MAC 2012 "Making Pretty" Couture Collection Discussion (December 2012)

Mac-Guy

OMGGGGGGGGG!!!! i've been looking for that brush forever! ;( (the 174) how much was it?
I believe it was $54 (+ tax). It's my favorite brush for loose powder application as it has by far the softest hair ever. I got five 174 in my collection now, so I should be all good for the years to come. I was very lucky that I actually found it as this brush is so rare. Hopefully, it comes back one day.

KMQE716

I believe it was $54 (+ tax). It's my favorite brush for loose powder application as it has by far the softest hair ever. I got five 174 in my collection now, so I should be all good for the years to come. I was very lucky that I actually found it as this brush is so rare. Hopefully, it comes back one day.
ahhh you are so lucky!!...do you mind me asking what CCO this was?

i have been so devastated about my 174, as when i got it in the mail, i kept it in a bag, and then i ended up going into labor and when we came back home, we cleaned up and someone mistaken it for trash and threw away my brush!!!! i still can't get over it!!
cry.gif

Mac-Guy

i have been so devastated about my 174, as when i got it in the mail, i kept it in a bag, and then i ended up going into labor and when we came back home, we cleaned up and someone mistaken it for trash and threw away my brush!!!! i still can't get over it!!
cry.gif
Send me a PM, hun.

MissTT

Question: is the 282 brush in this collection NOT equivalent to the 282SE which is a duo fibre brush? I'm so confused by this set.

Mac-Guy

Question: is the 282 brush in this collection NOT equivalent to the 282SE which is a duo fibre brush? I'm so confused by this set.
The 282SE is actually the 286SE. They made a mistake when they printed it :)

The official blurb I got from MAC says: "Opp! (We switched the brush names). The brush marked 286SE is actually 282SE, and vice versa."

MissTT

The 282SE is actually the 286SE. They made a mistake when they printed it :)

The official blurb I got from MAC says: "Opp! (We switched the brush names). The brush marked 286SE is actually 282SE, and vice versa."
I've got the Ice Parade Mineralize brush set which is supposed to include the 286SE and the 282SE. Or am I confused again?

MissTT

No the Making Pretty brush is the 282. However, the 282SE was listed as being in both the 2011 & 2012 holiday brush sets. It's a flat shader brush. Mac-Guy got information that it was printed incorrectly, but that would mean the brush was listed incorrectly two years in a row I think.

eta: I was responding to jenntoz, but now am seeing Mac-Guy's response and am still confused. Are you saying the Making Pretty 282 is actually the 286? The 286SE is a blending brush, right?

BuickMackane

cry.gif
All this talk about 174 made me google it. OMG!
icon_eek.gif
Instant lemming!

If anyone spots it at a CCO and is willing to do a CP please please pretty please give me a shout!

Mac-Guy

icon_eek.gif
Instant lemming!

If anyone spots it at a CCO and is willing to do a CP please please pretty please give me a shout!
It's been d/c for quite some time now, so the chances are slim, especially as it was a Pro-only brush. But good luck on your search. I hope you find it.

Yazmin

icon_eek.gif
Instant lemming!

It's been d/c for quite some time now, so the chances are slim, especially as it was a Pro-only brush. But good luck on your search. I hope you find it.
I'm still keeping an eye out for it, just in case. My CCO still has the 136, so that alone gives me a little hope to cling to.

MissTT

I just received my brush set a couple of days ago. The 136 is INCREDIBLY soft. I could pet it all day. The 282 is soft and firm. The rose gold is so beautiful and classy. I wish more brushes featured this color. The shagreen is meh. I'm afraid it will get dingy and that moisture will eventually make it separate from the brush. The brush case is flimsy as all get out. I was quite surprised when I picked it up. Seems like something you would pick up on eBay from Hong Kong. If this set hadn't been so fairly priced I would have been mad.
*Sorry about the lighting. It's winter and always difficult to find a good time when I can take pics.

