Identifying fake MAC Pigments ***Guide with photos***

tropical

Hi there, I also eanted to quick buy some MAC pigments (and other things) from ebay, since we here (in Croatia) don't have MAC stores or retailers but this entire forum and thread was eye opening and I think I'll rather wait for my friend to move to San Francisco in few months when she can send me some originals directly from stores. Thank you so much for saving me some money!

pink_bunny

Hi everyone, I bought two MAC pigments from two different Aussie sellers. Once received, both looked authentic: barcode stick beneath the box was there, both had a paper booklet inside, both had round black stickers on the lids of the box, both had a silver round sticker with the 3 digit code + name of the colour beneath the jar.

However, one of the boxes had yellow/off-white printing and the other had white printing, but did not have the list of ingredients listed on the side of the black box.

Also, can you tell if its Fake based on the spacing on the ''M'' and ''A'' from 'MAC'' which is printed on the actual jar?? The real MAC pigment which I bought from the counter has a very very slight gap from the M and A, however, the two pigment jars bought off ebay were more spaced out.

I emailed both sellers and they say they guantee it is 100% authentic and that they bought them from a ''MAC distributor from the USA''. Is that even possible? Purchsing MAC from a MAC distributor? How can I reply to them back?

usmcwife27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_bunny
Hi everyone, I bought two MAC pigments from two different Aussie sellers. Once received, both looked authentic: barcode stick beneath the box was there, both had a paper booklet inside, both had round black stickers on the lids of the box, both had a silver round sticker with the 3 digit code + name of the colour beneath the jar.

However, one of the boxes had yellow/off-white printing and the other had white printing, but did not have the list of ingredients listed on the side of the black box.

Also, can you tell if its Fake based on the spacing on the ''M'' and ''A'' from 'MAC'' which is printed on the actual jar?? The real MAC pigment which I bought from the counter has a very very slight gap from the M and A, however, the two pigment jars bought off ebay were more spaced out.

I emailed both sellers and they say they guantee it is 100% authentic and that they bought them from a ''MAC distributor from the USA''. Is that even possible? Purchsing MAC from a MAC distributor? How can I reply to them back?

who are the sellers?? "ebay ids" and can u post pictures?? thats the only real way to tell and panda can teel you
winks.gif

pink_bunny

copperized.jpg

I hope this photo loads up... This is the pigment that I think is counterfeit
The printing in the photo (BELOW) looks white, however, it is clearly not white. Its an off-yellow colour. Also, the space that cuts the M and also the A on the jar looks prominent compared to my authentic MAC pigment from the recent holiday collection (shimmertime).

I have emailed the seller about this and her tone of writing sounded really stressful that I had brought up this issue. She also told me her mother is dying and she was having a 'major' stressful day etc...

(the round silver sticker has printed 'copperized' and has the code number: C37)

speedygirl247

Could you do a picture of the base of the jar, a close up picture with no flash?, there is one small detail the fakers have not perfected yet.

debbiefive

hello everyone. i am a new user to this site and i hope to get some advise on a mac pigment i have got though a swap. the label on the bottom is black with the numbers in white that say A25, could anyone tell me if this is real and also the colour, because it came with no box. the colour i swapped for was softwash grey. i do know its not that colour as i have one to compare it with. but i have no clue what colour it is. it is a sliver colour when i tested it on my hand. i hope someone can let me know what it might be. i will look foward to hearing off anybody that might be able to help. thanks.

pink_bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygirl247
Could you do a picture of the base of the jar, a close up picture with no flash?, there is one small detail the fakers have not perfected yet.

here are some close up photos

Eleentje

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiefive
hello everyone. i am a new user to this site and i hope to get some advise on a mac pigment i have got though a swap. the label on the bottom is black with the numbers in white that say A25, could anyone tell me if this is real and also the colour, because it came with no box. the colour i swapped for was softwash grey. i do know its not that colour as i have one to compare it with. but i have no clue what colour it is. it is a sliver colour when i tested it on my hand. i hope someone can let me know what it might be. i will look foward to hearing off anybody that might be able to help. thanks.

It's a fake, sorry
thmbdn.gif

Eleentje

And that copperized is also a fake, unfortunately.
The inconsistent spacing/comma in front of 26 oz rather than a dot...

pink_bunny

Thank you ladies for all your help in identifying the authenticity of my copperized pigment. I have given that ebay seller neg feedback, so if you are interested in buying mac from ebay make sure you check their feedback!

I also have one last pigment that I need help with. This ebay seller is from Australia and has 100% 5,000+ positive feedback. Please have a look at the photos and let me know what you think, TIA!

Eleentje

I think this one is probably fake as well? I don't see all 3 numbers through the base of the jar? And also I don't see those grooves on the inside of the jar. Although I'm not sure whether it's because the photos were taken from a certain angle.

By the way, can people with Circa Plum pigment confirm that the plastic see-through lid of this pigment doesn't have any numbering at all? I've got a few jars of it along with a bunch of other Mac items which are all definitely legit, and that's the only pigment that had such a lid. This is the only piggy that was produced in 2009, so I'm wondering if it could be a production fault or it's something new with 2009 pigments?

1165Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleentje

By the way, can people with Circa Plum pigment confirm that the plastic see-through lid of this pigment doesn't have any numbering at all? I've got a few jars of it along with a bunch of other Mac items which are all definitely legit, and that's the only pigment that had such a lid. This is the only piggy that was produced in 2009, so I'm wondering if it could be a production fault or it's something new with 2009 pigments?

Yes, Circa Plum was made with different plastic lids, I got a few from MAC and they were all like that.

pink_bunny

I did some research and according to vogue forums the ebay seller who sold me mac pigments sells fake MAC! avoid aussie seller 'beautysecret12'
she has 8000+ positive and 100% fb... i don't know why she hasn't been given any negatives. I think people only realise they have received fakes after giving +ve fb. I asked her for a FULL refund as I had purchased $100aud worth of products and she offered free shipping. She quickly replied and gave a FULL REFUND.

aussiemacluvrrr

^^ I got caught out by her as well when I first started buying MAC... Luckily I only got one pigment and a blush! I'm sure people have bought hundreds of dollars of product from them not realising they are fakes

hyazinth

Yesterday I met a friend and we accidently got to talk ebay and I told her about the problems I had with fake pigments I bought there. That was when she told me that a while ago she also bought from a seller on ebay.
I got to look at them and I think they are fake. The lovely lily surely is I think but I am not that sure about the frost pigment.
Since she has no computer at the moment she asked me, if I could post for her. Her wish is my order
winks.gif
And also I am curious, if I am right.
So we took pics and here they are:

lovely lily:
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...lybackonly.jpg
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...c/lilyback.jpg
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...yjarbottom.jpg

frost:
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...tjarbottom.jpg
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...stbackonly.jpg
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q.../frostback.jpg

What do you think? Both are fake?
Thanks a lot!

hyazinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
Both are fakes. Errors on both bases and on both of the backs of the jars! Nice sleuthing
winks.gif

Thank you panda. Thought so too. I'll get back to my friend... It really is a shame that so many ebayers sell fakes.
angry.gif