Identifying fake MAC Pigments ***Guide with photos***

Mis_Prim

Hi everyone,

This thread is a godsend.

I've been a member for ages, but havent posted until now.

I need your expert eyes. I recently brought Mauvement and Fairylite. I just wanted your opinion as to whether there is a possibility these could be counterfeit. I asked the seller about the authenticity of the pigments and she assured me that they are brought from department stores, but even so,I'd rather ask for an valued opinion from here.

My head tells me to not touch Ebay, but I never learn. I can usually tell when I recieve the pigments whether its a fake or not.

NIB MAC MAUVEMENT PIGMENT, OVERRICH TAUPE GOLD PEARL LE - eBay (item 220344418953 end time Jan-20-09 15:16:14 PST)

NIB MAC FAIRY LITE PIGMENT EYE SHADOW, SHIMMERING IVORY - eBay (item 220344411759 end time Jan-20-09 15:01:28 PST)

Thank you !!

panda0410

Impossible to tell from either of those pics - can you post some more detailed photos showing the base of the jar in particular and the box itself?

chocedition

Ok All I have another question. Is it possible for 2 different colors to have the same batch code number on the base of the jar? As in what color or colors would go to this batch code (A17) Sorry for being a pain in the A**.

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocedition
Ok All I have another question. Is it possible for 2 different colors to have the same batch code number on the base of the jar? As in what color or colors would go to this batch code (A17) Sorry for being a pain in the A**.

Yes, it is indeed possible. They do make several colours at the same time thus the batch code. It's just like cookies. You make a batch today, for example 21 Jan 09 would be A19, and a batch next month 21 Feb 09 would be A29. Doesn't matter what DAY they make/made it as long as they list the batch run (A, B or C), month and year of production. Hope that makes sense!

I wonder how they're gonna do year 2010 batch. Mighty curious!
smiles.gif

chocedition

ok thanks. I just was looking thru my piggys and noticed that my helium and viz_a-Violet had the same batch numbers so made me curiuos enuff to ask. For 2010 they might indeed come up something funky just to throw us a loop.

1165Cheryl

Another update, lol I've been real busy latley as you can probably tell. Here are some things from this last MacPro order, all pigments. 3 neon colors made in 2008 the box's had no "crimps" where 2 other 2008 neons did. On 3 different colors the clear sticker on jar was 1/2 falling off. Kitchmas came with no insert, loose lid (pigment was every where) and the lid didnt "fit" right. Got 2 acid orange, one was 2006 and the batch font on box was much thicker & clear sticker on jar was very loose. Emerald greens 2006 box batch # font real thick and 1 of the tops didnt "sit" right, other one font normal/thinner and lid sat smooth. I got 2 grapes both from 2006 but one font thick and one was normal (on batch # on box). Also on one, the "grape" sticker on top of the box is hanging off the right side. 2 Deep Purples, 1 made in late 2007 and in 2008 box's were made without crimps.

This should be the last "update" for the next month or so.

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocedition
ok thanks. I just was looking thru my piggys and noticed that my helium and viz_a-Violet had the same batch numbers so made me curiuos enuff to ask. For 2010 they might indeed come up something funky just to throw us a loop.

Helium and Viz-a-Violet were also from the same collection (Balloonacy) so that isnt surprising
winks.gif

Mis_Prim

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
Impossible to tell from either of those pics - can you post some more detailed photos showing the base of the jar in particular and the box itself?

Thanks. I think its impossible too. I havent recieved them yet, I will post a picture when I do. I e-mailed the seller about a million times and she assured me they were authentic from the department store...we'll se if they're fake or not. Thanks again.

1165Cheryl

Quote:
Yep, sure!! the boxes and base stickers dont look off to me either, simply stating that I have never seen jars like this before OR shiny lids on any old pigment. My very first Green pigment jar was from a very similar batch code to this one and it definitely had a matte lid and cerntral aligned text similar to what we have already seen - I'm sorry but I B2M that one quite a long time ago
winks.gif
None the less, I will post some pics of my own shortly.