Yesterday I went to the CCO and lo and behold I found a 136 (and a 189). Since I really only wanted to try the 136 from Making Pretty I picked it up for $44. Super duper soft and I could pet it all day. I decided to compare the 136 from both collections and now I'm troubled. The Making Pretty brush is noticeably more dense than the older CCO version. It's also wider. The ferrule of the MP brush is not as wide as the CCO version. The MP was made in China; the CCO was made in France. The handle on the CCO version is almost 2" longer. For this type of brush I'm not sure which would be better. I've never had a flattened powder brush like the 136 so I'm not sure which features make it work the best. Any hints from those familiar with this brush?
I'm too busy to take lots of comparison photos so hopefully it's noticeable here. When you view them from the side you can see a big difference in density:

Pinkdollface

I just received my brush set a couple of days ago. The 136 is INCREDIBLY soft. I could pet it all day. The 282 is soft and firm. The rose gold is so beautiful and classy. I wish more brushes featured this color. The shagreen is meh. I'm afraid it will get dingy and that moisture will eventually make it separate from the brush. The brush case is flimsy as all get out. I was quite surprised when I picked it up. Seems like something you would pick up on eBay from Hong Kong. If this set hadn't been so fairly priced I would have been mad.
*Sorry about the lighting. It's winter and always difficult to find a good time when I can take pics.

Yesterday I went to the CCO and lo and behold I found a 136 (and a 189). Since I really only wanted to try the 136 from Making Pretty I picked it up for $44. Super duper soft and I could pet it all day. I decided to compare the 136 from both collections and now I'm troubled. The Making Pretty brush is noticeably more dense than the older CCO version. It's also wider. The ferrule of the MP brush is not as wide as the CCO version. The MP was made in China; the CCO was made in France. The handle on the CCO version is almost 2" longer. For this type of brush I'm not sure which would be better. I've never had a flattened powder brush like the 136 so I'm not sure which features make it work the best. Any hints from those familiar with this brush?
I'm too busy to take lots of comparison photos so hopefully it's noticeable here. When you view them from the side you can see a big difference in density:

Thanks for the info about the difference between the old en new 136. They seemed different from the pics to me and I can see from your side by side pic that the new one is indeed denser. I like the fact that the old one is not dense actually, because it helps to apply coloured powders lightly all over the face. I have to be careful with bronzer and this brush is perfect for it. I also love it with a powder like Forever Marilyn or the Guerlain meteorites. I get the product on the tip of the brush and not on the side and because the brush is pinched it's easy to apply bronzer just on the contours of the face and not get it on too large parts of the face. With something like the 150 I think you will apply the product heavier and on larger parts so that's the main difference to me. If you like to be able to build up products than the old 136 is perfect. I can't speak about the new one of course. I'm jealous that you find one in the cco for only $44
tong.gif
I wish I could go to a cco and find gems like this brush...

MissTT

That is really helpful, Pinkdollface. I'm not always sure about the best use for things. I know it's trial-and-error and individual results may very, but I like having an idea about why things work the way they do. Now I feel much better about getting rid of the Making Pretty set. My bank account thanks you.

Pinkdollface

That is really helpful, Pinkdollface. I'm not always sure about the best use for things. I know it's trial-and-error and individual results may very, but I like having an idea about why things work the way they do. Now I feel much better about getting rid of the Making Pretty set. My bank account thanks you.
I'm glad I could help:) I also like to hear different idea's about how to use products. Sometimes other people have wonderful idea's that you would have never thought of yourself. I hope you'll enjoy the brush as much as I do!

Icecaramellatte

I finally saw this collection in person and I think I'm going to skip. I do think the brush set is a great value though. Now I understand my confusion. I have a #136 brush. I use it daily for blush although I know it is a powder brush. It looked so different from the Making Pretty one that I figured I got the number wrong. Congrats on finding a #189! I love that brush for MSFs and other highlighters. Very hard to find nowadays.

BuickMackane

Quote: Originally Posted by Pinkdollface
I'm jealous that you find one in the cco for only $44
tong.gif
I wish I could go to a cco and find gems like this brush...

Tell me about it. Reading about the stuff people find in CCOs makes my jaw drop (accompanied by uncontrollable drooling). We should get together and organise a CCO road trip!