MAC Hey, Sailor! (Summer 2012) Discussion

UrbanSweetheart

Decided to do swatches and comps. Now since the inside of my arm is lighter you can see the difference more so with NYX and BR, but I swear on my lips it's hardly different.
Runaway Red, Red Racer, NYX Sponge Cake, Blessedly Rich, Riviera Life, Sail La Vie, Scarlet Ibis

Flash

without
Thanks for the swatches love! That NYX Sponge Cake is lookin' niiiiice. And Red Racer
heart.gif

lmcmullen

I got my package this PM and so far have tried Red Racer and Emerald Sea. LOVE them both.

Believe it or not but I'm 47 years old and Red Racer is my first high-end red lipstick. I've never have the guts to wear it before, or can never find one with the right shade for me but this one really works on me. It's not too dark, which can make my lips look small, not too pink, which makes me look sallow, it's perfect for me (brunette, blue-gray eyes, NC20-25ish), and it's not too bright, which can look scary at my age.

Emerald Sea is plenty pigmented, not sure why T thinks it's too sheer. I have it on as an eyeliner top and bottom and it's fine.

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
Salute does not look very flattering to put it nicely
icon_eek.gif
. I think I would've gotten TCAS if it was a Glaze or Lustre, but I'm scared of Frosts.

BTW, how does that work? LOL.

Icecaramellatte

Oh goodness, how did I miss this launch? I was going to go to a June 1st event but I think I'm just going to order online. I thought I wasn't going to get anything but I think I'm going to get quite a bit. I'm still saving my big haul for Heavenly Creatures.

mac_aiken

Not sure where that came from as most find this to be a very supportive environment with relatively little drama compared to other sites.

Having said that I totally agree with not falling into the hype with any collection from any line. I am particularly proud that I have gone with my gut on this one and only ordered things that fill a gap in my stash.

As far as T goes, to each their own. I have mad respect for the swatching she does as I am sure it is a massive undertaking. I'll leave it at that.
soapbox.gif

Bee, I think you are a great addition to our community. I love reading your posts and seeing your pictures. You inspire me to work on my own skill set.
kissy.gif

This collection is over-hyped. Though I don't agree with T when it comes to makeup application and tips, I RESPECT her because she's not going to sugar coat or be a hype machine just because the products were sent for free. She keeps it real on her thoughts and you can't help but respect someone like that. The majority of the products are dupable. This collection is more expensive because of the limited edition packaging. My advice to you all is to use common sense, go with your gut instincts and don't fall into the hype. For instance, If you have a lot of red lipsticks, skip Red Racer! The Pro Longwear eyeshadows are better than the regular line so skip Feeling Fresh and go with Fresh Flare. You get double the product and better pigmentation. It's okay to ask for recommendations but I would never listen to anyone when I haven't seen their work. Anyone can swatch products on their hand. I'm the type of gal who wants to see you put the product into action in a look. But that's just ME. Only YOU know what you like. Don't let anyone on here make you feel obligated to buy everything.

And NO ONE on here knows EVERYTHING about makeup because if they did, they'd be somewhere teaching a class or working behind the scenes for high end fashion shows... NOT sitting on Specktra and trying to act like they're the Queen OR King of makeup. ;-)

We are all growing just like the next. No one is better than the other. I just thought I'd say this after observing some foolery on the board. ^___^

Anywho, I'm getting:

Blessedly Rich
Orange Tempera
Riviera Life
Sail La Vie

and calling it a day ! <3

Happy Hauling lovebugs.

-BEE

Piarpreet

Oh goodness, how did I miss this launch? I was going to go to a June 1st event but I think I'm just going to order online. I thought I wasn't going to get anything but I think I'm going to get quite a bit. I'm still saving my big haul for Heavenly Creatures.
as far as i know the harlem store still has most of stuff :)

Deadly

My only gripe with T is that I wish she would post in order of sell out risk ie lipsticks, lipglasses, eyeshadows, blushes then everything else lol.
I TOTALLY agree with you on this. I'm always so bummed to wait T's swatches of collection products and the first thing I see reviewed are (almost always) permanent pigments, nail lacquers or some other boring stuff that won't be likely to sell out in a long time.