I know this is a old post but I just now read it. I also have many old rare glitters and pigments. I too got rid of my old green jar with the black sticker, lol since I had another. Out of all my old jars only 1 has a semi shiny lid and thats my 2nd green pigment jar, the 1st I remember did not. It's not shiny like the fakes and the top is basically matte, mainly just the sides has some shine. I have 2001 pink glitter, red glitter like yours and others, pretty much the same colors as in your picture. I keep a jar of each of my real old rares and then a few of each year along with all of my stock to compare any incoming rares I find. My dang cat knocked over my Turquoise jar under my huge bathroom cabinet, thankfully I dont wear that one much, lol, the cabinet is too large and heavy to move so it's stuck for now. I cant tell you how many in my personal stock she's done that too. Usually it's my personal small sample's she get to before I get done with my makeup but she got that one and one of my coco beach's jars. My stock I sell is in a closed secured cabinet in a different room that she cant get to
yes.gif
Anyway, lol I wanted to reply to the old jars post's on page 4.

syrene78

Thanks for this thread!
I have a question though. Some of the jars that I got at MAC stores can be different, even though the pigment was made at the same time.
So this confused me a little bit...
Don't you think that there are irregularitied sometimes in the production?
Nothing is perfect and, as a stamp collector, I can tell you that very often I see some irregularites that the production missed.
They just can't have it 100% right all the time.
Also, I have noticed that I have 2 different Pink Vivid pigments in colors. I am sure that I only purchased these at the MAC Pro store.
Couldn't MAC has changed the color over time?
I noticed some difference in a red glitter once at the MAC Pro and asked the MA. She said that it was because it was an older batch and that MAC often gets different producer/maker over time. It wasn't the older thicker glitter that got changed into the thinner one for safety. It had the same constitency, just a small difference in color.
Same with the case of Kitchmas that we have seen in many different versions over time.
I also want to check if 2 BNIB jars of Softwashed and Quietly are real.
I got them on Ebay (as opposed to the ones that I got from a CP from a friend in Singapore) and could swear that they are real but the print on the box is darker. Does this automatically mean that they are fake?
I hope not as these are some of my favorite pigments!
Thanks for your input!

syrene78

I also noticed a new seller on Ebay and was thinking of getting some piggies but the prices are soo good that it makes me nervous and suspicious.
The seller is mommroxx and the items:
-Apricot Pink:
MACS Eyeshadow Pigment 'APRICOT PINK' Boxed - eBay (item 110336698696 end time Feb-10-09 10:53:37 PST)
No batch number on the box but real bacth number on the pigment jar as the seller told me.
Can the piggy not have a batch number on the box?

-Mauvement:
MACS Eyeshadow Pigment 'MAUVEMENT' Boxed - eBay (item 110334938139 end time Mar-07-09 20:44:23 PST)
Both batch numbers are on the box and the jar.

Thanks!

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrene78
Thanks for this thread!
I have a question though. Some of the jars that I got at MAC stores can be different, even though the pigment was made at the same time.
So this confused me a little bit...
Don't you think that there are irregularitied sometimes in the production? Yes there are, we know of many irregularities in authentic pigments
Nothing is perfect and, as a stamp collector, I can tell you that very often I see some irregularites that the production missed.
They just can't have it 100% right all the time.
Also, I have noticed that I have 2 different Pink Vivid pigments in colors. I am sure that I only purchased these at the MAC Pro store. Me too - I also have both Pink Vivids and BOTH of mine came directly from an MA & Pro Store.
Couldn't MAC has changed the color over time?
I noticed some difference in a red glitter once at the MAC Pro and asked the MA. She said that it was because it was an older batch and that MAC often gets different producer/maker over time. It wasn't the older thicker glitter that got changed into the thinner one for safety. It had the same constitency, just a small difference in color.
Same with the case of Kitchmas that we have seen in many different versions over time.
I also want to check if 2 BNIB jars of Softwashed and Quietly are real.
I got them on Ebay (as opposed to the ones that I got from a CP from a friend in Singapore) and could swear that they are real but the print on the box is darker. Does this automatically mean that they are fake?
I hope not as these are some of my favorite pigments!
Thanks for your input!

POst some pics for us sweetie - we will be better able to help you then
smiles.gif

Quote:
I also noticed a new seller on Ebay and was thinking of getting some piggies but the prices are soo good that it makes me nervous and suspicious.
The seller is mommroxx and the items:
-Apricot Pink:
MACS Eyeshadow Pigment 'APRICOT PINK' Boxed - eBay (item 110336698696 end time Feb-10-09 10:53:37 PST)
No batch number on the box but real bacth number on the pigment jar as the seller told me.
Can the piggy not have a batch number on the box?

