I need to loose 30 pounds.

COBI

And this series made me nearly cry the next day when DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) set in... You repeat each exercise 8 times on each side with 0-10 seconds rest between exercises and then 45-60 seconds of rest after completing all of them before you start over; repeating the entire series 3-5 times. I use the barbell and weight when I'm at the gym, but can do it just as effectively with heavier dumbbells when I'm at home. Got it from forums on precisionnutrition.com

YouTube - Amanda Graydon - Corner Press

YouTube - Amanda Graydon - Corner Row

YouTube - Amanda Graydon - Standing See Saw Press

Different person, but exercise from circuit:
YouTube - Bent Over Row (DB Double Arm)

And just for a kick when you're done all the circuits, do this for 20 seconds on each side, resting for 10 seconds, then switch sides, alternate until you complete 4 sets on each side (4 minutes total). Again you can use a regular dumbbell if necessary. I might add that I LOVE art of strength and Anthony Diliglio:
YouTube - Kettlebell getup situp
Anthony does a great job explaining, but the most common error that I have people make in class is pushing the weight forward or across the body. Focus on keeping that arm near the ear and the weight ALWAYS toward the ceiling (and not the wall). Keeping the weight towards the feeling is safer and HARDER. We naturally push it forward or across the body because it makes it easier by taking a lot of work away from the abs; keep it up and the abs work harder. It seems easy for the first minute or so, and then those muscles really start to fatigue.

Sorry for so many videos, but so much easier than trying to explain.
greengrin.gif

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrastea
As an addendum to all the junk I just said, I've been using Arbonne's Figure 8 Go Easy Shake Mix. Since I'm a rep, I can buy it from myself and it seems to curb my cravings pretty well, but it doesn't taste as delicious as Slimfast.
lolz

Thats funny because I actually like the taste of Slimfast too...lol

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindpassion
I feel a bit like a contestant on the biggest loser. My body is SO sore haha. I always wondered if those people were just being complainers but they totally arent - my body is dead. But its good to know that it's progress
smiles.gif

I love that show....I would love to have Bob or Jillian come train me ...their body is so awesome...I once had a lady that was going to train me...and she was fat as heck...I know she may have known her stuff..But hell if you are not fit, toned and in great shape and leading by example why in the heck would I listen to your advice.

TISH1124

No...she hadn't....she was not sloppy fat but just bigger than she should be for a trainer anyway...all trainers that work in the gyms are not certified I found out...they are just employees that know how to operate the equipment...I ws asking her about foods and stuff..she basically said I really have no clue

COBI

Personal Fitness Trainers are not universally regulated meaning that unless a state has specific regulations (which I am not aware of any that do), a personal trainer does not need to have any special training or certifications to sell themselves as a personal trainer legally.

That being said, a PFT that is not certified is also likely to be uninsured. Gyms vary on their requirements for hiring PFTs.

A certification also does not necessarily indicate a good trainer. And in my state as a PFT, I am not supposed to give nutrition advice; to do that and be covered by my state's regulations, you need to be a licensed/registered dietician or nutritionist. I can talk about general information, but I am not supposed to advise you of what your diet should be.

You should always find a PFT that you are comfortable on every level from their knowledge to their methods to their look.

That being said, I will say that I am "heavier than I should be" for a PFT. However, my looks have little to do with my knowledge and ability to train you, and more to do with my own food discipline and willpower. I also am not sloppy fat, and often people are surprised at my weight and clothing size because I dress and present myself in a way that appears smaller (although still not necessarily "fit".)

I understand someone judging a trainer by the way they look, and I can't necessarily fault someone for it, but you may very well miss out on an excellent trainer. Of course, someone trained to show you equipment is not technically a PFT.

It is not uncommon for someone who "appears fit" to struggle and be unable to keep up with me during workouts regardless of the fact that I look less fit than them. I am often stronger and have more cardio endurance.

I have friends, some of whom are literally 80 pounds lighter than me, texting me on an almost daily basis hoping that I'm going to the gym when they are (or to find out when I am going so that they can plan to go then) so that they can work out with me because they know that I provide a kickbutt workout even when just working out with friends.

One time I invited two members to join me during my personal workout with kettlebells; both are extremely fit. One is a regular heavy weight lifter, and the other is someone that does other trainings with me and runs half-marathons. The weight-lifter made it just over 10 minutes before he bailed out because of the intensity. The female made it through the end, but sitting on the floor at the end catching her breath and sweating profusely. And this was only a 24-minute kettlebell session; high-intensity but short.

The gym owner and I will often spend time trying to make each cry "uncle". We'll do one of these high intensity kbell workouts, then take like 5 minute rest before one of us challenges the other to do another round, and we continue this until we are essentially slipping in sweat on the floor.

Sorry for the length... obviously hit close to home as a larger trainer. Anyway, small doesn't equal fit, and overweight doesn't equal bad trainer.
greengrin.gif

I would be afraid of engaging a lazy and disinterested trainer.

TISH1124

If a trainer is going to train me I prefer they be fit....Personal choice on my dollar. Everyone has their own opinion and I respect that...but I know what works for me..and what I look for in a trainer. The trainer I have now is certified and has been doing it for so many years and has earned tons of awards for his programs. Actually he trains a lot of the pro atheletes here in Dallas...and yes he is very fit. He also is a dietician as well....licensed.

