MAC Hey, Sailor! (Summer 2012) Discussion

pemily

Skipping this collection. The couple of things I considered buying, I already have similar shades. Everything else is blah. I've been buying heavy from other brands and my needs have been met. :cheer:
Ooooooh what have you been hauling :) Do we have a busy forum for like non Mac related makeup hauls.,, one we all use to keep it interesting :)

liba

cheerleader.gif
Shontay!!!!! 'Haven't seen you around in the MAC threads for a while!
clapping.gif

I have to tell you.... Sail la Vie and Riviera Life - YOU of all people are going to love and adore these! You know i'm the anti-enabler as much as I see fit, but my dear , you shouldn't miss out on these - you, in particular. haven't seen a single picture online that has captured how amazing SLV or RL sre in person. Please check them out if you can!

(you know i don't usually do personal shout outs like this hehe)

shontay07108

Shontay!!!!! 'Haven't seen you around in the MAC threads for a while! :clapping: I have to tell you.... Sail la Vie and Riviera Life - YOU of all people are going to love and adore these! You know i'm the anti-enabler as much as I see fit, but my dear , you shouldn't miss out on these - you, in particular.  haven't seen a single picture online that has captured how amazing SLV or RL sre in person. Please check them out if you can! (you know i don't usually do personal shout outs like this hehe)
Heeey! I lurk mostly now or post under other brands. Haven't been buying much Mac lately. Apparently, I don't lurk nearly enough since the collection went up I don't know how long before I realized! I'm not much into lipglass these days and I own a lot of lipsticks from different brands in the same color family, so I'm gonna chill and wait for something exciting. Thanks for the shout out though. Glad someone remembers me. :lol:

shontay07108

I've been buying mufe, guerlain, Chanel, all the usual suspects. Just giving away all my money. I've been posting in the mufe, guerlain and Chanel forums here on specktra, though not the way I used to for Mac. I've been slacking. Haha.

romi79_2008

After seeing all the reviews, my only interest is in one of the prolongwear bronzers ( to try the formula) and the seaside bodyoil ( but I have some unused similar stuff from other brands) but I don`t know, I would like to see it in person, probably be able next month but it might be sold by then.

MACina

IMO a collection can not be overhyped because there are always people who love it and others who do not pay as much attention to it.And those who love it will hype it and the others won' t hype it that much.
Each collection has either more or less items that are "made for me" and that I would like to have.Of course I hype the items that I really love but that does not mean that other people like them as much as I do.However I like to read about the "hyped products" of others because it is kind of inspiration for me.It may enable me to try completely new colors and to discover that they do suit me and even if they are not exactly "made for me" it is kind of fun to make them work.
And that is one point why I love specktra so much....soooo much inspiration!!!
To be honest I like to be enabled because I would have missed out on so much without it.

Lou....I agree with you on the pigments!
I would have loved to see new shades....I hope that MAC will release a few new pigments later this year.

i don't think this collection has been overhyped. i prefer it to surf baby last year. but that said i didn't haul that much because i bought most of the naughty nautical collection and didn't feel the need to buy anymore products in the same kind of theme.

but for those who missed that collection i think this one is lovely with some great products. :) my only issue is that there should have been new pigments!

Pinkdollface

I´ve been busy the past few days, so I have to catch up with Specktra. But I agree with Lou that this collection has not been over hyped, at least not more than any other collection. Why is there talk about over-hype anyway - did I miss something?
I also agree with both of you that this collection hasn't been overhyped. I don't think it has more hype than Shop/Cook or Iris Apfel. I personally really like this collection and i agree that people shouldn't buy things because others say it's amazing. Everybody has a different taste and likes different product. I just really like to read what other people are enjoying of this collection and why they think those products are nice. When people talk that way about a product they love it isn't necessarily meant to create hype, it's meant to share the love we all have for makeup!

