Identifying fake MAC Pigments ***Guide with photos***

GlitterLids

Oh--and remember that rule "if the box lid has indents, it's fake"...well, my brand new cornflower box has the indents!!!! and it just arrived straight from MAC!

th_dunno.gif

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitterLids
Oh--and remember that rule "if the box lid has indents, it's fake"...well, my brand new cornflower box has the indents!!!! and it just arrived straight from MAC!

th_dunno.gif

Nope - these are NOT the indents we were talking about. What we were talking about is slits on the box lids that actually form tabs when its folded. What you have is authentic - as shown before
smiles.gif

panda0410

Quote:
Last year, I got a cornflower pigment from ebay (can't remember from whom--box is long gone and so is plastic inner disc)... After discovering Specktra, I have become OBSESSED with making sure I am using authentic MAC pigments. i went through my 60+ colelction and weeded out the 20 from ebay (bought over the last 2 years).

ABout 6 (all pro colors interstingly) had the shiny lids but the rest had matte lids. The 6 with shiny lids I suspected might eb fake ...but the rest iw ans't sure so I conducted and experiemtn and ordered a brand new cornflower from mac which arrived today. The new Cornflower from MACis always on the right The last pic shows the FAKE on the right actually- and YES it is fake, its in a fake jar in all the pics--the "fake" one is always on the left--BOTH lids are matte--they smell EXACTLY the same--that same "sweet" powdery smell like Cover Girl powder.... the "fake" color is actually slightly deeper and richer--when swatched, both stay on even when rinsed with water.... Both have the EAXCT same texture as you can se ein the photo...One says A78 (new one) and one says A76...both have silver labels....slightly different bottoms--on the 'fake" one the serial number (4 digit # on the side of the bottom of the jars) is small font.... I truly do not know what to make of this--I actually like the "fake" color better!!!!!!! What do you think? I don;t want to throw out my "fake" cornflower because I am not convinced it's fake--the color difference is so slight, it might be a batch issue, no????? I am really perplexed.

This one is definitely fake, shows the problem in the base of the jar. If you want more info like always please PM me
smiles.gif

Authentic on left Fake on right
fakecornflower.jpg

GlitterLids

Hi--yes--I made a typo in my original post--but you saw it anyway. wow. Yes--the new cornflower form MAC is on the LEFT. =o)

GlitterLids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mui
Hi everyone!

I just finished reading all the posts here, and I have to admit this is really educational. I once bought a naked pigment (last year or so), and I believe the one I got was fake because the box was broken and what not. However, at that time I wasn't really sure what I should do, so I just tossed it.
ssad.gif

And I couldn't help recently, but want to purchase Your Ladyship pigment and Sweet Sienna pigment >_<. I was just wondering if any one could just advise me whether or not the pigments shown in the picture is authentic or not? Even though I tried to look at it, the picture might seem a little small. I might have to post pictures after I get the product.

MAC EYESHADOW PIGMENT ~SWEET SIENNA~ ANTIQUITEASE NIB - eBay (item 290290990924 end time Feb-14-09 23:01:51 PST)

MAC PIGMENTS YOUR LADYSHIP EYESHADOW BNIB ANTIQUITEASE - eBay (item 190286193976 end time Feb-16-09 16:52:24 PST)

Thank you once again >_<.. I really appreciate this!

Hi again. I can tell you this seller is selling fakes--i got several from her: revved Up, Apricot Pink, Your Ladyship (@$31.99!!!
angry.gif
), and Naval blue.

ss111131 also sold me fake pigments.

Xqueeze_me

The Cornflower on the right looks like its from the same batch of 8 counterfeits pigments from last year.

Pictures courtesy of miss.vampira

pigment8oo8.jpg

pigment2hh8.jpg

pigment1ma4.jpg

Here's a little idea of how counterfeit MAC pigments and eyeshadows are delivered...

Picture sourced from a Specktrette (Sorry I forgot!)

FakeMAClot.jpg

panda0410

Quote:
Hi again. I can tell you this seller is selling fakes--i got several from her: revved Up, Apricot Pink, Your Ladyship (@$31.99!!!
angry.gif
), and Naval blue.

Yep, and this seller was recently discussed as having a very questionable Entremauve as well from recollection....

GlitterLids

here is a snapshot of the fakes I got stuck with before I knew better. Missing are Deep Purple, Platinum, and Smoke Signal. I thought I was a savvy shopper but you really have to gete ducated. You do NOT want to put some unknown powder on your eyes--plus I also have an issue with counterfeit merchandise--I don't but kock off anything--it's wrong and often child labor is involved. If i can't afford it/find it, I'll do without it.

THANKS to all the helpful ladies here who helped me work through my stash and get rid of the garbage.
th_worship.gif
clap.gif

lara

Please put all your qualifying information in a public posts instead of hiding it away in a PM - the more information is readily available for everyone to access, the better equipped everyone is to identify fakes.

panda0410

No thank-you Lara - I wont be.

I am and have always been more than happy to help people, and besides - its MUCH easier to email a pic than to have to post them repeatedly here.

We have asked for forum tidy several times as threads and individual posts are lost in countless other posts and it has still never happened, I will be sticking to emails and PMs ~ Or skype if anyone wants to chat
winks.gif
Besides which there are several other good reasons not to post that info here anymore, as was discussed at length most recently here in this very forum.

panda0410

Quote:
here is a snapshot of the fakes I got stuck with before I knew better. Missing are Deep Purple, Platinum, and Smoke Signal. I thought I was a savvy shopper but you really have to gete ducated. You do NOT want to put some unknown powder on your eyes--plus I also have an issue with counterfeit merchandise--I don't but kock off anything--it's wrong and often child labor is involved. If i can't afford it/find it, I'll do without it.

