anyway. I have never gotten an attitude. No body at my MAC counter would even dare, knowing how much I have blown there!Haha...
I don't return often, only if I really hate it. Like the 2006 holiday brush set that was just plain sub-par. I got all full sized brushes instead.
Some people do abuse liberal return policies which is a shame because they may ruin it for us someday..
If you try something a few times and it sucks you should know then and there,not until its all most empty or all gone. That is just tacky.

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by christineeee_
i bought the 217 brush again cuz i forgot that i already had it so i have to go return it. they don't toss those away do they? cuz i'd feel really bad if they did. i didn't even open it, it's still in it's plastic sleeve.

returned brushes are made into testers for our brushbelts.

BRosa

The way I see this is really simple: As with any other high priced-high quality brand, I think I am entitled to get the best product. If I buy something because the MA talked me into it and then I go home and don´t like it, I expect that when I return it, I will be treated with the same respect and joy as when they were selling me the product (and I do treat people with respect).
yes.gif

Even if the MA didn´t help me, if I just went to the counter/store and bought something, I should feel confident that I can return it if I don´t like it later (after all, they tell me I have 30 days to return it) and I will be treated okay.

Why should I feel bad, or the MA has to make me feel terrible, when for my part I have to go all the way back to the store to return it, spending time that I probably don´t have? The job is not only to sell, but to satisfy the customer, leave us so happy we will gladly return to the store many more times in the future. I can understand they made a mistake on recommending a product, but I cannot accept bad attitudes.
th_stormy.gif
th_dunno.gif

In my experience I´ve never returned products, I´ve exchanged the ones I don´t like. Once I was treated super cool, the other not so great (I bought a brush, the 209, the MA put it on the bag --I didn´t check it on the store. When I got home, I saw it was all stained in the metal part, terrible. I ran back to the store --spending time I did not have-- and the lady just looked at me as if I´ve done something to the brush. I was so shocked. I´ve been buying my brushes online since then).

But yes, I completely understand the MA´s being angry with customer who go around the minimum purchase rule, that´s just plain cheating and stealing.
getyou.gif

lah_knee

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbalmerBabe
I would not really care if I were the employee processing the return. Its just mere loose change coming out of a gigantic,wealthy corporations pocket.

Most people keep most of their purchases anyway. I have never gotten an attitude. No body at my MAC counter would even dare, knowing how much I have blown there!Haha...
I don't return often, only if I really hate it. Like the 2006 holiday brush set that was just plain sub-par. I got all full sized brushes instead.
Some people do abuse liberal return policies which is a shame because they may ruin it for us someday..
If you try something a few times and it sucks you should know then and there,not until its all most empty or all gone. That is just tacky.

its not about loose change coming out of a big corporations pocket. i could care less about that. its more the fact that we spend the time picking colors out, trying things on, and educating our customers. i try to demo every product on everyone so that they feel comfortable with it. sometimes i do get those ones that refuse to try it on and that sucks cuz more than likely it will be returned. what puzzles me is when people try things, love it and then come back and return it.

case and point today, i got a 60 dollar return and a co worker processed it for me because i wasnt there yet. i remember the woman too. she tried on an eyeliner, a lipliner and a lipstick and loved them all. when she was returning it, my co worker was investigating asking if she wasnt happy with the products and she said she didnt like them and that a friend told her mac is too heavy for everyday wear (i hate when people say that BTW) and so my co worker informed her that was false and tried to educate her but the woman snapped and said "will you just stop asking questions and do the return" .... how rude.

i also hate when girls get their makeup done on a weekend when its a 50 dollar minimum and they return it the next day/week/whatever. RUDE. we arent charging a fee, we just ask that you buy some makeup! not even, you can get wipes or skincare! today a girl returned $325 of makeup she bought when she got her makeup done. she placed the big bag on the counter and said quite nonchalantly, "i want to return this... i have all this at home already" UM REALLY?
it sucks cuz the poor guy that did her makeup and sold it to her was -$325 when he came to work.

erine1881

if someone has a return, most of the time it is a genuine return or exchange. i have no problem with that. its when they:
-return product that was required for a makeup appt.
-return stuff that is more than 1/4 used. you don't use more than 1/4 of a product in a week, and you don't need longer than that to know if it works for you or not.
-return product from a collection that came out months ago. again, you really only need a week. not 3 months.

again, most returns i'm cool with, and can usually make them into an exchange.

btw, don't say that an MA talked you into buying a product. own up to the fact that you can't stand your ground and not buy something you don't want. if they suggest something and you aren't feeling it, don't buy it. someone can shove a product down my throat all they want. if i don't like/want/need, i don't buy it.

liv

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
again, most returns i'm cool with, and can usually make them into an exchange.

btw, don't say that an MA talked you into buying a product. own up to the fact that you can't stand your ground and not buy something you don't want. if they suggest something and you aren't feeling it, don't buy it. someone can shove a product down my throat all they want. if i don't like/want/need, i don't buy it.

I agree, if I do need to return anything, I'll most likely end up just getting something else, that way the MA doesn't lose the sale, and I am not stuck with something that I don't want/like/need.

I disagree, I have a relative that I tell not to go to the makeup counter without me or someone else, because she is so intimidated by the MA (she doesn't know a lot about makeup, and doesn't have a lot of confidence about knowing what suits her), so she has been strongly pushed to buy things that she realized when she got home didn't have any use for. I understand that it is the customer's job to TELL the MA what they want when they request a makeover/advice, but if you aren't really sure, it's easy to be overwhelmed with all the product they push in a single makeup application (even though this is what they are supposed to do to reach their goal). In one eye makeover alone, the MA used on me an under eye cream, one Paint, one Shadestick, 4 shadows, 2 liners, and 1 mascara, and they can make it seem as if you need it ALL.

Latest posts