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
If a trainer is going to train me I prefer they be fit....Personal choice on my dollar. Everyone has their own opinion and I respect that...but I know what works for me..and what I look for in a trainer. The trainer I have now is certified and has been doing it for so many years and has earned tons of awards for his programs. Actually he trains a lot of the pro atheletes here in Dallas...and yes he is very fit. He also is a dietician as well....licensed.

As I said, I do understand and respect that choice; I was just trying to offer a different viewpoint that it doesn't mean someone isn't able to train successfully.

I am strong and healthy; I just happen to also be heavier than some think a trainer should be.

And in full disclosure, I wouldn't work out with a trainer because that's not personally motivating for me.

TISH1124

^^ Oh I absolutely agree...But those people who are fit and know there stuff are not whom I was referring to...the girl they gave me was 18 overweight and using a cheatsheet for the equipment...That in my book is not a person that needs to train me or anyone else for that matter.

COBI

^^This drives me insane, too. It is the opposite of the what the gym intends: it is a disservice IMHO. It is insulting to the member and presents a very unprofessional representation of the gym. Another thing is not providing anyone with knowledge of the machines during a member's first visit. It's one thing if the new member says "i'm all set", but there should be someone available if a member has a simple equipment question. But the blank stare or "I don't know" shouldn't happen with a routine question.

The other thing that drives me insane is desk staff eating at the check-in desk, especially when someone brings them something like fast food. I'm not trying to tell them what to eat, but I don't think it should ever be acceptable to eat junk food at the front desk of a gym. We sell protein shakes and the like, so I can live with them even eating a salad during a "break" or whatever, but a Big Mac? No way.

A little background on my own discipline (or lack thereof) issues for food: My sister passed away just over 3 years ago from cardiac arrest (at 33yo) due to complications from her 15 year battle with bulimia. Right or wrong, it is her battle and death that keeps me away from pressuring myself too much about food or placing too much emphasis on food, and, in general, I do make good choices. For me to be a smaller size (which I used to be), I need to be very obsessive with my food choices, and I am not comfortable going there now.

TISH1124

Oh yeah they used to do that crap at my old gym all the time...At lunch time they all ate their lunch at the front desk. It was always McDonalds, Burger King etc

Boasorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
I love the sports bras in Walmart that snap in the front...they are so comfy.....Try going to your local Y...my membership is like $15 a month there

here is the walmart sports bra...it is super comfy for the full girly chest...

I think you go up a size like if you wear a 36DD you get a 38 but try them on first .........Walmart.com: Bestform - Women's Plus Sports Bra: Women

Muito obrigada Tish. I wish there was a Walmart in my city(it's raining ahhH!) lol but I'm going to check that out today...
You know, you're like the 12837892372th person to tell me that you only pay $10-$20 a month to go to the Y, I called, and checked out my Y's site, and it said to use the gym, it's about $100 dollars a month!!!!

kdemers1221

Hey ladies,
I too am in the same boat as all of you... trying to lose weight. I'm in a 2 year relationship and being comfortable around my boyfriend has lead to weight gain. He can eat whatever he wants and we live together currently and his food snacking is really tempting.

He is really supportive of my want/need to lose weight and is on the bandwagon with me. We've made a weekly meal calender so no more fighting about whats for dinner. haha. I've been working out 3 days a week at the gym at my school ( the membership is included in my tuition). I do cardio and strength. I'm having a really hard time. So any support is welcome.

I have some tips as well. If people are still wondering about what to eat for breakfast it is recommended that you get at least 8 grams of dietary fiber during breakfast. Fiber is a huge part as it will keep feeling fuller for longer. Its especially helpful for my with classes when I can't always eat a set schedule. The fiber gets me through my morning classes and workout before I can get home and eat lunch. Also... like others have said, water is a huge deal. I eat a lot less when I'm adequately hydrated. Now after drinking so much water, I recognize the symptoms of when I haven't drank enough on a certain day.

Good luck to everyone! : )

cupcake_x

I have nothing really to add other than Good luck!! The other ladies already gave you great advice.

MACLovin

Okay, I've been doing pretty good with the food.. I need to step up the workouts though, because I do pilates and walk my dog a lot so I get exercise, but I need to do some more strenuous activity.

I feel a little slimmer because my clothes are fitting looser (my jeans that were pretty tight are fitting me perfectly, yay!), however I don't own a scale so I can't confirm actual weight loss. I'm actually glad I don't have a scale because I'd probably obsess over the number rather than whether I'm eating healthy and gaining muscle, you know? I would prefer to have one less thing to worry about. I weigh myself probably once every couple weeks when i go to my mom's house so i do have some idea though..

anyways, hope everyone's still kicking butt.. don't give up!
greengrin.gif

blindpassion

Good for you!!! ^

I just finished my work out
smiles.gif
almost an hour on my own, I think I did awesome.

I had to wait until it was late though because its hot up in here!!!

olddcassettes

good work girls.. i just finished reading the entire thread and glad to know im not the only one :) ive lost 10 pounds since march (pretty slow, but hey its something...) i keep at it, im not eating as clean as i started out but still i havent gained anything (or lost..hah) and still stick to my exercise routine, but i wanna pick up on it so i can finally get down to 129...at least! you guys give off great motivational energy
smiles.gif

Latest posts