MAC Hey, Sailor! (Summer 2012) Discussion

makeupgrrl

I just got my package and the packing slip says red racer and they sent me Mac red
ssad.gif
I hate when my order gets screwed up...try calling customer service as soon as possible and most likely they can send you out the correct lipstick with free shipping. Hope everything works out!

liba

Salute does not look very flattering to put it nicely
icon_eek.gif
. I think I would've gotten TCAS if it was a Glaze or Lustre, but I'm scared of Frosts.

BTW, how does that work? LOL.

Salute is not Christine's color (at least maybe with that blush).
wondering.gif

It looked awesome on me the other day when I tested it out, though - way better than any of the Naturally nudes, by a long shot. I'm NC15 with red lips and the yellowishness in Salute cancels my lip color and blends well with the undertones in my skin (I had Immortal Flower blush on at the time, which was a great combo). Like she was saying, though, it was finicky to apply. It definitely needs smooth lips and probably a decent lip primer or creamy lip pencil underneath. I didn't reserve it, but I'm probably going to get it, since it's pretty much the best summertime nude for my skin I've run into in a few years. For the record, Restrict is my favorite nude for winter, Playing Koi is my spring nude and I can wear Sheer Mandarin sheen supreme without looking bizarre, just for further reference.

BEEaboutmakeup

The dare devil in me wants to try Salute. I have a feeling I can work magic on that lipstick with NYX's lip liner in Earth Tone or Coffee and my beloved Crystal Soda mega shine lip gloss.

liba

The dare devil in me wants to try Salute. I have a feeling I can work magic on that lipstick with NYX's lip liner in Earth Tone or Coffee and my beloved Crystal Soda mega shine lip gloss.
I bet you could work it. It DID look good with that kooky white Hey Sailor lipglass on top of it. Great lipstick color if you want to rock an ultra-retro 60's San Tropez look - big hair, black bathing suit and cat's eye sunglasses, woooo!
cooldude.gif

BEEaboutmakeup

I bet you could work it. It DID look good with that kooky white Hey Sailor lipglass on top of it. Great lipstick color if you want to rock an ultra-retro 60's San Tropez look - big hair, black bathing suit and cat's eye sunglasses, woooo!
cooldude.gif
Omgosh, yes !! I don't know if I mentioned it on here or not but the 60's and 80's are actually my absolute FAVORITE makeup decades. The way I do my makeup is a mixture of 60's and 80's.

Piarpreet

first time i actually like her make up (part of it)~~!!!!!
last 2 pictures: http://www.temptalia.com/mac-soft-sand-bronzing-powder-review-photos-swatches

T knows a lot about products and textures etc but im not keep on her make up style. but i liked this one.

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
first time i actually like her make up (part of it)~~!!!!!
last 2 pictures: http://www.temptalia.com/mac-soft-sand-bronzing-powder-review-photos-swatches

T knows a lot about products and textures etc but im not keep on her make up style. but i liked this one.
I agree.
yes.gif
Will have to disagree on her review of Soft Sand, though. I think it's a nice product - I can see what she means by the texture being stiff, but I don't find it problematic or hard to work with. I like it a lot and would actually get a backup, if I could afford it. Which I can't right now, LOL.

You look really beautiful in your new pic!

ladyarwen

After seeing reviews and swatches, I can honestly say that I don't think I'm missing out too much by skipping this collection. Compared to Surf Baby last year, Hey Sailor seems MUCH weaker, especially where the eyeshadows are concerned. I have dupes or will be getting dupes very soon for all of the lippies that I was interested in. So I'm a happy lady right now.

BEEaboutmakeup

After seeing reviews and swatches, I can honestly say that I don't think I'm missing out too much by skipping this collection. Compared to Surf Baby last year, Hey Sailor seems MUCH weaker, especially where the eyeshadows are concerned. I have dupes or will be getting dupes very soon for all of the lippies that I was interested in. So I'm a happy lady right now.
I 100% AGREE!!!