Pinkdollface

IMO a collection can not be overhyped because there are always people who love it and others who do not pay as much attention to it.And those who love it will hype it and the others won' t hype it that much.
Each collection has either more or less items that are "made for me" and that I would like to have.Of course I hype the items that I really love but that does not mean that other people like them as much as I do.However I like to read about the "hyped products" of others because it is kind of inspiration for me.It may enable me to try completely new colors and to discover that they do suit me and even if they are not exactly "made for me" it is kind of fun to them work.
And that is one point why I love specktra so much....soooo much inspiration!!!
To be honest I like to be enabled because I would have missed out on so much without it.

Lou....I agree with you on the pigments!
I would have loved to see new shades....I hope that MAC will release a few new pigments later this year.
I agree with you and especially the bold part! I've tried so many things because of specktra that i never would have tried without being enabled. Like now i'm going to try Chestnut l/s and i always was like no way i'm ever wearing a brown lipstick (i really hope it won't look crazy on me).

MACina

I can not wait to read your thoughts on it because I am still debating this one.
I agree with you and especially the bold part! I've tried so many things because of specktra that i never would have tried without being enabled. Like now i'm going to try Chestnut l/s and i always was like no way i'm ever wearing a brown lipstick (i really hope it won't look crazy on me).

MACerette

I also prefer this one to Surf Baby:) I hope we get some interesting pigments soon. I would like some really bright colours. They have had some brights with Fall Colour, but all were repromotes:(
I also agree with both of you that this collection hasn't been overhyped. I don't think it has more hype than Shop/Cook or Iris Apfel. I personally really like this collection and i agree that people shouldn't buy things because others say it's amazing. Everybody has a different taste and likes different product. I just really like to read what other people are enjoying of this collection and why they think those products are nice. When people talk that way about a product they love it isn't necessarily meant to create hype, it's meant to share the love we all have for makeup!
I agree. I really like this collection. I didn't get anything from Surf Baby. The only thing I wanted back then was the beauty powder / blush with the gold overspray. That was already sold out then. Although that bummed me out I didn't loose a second of sleep over it. S3/C3 really got my adrenaline going. I loooved (and still love) that collection. If spent a lot of time reading the forum here and got really excited. If I hadn't, and you Specktrettes hadn't enabled me (without even knowing me) I could have missed out on some wonderful products that I am still very happy with. The IA lippies, well....
heart.gif
If I wouldn't have lurked here, I wouldn't have known it would sell out that fast. Thanks to Specktra I made my move succesfully
choochoo.gif

It's true that when you read this forum you notice products you might have skipped if you hadn't heard much about them. It's true that other people's enthusiasm might drive other people to buy those things. But in the end, you're responsible for what you buy yourself. If you take the risk of buying things without swatching them, you might get disappointed or amazed. If you're not willing to take the risk, the safest thing is to check those things out in the store. Nobody can make anybody buy products. We do enable eachother here, which is nice for some people, but probably less sensible for others. I do quite some online ordering without swatching keeping in mind that the products might not live up to my expectations. I have not experienced that yet so far. I check multiple forums and form a picture in my head of what the product is like and then choose whether I want it or not.

Let's be honest, you don't actually need most of the stuff. You'll breathe without it. Life is so much nicer with it though...
love.gif

Ok, sensible moments is gone. Back to MACerette mode...

whitwhit86

I actually really love everything I got from this collection! :eyelove: I also feel a collection can never be overhyped! makeup is just exciting to me, especially with cute packaging. Also, when it comes to lipstick I'm sorry but I'm a MAC snob. I'm a nurse & work for 12 hours with hardly enough time to eat. So I definitely don't have time to constantly keep reapplying my lipstick which is the case with a lot of lipsticks *cough* NYX which only last like an hour on me & taste weird. so it's just a given I'm gonna get every lippie from each collection. I'm crazy like that. :D also, I feel like I'm the only one that likes Salute! i like the feel & it actually looks really pretty on me, can't remember what liner I paired it with, & I'm a darker skin tone. idk what I am in MAC, but I'm New Orleans in NARS.

aradhana

Decided to do swatches and comps. Now since the inside of my arm is lighter you can see the difference more so with NYX and BR, but I swear on my lips it's hardly different.
Runaway Red, Red Racer, NYX Sponge Cake, Blessedly Rich, Riviera Life, Sail La Vie, Scarlet Ibis