-Mauvement:
MACS Eyeshadow Pigment 'MAUVEMENT' Boxed - eBay (item 110334938139 end time Mar-07-09 20:44:23 PST)
Both batch numbers are on the box and the jar.

Thanks!

mommroxx is selling fakes - I have seen one of her Lovely Lily pigments in detail and several others - they are counterfeit pigments.

BellaItalia1969

Xqueeze_me,this is such a fab post!Thank you,thank you
smiles.gif
I can spread this info around in educating my sisters,family members and workmates about what to look for in fake MAC etc.There was one very valid point which several of my mates got caught on...they bought MAC pigments...on eBay,looked very,very genuine apart from 1 small bit which you mentioned..box has *MADE IN USA* jar has *MADE IN/FABRIQUE AU CANADA*we binned few of them but I kept one and will post a photo later .Thanks again we wouldnt be any wiser if it wasn't for our info.

syrene78

Quote:
POst some pics for us sweetie - we will be better able to help you then
smiles.gif

mommroxx is selling fakes - I have seen one of her Lovely Lily pigments in detail and several others - they are counterfeit pigments.

Thanks!
smiles.gif

To get pictures from my other piggies is going to take me a while as I need to go through them and find the 2 different Pink Vivid in my sterilite.

As far as the Quietly, I checked and the box is ok.
I swatched both Quietly and Softwahed pigments and compared them to the genuine ones that I have and they are exactly the same. Same batch numbers and the jars seem geniune to me.
Only the box from Softwashed is weird looking in terms of colors and the bar code seem to have been replaced. The box seem as if it got wet and I accidentally dropped some water on the pigment name on the box and it got erased.
th_confused_new.gif

The color and texture of the pigment are identical to my other Softwashed though and the jar seem 100% original too. Can the box only be a fake or a bad production?

I also wanted to know about a Dazzleray pigment that I might want to swap for.
The name on the sticker under the jar is written: Dazzle Ray, 2 different lines. It is different from one that I bought in store and is called Dazzleray in one word. Same bacth number though.
Is it a fake?
I am confused!

panda0410

Quote:
Thanks!
smiles.gif

To get pictures from my other piggies is going to take me a while as I need to go through them and find the 2 different Pink Vivid in my sterilite. I think I still have pics of mine as well, I did a few compariosn pics a while ago - will have a look and post them later
winks.gif
I am not stressed over mine because I know both jars are authentic - I know where mine came from
smiles.gif

As far as the Quietly, I checked and the box is ok.
I swatched both Quietly and Softwahed pigments and compared them to the genuine ones that I have and they are exactly the same. Same batch numbers and the jars seem geniune to me.
Only the box from Softwashed is weird looking in terms of colors and the bar code seem to have been replaced. The box seem as if it got wet and I accidentally dropped some water on the pigment name on the box and it got erased.
th_confused_new.gif
I dont know?? It might have been damaged, it happens sometimes. Maybe there was another store sticker over it?? I had one from Singapore with the EL Company sticker over the barcode on the bottom and part of it had peeled away
The color and texture of the pigment are identical to my other Softwashed though and the jar seem 100% original too. Can the box only be a fake or a bad production?

I also wanted to know about a Dazzleray pigment that I might want to swap for.
The name on the sticker under the jar is written: Dazzle Ray, 2 different lines. It is different from one that I bought in store and is called Dazzleray in one word. Same bacth number though. This actually IS right - funnily enough I had both of the very same jars you are talking about as well and BOTH are REAL - well mine were anyway and mine both came from the same CCO store.
Is it a fake?
I am confused!

I will keep an eye for your pics later
smiles.gif

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaItalia1969
Xqueeze_me,this is such a fab post!Thank you,thank you
smiles.gif
I can spread this info around in educating my sisters,family members and workmates about what to look for in fake MAC etc.There was one very valid point which several of my mates got caught on...they bought MAC pigments...on eBay,looked very,very genuine apart from 1 small bit which you mentioned..box has *MADE IN USA* jar has *MADE IN/FABRIQUE AU CANADA*we binned few of them but I kept one and will post a photo later .Thanks again we wouldnt be any wiser if it wasn't for our info.

Thanks for taking the time to read the guide and be safe! My signature has the updated fake MAC pigments guide as well. Please check that as the counterfeiters are smarter at making them look more genuine nowadays.
angry.gif

Mui

Hi everyone!