MACerette

This collection is over-hyped. Though I don't agree with T when it comes to makeup application and tips, I RESPECT her because she's not going to sugar coat or be a hype machine just because the products were sent for free. She keeps it real on her thoughts and you can't help but respect someone like that. The majority of the products are dupable. This collection is more expensive because of the limited edition packaging. My advice to you all is to use common sense, go with your gut instincts and don't fall into the hype. For instance, If you have a lot of red lipsticks, skip Red Racer! The Pro Longwear eyeshadows are better than the regular line so skip Feeling Fresh and go with Fresh Flare. You get double the product and better pigmentation. It's okay to ask for recommendations but I would never listen to anyone when I haven't seen their work. Anyone can swatch products on their hand. I'm the type of gal who wants to see you put the product into action in a look. But that's just ME. Only YOU know what you like. Don't let anyone on here make you feel obligated to buy everything.

And NO ONE on here knows EVERYTHING about makeup because if they did, they'd be somewhere teaching a class or working behind the scenes for high end fashion shows... NOT sitting on Specktra and trying to act like they're the Queen OR King of makeup. ;-)

We are all growing just like the next. No one is better than the other. I just thought I'd say this after observing some foolery on the board. ^___^

Anywho, I'm getting:

Blessedly Rich
Orange Tempera
Riviera Life
Sail La Vie

and calling it a day ! <3

Happy Hauling lovebugs.

-BEE
I love the way you speak your mind BEE. You're so right. Keep keeping it real.

kissy.gif

Lipstickdiva420

[COLOR=EE82EE]The dare devil in me wants to try Salute.  I have a feeling I can work magic on that lipstick with NYX's lip liner in Earth Tone or Coffee and my beloved Crystal Soda mega shine lip gloss.[/COLOR]
I got my salute today and tried it on and you can def work with the lipstick by adding liner or gloss.

LMD84

i don't think this collection has been overhyped. i prefer it to surf baby last year. but that said i didn't haul that much because i bought most of the naughty nautical collection and didn't feel the need to buy anymore products in the same kind of theme.

but for those who missed that collection i think this one is lovely with some great products. :) my only issue is that there should have been new pigments!

Mac-Guy

i don't think this collection has been overhyped. i prefer it to surf baby last year. but that said i didn't haul that much because i bought most of the naughty nautical collection and didn't feel the need to buy anymore products in the same kind of theme.

but for those who missed that collection i think this one is lovely with some great products. :) my only issue is that there should have been new pigments!
I´ve been busy the past few days, so I have to catch up with Specktra. But I agree with Lou that this collection has not been over hyped, at least not more than any other collection. Why is there talk about over-hype anyway - did I miss something?

MACerette

I got a lot of stuff from this collection, and even though some items may be dupable, I am still very happy with all that I got. No regrets, just
love.gif

I do think it's good that BEE spoke her mind and I agree with some of the things she said.

duckrodeo

I got my two-day shipping order tonight woop! It consisted of the blushes and the bag set.

The bag set is going to my mom because she looooves red, white and blue! She always has her makeup stashed in a big ziploc bag, until now hehee She'll be stylin'
heart.gif

I've only tried Launch Away so far, it's really light in the pan, but looks beautiful on my cheeks. I think it's going to be a great summery shade for me. Fleet Fast I will test out over the weekend and update my thoughts on later :) but the initial arm swatch looked very pleasing. The formula for these blushes are definitely in the same park as Tres Cheek. So soft and buildable!

The rest of my stuff will arrive on Wednesday. I'm soooo stoked to get my Red Racer!

I'm going to skip out looking for Sail La Vie since I'm not 100% convinced it will work for me and I'm going to call it "a day" to take a breather before Heavenly Creature. I am very eager to try Blessedly Rich with Scarlet Ibis, though! As inspired by Pixie's SLV + BR combo :)

Oh also: No tattoos for me :( weren't they supposed to be included with HS orders? This same thing happened to me with Shop/Cook. I only got stickers when I placed an order for Iris lippies during a restock that happened toward the middle or tail end of Shop/Cook's running

MACerette

I agree.
yes.gif
Will have to disagree on her review of Soft Sand, though. I think it's a nice product - I can see what she means by the texture being stiff, but I don't find it problematic or hard to work with. I like it a lot and would actually get a backup, if I could afford it. Which I can't right now, LOL.

You look really beautiful in your new pic!
I agree. It does not over apply easily. You can afford to swirl your brush in it without overdoing it. It is buildable and looks natural. I like it.

shontay07108

Skipping this collection. The couple of things I considered buying, I already have similar shades. Everything else is blah. I've been buying heavy from other brands and my needs have been met. :cheer: