Freelancing for MAC

SarahC0612

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImMACnificent
I have been doing freelance make up for over a year now working independently with models, photographers, group photoshoots, etc. I had a decent portfolio built up already.

I contacted the regional recruiter in my area by email asking if they had any positions available. She asked for my resume and portfolio. I emailed it to her immediately and got offered a phone interview with her. Right after our phone interview, she offered me a make up demo interview at one of my local counters. I had the group demo interview on the 22nd and got a call on July 2nd from my original interviewer that I got the job. I am now waiting for a call from my local freelance coordinator for paperwork.

I hope I can make it on permanently.
smiles.gif

Did you get a call from Kim Flanner? I ask because I am in Cincinnati so we're in the same region... I had my demo on 6/29 and then also got my call on 7/2 from Kim Flanner, who I had my first interview with over the phone. Kim told me that I had made the freelance team and that my local freelance coordinator would be calling to set up a meeting for paperwork. She must have called everyone in the region that was selected all on the same day! Congratulations on making the team, with MUFE under your belt, I am sure you will be promoted to permanent very quickly.

Does anyone out there know about how long it takes for the paperwork to come in from HR? I am getting anxious about it! It's been less than 2 weeks, so I suppose I should settle down, it just feels like an eternity!

ImMACnificent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahC0612
Did you get a call from Kim Flanner? I ask because I am in Cincinnati so we're in the same region... I had my demo on 6/29 and then also got my call on 7/2 from Kim Flanner, who I had my first interview with over the phone. Kim told me that I had made the freelance team and that my local freelance coordinator would be calling to set up a meeting for paperwork. She must have called everyone in the region that was selected all on the same day! Congratulations on making the team, with MUFE under your belt, I am sure you will be promoted to permanent very quickly.

Does anyone out there know about how long it takes for the paperwork to come in from HR? I am getting anxious about it! It's been less than 2 weeks, so I suppose I should settle down, it just feels like an eternity!

I asked you the SAME thing in another thread
smiles.gif
PMing you!

Hi I've been reading a lot of threads about freelancing I was wondering what were the steps once you have been past the interview process, The Manager at my local Counter told me that she asked her "freelancing manager"? I believe thats what she said for her region to send her a "freelancing packet" for me to fill out and turn in does this mean I am hired? It's not an application it's a requested packet. When I first interviewed with her she told me in a very friendly manner that she would want me to work right now! and also that in between this year's Holiday collection she would hire me as a full-time permanent position. I am excited and a little bit scared my process wasn't like the majority and I was wonder if anyone knew the rest of these steps.

aziza

Any MAC freelancers around?

Hi all! I bit the bullet and applied to MAC...lo and behold they hired me on a freelancer in the Orlando area! I'm ecstatic! I just finished my paperwork and I have a few questions.

#1 Can we turn down shifts? Are there consequences if we do so?
#2 Freelancers don't get gratis. So how are we supposed to wear the colors in the new collections? Do they expect us to buy them?
#3 How many hours do you average during the holiday season?

Thanks for your help!

Chrystia

Re: Any MAC freelancers around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziza
Hi all! I bit the bullet and applied to MAC...lo and behold they hired me on a freelancer in the Orlando area! I'm ecstatic! I just finished my paperwork and I have a few questions.

#1 Can we turn down shifts? Are there consequences if we do so?
#2 Freelancers don't get gratis. So how are we supposed to wear the colors in the new collections? Do they expect us to buy them?
#3 How many hours do you average during the holiday season?

Thanks for your help!

1) You can turn down shifts anytime you would like. There isn't any consequence for that. However if you make a habit of saying no, they will eventually stop calling you. Also, always call back and inform them you aren't available. No call back will also stop them from contacting you.

2) You aren't expected to buy anything. You are welcome to use the testers at the stores. Simply arrive early enough to add the colours to your look before your actual starting time.

3) Hours are up to you during the holiday season. Each counter in your area will probably have 3-4 freelancers working eacch weekend day. If you are looking for more hours, I would recommend going out and introducing yourself to the manager/assistant managers of each location you want to work at. Have your number and availability written on a card or paper. Also let your freelance coordinator that you are interested in working more. So when counters call asking for good freelancers, she will mention your name to them.

Sushi~Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandeeNova
how do you go about it? i'm also interested in freelancing for mac, but i don't know where to start. do i just walk in and ask for a job? help?

