Hardcore Mac collectors

PinkBasset

Are there any hc-Mac-collectors here? I wanted to hear some thoughts of the serious collectors.

Do you buy every single item of new collections, regardless if you like the colour or if you have dupes? Or have you done that in the past? Are you aiming to own every permanent Mac eyeshadow/lipstick/pigment etc., or have you met your goal? How long have you been collecting? What whole collections do you have? Do you use the products or do you just keep them BNIB in you collection?

I have never bought a whole limited edition collection, but the idea of doing that interests me. Sometimes I have played with the idea of owning all the permanent eyeshadows, but I guess it's not going to happen because it would be silly to buy the ones I most likely would not care for (like the bad lustres).

laylalovesmac

^I've been wondering about this lately, too. Would love to know more.
yes.gif

peachsuns

Very interesting. There must be some hardcore MAC collectors out there. It seems hard to collect everything, but I think some people have nice collection of pigments, MSF, blushes, and so on.
tong.gif

LMD84

if i was rich enough i'd be a hc collecter! but sadly i'm not. however i do 'collect' pigments. so i have about 80+ now.... i freaking love them! and yes i buy some even if they are similar to another colour i have just because it's a pigment!

Susanne

If I was rich enough I would buy all eyeshadows - perm and LE
winks.gif

But no, I have never bought an entire LE collection.

I just buy those shades and colors which suit me, which I love and which I will wear. Independent from a hype around a product. For example I have passed Marine Life with To The Beach. And I am not a huge fan of neutral collections.

But if I love a shade, I also buy similar colors
yes.gif

Strawberrymold

I wouldn't say I am a hardcore collector (I don't buy things just to have them... I buy them because I like them). Still sometimes I do look at all my stuff and feel like it's a bit out of control. I definitely collect things I like though like MSF's and Pigments. I am curious too to hear if anyone buys whole collections just to own them.

Lyssah

I've brought the entire Starflash collection (2008), and Cool Heat.
It was lots of fun.

I own all permanent eyeshadows (based of the MAC COSMETICS AUSTRALIA SITE) with the exception of about 50 colours (most being lusters and a few satins).

I love eyeshadows and I love collecting them.

pumpkincat210

I used to be several years ago, I added it up and had around $25,000 worth 9sad!... then i realized alot of the colors were very similar so i stopped buying as much. Another bad thing happened recently too.. alot of my lipsticks and lipglosses went bad at the same time and i had to back 2 mac them. I got 5 eyeshadows at the counter!! Sure it's good to get something free out of it, but I really didn't need so many similar colors of a product that doesn't last long in the first place. I really only buy colors I don't have anything similar to or I rebuy my favorites if i run out and i stick to powder products for the most part now.

NotteRequiem

There were only 2 times I nearly bought entire collections.

1. Retroactively buying the McQueen collection. All I'm missing is one lipstick and one gloss.

2. Retroactively buying all of the Matte2's, save for Pen-n-pink, because I reeeeally dislike that color.

IF I had droves of money, I'd buy a lot more than I do now, but not necessarily everything.

Although the entire Maleficent collection in VV will be mine. No joke.

sleepyhead

i guess i'm more of a makeup collector than mac collector. other brands make certain items better than mac (like chanel lip products, MUFE eyeshadows, most other HE foundations) so i try to only buy the things i love. pigment is probably my favorite thing from mac, so i'd never miss any of them. i used to buy every single blush too, but i've been on a "blush + lipgloss rehab" for the last year

LittleMaryJane

I wouldn't mind being able to buy all perm eyeshadows and all LE shadows that come out. I'm a huge shadow whore--by far my favorite kind of makeup to buy! And MAC is my favorite. I don't think there's ever been a shadow I didn't at least sort of like. I only buy the stuff I love because it's easier on my wallet, obviously.

I'm a looooongg way from owning all the perm shadows tho
smiles.gif

PinkBasset

Besides that it's very expensive collecting every LE collection, it's also a storage problem, atleast for me. I think I would buy more if I had more room to keep them in, but I already have so much make up, that pretty much every shelf, traincase, drawer etc. are full. Even here, I'm embarrassed to reveal how much there actually is. Of course it differs people to people, some might faint if they saw it, others would say I beat you easily!
winks.gif

I have yet never liked every product in a collection, but it would be fun to have one. Maybe one of the smaller ones so it wouldn't be too crazy to buy it all.

I have also recently been conserned about lipsticks and glosses going bad. I realized I have to slow down buying them or they will go to waste for sure, unless I give/sell some away first.

And Lyssah - I'm right there with you, about 50 shades lacking (mostly lustres for me too or others I have dupes of) of having all the permanent shadows (quickly looking up from the Mac US site)!
smiles.gif

jmgjwd

I've been buying (collecting
tong.gif
) Mac for about 10 yrs...I've never bought a whole collection but have come close. I do try to avoid colors that I don't think will look good on me. I've recently made a list of my eyeshadows & piggies (248), 120+ lippies, 100+lipglosses, (I've NEVER had any of their lippies/glosses go bad luckily)..30+ blushes, MSFs.....I don't keep the boxes but kinda wish I had when I see all the great storage ideas where people cut the boxes in have to hold their lippies....I wear everything I have (at least once) but I definitely am motivated to buy to enlarge the quantity of my stash...I can't go into that store & buy 'just one thing'.

@ Strawberrymold...I feel the same way..
I would LOVE to see a pic of someone's stash who had every permanent E/S...

peachsuns

I feel same way about the lip products, PinkBasset.
Lately I kinda hesitate buying more lipsticks especially. I already have so many, and I want to finish (if it's possible!) what I have.
yes.gif
I only buy the products I'll use. I guess I am not a collector.
tong.gif

laylalovesmac

^I am half collecting/half buying what I will use. For example, since I love purple lips, I will buy all of MAC's purple lipsticks. But, I wouldn't ever buy a coral lipstick just to have it. You know what I mean? I collect colors, I guess you could say. Usually black and purple and red
tong.gif

peachsuns

^ I know what you mean. Yeah, you could say that I'm collecting pink lipsticks. Pink anything. Collecting colors, yeah, I agree. But still in a small scale.
cutey.gif

BTW, Black, purple, and red sound HOT!
cutey.gif

kaylabella

I wish I could afford to be a hardcore collector! I usually just pick one thing from each collection that I "can't live without" as my grandma would say! haha. Someday I am hoping to own every permanent eyeshadow, but it's going to take a long time, especially since I only have Wedge! haha

laylalovesmac

^^peachsuns: I know
graucho.gif

I went through a phase where I was all about light pink lipsticks. I still wear them, but not so much in fall. The purple is my current phase.
winkiss.gif

Laurie

Hmm.. My goal is to own every perm eyeshadow available in my country.. We don't have THAT much.. I will never be able to own a complete collection because I cannot use ANY mac lip products.. From Prep and Prime to the conditioner to the lipsticks, lipglasses, cremesheen.. Anything, you name it.. If it's a lip product and it's MAC my lips start to peel almost instantly!

Latest posts