BEEaboutmakeup

Not sure where that came from as most find this to be a very supportive environment with relatively little drama compared to other sites.

Having said that I totally agree with not falling into the hype with any collection from any line. I am particularly proud that I have gone with my gut on this one and only ordered things that fill a gap in my stash.

As far as T goes, to each their own. I have mad respect for the swatching she does as I am sure it is a massive undertaking. I'll leave it at that.
soapbox.gif

Bee, I think you are a great addition to our community. I love reading your posts and seeing your pictures. You inspire me to work on my own skill set.
kissy.gif
Awwww =) Thank you ! And you're welcome lovebug. :-* And about my little speech, I said what many were thinking. Overall, it's pretty positive but I've noticed that sometimes it can get a little crazy and a couple people think they're above others. I've worked for MAC for over 3 years, but I would never act like I'm the Queen B of makeup. I learn something new almost everyday. Nevertheless, I like being a part of the Specktra community. I've connected with some great people. ^___^

nudibelle

That was so catty for no reason This is first board I've ever been on that's so positive and supportive We are majority women an a great guy Let's support each other It's our money we can spend it anyway we want on whatever we want and if that's 50 reds well than so be it Kudos to you all I love this site! Still waiting for my order says Monday grrrrrr

duckrodeo

I just got my package and the packing slip says red racer and they sent me Mac red :(
Oh no! That's such a bummer when it happens but do call customer service, they are awesome and they'll for sure sort it out! They'll let you keep MAC Red and send you Red Racer :) It's happened a handful of times with past collections! Sorry that happened though :(

makeupgrrl

I definitely understand where you are coming from and I couldn't agree more! My advice would be don't just get stuff because everyone else hypes it up...go with what you like and you know you will wear. I think Red Racer is gorgeous...but personally I have a handful of red lippies that rarely get any love...so I'm good with passing on that one. A lot of the shadows in this collection look like others that I already own, so more money saved for me. Basically my point is don't feel bad because you missed out on something, or couldn't get everything you wanted...there will always be something else that you like just as much! I am a MUA and would really like to stress actually going to check out collections in person when possible, because no one here will no better than you about what you will like or won't like. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEaboutmakeup

This collection is over-hyped. Though I don't agree with T when it comes to makeup application and tips, I RESPECT her because she's not going to sugar coat or be a hype machine just because the products were sent for free. She keeps it real on her thoughts and you can't help but respect someone like that. The majority of the products are dupable. This collection is more expensive because of the limited edition packaging. My advice to you all is to use common sense, go with your gut instincts and don't fall into the hype. For instance, If you have a lot of red lipsticks, skip Red Racer! The Pro Longwear eyeshadows are better than the regular line so skip Feeling Fresh and go with Fresh Flare. You get double the product and better pigmentation. It's okay to ask for recommendations but I would never listen to anyone when I haven't seen their work. Anyone can swatch products on their hand. I'm the type of gal who wants to see you put the product into action in a look. But that's just ME. Only YOU know what you like. Don't let anyone on here make you feel obligated to buy everything.

And NO ONE on here knows EVERYTHING about makeup because if they did, they'd be somewhere teaching a class or working behind the scenes for high end fashion shows... NOT sitting on Specktra and trying to act like they're the Queen OR King of makeup. ;-)

We are all growing just like the next. No one is better than the other. I just thought I'd say this after observing some foolery on the board. ^___^

Anywho, I'm getting:

Blessedly Rich
Orange Tempera
Riviera Life
Sail La Vie

and calling it a day ! <3

Happy Hauling lovebugs.

-BEE

lmcmullen

Sail La Vie and Red Racer are both listed as COMING SOON on the mac site, so there must be a restock in the works.

I'm thinking of going back for Fleet Fast, a bronzer and the red lip pencil. Oh my aching wallet...

Latest posts