Flash

without
thanks for the swatches!

romi79_2008

I know what you mean. Twig ls looks brown on me though on others looks pinky-mauve, so I apply it all over the lips and tone it down with Hue ls. It gives me this natural looking lips, brown toned conturing and neutral and lighter in the middle that i really love and it stays on a long time

Pinkdollface

I know what you mean. Twig ls looks brown on me though on others looks pinky-mauve, so I apply it all over the lips and tone it down with Hue ls. It gives me this natural looking lips, brown toned conturing and neutral and lighter in the middle that i really love and it stays on a long time
Sounds nice. I need to try contouring my lips. I always use one colour on my lips, but it looks so nice on others when they use a darker colour in the corners and on the edges of the lips.

aradhana

i don't think this collection has been overhyped. i prefer it to surf baby last year. but that said i didn't haul that much because i bought most of the naughty nautical collection and didn't feel the need to buy anymore products in the same kind of theme.

but for those who missed that collection i think this one is lovely with some great products. :) my only issue is that there should have been new pigments!
same here, although i'm not sure i will end up with that many things from the collection all the same. i guess now that my collection has grown so much, i feel i need to draw the line someplace!

anyway, here's me with sail la vie yesterday...i think it looks kind of toned down compared to what it really was!

btw that's my first pic upload of myself on forums etc...(if you don't count my avatars)

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
I agree. I really like this collection. I didn't get anything from Surf Baby. The only thing I wanted back then was the beauty powder / blush with the gold overspray. That was already sold out then. Although that bummed me out I didn't loose a second of sleep over it. S3/C3 really got my adrenaline going. I loooved (and still love) that collection. If spent a lot of time reading the forum here and got really excited. If I hadn't, and you Specktrettes hadn't enabled me (without even knowing me) I could have missed out on some wonderful products that I am still very happy with. The IA lippies, well....
heart.gif
If I wouldn't have lurked here, I wouldn't have known it would sell out that fast. Thanks to Specktra I made my move succesfully
choochoo.gif

It's true that when you read this forum you notice products you might have skipped if you hadn't heard much about them. It's true that other people's enthusiasm might drive other people to buy those things. But in the end, you're responsible for what you buy yourself. If you take the risk of buying things without swatching them, you might get disappointed or amazed. If you're not willing to take the risk, the safest thing is to check those things out in the store. Nobody can make anybody buy products. We do enable eachother here, which is nice for some people, but probably less sensible for others. I do quite some online ordering without swatching keeping in mind that the products might not live up to my expectations. I have not experienced that yet so far. I check multiple forums and form a picture in my head of what the product is like and then choose whether I want it or not.

Let's be honest, you don't actually need most of the stuff. You'll breathe without it. Life is so much nicer with it though...
love.gif

Ok, sensible moments is gone. Back to MACerette mode...
I also shop everything online and therefore rely on swatches and reviews. That's why I highly value a place like Specktra. Even though I look at as much swatches as possible before ordering I did end up with products I didn't like. Because I didn't like the texture (hello Mega Metal e/s!) or they just didn't work on me. The good thing with MAC is you can still swap it or sell it. It's not like you completely wasted your money.

I definitely prefer Hey Sailor over Surf Baby, which I didn't like at all. I only got My Paradise, and even that wouldn't have been necessary.

I hope the Pro Longwear Bronzers will be repromoted or become perm eventually, because I really want to try them but I already spent too much this month.

Sugar & Spice

I'm going to call Nordies and have NoB switched to Sun Dipped because NoB looks extremely yellow on T so it would probably turn orange on me. Since the color of Sun Dipped is deeper it should still look natural. Also in the swatch of NoB I see shimmer and in Sun Dipped I see sheen, I prefer sheen.

Boasorte

This collection is a skip for me. I was interested in Sail La Vie lipstick, but it looks like I can achieve that look with my So Chaud lipstick and a smidgen of a red lipstick. I'm officially on a no lipstick buy until MAC By Request. The navy shadow looks good, but not something I need to have. I might be singing a different tune though about the shadow if I pass a MAC store soon haha.