I just finished reading all the posts here, and I have to admit this is really educational. I once bought a naked pigment (last year or so), and I believe the one I got was fake because the box was broken and what not. However, at that time I wasn't really sure what I should do, so I just tossed it.
ssad.gif

And I couldn't help recently, but want to purchase Your Ladyship pigment and Sweet Sienna pigment >_<. I was just wondering if any one could just advise me whether or not the pigments shown in the picture is authentic or not? Even though I tried to look at it, the picture might seem a little small. I might have to post pictures after I get the product.

MAC EYESHADOW PIGMENT ~SWEET SIENNA~ ANTIQUITEASE NIB - eBay (item 290290990924 end time Feb-14-09 23:01:51 PST)

MAC PIGMENTS YOUR LADYSHIP EYESHADOW BNIB ANTIQUITEASE - eBay (item 190286193976 end time Feb-16-09 16:52:24 PST)

Thank you once again >_<.. I really appreciate this!

GlitterLids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mis_Prim
Thanks. I think its impossible too. I havent recieved them yet, I will post a picture when I do. I e-mailed the seller about a million times and she assured me they were authentic from the department store...we'll se if they're fake or not. Thanks again.

Hi!!!! THAT is the same seller I have bought a bunch from--she has been very responsive and nice and stands by her story that they are lots from dept. stores and CCOs. She also said that she took them to MAC and they were verified and encouraged me to do the same.

Also--is the slghtly opaque label on the bottom of the jar absolutely a fake? i have a couple older pigments that have labels like this. I also have an OLD Blue Brown from MAC that has the batch code stamped on the bottom.... It's like Cheryl said... I ahve 40+ authentic pigments from MAC and macpro (I have a friend who lets me grab a couple things on her orders every now and then) and I have jars with thick writing, thin, loose caps, weird fitting caps, odd labels, odd fonts--all authentic from MAC. I also have 2 MAC Emerald greens years apart and the pigment itself is slightly different (VERY close) but ever so slightly different. Different batches.... may have different results. ?????

Oh--and I just got a new pigment frm macpro--another emerald green--and the box says Made in USA but jar says made in Canada... and it's 1,000,000,000% real....straight from MAcpro.com

BellaItalia1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xqueeze_me
Thanks for taking the time to read the guide and be safe! My signature has the updated fake MAC pigments guide as well. Please check that as the counterfeiters are smarter at making them look more genuine nowadays.
angry.gif

Thanks
yes.gif
i know what you mean
angry.gif
huh some sellers on eBay are just so devious too,they will post on the auction meaningless statements such as "Bought in US,from Mac store,or I used to work for MAC and getting rid of my hoard" yeahhh
here is one ...seller worked for MAC ??
231412779_tp.jpg

BNIB Eyeshadow Pigment Full Size 7.5g Steamy Blue #A24 on eBay, also, Eye Shadow, Make-Up Cosmetics, Health Beauty (end time 01-Mar-09 20:24:10 GMT)
I must add that one of my eBay fake pigments,had the scratches on the box,very smudged font on the jar and the actual box fell to bits when i tried to take the pigment out !Wish I had read this thread earlier ...but better late then never
sneaky.gif

GlitterLids

Last year, I got a cornflower pigment from ebay (can't remember from whom--box is long gone and so is plastic inner disc)... After discovering Specktra, I have become OBSESSED with making sure I am using authentic MAC pigments. i went through my 60+ colelction and weeded out the 20 from ebay (bought over the last 2 years).

About 6 (all pro colors interestingly) had the shiny lids but the rest had matte lids. The 6 with shiny lids I suspected might eb fake ...but the rest i wasn't sure so I conducted and experimentand ordered a brand new cornflower from mac which arrived today. The new Cornflower from MACis always on the left in all the pics--the "fake" one is always on the right--BOTH lids are matte--they smell EXACTLY the same--that same "sweet" powdery smell like Cover Girl powder.... the "fake" color is actually slightly deeper and richer--when swatched, both stay on even when rinsed with water.... Both have the EXACT same texture as you can se ein the photo...One says A78 (new one) and one says A76...both have silver labels....slightly different bottoms--on the 'fake" one the serial number (4 digit # on the side of the bottom of the jars) is small font.... I truly do not know what to make of this--I actually like the "fake" color better!!!!!!! What do you think? I don't want to throw out my "fake" cornflower because I am not convinced it's fake--the color difference is so slight, it might be a batch issue, no????? I am really perplexed.