Do MAC MA's REALLY hate it when we return things?

SnowWhiteQueen

I hate when people return things like eyeshadows. You can tell whether or not you like it when you buy it, it is just based on the dang colour! I have no problem doing returns for stuff that broke people out, gave them reactions, etc. But "I didn't like the colour" just makes me crazy. Also, make up artists don't force people into buying anything. We also get a lot of "the MA made me buy it and I didn't even want it". Sorry hon, she doesn't own your wallet. You don't have to buy anything if you don't want to!!! Get a grip on yourself!

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhiteQueen
I hate when people return things like eyeshadows. You can tell whether or not you like it when you buy it, it is just based on the dang colour! I have no problem doing returns for stuff that broke people out, gave them reactions, etc. But "I didn't like the colour" just makes me crazy. Also, make up artists don't force people into buying anything. We also get a lot of "the MA made me buy it and I didn't even want it". Sorry hon, she doesn't own your wallet. You don't have to buy anything if you don't want to!!! Get a grip on yourself!

exactly! if you didn't like the color in the first place, why'd you buy it? and the only person i make do anything is myself. i have no control over anyone else.

aziajs

You all are absolutely right. No one can MAKE you purchase anything. They can, HOWEVER, give the hard sell and pressure the hell out of you. I think most people have fallen prey to that at some point or another in some retail situtation. You really do have to learn to say no and be comfortable saying no, which a lot of people are not. I have to do it all the time and even when the MA or sales associate walks away pissed or has an attitude or hovers over me I feel good about telling them no. The reality is that if I don't want it, I don't want it.

Paramnesia

Yeah it's understandable if something makes you breakout but picking the wrong e/s colour is your own fault. I bought family silver e/s duo and hate it but I still wont return it. I didn't realise the sparkles would go EVERYWHERE.

jdepp_84

Some MA's have seem kind of snobbish, but others are real nice about it
smiles.gif
I guess it just depends who you get.

labellavita7

Here is something I felt bad about, but it was legitimate.

At Sephora a couple weeks ago, they were doing complementary Stila makeovers, so a friend and I decided to get them done. Afterwards I purchased the sun gel that she used. The next day, I used the sun gel exactly where she did, just like she did, and it looked great, but after a couple days I started getting acne directly where I used the sun gel. My skin is not acne prone at all, in fact, I can count the pimples I've had on one hand. Since this was the only new product I've used in ages, it had to be it, so I had to return it for making me break out. I felt bad since I bought it after the makeover, but I can't keep something that caused my skin to go nuts, you know? The sales girl there gave me the worst attitude, but I never return things, and it was for a legitimate reason.

I feel bad still lol

FantaZ

I didn't know they toss returns until now but a few months back I SWEAR I bought a returned item. It said so on the receipt and that is how I knew it was returned. I wonder if I still have the receipt... It didn't look used at all so I kept it.

I'm feeling a little guilty that I'm going to have to return a moisture foundation since I had a makeover this weekend. I'm allergic to certain sunscreens/sunblocks because within an hour of the makeover I was scratching my face and eyes off. My purchase with the foundation returned is still way over the minimum purchase so I don't feel too guilty. I need to cool down on my hauling!

Kalico

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
btw, don't say that an MA talked you into buying a product. own up to the fact that you can't stand your ground and not buy something you don't want. if they suggest something and you aren't feeling it, don't buy it. someone can shove a product down my throat all they want. if i don't like/want/need, i don't buy it.

Well, my second post explains my feelings on this.

pumpkincat210

I don't think MA's should have to care when you return something. If the MA's have to fill out a bunch of paperwork/stay after hours or miss helping customers that is wrong on mac's part. They shouldn't make it to where ma's have to have a certain quota to work for mac or they should have other factors whether or not to keep you employed with them. In the end it turns the customer off if she/he feels like they were doing something wrong by returning something. This is excluding the people that consistently abuse their return policy.

ETA: I've never had a problem returning anything.

Kalico

Well, when it comes down to it... I think it's about customer service. I've worked in retail a stupidly long time, and yeah - wasted product really sucks, so does losing out on sales, but come on. Manners? People realize all the time that something doesn't look good on them after they've bought it. It's not the end of the world. And not everyone is abusing the system just because they don't have an allergic reaction.