I applied at a MAC store...I asked for an application and then brought it home to put together my portfolio and type it out. Dress for the position when you go to hand it in, professional ALL black. Make up on point. If all goes well you will get a call back for a demo. Read the forums on here for what to expect, this site was truly an asset to me with all the info and great tips
greengrin.gif
If all goes well with the demo and interview they will call back with either a position as a freelance artist or a possible perm position
smiles.gif
Good luck!

hayleecoleman

Hello fellow makeup friends!
I'm new to Spektra, and this is my first post.
Not only is this my first post, but today is actually my first day of freelancing for MAC! YAY!

I was hired in Tampa, FL back in August, and this is the first day I'm actually working... crazy. I've been waiting for this day for a long time! I'm nervous, but super excited!
Wish me luck :)

Haylee

Soeth23

Hey girl! Which counter are you working at? I work at Tyrone (St. Pete). :) Nice to see someone from the area in specktra. :)

hayleecoleman

Well, I got hired at the counter in Brandon, but I live in Lakeland. For the last 3 days I have been freelancing in Orlando actually! It's been super fun :) I enjoy it and am ready to work permanently now! haha!

Nice to meet you!

aziza

Hey lovelies! I'm actually working in the Central FL area too :) I was hired on as freelance back in September but they never called me for a shift. I was bummed. So I called Pro at the beginning of the year and they got me on the schedule :) I've been working for about a month and a half now. I'm basically permanent on-call at the FL Mall Macy's. I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be fully permanent by May.

Soeth23

Good luck to both of you! :) I was a freelancer and became permanent this past September. I really enjoyed freelacing because I got to meet great artists/people but it's awesome to have a MAC home now. ;)

LadyGina

I was just offered a freelance position with M.A.C this afternoon! I'm so excited, yet nervous at the same time!

Soeth23

I guess it really depends on your situation. When I first started with MAC as a freelancer, I had another job and went to school full-time so it worked for me because I could pick/plan ahead for which shifts I wanted. After I quit my other job I started freelancing a lot more. I would be at different counters for a few weeks a time with steady hours (15-25) so it was like a part-time job. I really loved freelancing because I got to meet so many different people! I also got to experience different clientele from one counter to the next which I think made me more prepared. I started freelancing at a counter that really felt like a MAC home :) so when a position became opened and told my manager I was interested and now I'm perm. I guess my only con, you could say, would be that the discount for the freelancers was not the same. In my area, freelancers used to get 30% off but then it was stopped. Oh, and that freelancers don't go to update! :(

kd0ll

I THANKGOD THAT I STARTED AS A FREELANCER BEFORE BECOMING PERMANENT.... IVE BEEN WITH THE COMPANY SINCE 2009... AND STRATED AS A FREELANCER... NOT SURE HOW IT IS ANYWHERE ELSE...ASSUMING THE SAME... BUT THEY KINDA JUST THROW U IN AND EITHER U SINK OR SWIM TYPE THING! BUT FREELANCING GIVES U A CHANCE TO KNOW WHAT YOUR GETTING INTO AND MORE EXPERIENCE BEFORE YOUR ACTUALLY HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR ANYTHING :)

11o2-MAi

DO MAC freelancers get overtime pay??

I THANKGOD THAT I STARTED AS A FREELANCER BEFORE BECOMING PERMANENT.... IVE BEEN WITH THE COMPANY SINCE 2009... AND STRATED AS A FREELANCER... NOT SURE HOW IT IS ANYWHERE ELSE...ASSUMING THE SAME... BUT THEY KINDA JUST THROW U IN AND EITHER U SINK OR SWIM TYPE THING! BUT FREELANCING GIVES U A CHANCE TO KNOW WHAT YOUR GETTING INTO AND MORE EXPERIENCE BEFORE YOUR ACTUALLY HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR ANYTHING :)

Hello everyone! i was hired as a freelancer for the Time Sqaure Location
in NYC. I was thrilled when i heard my call back and went in to fill out all my paper which
was around august. Still haven't landed a job yet :-( i've called all the mac locations around me and
in Manhattan, and they all pretty much said we are good now for hours. I have no idea what to do?
i need hours... they mentioned to call back next week and see if anyone needs hours for the month of october.
I'm a lil bummed on how freelancers have to really hustle in order to get hours.

paparazziboy

it hard for freelancers i will say that its survival of the fittest and smartest you have to bang down the doors. not all counters are given freelancer hours every month so hours are hard to come by.