E.L.F Cosmetics

Jumping Mice

Does anyone know what happened to the eyelash curlers on the website? I'm really lusting for the half curler because I have MAC's demi-curler and love it but I would like to try out the one by Elf. Whenever I go to Target I always check to see if it's there but they only have the regular curler. I saw it once at TJ Maxx but the box was empty and there were no more. I've also seen it on Amazon but they sell it in packs or they jack up the price that doesn't even include shipping. It's like we're not meant to be! :( I have no idea if Elf just changed the names or discontinued the shades of some glosses, but they used to have these minty Studio glosses in skinny tubes all named after cities. I still have New York City (my favorite) and Los Angeles. I actually liked these because the formula wasn't thick at all or goop up when I opened my mouth like the squeeze tube glosses or the glittery ones in the chunky tubes. Did anyone else like them? I've been really good about staying on the wagon and not spending money on products I don't need more of but on my list to try is the Studio baked highlighter in Moonlight Pearls. It looks so pretty, does anyone on here like the baked highlighters? I know they're only $3 but I need to get through TWO of Benefit's High Beam* before binging again. The good thing is I'm using them up quickly! I haven't bought anything from Elf in such a long time, the last thing I bought was the small duo-fiber brush and I'm also lusting for the duo-fiber mini brush set because duo-fibers are my favorite type of brushes. I've only really ever used their older eye and lip products and very few of the pressed face products. What other products do you all recommend? *I'm sure some of you already know this but Boots has a highlighter that's a dead-on dupe for High Beam but for half the price and twice the size! Alright, mini comparison review. I know Elf's Studio flat top brush is a fan favorite and every makeup ho has it or has at least heard of it. But I thought I'd take the time to inform any Stila fans anyway that Elf's brush is a much better choice compared to Stila's less popular #21 goat hair brush. I have both. I've had the Elf one for about four years and the Stila one for about two. Guess which one has held up best? The Stila brush was $45 and about a year after I bought it, the ferrule started becoming loose. It's worth noting that I didn't even use it that much and a bit of the paint near the ferrule chipped too. I bought brush guards and slipped one on the Stila brush. Several hairs became frayed even though I never put the brush in my bag or man-handled it. My Elf brush on the other hand regularly gets thrown in my purse because I use it all the time. The ferrule has held up and it has not shed even through the abuse and regular washes (The Stila brush does shed a few hairs during washes). Elf's synthetic Taklon fibers are just as soft as the fine goat hair and both brushes perform basically the same. I like that the Stila brush's hairs are shorter and feel slightly more dense and that the brush itself is also shorter and chunkier (it just looks sexier), but that's really just a personal preference. After using both, I still prefer the Elf brush. Stila is one of my favorite brands and I have several of their brushes which are nice, but I've gotten to the point where I've come to realize that unless an expensive brush is unique in design/function, they are hardly ever worth the money. Partly because I feel like natural hair brushes fray more easily and they need to be cleaned more frequently, which is why I tend to neglect mine. Even expensive synthetic brushes aren't necessarily better either, there are plenty of synthetic drugstore brushes now of comparable quality. I know Elf is sometimes Hit or Miss, but I don't think you can go wrong taking a chance on a $3 brush versus a $45 brush that basically functions the same.

tamikajodha

I LOVE elf's glitter primer. It's SO much better than the Too Faced Glitter Primer & it's so much more affordable.
cheerleader.gif

nasquiat

Alright, mini comparison review. I know Elf's Studio flat top brush is a fan favorite and every makeup ho has it or has at least heard of it. But I thought I'd take the time to inform any Stila fans anyway that Elf's brush is a much better choice compared to Stila's less popular #21 goat hair brush. I have both. I've had the Elf one for about four years and the Stila one for about two. Guess which one has held up best? The Stila brush was $45 and about a year after I bought it, the ferrule started becoming loose. It's worth noting that I didn't even use it that much and a bit of the paint near the ferrule chipped too. I bought brush guards and slipped one on the Stila brush. Several hairs became frayed even though I never put the brush in my bag or man-handled it. My Elf brush on the other hand regularly gets thrown in my purse because I use it all the time. The ferrule has held up and it has not shed even through the abuse and regular washes (The Stila brush does shed a few hairs during washes). Elf's synthetic Taklon fibers are just as soft as the fine goat hair and both brushes perform basically the same. I like that the Stila brush's hairs are shorter and feel slightly more dense and that the brush itself is also shorter and chunkier (it just looks sexier), but that's really just a personal preference. After using both, I still prefer the Elf brush. Stila is one of my favorite brands and I have several of their brushes which are nice, but I've gotten to the point where I've come to realize that unless an expensive brush is unique in design/function, they are hardly ever worth the money. Partly because I feel like natural hair brushes fray more easily and they need to be cleaned more frequently, which is why I tend to neglect mine. Even expensive synthetic brushes aren't necessarily better either, there are plenty of synthetic drugstore brushes now of comparable quality. I know Elf is sometimes Hit or Miss, but I don't think you can go wrong taking a chance on a $3 brush versus a $45 brush that basically functions the same.
to think I read all of this, haha! I agree with the Studio Flat Top Brush. I had mine almost 3 yrs now and it has never shedded, the paint hasn't peeled off, nothing! It's my FAVORITE brush!