Like I said, this is NOT a regular thing!

silentkite

Living in Australia, I find it hard to get my head around the concept of returning makeup. Here you can only return if there is something wrong with it, or you have a reaction. You can't return something that has been used just because you change your mind about it.

ndn-ista

I heard when you return MAC items, they sanitize it and use those products as testers at the counter.

iiifugaziii

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndn-ista
I heard when you return MAC items, they sanitize it and use those products as testers at the counter.

Ew!! no. they're not allowed to do that. and if they are, they should get a talkin' to.

when a mac item is returned, it needs to be sent back in order for them to track their returns/inventory better. it's very important towards the end of the year when inventory comes around. counter managers can get in trouble if their %'s are super high in loss! and that usually comes from damages not being properly scanned/put in the 'damages' bin (and tester boxes).

They don't throw the damages away, but always put them in a damage bin, and sometimes it can be behind the registers and look like a trash can.

ritchieramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraAmericana
9:40:53 PM [email protected]
I would like to know if when selling cosmetics...is it okay to sell used cosmetics if listed as such
9:43:50 PM Ray M.
As what I know Stella, it is not allowed in eBay.

I appreciate the effort you've gone to with this, but there is a clear difference between what is prohibited on the UK site (prohibited UK items) and what is prohibited on the US site (prohibited US items).

Used cosmetics can be sold on the UK site; I am in the UK, selling within the UK. As you're in the US, I'm assuming that you're using ebay.com and therefore speaking to a US eBay representative whose responses will be based on the US site policies.

maclove1

for any one who crys about me returning something i payed for will get it trowed back in their face,do your job and dont bitch at us for wanting our well earned money back

but for the people who buys a ton and return it used i dont agree with that at all.

id like to add i never had some one be rude when i return a item at any store .

little teaser

i dont return things often but when i do need to, i have no guilt in doing so.
i dont like the third degree as to "why" im returning it, there the ones that make the rules with there return policy,if you dont like it then change it, being rude to the customer isnt going to make it better

Miss_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentkite
Living in Australia, I find it hard to get my head around the concept of returning makeup. Here you can only return if there is something wrong with it, or you have a reaction. You can't return something that has been used just because you change your mind about it.

I live in the Netherlands and we don't have a return policy for used make-up/skincare either, so I'm pretty picky when it comes to buying make-up, especially foundation. I always find it very peculiar how easy people in the U.S. can return used items, you don't return used underwear either, do you ?

What really sets me off is the fact that, even though we don't have a return policy in most European countries, make-up is still over twice as expensive as in the U.S. It's like we Euro (and Aussie) girls are getting punished for the fact that other people (can) return a lot of used make-up items.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_M
I live in the Netherlands and we don't have a return policy for used make-up/skincare either, so I'm pretty picky when it comes to buying make-up, especially foundation. I always find it very peculiar how easy people in the U.S. can return used items, you don't return used underwear either, do you ?

What really sets me off is the fact that, even though we don't have a return policy in most European countries, make-up is still over twice as expensive as in the U.S. It's like we Euro (and Aussie) girls are getting punished for the fact that other people (can) return a lot of used make-up items.

Sadly, you can return underwear if it still has the tag with it at some places. I've seen people do it. Always wash your underwear before you wear it!

I think a good company should refund/exchange items.

Other countries aren't totally getting punished though.
I know makeup is expensive in other countries, but our dollar is weak right now, so you have to factor that in. What seems like a good deal really isn't that great to us because inflation is a problem. Now if you came to the U.S. and used your money you'd be able to get a lot of stuff. To other countries where the dollar is stronger, the U.S. is on sale. If you watch our economic news we are about or already in a recession, people are losing their homes because of the mortgage crisis and decent jobs that cover basic necessities are increasingly hard to get. I could easily go on about it. The middle class is going away and many are getting to the point where having a bit of makeup is just a dream. I know we've cut back on buying things and we have put off taking a vacation because it's too expensive to go anywhere. Gas prices are so high and we don't have public transportation that is great here. Everything is so spread out you have to have a car to do anything unless you live in the city.
Sorry for my little rant, but it's not so easy over here right now.

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclove1
for any one who crys about me returning something i payed for will get it trowed back in their face,do your job and dont bitch at us for wanting our well earned money back

Man, I'd hate to have you as a customer. Who needs that sort of aggression?

Latest posts