THANKS to all the helpful ladies here who helped me work through my stash and get rid of the garbage.
th_worship.gif
clap.gif

Yikes!!! I have seen some of these exact same pigments from other people
ssad.gif
Golden Olive was one of them
ssad.gif
The Revved Up, Rushmetal, Apricot Pink & Rose Gold all came out in the same issue of fakes, I remember when they were circulating the "lots" in that group of colours!! And there is a fake Sweet Sienna that goes hand in hand with fake Your Ladyship as well!

I stopped buying pigments off ebay a long time ago, I cant remember the last time I did, it was last year some time.... the risk just isnt worth it, but there are still a few good sellers that you can trust for authentic pigments
smiles.gif

Mui

Quote:
angry.gif
), and Naval blue.

ss111131 also sold me fake pigments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
Yep, and this seller was recently discussed as having a very questionable Entremauve as well from recollection....

OH NOES >_<!!
I guess I'll have to talk to her after I get my pigments and get a refund..

Hmm. I think I might have skimmed past the post about this seller! Stupid me!! Tsk.. I should read more carefully.. damnit.

At least.. hopefully.. the Sweet Sienna seems real.. ... hopefully. D:!!!

Thank you so much for your comments! You guys really saved me!!

Edit:
Turns out, I didn't end up buying from that seller!
WOOHOO! XD Guess I DID read the past few pages and the other threads!

By the way, I was just wondering, whats the batchcode for Sweet Sienna pigment? A77?

Mui

Please excuse the double post!!
I got the pigment and I was just wondering if someone could be so kind and to help me make sure this is authentic?
Thank you so much >_< I really appreciate this! I tried to already follow the guidelines to see if my pigment is fake or not, and seriously, I think that its genuine.. The only think I'm not too sure about is, that according to the guidelines, at the back, the box should have that little booklet, but mine doesnt. :/ So I just thought I'd ask the many experts in this thread to help me out >_<!

I REALLY REALLY appreciate this!

All the pictures are taken by natural sunlight (or whatever sunlight there was.. because it was a gloomy day). I didn't use flash.
The only picture that is a little different, is the last one (the picture showing the bottom of the pigment.) I forgot to take the picture earlier when there was still sun, and only realized it at like 11ish pm at night @_@;

Once again, thank you!!

julie150463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mui
Please excuse the double post!!
I got the pigment and I was just wondering if someone could be so kind and to help me make sure this is authentic?
Thank you so much >_< I really appreciate this! I tried to already follow the guidelines to see if my pigment is fake or not, and seriously, I think that its genuine.. The only think I'm not too sure about is, that according to the guidelines, at the back, the box should have that little booklet, but mine doesnt. :/ So I just thought I'd ask the many experts in this thread to help me out >_<!

I REALLY REALLY appreciate this!

All the pictures are taken by natural sunlight (or whatever sunlight there was.. because it was a gloomy day). I didn't use flash.
The only picture that is a little different, is the last one (the picture showing the bottom of the pigment.) I forgot to take the picture earlier when there was still sun, and only realized it at like 11ish pm at night @_@;

Once again, thank you!!

You're ok! The silver marker on the back of the box is an idicator that the item has passed through a CCO store. There's usually a big white sticker on it too - but don't worry if yours doesn't have one.

Mui

Thank you so much!!!
greengrin.gif
!

P.S. What would you do if you found two different sellers, but having the same picture?

Twinkelstar

This information comes in really handy.. I've avoided buying pigments online.. Buth with these guidelines I might just try..

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mui
Thank you so much!!!
greengrin.gif
!

P.S. What would you do if you found two different sellers, but having the same picture?

Either they're the same seller OR one seller illegally used the other seller's pictures) OR different sellerS but given permission to use the other seller's picture(s). What I'd normally do when I can be bothered is let the seller know that their picture(s) have been used by other sellers. I think I've only done it a couple of times though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkelstar
This information comes in really handy.. I've avoided buying pigments online.. Buth with these guidelines I might just try..

The criminals have made better fakes now and it is extremely difficult to tell unless you have it physically and in hand to compare with a guaranteed authentic MAC from the MAC counter/store. I'd say you're better off not buying from eBay just to be safe because majority of the sellers are selling fake MAC. There are a few sellers who are recommended here for selling authentic MAC though! I'm at work now so I can't scout for them but I am sure it is a recent post with the names of the authentic MAC eBay sellers!
smiles.gif

Sojourner

Help! I recently got a pigment in a swap and the jar has feint horizontal lines in the glass, below the surface in the glass, if that makes any sense, is that a sign of a fake?

I'll try and post pictures, I did try to take some I'm not very good at it and they came out all blurry :p

I have the genuine pigment (though not in it's original jar since I shared it with a friend) to compare it to and there is no difference that I can spot in the actual colour, is it possible that it's still fake?

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner
Help! I recently got a pigment in a swap and the jar has feint horizontal lines in the glass, below the surface in the glass, if that makes any sense...is that a sign of a definite fake?

I understand what you're saying. From what I can remember, all my authentic pigments have those lines/ridges as well BUT we can't use that to extinguish whether it is fake or not. I haven't been kept up to date with fake pigments eversince the analysis from last year but I heard that the fakes are as real as the authentic pigments now.

Latest posts