And the shimmering whip for $1.00 is a dupe for Benefit Highbeam. I bought like 3 and it is pure love.

ohmissdee

So I have purchased a few things from E.L.F and came out with a few favorites!

The setting spray
The HD loose powder
Brush shampoo

I purchased a couple different lipsticks but found out that they go on quite sheer. I also purchased the liquid lipstick and they were only okay. They were slightly sticky but at least the colors were opaque.

ohmissdee

Oh! Their makeup are good for the price you pay. I actually love the eyeliner brush! I use it to apply Blacklash and it does the job. With their bigger brushes, I noticed that hairs tend to fall out. The brushes are all quite soft and for $5 and under you really can't beat that price.

ponderful

I am super fond ofELF Fuchsia Fusion blush, it is very flattering on my NC30/35 skin. But Candid Coral didn't ever seem that pigmented to me. It was just shimmer on my cheeks unless I pressed into the pan real hard :/

ELF can be very hit or miss, from what I've heard. Their regular brushes with the white handles aren't that great, though I've used their concealer brush for acetone spot clean-up with nail polish. I misplaced that brush though but am trying to find it. If I can't find it, at least the concealer brush was only $1.

saralyn

ELF products I own:
-Lash curler
-Blush brush
-Flat powder brush
-Eyeshadow crease brush
-Bent eyeliner brush
(^All the black handles, $3)
-Blush/bronzer duo

All the ELF products I own are impressive. The brushes are very soft! My only gripe with it is that the brush falls off of the handle... nothing a little glue can't fix? I'm just lazy lol. But the brushes that get the most use for me is the flat powder brush, lash curler and eyeliner brush. If I were to recommend any brush, it would def be those three. The blush brush is too small for my liking, and the eyeshadow crease brush doesn't really pick up a lot of color as I would like. As for the blush/bronzer duo (very similar to NARS), I only use the bronzer. The blush doesn't look too good on me, but the bronzer is perfect for warming up my face.

Jumping Mice

I have sort of the same issue with some of the Studio eye brushes. I have the flat shader brush, the contour brush, the pencil brush, and the angled liner brush (which I like). The flat shader brush is a little too big for my eyelid but my problem with it is that it doesn't pick up eyeshadow or pigments as well as other synthetic brushes I own. For patting on eyeshadow, I prefer brushes that are a tiny bit "rough" and not too dense. I feel like maybe it could be the Studio brush's density and stiffness that somehow causes it to deposit less color. I mean, it loosens powder just fine but it won't pick it up very well. I believe Real Techniques' brushes are also made of the same fiber (Taklon) as are many other synthetic brushes, yet I don't have the same issue because the flat eye brushes aren't dense even if they are just as soft. As for the other Studio eye brushes I own, I tend to neglect them too simply because they are for more precise application/blending and I prefer to really diffuse my always smokey eye makeup, so the shape and density of the brushes don't work for me personally. Besides, the times I have used them I've felt like I had to work more at getting my look right. I haven't tried any of the $1 brushes except for the flat shader brush and some from an old holiday set which have black handles and brown fibers. I do really like those because they pick up color and deposit it quickly and effectively.

Lipstickjunkii

The ELF powder brush is what I use to apply my MAC MSF. Love it Also love the blush brush, the small stippling brush, the angled eyeliner brush. Love 'em all. My Target just expanded their collection so I picked up the HD loose powder, the new concealer brush, and 2 of the HD blushes in Showstopper and Superstar. I don't know what I was thinking when I got Showstopper. It's so hard to work with, and even with the tiniest dot on a stippling brush or my finger, it's still too much.

unraveling

I am a fan of the transparent HD loose powder, mineralized blushes, the newer paint pot thingys, the makeup wipes & the lip exfoliator. I also love their studio blush brush.

Jumping Mice

Hey all, I just thought I'd share swatches of the bronzer from the Little Mermaid collection, it's called "Surf's Up". I contour but don't ever wear bronzer. I only bought this for the packaging so I don't know how it compares in terms of quality or color to Elf's other bronzers. The bronzer is only $5 but I wouldn't say it's a must-have unless you just want it for the packaging like me. I purchased mine from Drugstore.com. You can also get it directly from Walgreen's website if you don't want to go the store. The bronzer is a light/warm brown with golden shimmer. The shimmer (arguably glitter) is a little chunky but it goes on even. The shimmer does disperse a bit when swatched so I think it will be more noticeable if it's blended out too much. I went over the swatch on the left with a damp brush and the one on the right is dry. I took two photos to show the bronzer's shimmer and dimension. I'm not really a neutral shimmer kind of gal, but I think it would be really pretty as eyeshadow (applied wet) especially if your skin is really close to the tan shade of the bronzer. The artwork is beautiful!
(Click for a better look)
Has anyone picked up anything from the collection or from the 50% off sale recently? Please share! I bought mostly tools but no makeup. I'm condensing my makeup collection so I must live vicariously through you all for a while. :)